Walmart
41,832 reviews

Walmart Employer Reviews

Productive and fulling.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Midland, TXFebruary 25, 2015
Servant Leadership and Customer Service make the company what it is and is the reason it is the number one retail in the world.
Great experience
Overnight Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 25, 2015
I have enjoyed all the years I spent working with Wal-Mart corporation. This company has really helped me build my skills as a manager and has helped me become better in my current job. I carry all the management skills I learned at Wal-Mart and use them each day.
fun work place , managment was a joke
Connection Center Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bluffton, INFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: lunches, breaks, bonuses
Cons: absences, managment, dress code
There was never just a typical day , everyday I found myself doing something different then what my job code said . I was constantly learning things about all different departments , including my own , and had to learn about every new product we started carrying .
The management was the real reason I no longer liked working at this job . Management is suppose to be there for you to turn to when you need assistance on something you cant figure out , well more times than not we managed our selves and ended up knowing more than they did about their own department . My co workers were fantastic , every time we got a new member it was like just adding on to our family , created great team work skills and problem solving thanks to the people I worked with . The hardest part was having to send a customer away unsatisfied , whether it be them having a hard time with a different associate or simply them being frustrated because we did not have what they needed . The most enjoyable part is probably being known for knowing what I'm doing and people coming to me for help, guidance, and answers when they have worked there longer .
playing a very active role and constant hospitality
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Post Falls, IDFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: work days went by quick
Cons: schedule was never constant, a lot of taking shifts over due to employees always calling in last minute
needing to have a positive outlook everyday from start to finish, no room for error, finding things to be fixed even out of your reach. learned how to take care of situations without needing a higher up. hard parts of the job was needing to know where supplies were and managers for questions that didn't always deal with the tasks being taken care of. lack of motivation from a lot of the employees was a little frustrating and having to take action myself.
Fun work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Marion, INFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: learning new things
Cons: communication with employees and managers
I loved that I learned new things everyday at WalMart! I constantly stayed busy. The hardest part of my job, was not satisfying the customer due to something being out of my control.
Great place to work!
Manager (Current Employee), Sterling Heights, MIFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: slow advancement
I have worked for Wal-Mart for 24 years, I have had nothing but a great experience working for this company! My reason for leaving would be the lack of advancement in a timely manner.
Made some good friends
Cart Attendant (Former Employee), Killeen, TXFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: friends
Cons: long hours, poor leadership
Its a typical big box company that doesn't care about its employees. Just as long as the work gets completed. Management would lie on reviews, just so employees couldn't get a full raise.
If I could give a negative rating
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MOFebruary 25, 2015
Cons: over worked, under staffed, underappreciated
As an employee of Wal-Mart I was very much dissatisfied with practically everything. Not to say I didn't learn anything but what I did learn wasn't because of my love of my employer, my job, or any type of training. Everything I learned at this job was to make my customers happy.

As the title states I would give Wal-Mart a negative review in everything. I'll start with job work and life balance. There really wasn't any balance. I was a soft-lines associate according to my job coding that meant I would work in clothes, shoes, and jewelry. Jewelry only as needed. However this is not what I did. I was constantly pulled from one area to another. I was at several points pulled up to cashier without any training, scheduled in jewelry, sent over to zone in other areas, and at other times pulled to other areas than I was scheduled within the clothes areas. What I'm saying I was constantly doing the job of at least three to four people on a daily basis. This doesn't make for much of a balance of anything.

Now on to compensation and benefits. From the day I started to the day I was let go I never made much more on my pay checks than I did from day one. Even though I had received raises my hours were constantly being cut the longer I worked there. As to benefits I wasn't eligible for benefits as part time until I had worked there for two years and the benefits that were offered were a joke. The health insurance barely covered anything and that's about all they offered that was of any interest. While you could invest as an employee it wasn't really something I saw as worth investing in – more... considering the way I was treated as an employee which I will cover in my management section. The other benefits were a 401k which I had already started from another employer at a better rate and didn't see any interest in either.

Now to job advancement and security. This was a bigger joke than the benefits. I spent two years trying to get out of the area I was in but was refused for various reasons that never sounded true. Other associates I knew while working there had also been overlooked for positions for years when they hired someone from the outside. At one point instead of promoting within the corporation they hired an outsider for a management position that I knew some other employees had applied for. Their idea of job advancement in the area in which I worked was also very limited only allowing one way movement in departments and transferring to another area would take years if you ever got moved. While all of this was going on and you would try to move to a different department the longer you worked there. And the longer you worked there the more likely they were to fire you for something ridiculous. The rest is to be discussed in the next section as it has a lot to do with how the managers treated everyone.

Finally here we are to are to the management section. While you might be thinking I have nothing good to say here that's not true. Most of the lower management was fine and they worked hard and treated everyone very nicely. However from there it gets much worse. All of the higher management were in a competition with each other and took their power play out on the associates. While Wal-Mart may have an open door policy they weren't very good at listening or getting things done because they were always at each other's throats and using what associates said in their games. The co-managers especially. While I was there at least two co-managers were often seen competing to see who would be able to get their own store. This left them either trampling on associates by asking them to do tasks while the other had asked one to do a task. And the structure was always changing so while you knew who was over the whole store you didn't always know who was over your department. While this might have kept down favoritism in theory it didn't help such issues as who was to listened to above who.

Another issue was that management would each want a different thing and depending on who would be in charge things would change. While this is normal the extent of this was abnormal as certain areas of the store (my own included) would be left ignored one night and of utmost import they next night. There was no consistency and very little communication.

The biggest issue to be covered in this section is the fact that management never rewarded for a job well done. They were constantly harping on a bad job while no praise was ever given if you did a good job. Or if praise was given it was given in front of someone else who they weren't praising. And sometimes the praise would be given to the person who did the least amount of work on a project. (This one happened to me personally several times.) And while no praise was given for a good job there was almost praise for a mediocre job. The more you did the least to get your job done the longer you were kept as an employee never being chastised for it. Even while I watched my other co-workers shirk their jobs they were never getting into trouble even though I'd often be called in to help them. And while I would finish my job and on time it was to no comment as if my job were less than their job. It was very unrewarding and ate at my spirit.

I have nothing to say on the job culture as it's like all jobs. You either get along or you don't.

My favorite thing about this job is that I learned many things. Mostly because I taught myself so that I could help my customers, as they are my number one priority. I learned to talk on the phone for work, run a register, how to measure and cut fabric, how to appease angry customers, how to deal with not so nice coworkers, measure ring sizes, and about other jewelry information such as metals.

My least favorite things about this job are listed above.

Overall this was a job that taught me much but left a very sour after taste for the fact that it could have been much better but was instead managed like a circus that lost it's ring leader. Turning into a place where no one would want to work for very long if they wanted to feel like their work meant something. – less
customers come first.
Cashier/Jewelry Specialist (Former Employee), Davie, FLFebruary 25, 2015
bringing perfect customer service is the key to sucsess is somthing ive learned through out my whole life working and thats somthing i enjoy doing.
not so good.
Currently Pharmacy otc manager (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 25, 2015
Let me start out by saying the absolute most rewarding part of my job was to help customers going above and beyond to help. I have learned alot i started small and worked my way up i like to learn how all parts work. However, it isn't a long time career looking for a company i could retire with.
It was good.
Money Center Associate (Former Employee), Fajardo, PRFebruary 25, 2015
Its a big and known company so you'll be able to have that in your credentials; but my supervisors never really cared for newbies, which made some days really difficult and uncomfortable.
fun place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee), Canton, MiFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: co-works are fun to be with during work and after.
Cons: management needs to do more training on how to work with the customers.
My co-workers were friendly and helpful. We had a lot of laughs. I really enjoyed my job job but was not happy with the way management handled reviews and advancements throughout the company.
Good job duties, good workers, close to home
Overnight Maintenance Associate (Temp) (Former Employee), Aurora, COFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: good job duties, enjoyed working with some co-workers, sdecent hourly wage
Cons: too many managers, no benefits, no employee incentives.
In enjoyed my job duties and performed them well. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. I kept and stayed busy, although I did not really enjoyed the over night shift, which was the hardest part of my job.
Pharmacist (Former Employee), Salisbury, MDFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: professional environment
Cons: need more staff support
I enjoyed working for this company. High volume store. Fun work environment. Well trained technicians. Great customer service. Great merchandizing.
For people who don't plan to go to college.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), MIFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: bonuses
Cons: management
If i wasn't a college student I wouldn't work here. If you do work here aim for the stores in the upper middle class neighborhoods.
Intense work environment with little support from superiors.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 25, 2015
Wal-Mart teaches you indirectly to rely on yourself and your immediate coworkers more than anyone and to rely less and less on the higher ups. Not the greatest work environment.
Very high paced with opportunities for advancement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Carroll, IAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: long work days
The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with people. The most difficult part was all the time away from my family. The days/nights were long. I learned just how much I can push myself to do even when completely exhausted.
Was a great first time job
Sales associate (Former Employee), Cartersville, GAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: hours, benefits
Cons: pay
I had a lot of fun working at Wal-Mart. I enjoy being busy. It was a team effort and the hours were very flexible. The benefits were wonderful. It was an all around great job before I had my daughter.
meat clerk
Meat Clerk (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXFebruary 25, 2015
on a typical work day i stocked shelves with meat and stocked the shelves with product the hardest was throwing away good meat
itsk place
Laborer (Former Employee), Boonville, INFebruary 25, 2015
I would put new food out for costmores to buy. The pay wasn't all that. I wouldn't work there anogain. But I did run the fork truck there so they do teach you new things

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more