Walker Engineering Employee Reviews

Family - like
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2017
Great company to work for. Walker genuinely cares for their employees and their families. I got terminated from walker and they still tried to make sure that my family and myself had all we needed during the Hurricane and the aftermath. I have never worked for anyone that has done this. Even after I was terminated. Great company. I hope to get a chance to get in their family circle again, soon.
Pros
Great company
productive workplace
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 6, 2017
The hardest part of the job is working in a cold work environment specifically outdoors and having deadlines to complete tasks sometimes running out of material. The most enjoyable part is always learning how things are installed in different projects as an Apprentice Electrician (learning tricks of the trade).
Pros
always learning
Cons
Harsh work environments such as working outdoors in the winter, with a parking space about half a mile from your workstation.
Fun fast paced environment
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sun Valley, CANovember 2, 2017
great place to learn a multitude of skills and grow professionally, company promotes from within so advancement is very possible and employees are very well taken care of.
fast paced with strict work environment
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Houston, TxOctober 23, 2017
very strict work environment that is more like a prison than a jobsite and the foreman/superintendents like to put productivity of employee safety. They also tend to look for reasons to terminate employees when it gets to the end of a jobsite even though they say they have a lot of work
Pros
good co workers
Cons
bad management
No comment
Project Executive (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2017
Long hard workday.
Management was good.
Workplace culture was good.
Stress was very high.
Enjoyed solving the day to day problems and working with a staff of quality workers.
not a good place to be
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2017
walker doesn't seem to be able to provide the materials needed to complete the job and when the materials do come, we are expected to work excessive amounts of overtime to complete job. having management degrade and call you vulgar names isn't a plus either! constantly being threatened with your job isn't a healthy work environment.
Pros
Cons
there are no breaks, location of job, no material, leadership isnt logical
Good company, plenty of work. Very political when it comes to management.
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 12, 2017
I enjoy working for Walker but realize there isn't much room for advancement and jobsite management is out of order. I want to keep growing as an electrician and don't see that happening where I'm at.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Little room for advancement
Decent place to work
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2017
Depends who you work with the job can be a good place to work. no raises and there are no bonuses. benefits are comparable to other companies. decent place to work
Pros
work hours
Cons
pay
Generally a good place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2017
Management are nice and as long as you come in every and set your best foot forward you wont have a problem here. Good pay, comfortable environment, and great staff.
Walker Engineering
Junior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJune 13, 2017
Walker Engineering was a good place to work. There was lots of opportunities to learn and to grow. However, there was not much room for advancement.

Want to know more about Walker Engineering?

Ask a question
competitive professional work place
Electrical Foreman, leadman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2017
show up on the job site 30 minutes before work starts, before starting time there was always a safety meeting. Walker Engineering is serious about safety on there job sites and this something that i appreciate. Working with electricity is no joking making and the superintendent's that i worked under were very serious about getting the job done right and on time with no injuries. I learned a great deal from the time i was with Walker and would recommend this company to any electricians looking for work. You can advance fast with this company as long as you are smart and can manage people well. Leave your feeling at home and come ready to work hard and you will get the rewards from your accomplishments.
Pros
great manangment
Cons
salary
not good to work with
Foreman / Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2017
played favorites to much, always competing to keep your job, never who knows when they might lay you off, could never get enouth done to make them happy or you always got it done wrong
Pros
kept you working
Cons
had to keep an eye out
Work
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 28, 2017
Typically they split you up into the group you are going to go with to work with that day. You could be doing anything from running pipe to terminating wire. The hardest part of the job is the wire pulls and the extreme physical labor with my medical conditions (diabetes & bipolar). The easiest part of the job would probably be terminations although they can get difficult.
Pros
Benefits, Good Money
Cons
Hard on your body
Houston Office
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJanuary 19, 2017
My reason for leaving was New management changes. Loyalty and job security diminished. I was told more than once "I paid you on Friday. I do not owe you anything and You do not owe me anything."
Walker Electric
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Had work every day atmosphere was positive pay could have been better worked in the all weather elements 8 hour shifts no overtime
management could have been better
good work place
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2017
It's ok job. The pay could be better. And company tools are hard to find and come by. And sending employees to jobs closer to home would be helpful
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no breaks
Great Culture
Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2017
Management took great strides to improve culture. Everyone looks out for each other. Not hostile as it once was. Great health insurance and paid weekly.
Solid Engineering structure and contract support
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Huston TXJanuary 4, 2017
Walker is a strong company especially on the electrical and security systems. They also have a good AV system design and installation team.
Pros
Relaxed working place with great customer support
Cons
Overwhelming volume of work at times
Productive environment
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2016
Knowing that I am a participant in building Houston's Hospitals, Stadiums, Data Centers and local stores gives me great gratitude due to it will generate more jobs for our Country.
Very Stressful workplace
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2016
you just hated going to work cause you never would know how bad you would be treated that day No matter how well you did your job you would still be called out of your name and put down it was very hard to try to make a honest living
Pros
can not think of any
Cons
they just talk to you bad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walker Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9