Walgreens Employee Reviews in United States

Found 11,945 reviews matching the search
Constant mandatory overtime, management sucks
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLApril 22, 2016
I was an order picker from Aug to November. The pay is ok but the work is very tedious and redundant. Managment has very little respect of employees and will talk to you any kind of way. Constant mandatory overtime especially around October Nov, Dec, Some major holidays you arent off or just off the day before. Very little room for growth because you have to work at least 5 years to get promoted like all the other managers. Wouldnt recommend to the educated.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, only 40 hours unpaid time off
Not what you would think for such a large company
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILApril 22, 2016
I started at Walgreens Corp thinking this company is an established and a fine oiled machine, I am going to learn a lot here. When I got here it was more like working for a start up company. Been here 2 year still trying to get out of my department. I have worked with my non-communicative manager to reach my "goals" but all the bi-weekly sessions are empty and no discussions are based on where she would like me to be or where I am unless she has an issue.
Pros
Walgreens looks great on your resume
On the Go!
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSApril 28, 2016
A typical day at Walgreens is making sure that every customer that comes through the door is happy and healthy. Learning more about how I can help others stay happy and healthy gives me great satisfaction knowing I am making a difference. I enjoyed working in a management position and able to lead my dedicated, enthusiastic and hard working co workers who seemed more like family because we developed bonds. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing my customers and employees happy and being able to help them solve any problems they may have encountered. The hardest part was not being able to solve certain situations after I had exerted all my options and resources.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunches
An enjoyable sink or swim experience, that lets you know that you sre capable of the impossible if you are willin to put in the work
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Holly Hill, FLMay 1, 2016
An awesome experience of multitasking, demanding but responsible-workers. management and co-workers. Hardest part of the job is being responsible for everything while balancing my attention adequately to insure completion. The most enjoyable part of my job is molding new faces into confident distinguished employees.
Pros
Salary, insurance, benefits, vacation
Cons
Thecompany eliminated my position
Not as great as it used to be
Photo Specialist/CPhT/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  West Chicago, IL & Seattle, WAMay 23, 2016
Walgreens used to be an incredible company to work for. They took care of their employees, and fostered an incredible culture of striving for the health and happiness of both their customers and their employees. Nowadays, it's much less like that. Corporate continues to expect us to do the same caliber of work we used to, but with half the staff. And when we don't meet metrics, they slash hours even more.
Pros
Great coworkers, decent pay
Cons
Variable hours, terrible upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 11, 2016
It was very unorganized and it wasn't a safe environment. There would sometimes be security there but not all the time, and the people would only behave when corporate people came to visit. The break room was very disgusting and unhealthy. But the hours were flexible even though I traveled from Southwest, Philadelphia to Germantown Avenue. As far as management, they were nice people and were there when you needed them but sometimes you couldn't get in contact with them and would have to waiting outside until they opened up the door for my morning shifts.
Pros
hours
Cons
security
Challenging, dynamic environment
Area Manager, Industrial Engineering (Current Employee) –  Windsor, WIApril 21, 2016
This isn't your father's Walgreens. The company is continuing to transform itself to reinvent the retail model of a health, beauty and convenience provider in the United States. As in all publicly traded retailers, there is intense pressure to reduce costs while providing increased services. This can be challenging if not daunting at times as the scale of the operation is unmatched in small box retail.
Pros
Experience in a High volume, high mix environment
Cons
Constant cost pressure and reorganization, increasing sometimes unrealistic workload
I enjoyed my job very much, I was able to advance quickly. My schedule was flexible to my college classes
Senior Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Westmont, ILApril 22, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of setting goals for my self and my staff, pulling and ordering inventory, working side by side with customers. I delegated tasks as needed.

I learned to manage others in a way I'd like to be managed, I was always a source my staff could come to and share whatever was going on in their lives, personal or professional.

I loved the customers and became very close to many of them
Pros
I was able to work full time and go to school
Cons
wage was not equal to the job titile
Worked as a cashier and stocker of shelves
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 6, 2016
I was responsible for checking customers out at the register as well as restocking the shelves when there were no customers present.
I liked the interaction with the customers as well as my co-workers. I especially liked the way my co-workers and I worked as a team, which helped make for a more enjoyable day at work.
The hardest part of the job was trying to talk to a disappointed customer when a product they wanted wasn't available in our store or a neighboring store.
Pros
Customer and co-worker interaction
Cons
Disappointed customers
Easy job, just no chance for advancement.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCMay 4, 2016
Typical day begins with checking out customers at the register while I work on my daily task like putting up stock, or pulling stock out dates. Later on in my shift I would have to complete my daily chore between doing the floors, cleaning bathrooms, or taking out the trash. After that I would face my section of the store to get it ready for the next day. The management was really good, and taught me a lot about the Walgreens company. My co-workers were fairly nice, but seemed overloaded with work a lot. The hardest part of my job was learning how to do resets. The most enjoyable part of my job was making my customers happy.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
Short breaks
minimal instruction
pharmacy clerk,customer service (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 24, 2016
Co-workers were great. Management not all on the same page, or the same goals. Minimal one on one training offered, computer training was the only real opportunity. The computers that were offered for training were in poor working order. Hardest part of the job was the minimal training at registers. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was doing things that I saw were a need. Management telling me "as long as I have been her I have never seen anyone ever do that."
Pros
Being able to leave property for lunch
Cons
training
Pharmacy Technician @ Walgreens
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, TXApril 21, 2016
The job is as what's expected for someone with those responsibilities: fill prescriptions, use the computer to bill insurance and transcribe prescriptions, answer phone calls, verify patient orders, etc. Walgreens is a good company to work for, but they tend to lean for favorites, and a result, your hours can be cut short on a short notice or without any notice at all. There's also the ideal of "at will" employment, so you can also be laid off without any real reason. So as for job security, there is little to nothing guaranteed here.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short breaks, reduced hours
Productive workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Summerfield, NCApril 29, 2016
My work experience at Walgreens started off a little rocky. I was hired during a time period when the head manager was out due to surgery. The temporary manager hired me and gave me no training, so I was very uncomfortable for the first month or so. After that, things got a little better. Many of the employees would occasionally teach me things and show me the ropes along the way. Great people to work with. Very sweet and care about the customers.
Pros
Sweet staff members
Cons
Very inconvenient hours for shifts; not very flexible.
Productive work place
cashier (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXApril 22, 2016
A typical day at work included dispersing merchandise to the sales floor, checking out customers, and addressing any concerns, questions or issues they may have. In my brief time at Walgreens I learned to be more efficient in counting money in general and when counting down my drawer. Management over all was good. Store manager was very rude and disrespectful to emplyees. Hardest part of the job was sales tags (weekly & monthly). And the part I loved the most about my job was seeing my regular customers come in and knowing exactly what they wanted.
Low Wage Positions only
Photo Lab Specialist/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHApril 25, 2016
Walgreens is infamous for it's low wages. My position was no different. Even coming in with over 7 years of retail experience, they put me at nearly minimum wage, and only raised me once in over 3 years by $.05 .
The work is tough, and holiday work is especially awful.
My managers happened to be pretty decent people, but I know many stores have absolutely terrible management.
Wouldn't advise applying.
Pros
They will work around disabilities
Cons
Low wages, few benefits, random hours, work every Holiday, few opportunities
I really don't much care for this place
Certified Photo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spring, TX 77380May 3, 2016
Doing the photo center was pretty awesome, to be honest.

I got to help people with the problems they were having in their images (i.e., too much colour, too dark, etc...)

It was honestly one of the coolest jobs I've had so far.

HOWEVER, the pay was terrible, they'd force me into doing cashier work instead, and I got FIRED for telling a customer the truth.

So, really, why would you ever wanna work there again?
Pros
Photos of nude women
Cons
Literally everything else
Sr. Java/J2ee Developer (Current Employee) –  Rhode Island, RIApril 26, 2016
Walgreen undertook a strategic business transformation project called OneWalgreen/One Patient View project to provide consolidated view of cross-chain pharmacy customer and provider (eg. ScriptMed and IC+ Central) information to improve business agility through enhanced integrations between ERP, Master Data Management (MDM), BI and ODS systems with the strategic SOA Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) architecture which I was responsible for designing, developing and Implementing
Very busy work place
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 26, 2016
A typical day at work consists of stocking new items, giving the best customer service as possible, and making sure the store is presentable for the next day. I learned how to multitask with different customers and to sale suggestive products. Management told employees to do their tasks we as a team did everything. The hardest part of the job was the hours, their were a lot of employees working so it was difficult for everyone to have regular hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers find what they needed, and inform them of what they ask, and mention other things they are most likely to love.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
The pay
Performance oriented and accomplished Sr. Business Analyst offering an experience of around 8 years in the IT Industry.
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Walgreens, ILApril 27, 2016
• Ability to Interact with Project Managers, SME’s and Client directly to gather requirements.
• Strong analytical skills and methodical approach to problem solving.
• Ability to suggest improvements and collaborate with others to generate ideas and improve process.
• Strong practitioner of clearly written purposeful communication and direction.
• Excellent coordination skills, Documentation Skills, Team problem solving ability, analytical and programming skills in high speed, quality conscious, Multitasked environment.
its the best place to work because there is always something to learn
Senior Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 27, 2016
my typical day of work involve typing, filling and taking in prescription orders from costumers. I get the opportunity to assist different costumers based on their needs, for instant calling their insurance on their behalf, or educating and showing them the location of something they want to buy in the store. i have a supportive co-workers and we work together as a team and we recognize and celebrate each others birthdays. the hardest part of my job is when dealing with rude and upset costumers.