WALTER ENERGY Employee Reviews

good place to work
COAL MINER (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ALJanuary 25, 2016
Had a great time working with everyone I worked with and it was never a dull moment. I would go back there I made some good friends there.
Pros
discount and good friends
Uni-trac operator
Uni-Trac, Operator (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALJanuary 17, 2016
Fast paced physically active responsibilities. Learned many different aspects of underground mining processes, safety, and procedures. Relatively stable management provided consistancy and cohesion. Co-workers focused on common goal: safety as this was a "high-risk" work environment. Hardest part of the job in most recent months instability and lack of security due to changes in coal market and company bankruptcy. Truely enjoyed the last ten years underground.
Pros
DEPENDABILITY
Cons
DOWNTURN IN MARKET
Great company when the coal market is good.
Assistant Manager Export Operations (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 6, 2016
While employed at Walter Energy, my typical day included tracking and receive coal. Maintaining accurate inventory information and working with the Alabama State docks in placing coal in specific locations. Loading the specific coal onto vessel destined for various locations through the world. Insured the correct amount and insured the correct type of coal was loaded.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Job Security
Outby Manager (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALJanuary 6, 2016
Job includes long hours and a good deal of stress but the people you work with are the best in the world and I always have a good time at work. Excellent compensation and advancement opportunities.
hard
Certified M.S.H.A. Electrician (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALDecember 30, 2015
it's a good place to work if you don't want to see your friends and family but you will have all the money you want. they do have a very good training program if you want to become an electrician for underground.
pu[our management
Prep plant mechanic (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALDecember 15, 2015
pour management obviously ran the company in the ground.. other than that it was a good place to make a living.. not a life, 6 days a week was good money.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
pour management
Being an Electrician in a Coal Mine
Longwall Mechanic/ Electrician (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALDecember 8, 2015
Being in a Coal Mine and being an Electrician there is no ordinary days. There were always a number of problems from hydraulic to electrical with shield functions and programs as well as gas instruments and shearer problems. Problems were addressed in order from the most important all the way down to a hydraulic bypass. It was pretty much troubleshooting all day long and the changing of frequent blown hydraulic hoses. Its hard to describe a normal day cause there really isn't one. Everyday was different cause you never knew what you were going to be working on or troubleshooting but its also what made the job enjoyable to because no two days back to back were the same and I have always enjoyed troubleshooting and fixing problems.
hardest part of job
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALNovember 10, 2015
long hours and away from family often, dangerous environment, managing safety of others, working efficiently while working safely. hard labor
Pros
great pay and benefits
Production
Heaterman (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 9, 2015
Great company to work for. Give a 100% everyday. Always follow management instructions. Its a very hot job that rewards you at the end of each week.
Challenging work enviorment
First Class Welder/ Electrician (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALNovember 5, 2015
It's a good paying industrial job with excellent health insurance. The dental insurance was horrible. The company is going through hard times, as a result I was laid off with 265 other people. I was employed at Walter Energy for almost 6 years.
Pros
Good health benifits
Cons
Its a six day a week operation, every week.
Great people! Coworkers feel like family.
Industrial Relations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALOctober 17, 2015
Supportive coworkers, everyone feels like family. Tough working conditions but that should be expected since it is an underground coal mine.
been good while i was here times are tough, this company may not make it
Longwall Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  alabamaSeptember 18, 2015
days start with a safety meeting, and then we swap out crews. Based on what is going on we start running coal or we follow up on and piece of equipment that maybe down needing repair. at this time our company has filed chapter 11in which has put all of on the edge on whether or not our jobs are secure. the coal business is not doing well so the employees of the companies will be the ones paying the price for there mistakes.
Safe Working environment
Multicraft/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 17, 2015
Performed preventive and corrective maintenance on all machinery including hydraulic cylinders and pumps surrounding and within the coke ovens. Very safe work environment, unfortunately, they are currently in Banktruptcy.
enjoyable and educational
Electrician (Former Employee) –  MT. Carbon,WVAugust 20, 2015
walter energy was a very good place to work the people I worked for and with were nice to with

trying to solve problems in a timely manner on a working section and other equipment would go down and boss start stressing out
Long Wall Production Foreman (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALAugust 18, 2015
It is a overall good place to work, that supplies good benefits, and is a company that is making hard choices to changing market conditions. This company is limited only in its ability to change, and moving the work force into a more productive position.
Great benefits with great pay
Underground Coal Miner (Current Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 9, 2015
Produce coal in a safe and efficient manner. Great place to work but due to poor market conditions we will be laid off. I learned how to operate and maintain heavy equipment.
Good workplace , good people ,good company
Coal Miner (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALAugust 2, 2015
Walter Energy is a good company , just very dangerous . 2000 FT below the ground but thats why safty was very important . The pay was good at $30 an hour and all the over time you wanted . I liked the people who worked there because everybody worked together . the only bad is they laid 300 people off .. Im ready for a change , a new chapter for my daughter and i .
Pros
Money and insurance
Cons
Dangerous and layoffs
Metallurgical Coal Producer in Alabama
OPERATIONS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALJuly 22, 2015
I work as an Operational Engineer in the company, in which you are sent through rotations throughout all departments to gain an overall sense of the operations before being placed in a supervisor roll. I have spent time as both a supervisor and in a continuous improvement role.

This has allowed me to gain an overall sense of the operations and identify areas for improvement, and then work toward that improvement by implementing new processes.

I really have enjoyed the continuous improvement part of this rotation, because of the planning aspect. It has been enjoyable to put and plan together and watch it succeed. My manager has been an excellent mentor in guiding me through this process.

However, the coal market is declining and is making for a stressful work environment. It has been refreshing to see people attempt to remain positive through troubling times, but the industry will have to adjust for the changes in the market.
Mismanaged and a strong union
Underground Production Foreman Trainee (Current Employee) –  Adger, ALJuly 3, 2015
Many quality employees leave for something better. Those who are good only stay because they have ties to the location. The company is facing bankruptcy and has been mismanaged for too long. I do not expect Walter Energy to be around more than another year.
Great Learning Environment with Creative Projects
Graphics Designer (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 24, 2015
Walter Energy is a great company that promotes hard work and determination that gives their employees the freedom to explore creative means of accomplishing a project.