Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 71,306 reviews matching the search
Depending on the location you work at, the company can be pretty decent, or absolutely horrible.
Bakery Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, KYFebruary 19, 2017
I've worked in three different locations, spanning six years, and feel that Walmart isn't as 'friendly' as they claim to be. The associates who work hard are always pushed harder, while the lazy associates get away with doing nothing and no one holds them accountable. All management teams I've worked with in each facility seem to struggle with the same thing; accountability. You're either told they're handling it and they forget, or nothing happens at all. Store managers themselves are rude and have very unrealistic expectations, I constantly felt like my managers wanted to see me fail more than they wanted me to succeed.
Pros
Great benefits for FT employees, job security, easy to learn processes
Cons
Never leave on time, breaks get missed altogether, zero appreciation from upper management on what DOES get done, barely any benefits for PT employees
Management only wants to flex their power, not achieve results
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Suisun City, CADecember 27, 2016
Management is typically highly uninformed and sets unrealistic deadlines without ever actually having done or observe the work being done. Days are stressful, heavy lifting constantly, stores are always extremely understaffed. Sometimes there are supervisors who understand workloads and are realistic in terms of deadlines, but rarely. Coworkers are usually good people who want to help customers and other co-workers so job culture is good. Job advancement is almost entirely political and whoever is the favorite, not based on knowledge or work performance. The most enjoyable part of the job is customer interaction.
Pros
Good Medical, 401k, Dental
Cons
Management, Staffing, Workload
Good Place To Work
CASHIER (SEASONAL) (Former Employee) –  Semmes, ALJanuary 5, 2017
Pretty easy job. You just have to be able to deal with crowds of people who may or may not be in the best mood. No matter what you are expected to stay positive and do whatever you have to in order to make sure things go smoothly and customers are not just satisfied but also extremely pleased. I would recommend working here because you just scan and bag and then restock your area. Really good job for those who don't mind standing and it being busy. If I wasn't just seasonal then I was planning on staying with them because they have great benefits and the management is very nice and understanding. You just have to take the time to get to know who you are working with for a good just to become a great job.
Pros
discount card after 90 days, work with your schedule
Cons
job security for those who ae seasonal
Very Well Structured Work Place
Walmart Cross Trained. (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work for me is coming in going to the managers office to print off my daily reports and duties, so far I have learned Walmart inside out I somewhat know Walmart like the back of my hand, not saying i know everything because i am still learning and striving to learn all there is to know about the company. Management, is just Management. The hardest par of my job? There is really no hard part, the work all the wok is fairly easy, you just cant be lazy because it is a lot of work. The most enjoyable part of my job are the customers, i love people i love to help others i get a thrill when i see a smile on my customers face because i was able to help and fix a problem for them.
Pros
Benefits and raises
Cons
Hours tend to drop frequently with in a blank of an eye because of sales.
Simple work and easy hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Murchison, TXJanuary 21, 2017
I have worked at Walmart in the past. I had to leave the store I was working at because of relocating with my family, but I had planned on quitting either way. The ,main reason I had decided to quit was because management changed my job title right before I was eligible to receive a raise, and then told me that they wouldn't do anything about it. I would have stayed at the company had the management been a bit better. The specific store was in Midlothian, Texas. The management was slacking and did not take care of the employees. I had a great time working there and would definitely go back under different management at a different store.
Pros
Short days, Simple work, Lots of interacting with people.
Cons
Not enough hours for employees, some workers get lazy, too many managers.
This is like a last resort job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 17, 2016
Walmart is all about how you make it, not saying working conditions were not terrible. Job security is one of the biggest issues for me because management would literally tell you that you could be replaced at the drop of a hat. The hardest part of the job was be able to get a raise. Typically when you get hired you are suppoosed to finish all the computer modules or (CBLs) at the job but I was thrown on to the sales floor without prior knowledge of what I was supposed to do. Of course you get to physically train with someone but when it is busy it is hard to grasp every thing you need to know. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is meeting need people from all walks of life.
Pros
Free meals on holidays, meeting new people
Cons
Inconsiderate management. job insecurity, unorganized management, unfair wages, rude costumers
Great company
Support manager (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKNovember 9, 2016
Retail doesn't give you a normal life at all ,you work holidays,but the people that were working with me were great ....as far as workload and etc everyone pulls their weight .I would often step up and knockout many projects that I wasn't supposed to.I still would say the company provides you with alot of great options ,their benefits are amazing they match 6% on your 401k after a year of employment.Everything is always changing,and is quite enjoyable to be honest ,it's work but it's a very team oriented atmosphere.Any of the big bosses,market managers,and even the senior VP of the southwest region were good people.Id say if you really look at it as a career it is a very accomplishable undertaking.
Pros
Team oriented, good pay, and a friendly atmosphere
Cons
Work on holidays, if in management long hours, extended periods on your feet, very fast paced.
decent job if your really in need for a fast job and money.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CODecember 13, 2016
i learned how to manage to work in multiple areas which helped me multitask a lot more. The management was a bit difficult because the boss was never really around to know what has been happening around so everyone would get in trouble for someones doing. Most of the co-workers were really nosy and wouldn't do there job as told so it was a bit hard to work with and communicate with. One of the hardest part of the job was the heavy work which was lifting boxes and pallets for 12 hours i really didn't mind but i wasn't getting paid the right amount for the job. I tried to see if we can get a raise because 9.00 an hour wasn't enough to maintain a proper life style. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn new things everyday and being able to adapt to them easily.
Pros
work experince
Cons
wasn't treated equally
Great Workplace, I definitely miss it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDNovember 28, 2016
Walmart is a fantastic place to work if you can get in. They tend to only hire certain people, usually friends of management or family members of good workers. But if you do get hired I would reccommend sticking with them. It's easy to move up positions in the store as they pick current employees over new hires, which is great. If you're a good worker, this is a good work opportunity. The only people that I ever heard complaining about this job were the ones not doing what they were supposed to do. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
competitive pay, great management, great opportunities to move up in the company, yearly raises that are usually more than .50cents if you're a good employee, good benefits
Cons
prejudiced policies against self expression and younger people's ideas, tell you to work overtime and then take it from you through loopholes, holiday work is mandatory
Can't recomend it anymore
Cashier (Current Employee) –  South Point, OHDecember 13, 2016
when i began working at walmart things went well, i felt at home respected and i felt like things i did matered and i was friends with my co workers and managers, however over time this attitude has changed and the workplace had become far more caustic with management being apathetic to the workers and environment, if you can handel high stress and laughably high expectations the entry requirements are near nill and the benefits are while not excellent definitely worth having
co workers tend to be a mixed bag due to lax standerds some are great people and a joy to work with others were disrespectful or down right mean
Pros
easy to get hired, decent benefits, usualy easy to find friends among co workers
Cons
Minimal chance for advancement, not fulfilling, high stress
I liked my job functions and helpng the customers with anything they needed.
Customer Service Manager I (Former Employee) –  Madison, OHFebruary 15, 2017
A typical day at work was very busy all the time as there was always projects to work on. I learned to deal with the public in a positive way no matter the circumstances. Most of the time management was very helpful, at times we were disciplined before the circumstances surrounding the occurrence was understood. The workplace culture was quite diverse which I enjoyed very much. The hardest part of my job was dealing with irate customers. I, however, became very good at calming situations, letting the customer know I was on their side and doing anything I could to help them. The best part of my job was helping customers and making them feel good about the company and its friendly service.
Pros
The benefits were very good
Cons
Working anytime between 5:00am to 12:00 midnight
Large scale front end Retail position
Front End cashier/customer service/other (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYDecember 13, 2016
The job was typical as far as retail was concerned. This particular location was not as proactive as the other location I had previously worked at in the past. Hours would vary greatly and their ability to work with your schedule was not the best (college student, children etc). Co workers were friendly and were a large variety of ages. I would give overall compared to other locations a 4 out of 10 and feel like there are many changes to be made. No room for advancement unless you want to be in a management type or are not currently in school. Took away our holiday pay and other previous benefits and pay was less than other locations as well.
Pros
10% discount after 90 days
Cons
Minimum wage, poor employee moral, loss of small benefits
Decent if your young
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Central Square, NYJanuary 10, 2017
I worked overnights for about a year and a half. On a typical day we would be required to pick up after previous crews and still expected to complete our stuff on time. The overnight crew at our store was leaned on heavily by the rest of the store and most day-time hourly associates didn't even realize how much pressure was put on the - for the most part - understaffed crew. Management was good to me and whoever was pushing themselves and getting a workout in. For the most part every person the overnight crew besides a select few acted like freshmen in high school and spent their breaks gossiping about others. The thing I love most about the job was just being able to get a work out in while getting paid. Honestly for me the hardest part of the job was trying to stay out of the way of the grown children who spent more time gossiping then working. My advice is, this is a good job to get if you can work hard and ignore others.
Pros
Not dealing with too many customers
Cons
salary
It is not as bad as they say.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 7, 2017
I had a great time working for Walmart while I did. They easily recognize and support workers who have great work ethic. Management and the company as a whole eagerly helps and assists in the advancement of their employees. The pay is good, however they will do whatever they can to keep an employee part-time as to not have to provide full time benefits. This is a understandable practice, but us hard to take as lower level management. The culture could be the major issue here, as many employees have little work ethic and often complain of their jobs and pay, which in all honesty is fair.
Pros
Breaks, Competetive Pay, Support
Cons
Co-workers, environment
Warehouse with diverse environment
Shipping Loader (Current Employee) –  Mebane, NCJanuary 7, 2017
An average day in the warehouse can be full of different emotions. Sometimes there is excitement, confusion, or frustration. I get excited when I see a new challenge, but sometimes frustrated when results are not solely in my control. Our managers take the time to learn about us as individuals, and apply that knowledge when placing us in areas as a team. I have learned that the quality of the service that we provide is the most important factor, not just getting the job done. Time management is the hardest part of the job, though after gaining experience it can be mastered.
Pros
great benefits and salary
Cons
shifts available do not provide a good work/life balance
Good Workplace, Bad Policies for Part-Time
Money Center Associate (Various Positions) (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSDecember 22, 2016
It's a great place to work if you are full-time on salary and with benefits. However if you are a part-time worker you have to scrape to get by throughout the year the hours only increase around the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays. You have no sick days or personal days. You have Paid Time Off that you can never get! It a sham! You can only make a living working there if you are full time or salaried. I asked for more hours but they denied me. They said they didn't have any. But then hired 7 new people. THen they fired me because I used some sick days with my PTO however they didnt approve me and instead said I was a NO CALL NO SHOW!
Pros
Good Work Environment
Cons
Bad Work Policies and Management
Customer Service, Productive, Effective, Efficient.
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa Beach, FLJanuary 9, 2017
Walmart provides excellent customer services to satisfy their customers demands on a daily basis. The company carries effective and efficient products and services which rank it in the top 5 most productive business of all time. Working with happy customers and co-workers gives an enthusiastic environment of the business. The management team is very supportive to both customers and staff members needs. The hardest part of the job is dealing with very angry customers. In this case the core of customer service is highlighted to perform the require elements such as listen to the customer complaint, empathize with the customer, apologize to the customer, solve the issue and thank the customer. The most enjoyable part of the job is when u please the customer.
Pros
Health Insurance, Bonus pay check every three (3) months, free lunches every two (2) weeks, ten (10%) percent discount, annual employee raise.
Friendly environment, helpful and team players
Janitor and Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NJFebruary 9, 2017
A typical day at work is the duty of there is always something to do. My position is cleaning and maintaining store. Iv'e learned how to stock and zone shelves on my extra time after I was done my work. Management was good to work with and would like my opinions and ideas on store ideas. The workplace culture is friendly and everyone is helpful and are team members. The hardest part of the job was to mulitask and pay attention to your surroundings. The most enjoyable part if the job is that all us co-workers get along, work together, and became friends.
Pros
1 lunch break and 2 fifteen mintue breaks and scheduled times for our lunches, but we al took our 15 mintue breaks at the same time as everyone else.
Cons
Health Benefits
Rather be in WW1 trenches
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Meridian market view falcon colorado 80831January 9, 2017
Has gone down hill since new CEO and regional managers, lots of management been sifted around and fired and with way less associates working department managers are the new associate doing everyones job with no associates under them take away vacation pay by stealing your hard earned PTO to pay you for holidays there isnt sick leave unless its for someone else??? Doesnt make any sense and always tell you what you didn't do right rather than what you have down good. Very bad morale and tempers, lots of misconduct and rumors spread throughout and alot of non caring management its a nightmare in disguise and high blood pressure job. Also they took away decent raises and wth new pay structure us that been in the company to earn raises beforehand basically lost it all and didnt get compensated so new associates are making more or the same and same goes for department managers.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay, raises, work enviroment, PTO and holidays
A So So company to work for
Deli/Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCNovember 14, 2016
Day to day activities are similar to other jobs, people are nice for the most part.

Management can be counter intuitive (saying one thing one minute, then saying the exact opposite another), best part about the jobs is if your willing to work hard, youll go far.

Bonus can be every 1/4 depending on how well the store performs well.

Worst part about working for walmart is how long it takes to get benefits for part time (if you get hired in any other month than october or november you will have to wait till 1 yr after your original hire date. ex. hired in feb, youll have to wait till next feb and then till dec for benefits.

benefits are great once you get them. vision and dental are highly recommended.
Pros
half hour to hour lunch after 8 hours of work, great benefit programs, discount sam's club membership for employees, yearly pay raises, potential bonus every 1/4
Cons
benefits only come to part-time employees after 1 year from hire date, then during Oct/Nov

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walmart. Our community is ready to answer.