Walmart Employee Reviews in United States

Found 58,734 reviews matching the search
Wal-Mart
MERCHANDISE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDMarch 28, 2016
Worked most places within the store, with the exception of upper management. Benefits such as pay are decent if you move into Assistant manager position or higher. Initial compensation is okay for starting out.

Management does not want associate feedback on how to make the company a better place to work. Anonymous concerns are not kept private. Safety is not taken seriously from their own policies and procedures and reports of violations are often glossed over.

Job security is good as long as you go with the flow. Requested time off is often granted as long as there is coverage and is submitted in a timely manner. Will work around a student or family schedule.
Pros
Can move up quickly and relocate
Cons
No overtime
management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMarch 10, 2016
I was employed with Wal-mart for 1 year and 3 months. In that time frame I learned my job as a cashier. I failed to learn all the policies at work and left me out of a job one day. I tried my best to communicate with management on issues at work. They wrote me up a few times and when a customer tipped me at work not knowing the policy of not accepting tips I accepted the $10.00 tip from the customer when he told me to spend it on lunch. When management found out I took the tip I got called into the managers office and had to explain what happened.
When I lost my job I filed for unemployment for 10 months and went to my hearing that was schedule in Harrisburg with Walmart. I won my case and they paid for unemployment. The money didn't last and I was still looking for employment but not getting hired.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no raises
Great People, Horrid management.
IMS/ Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INMarch 28, 2016
I was hired in February of 2015 as part-time. When I had graduated, they offered me a full-time position, which I took.

The first months of working at Walmart were good, I had a great group to work with. But after August 2015 everything started to go downhill very quickly. Being a IMS/ GM unloader mean't that we were to do everything in the store and our original job as well. We were usually always understaffed in the backrooms, but management would tell us they needed most of us to go elsewhere in the store. And if our stuff didn't get done after we did everyone else's work, we would all get put down while the people up front were praised on getting all their work done.

They would hire more people, but the new hires were always in an area that already had enough people instead of places that actually needed them. And management would add more and more work onto the rest of us.
Pros
The people you get to actually work with are amazing.
Cons
Management doesn't know what they are doing.
No work/life balance
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMarch 7, 2016
They typical day at Walmart would be to provide customer service, merchandise, and pinpoint areas for profit losses and adjust accordingly. I learned a lot about the inner workings of retail, and got a better understanding of company financials and trends. As a salaried member of management, the expectation is that you are at work everyday including off days with no real compensation. On the off chance of an illness, upper management shows no concern for the health or wellbeing of the associate and strongly suggests that if one is not on their deathbed, they should be at work (this is to include scheduled off days). The hardest part about my job at Walmart is working between 10 and 20 hours a day, spending a few hours resting at home only to do it again the next day. I really enjoy the bond created when working towards a common goal with others while teaching and training.
Pros
The salary is very good
Cons
No work/life balance
A good place to start.
Inventory Control Specialist (ICS) (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at Walmart is a busy day with plenty to do. There is always something to new to learn and plenty of work to do. You learn everything from the cash register to the computer system used by Walmart. Management pushes very hard to keep the store in good shape but they are very mean to the workers. I have seen managers curse out the employees and the employees will go right back at the managers. The breaks are very good and are about every two hours making the shift fly right by. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with customers for parts of the shift and also being able to work alone doing backroom work. Overall Walmart had a good balance of everything.
Pros
Breaks every two hours, good benefits, discount card, raises, good starting wages.
Cons
Management is rough, shift schedules inconsistent
Great compensation and advancement opportunities
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALApril 5, 2016
I worked with Walmart for 19 years and was able to advance rapidly in the company. As long as you have drive and work hard, anyone can advance. The compensation once you reach management is above what most retailers offer. The drawback is that work/life/balance is nonexistent once you go into management. The higher you advance, also the more political the position becomes.

Pros: Advancement opportunities, compensation, culture
Cons: Work/life/balance
Pros
Advancement opportunities, compensation, culture
Cons
Work/life/balance
a good place to work while in college
Courtesy Associate (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 25, 2016
My typical day at Wal-mart is to deal with Customers in the parking lot leaving carts where they are not suppose to be, Customers parking where they are not suppose to and once in a while catch a few solicitors

I have learned about retail and how they put out products that will sell.

Management at Walmart was pretty decent when it came to answering questions or responding to issues that may arise.

I enjoyed working with all my co-workers. Some of them, we became close.

The hardest part of the job, was to try to get promoted. it seemed like the other guy gets promoted for slacking off and I did not for working hard and going out of my way of helping customers when I was not even asked by my supervisor.

I enjoyed getting to know new people and the interaction I had with the customers.
Pros
raises, decent management
Cons
unfair promotions
Good employees given little credit.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAApril 1, 2016
Tolerable yet I felt as if we as employees are expendable.
I didn't really feel that we were genuinely appreciated/cared about.

I learned to be more patient.

Management was okay, some of them need to work on their communication skills though. (Not an insult, just constructive criticism.)

I enjoyed the co-workers that actually conversed with me, most didn't speak to me at all.

The hardest part was being temporary rather than part-time, I didn't make enough money to support my family. (I had no transportation so I had to walk several miles to work/back daily on top of having health issues and being really pregnant.)

The best part of the job was the smiling, happy and understanding customers.
Pros
Workplace discount
Cons
No benefits, Workplace discount is small and you have to work there at least 2 months before you qualify for it.
Walmart
Meat Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INFebruary 25, 2016
Worked part time as a sales associate in the fresh area, mainly in the meat department.

The management team asked me if I was interested in advancement, and there were discussions, but the average time to become a manager was 15 years from what I was informed.

Also, I would have to relocate but would not have any options at my choice, and would have to go where i would be needed with the possibility of no notice.

I did apply to some open corporate jobs at the Bentonville, AR location with no reply back from the corporate office.

Overall, the people were good to work with and there were opportunities if one was willing to take a long period of time in order to build a career.
Pros
Work quality, teamwork, communications
Cons
Work to employee pay, benefits, advancement comes with little pay and more hours
Employment at Walmart
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARApril 1, 2016
Years ago, I worked for this company and I was still a student in high school. I had to be out of there by 10, so they said, but there were nights I would not get home till nearly 11:15. The management team directly above me was horrible, inconsiderate, and hardly had a smile the whole time I could remember. Not only that, but they did not care about their cashiers. I can recall on several occasions that I was left with a line of customers while I needed manager override or change from the cash drawer (which usually took about 10 minutes, God willing.)

If you can handle customers with a lack of respect for you as a person and managers who couldn't care less about what you are doing or needing, then this company is for you.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Good compensation
Cons
Horrible management, Horrible experience
If you want to work hard, this can be a rewarding company
CAP1 (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARFebruary 16, 2016
Experiences within this company vary by location. I've had great treatment at some stores, and made life-long friendships. And I've also felt unwanted and under-appreciated at others that employ rude, hateful employees that work the bare minimum because there is a lack of incentive to work harder. In some cases the harder you work, the more is expected, and when you have an off-day when things are just not going right for you, there is a chance for coachings. I think the culture is not what it used to be, and definitely not what Sam Walton wanted. It's sad to see the look of despair on people's faces when they leave work. But, if you are looking for something to pay bills while going to school or just looking for extra cash to pay bills, it definitely fits that purpose.
Pros
discount card, healthcare benefits, earned paid time off, potential quarterly bonuses
Cons
no more paid holidays, lack of performance-based raises, no incentive
It's a job
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 18, 2016
I started at Walmart as a pharmacy cashier and within about a year moved up to pharmacy technician trainee and then certified pharmacy technician.

In all honesty, I think it comes down to finding a good store because I unfortunately work for a really bad one. The customers are complete jerks, co-workers love to take behind your back, and the management is absolutely horrible. Get to know the people you work with ASAP and make a break for it if you get a bad vibe. Almost all of my co-workers including myself want to quit because of our manager. Walmart sure knows how to pick them...

I will admit that it IS retail and no matter where you go in retail, you will most likely encounter rude customers but I have never seen anything like Walmart customers. Absolutely disgusting.
Pros
Opportunity for a raise in the pharmacy, works well with my school schedule
Cons
VERY stressful, beyond rude customers, horrible management, your opinions and thoughts don't matter, company cares more about profit than its employees
This job, is one of those that you would take if you had no other choice.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMarch 29, 2016
You will have to work different departments, besides the one that you were hired for. The hours are ridiculous and they change day by day. The pay is about around 7.66 and up or down, and the benefits are not all that good unless you are full time employee. The only plus is the people are quite nice and understanding most of the time, Plus the co-workers are pretty cool. The problem is that they will find just the littlest thing then you are done. It is how they keep getting so many temps.
Pros
Co-workers, somedays they're are functions, etc.
Cons
hours, pay, management, and no job security etc
Fast paced, energetic, and friendly environment.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Suisun, CAMarch 23, 2016
A typical day at Walmart for me would be energetic, keeping my patience, greeting each customer with a smile, and offering the best customer service ever. What I've learned so far is to learn as much as I can about the store and what we offer. Management is excellent, we get a lot of positive feedback from the customers regarding the store. The co-workers are team players and hard workers. The hardest part of the job would be not being able to meet all the customer needs. Some things may be out of the control of a cashier. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can put a smile on a customers face and they thank me for excellent service.
Pros
I'm working in a field doing something that I enjoy.
Cons
Not working fulltime with all the benefits and healthcare the job offer.
Not a stable environment
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Milan, TNMarch 31, 2016
Though Walmart claims to be a family business, that is far from the truth. There are no excuses at walmart, there is no compensation, you are on your own throughout the development of your career there.
Typical day to day work is easy work for the pay you get, but management is highly unprofessional and will skip steps and go out of their way to single you out, regardless of how good of work you do. Management is often times full of narcissistic people on a 'power' high just because they 'can' even though it is against policy.
0/10 would not work there again.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Terrible bosses
A great work environment
Optician (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILFebruary 7, 2016
My opinion of working for Wal-Mart is that it is a good, steady place of employment. I began working for the company as a cashier in high school, and since graduating I have been able to advance within the company. They are great at giving opportunity to those who want it. I enjoy working with my fellow associates. I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience by going into different departments and learning how to do different tasks around the store. The part of working for Wal-Mart that makes it difficult on a day-to-day basis is the lack of communication within the store and between the management team. I also feel that there is a lack of team work. Each department works well among each other, but they do not work well together usually.
Pros
Annual raises, quarterly bonuses, ability to advance in the company
Cons
Poor communication, lack of respect
bad management, can be fun at times,
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, TNMarch 23, 2016
My stores management team all dislike each other for the most part, besides a few that get in there clicks or groups, and of course they have their favorite employees and the favorites get away with things that would normally end with a write up or being let go, like coming in late or missing more days than allowed. The co-workers as a whole are pretty good, but as an employee at walmart you really aren't made to feel like part of the company, in fact it's pretty much the opposite kind of like they are trying to push you out the door, if your not part of their click/group that is.
Pros
1-hour lunch, fun at times, a few friendly faces
Cons
pay, benefits, management, depressing environment
would not recommend.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 16, 2016
If you are looking for a part time job, you will not find it at your local walmart. they overload you with hours dispite your part time status. but they cut your hours once a month to avoid giving you full time benefits. you are constantly forced into tasks you were not hired for. you are also given shift times that prevent you from getting any daily tasks done such as any medical appointments or visiting the Dmv. but it has its good days however, the job overall is simple and you rarely have to deal with people. the fresh air is amazing and the exercise is great. if you can get past the favoritism and all the forced overtime, then maybe this job is for you.
Pros
exercise, fresh air, and independant work
Cons
overloaded hours, immature management
Great Improvement
Unloader/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Cromwell, CTMarch 3, 2016
Walmart was a great experience for me because of all the different types of jobs within the company. I started off as a sales associate which consisted of staying on the sales floor and keeping shelves stocked and presentable. Then I was trained as a cashier and rang customers up when we were very busy and there weren't enough cashiers to get lines down. After that I was switched to an unloader which was a much harder job for me due to my size but I was given a pay raise and I gained a lot of experience and strength. I had many problems with my coworkers because I was the smallest on the team but managers always said I was the hardest worker and that hit a nerve for a lot of people. Overall I enjoyed my Walmart experience and made many close connections with great managers.
Some of the co-workers are friendly and fun to work with
Electronics Associate (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNFebruary 22, 2016
First and foremost it's good pay .. However the hours they give you are random especially when you turn in a work availability management in electronics will still schedule you ... I go to school as well and lost my 2 years free because of poor scheduling and having management forgot to put it down . There is good managers and dept partner management in electronics is horrible . The female management told an employee that we had to do her jobs that were assigned for her to make her look good .. Half of the people in the department run off to the back especially while busy . Now they have a point system like a factory and treats the employees like complete nobody's and we were promised a raise from 9.90 to 10.00 and yet have I seen that on the pay stub .. If it wasn't for the pay I would quit but I need the money to pay for school and once I'm enrolled in quiting.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks and 15 minuet breaks
Cons
Lazy coworkers, poor scheduling, poor hours