WALTER ENERGY Employee Reviews in United States

normal workplace
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 12, 2016
A great assortment of fellow workers, really great. the parent office was more trust worthy, less back-stabbing as in the subsid levels.
Pros
no micro managing
Cons
not trust worthy at subsid level, employees in managerial positions
no good
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALMarch 27, 2016
dont care about there people good people to work with most watch out after each other going down the elevator was the hardest because you dont know if it will be your last
A great place to work for over 20 years
Safety Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALMarch 26, 2016
Great place to work for over 20 years. Good team environment, team goals achieved in safety in the past 5 years. I conducted all (MSHA)compliance quarterly Training for over 530 employees. Long work hours required as a part of the company's culture. I was given the task of managing the new accident prevention program. If not for coal market prices and environmental changes, I would still be a safety inspector/trainer at Walter Energy.
Pros
Great brotherhood and better than avarage salary
Cons
Long hours, dangerous work inviroment
Bankrupt - Taken over by Bond Holders
AP Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, AlMarch 22, 2016
I thought that I would one day retire from Walter Energy, but the new company that has taken over is only keeping a small handful of people.
Challenged,exciting,and different
Miner operator, shuttle car operator,and laborer (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at my job was interesting,because the conditions changed everyday. You never knew what you were going to run into on the job site.We would go down there and run as much coal as possible in a 10 hour shift.

Some things I learned while working this job are, no matter how long you work here you can always learn something new. I also learned how to operate a lot of heavy equipment in tight places.

In my opinion management did a good job. If there was a problem you could go to them, and they would try to fix the problem in a timely manner.

My co-workers were like family. You would work with the same 10 people every day. We worked 10 hour shifts so you got to know the crew really well. This helped with production, because everybody knew what each other was capable of doing.

The hardest part of my job was hanging miner cable above your head in hooks.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being with my crew. It was also nice to break records on cutting the most coal.
Pros
Free insurance, great pay
Cons
dangerous conditions
good place to work
COAL MINER (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ALJanuary 25, 2016
Had a great time working with everyone I worked with and it was never a dull moment. I would go back there I made some good friends there.
Pros
discount and good friends
Uni-trac operator
Uni-Trac, Operator (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALJanuary 17, 2016
Fast paced physically active responsibilities. Learned many different aspects of underground mining processes, safety, and procedures. Relatively stable management provided consistancy and cohesion. Co-workers focused on common goal: safety as this was a "high-risk" work environment. Hardest part of the job in most recent months instability and lack of security due to changes in coal market and company bankruptcy. Truely enjoyed the last ten years underground.
Pros
DEPENDABILITY
Cons
DOWNTURN IN MARKET
Great company when the coal market is good.
Assistant Manager Export Operations (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 6, 2016
While employed at Walter Energy, my typical day included tracking and receive coal. Maintaining accurate inventory information and working with the Alabama State docks in placing coal in specific locations. Loading the specific coal onto vessel destined for various locations through the world. Insured the correct amount and insured the correct type of coal was loaded.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Job Security
Outby Manager (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALJanuary 6, 2016
Job includes long hours and a good deal of stress but the people you work with are the best in the world and I always have a good time at work. Excellent compensation and advancement opportunities.
hard
Certified M.S.H.A. Electrician (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALDecember 30, 2015
it's a good place to work if you don't want to see your friends and family but you will have all the money you want. they do have a very good training program if you want to become an electrician for underground.
pu[our management
Prep plant mechanic (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALDecember 15, 2015
pour management obviously ran the company in the ground.. other than that it was a good place to make a living.. not a life, 6 days a week was good money.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
pour management
Being an Electrician in a Coal Mine
Longwall Mechanic/ Electrician (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALDecember 8, 2015
Being in a Coal Mine and being an Electrician there is no ordinary days. There were always a number of problems from hydraulic to electrical with shield functions and programs as well as gas instruments and shearer problems. Problems were addressed in order from the most important all the way down to a hydraulic bypass. It was pretty much troubleshooting all day long and the changing of frequent blown hydraulic hoses. Its hard to describe a normal day cause there really isn't one. Everyday was different cause you never knew what you were going to be working on or troubleshooting but its also what made the job enjoyable to because no two days back to back were the same and I have always enjoyed troubleshooting and fixing problems.
hardest part of job
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, ALNovember 10, 2015
long hours and away from family often, dangerous environment, managing safety of others, working efficiently while working safely. hard labor
Pros
great pay and benefits
Production
Heaterman (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 9, 2015
Great company to work for. Give a 100% everyday. Always follow management instructions. Its a very hot job that rewards you at the end of each week.
Challenging work enviorment
First Class Welder/ Electrician (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALNovember 5, 2015
It's a good paying industrial job with excellent health insurance. The dental insurance was horrible. The company is going through hard times, as a result I was laid off with 265 other people. I was employed at Walter Energy for almost 6 years.
Pros
Good health benifits
Cons
Its a six day a week operation, every week.
Great people! Coworkers feel like family.
Industrial Relations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALOctober 17, 2015
Supportive coworkers, everyone feels like family. Tough working conditions but that should be expected since it is an underground coal mine.
been good while i was here times are tough, this company may not make it
Longwall Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  alabamaSeptember 18, 2015
days start with a safety meeting, and then we swap out crews. Based on what is going on we start running coal or we follow up on and piece of equipment that maybe down needing repair. at this time our company has filed chapter 11in which has put all of on the edge on whether or not our jobs are secure. the coal business is not doing well so the employees of the companies will be the ones paying the price for there mistakes.
Safe Working environment
Multicraft/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 17, 2015
Performed preventive and corrective maintenance on all machinery including hydraulic cylinders and pumps surrounding and within the coke ovens. Very safe work environment, unfortunately, they are currently in Banktruptcy.
enjoyable and educational
Electrician (Former Employee) –  MT. Carbon,WVAugust 20, 2015
walter energy was a very good place to work the people I worked for and with were nice to with

trying to solve problems in a timely manner on a working section and other equipment would go down and boss start stressing out
Long Wall Production Foreman (Current Employee) –  Brookwood, ALAugust 18, 2015
It is a overall good place to work, that supplies good benefits, and is a company that is making hard choices to changing market conditions. This company is limited only in its ability to change, and moving the work force into a more productive position.