Walter Reed Army Medical Center

Walter Reed Army Medical Center Employee Reviews

Working at Walter Reed
MEDICAL RECORDS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 18, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
Working at Walter Reed was different. I had nice supervisor but record rooms was horrible. When I started working there, myself and new co-worker had to clean up the records room in order to work there because nothing was organized. In that process, we had fun in work duties.
Lots of issues
Emergency room medic (Former Employee), Washington DCJune 9, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Pay
Cons: Management, Work load, The way wounded warriors were taken care of.
When I was a medic at walter reed there were alot of issues with the way our wounded warriors were taken care of. Not enough accountability among the higher ranking doctors for negligence, Not enough staff – more... to take care of the wounded warriors, The barracks for wounded warriors was awful. The nurses and medics were all over worked and the environment was not one of pride or hardwork but was all about who could get away with doing the least amount of work. There was alot of finger pointing when standards of care weren't met. It also seemed that the harder a person worked the more work is put on that person and the people who should have been accountable for less than satisfactory work were given lighter work loads leading to the hard working employees getting over worked. – less
Productive work evironment and busy
General Clerk II (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 9, 2015
Sort mail for entired medical hospital, x-ray incoming boxes and metering outgoing mail supervisor's had great working history and very knowledgable about the work if needed questions answered.
Very unprofessional setting
Medical Support Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
Pros: This was my first job within the government
Cons: Long commute from Fredericksburg, Va and Stafford, Va.
When I first got the position I was very excited because I was in the government! Then when I got to work, I realized that some government workers are very lazy and extremely unprofessional! I felt like – more... I was working in the HOOD!! Co-workers were back-stabbers and very getto! Management was shady and talked about employees personal business to other employees and was also caught using an employees' social security number to take out a loan. There was nothing hard or challenging about this position for me. I learned it in one day and was working on my own by the end of the week. I left after a year to find something challenging and to be in a safer environment. – less
Great Job for a Veteran
Security Guard (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 12, 2015
Probably one of the best places I have ever worked at. Walter Reed had excellent care for it's soldiers. It is a shame it was shut down.
Great learning experience for a Health Administration post grad
Assistant Administrator (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 14, 2015
Pros: Willing to give new grads an opportunity, very supportive and mentoring
Cons: Civilian position in a military work environment with limited opportunity for advancement
Great place to work with orientation to government and military protocols. Very convoluted rules and regulations, however, an excellent challenge.
Registered Ultrasound Tech
Registered Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee), Washington DCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: top of the line equipment
Cons: low pay and you are training your next supervisor. job advancement is low.
You do a variety of different ultrasound studies. You work with a team of several techs and Radiologists. The doctors were nice and efficient. It was hard to find parking. This is a government job.
Lot of fun things to do
Assistant Inspector General (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: na
This job was great had the opportunity to meet a lot of people great. Loved meeting people. It was the best place to work. the staff was outstanding . I really miss that place.
productive and advancing
Houseman (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: free lunch, bonus and promotions
This was a positive and advancing opportunity for me. I maintain three hotels for wounded soldiers. I also did maintenance and iTT work for the hotels as well. I enjoy helping the soldiers so we had to project good customer service for the soldiers consistently.
Most rewarding place I've ever worked at.
Health & Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2015
A typical day is arriving on base and saluting the flag of the United States Of America.

Learning was a day by day event as the mission changed from time to time depending on our visitors.

Brass Management gave directives and my team acted upon those fervently without haste.

The hardest part of the job was going home everyday, and when we had BRAC.
Secretary (Office Automation) (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: supportive leadership
Cons: difficult commute, difficult parking
Walter reed was located off Georgia Avenue at the time and has since relocated to Bethesda. The base was small and parking was difficult.
Too many years ago to write effective review
Certified Dental Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 21, 2014
Worked there almost 40 years ago, any review at this time would not be representative of current working environment. However, I did learn a lot and enjoyed my time working in a military hospital.
it had an free use of weight room gym, and also basketball court
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), washington dcDecember 21, 2014
Pros: every other weekends off, and my work schedule.
Cons: no cons
A typical day at work was serving others, and lots of cooking, and cleaning. I learned about proper food procedures. Management was descent. I had had 3 managers. I got along with all but one. I cannot really think of any hard part of any job. The most enjoyable part was the friendships i made while there.
Loved the atmosphere
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee), Washington DCDecember 4, 2014
Responsible for securing daily purchase and payment receipts and company funds.
Marketed and sold company products and services face to face.
Processed purchases
Secured the store at the close of the business day.
Will do it again in a heart beat. I loved working here and gaining knowledge to further my career in a place where i can grow.
Real life exeprience
Administrative Assistance (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 25, 2014
I enjoyed working at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC. A typical day at Walter Reed for me, would be enter acting with the soldiers coming back from Iraq. Just communicating with them made – more... there day, there long life experience and stories made you feel like you was on the journey with them. I support my
troops, and I'm thankful for the support they give us by fighting for there countries. – less
Best job I ever had
Medical Supply Technician (Former Employee), Fort Benning GANovember 19, 2014
Pros: long lunch hour
Cons: deployments
It was always something to do in the best military in the nation.

Management was the best

Too many to think of the right words to describe them, they were all awesome!!
Great Team work
Audiology Research Associate Investigator (Tech) (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: department chief's letting us know "job well done"
A typical day at work has been challenging as well as a fun loving team work adventure. The research team has taught me a lot about data acquisition, and data analysis, brainstorming and over all team – more... work. The co-workers keep me interactive as we exchange idea's.
The hardest part of the job was getting it established, once all the formalities were in order, everything went smooth. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fellowship of the team members. – less
Lifelong relationship
Military Family Move (Former Employee), Augusta, GAAugust 3, 2014
Learned from the best. Organized problem solving skills. Room to grow. Easy flow between military and civilian life.
Wonderful Experience
Project Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 4, 2014
Pros: supporting our military
Cons: closing it down
Supportive managers, and great learning environment. Lots of history and team environment.
My greatest nursing experience
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 28, 2014
Pros: awesome care. the best in the world
Cons: not everyone survived but we did our absolute best and our all
12+ hours of rotating shifts, approximately 96-104 hrs every 2 wks. I learned a myriad of skills. If it was to happen it happened at Walter Reed from bedside cardiac massage to extensive wound care for – more... amputees, SICU, MICU, PCU, education on the fly. It was absolutely amazing. Hardest part was the stress of seeing so much Trauma. Unimaginable injuries and extensive and highly intensive care. Families of injured soldiers need care as well. Most enjoyable part is seeing soldiers survive because of what I did. Very gratifying and rewarding. Charge nurse of civilian and military with a full assignment as well. – less

1 2 3

About Walter Reed Army Medical Center

The Walter Reed Health Care System provides comprehensive health care for more than 150,000 soldiers, other service members, family – Read more

Walter Reed Army Medical Center Salaries