Walter Reed Army Medical Center Employee Reviews

Learn while your are working.
Clinical Nurse, Intensive OB (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.June 19, 2012
A typical day at work begins of the care of at least two patients. As an intensive care unit we receive patients from all world with different condition, either fetal condition or mother conditions. Able to interpretate fetal monitor and evaluate variations, mother monitor. Work with a lot of emotions, hard emotions. give emotional and spiritual support. I have learned a lot because Walter Reed is a teaching hospital, work with students, interns, residents, learn while their learn. Excellent management , people on call in case of need. An excellent co-workers, compromise, responsible, as a soldier with figth for life, and on call 24 hours a day. We get along so well. The hardest part of the job, emotions, waiting for a sick baby, and try do the best, for mom, baby and family, Goal, healthy mom, healthy baby and healthy family, and no matter the circunstances try hard for life. The hardest part when the baby die, or mom die. The most enjoyable part of the job, the learn, the satisfaction of doing the best for the benefit of patient and go home with the satisfaction that you did the job that you have to do. Thanks God.
Pros
a lot of continue education, inservices.
Caregiver
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2015
I absolutely loved working there. Sad that the center closed their doors for good last year. I would help the injured soldiers in my crew to eat, do daily activities, and to shower, as well as help to doctor appointments and give oral medication as prescribed. I was my own manager which was great. My co - workers all had a huge impact on my life. In order to have this job you must be have a great smile on your face, and have a strong work ethic as well as personality. The hardest part of the job was when, one of the men or women I helped would pass away or return back home somewhere far in the U.S. You become close when working with people like that everyday. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the soldiers smile. That made me know that I was doing my job the right way. These people are so down on themselves as it is, they need to smile as much as they can.
Pros
Seeing soldiers return home to loved ones
Cons
Losing an important person to an injury.
Lots of issues
Emergency room medic (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJune 9, 2015
When I was a medic at walter reed there were alot of issues with the way our wounded warriors were taken care of. Not enough accountability among the higher ranking doctors for negligence, Not enough staff to take care of the wounded warriors, The barracks for wounded warriors was awful. The nurses and medics were all over worked and the environment was not one of pride or hardwork but was all about who could get away with doing the least amount of work. There was alot of finger pointing when standards of care weren't met. It also seemed that the harder a person worked the more work is put on that person and the people who should have been accountable for less than satisfactory work were given lighter work loads leading to the hard working employees getting over worked.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Management, Work load, The way wounded warriors were taken care of.
It was a family type atomsphere,i love working there every day.
Medical Waste Handler (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2014
My day started at 7:00am,met with suprvisors on whatever information and orders for the day,also the hot areas in the hospital to give special attention to. I already had experience in working with the military because i myself was in United States Marine Corps. Maangement was easy to get along with, i had my differences at times, but overall i just did my job to the best of my ability,my co-workers were easy to get along with, yes, we had our issues,yet we maintain our morale it was very high. My greatest challenge was the dealing with all the different people at the hospital every, it was hard at first but i approach it head on and remain very positive, i love working at Walter Reed Medical Center
Pros
meeting all kinds of people
Cons
there were a few areas the military personnel were difficult to me.
Very unprofessional setting
Medical Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
When I first got the position I was very excited because I was in the government! Then when I got to work, I realized that some government workers are very lazy and extremely unprofessional! I felt like I was working in the HOOD!! Co-workers were back-stabbers and very getto! Management was shady and talked about employees personal business to other employees and was also caught using an employees' social security number to take out a loan. There was nothing hard or challenging about this position for me. I learned it in one day and was working on my own by the end of the week. I left after a year to find something challenging and to be in a safer environment.
Pros
This was my first job within the government
Cons
Long commute from Fredericksburg, Va and Stafford, Va.
My greatest nursing experience
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2014
12+ hours of rotating shifts, approximately 96-104 hrs every 2 wks. I learned a myriad of skills. If it was to happen it happened at Walter Reed from bedside cardiac massage to extensive wound care for amputees, SICU, MICU, PCU, education on the fly. It was absolutely amazing. Hardest part was the stress of seeing so much Trauma. Unimaginable injuries and extensive and highly intensive care. Families of injured soldiers need care as well. Most enjoyable part is seeing soldiers survive because of what I did. Very gratifying and rewarding. Charge nurse of civilian and military with a full assignment as well.
Pros
awesome care. the best in the world
Cons
not everyone survived but we did our absolute best and our all
High visibility and fast paced.
Clinical Nurse YH2 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2013
A typical day at work included providing the soldiers and their families with access to receive their required medical, psychological and education needs assistance. I reviewed their electronic medical records in order to make the decisions for access to care for travel in and out of the country, as well as providing the medical and surgical ICD codes. My co-workers and I worked diligently as a team to provide excellent service to our soldiers and their families. I was also responsible for the oversight of the 10 other medical facilities in the northern region. Our management team was excellent with providing support and assistance.
Productive Environment
Secretary - GS (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2012
As a Secretary for the Department of Surgery at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, I was credited for assisting in the planning of daily appointment scheduling of appointments, coordinating numerous research protocols data for research studies. Preparing travel orders, mananging all incoming mail for the Dept. of Surgey staff physicians and Surgical Staff Residents. The most enjoyable part of the job was intractions with the service members either by phone or via -phone making appointments asisting them.
Pros
meeting different people from different cultures
Cons
no advancement
Great Team work
Audiology Research Associate Investigator (Tech) (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 25, 2014
A typical day at work has been challenging as well as a fun loving team work adventure. The research team has taught me a lot about data acquisition, and data analysis, brainstorming and over all team work. The co-workers keep me interactive as we exchange idea's.
The hardest part of the job was getting it established, once all the formalities were in order, everything went smooth. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fellowship of the team members.
Pros
department chief's letting us know "job well done"
A Learning Experience
SharePoint Admin (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2012
Working at Walter Reed as an HR Professional and a SharePoint Administrator I was exposed to very diverse situations and people. As with any work environment, the level of stress associated with the work correlates with the type of relationship that exist between co-workers and supervisors. I made some lifelong friends and gained knowledge and expertise both personally and professionally that will help me succeed at any new position. For this I am grateful.
Pros
on post gym
Cons
rigid time schedule
Bittersweet..
Management Analyst, Resource Management (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2015
So the actual Department I worked in was great, the Contractor was the issue. while they did pay well, their communication with direct department heads was horrible. To many contradictions when it came to job descriptions and direction of positions. Some of this may have been due to the impending closure and bidding wars, however it could have been handled much more professionally..
Pros
Great pay and benefits plus OT.
Cons
Communication between management and contractor needs work.
Having excellent support
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bethesda MDAugust 5, 2015
Some days, I would care for up to five patients at a time giving me a very active day. The care would vary from wound dressing to feeding and hygiene. It was inspiring to work on patients so young that had lost so much but continued to have a fighting spirit. I had exceptional direction if a question would arise. Even the hospital food was good.
Pros
Providing care to wounded warriors
Cons
The commute was hectic at times
workwas fun good people !
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2013
now in the beginning I love to come to work the job was great! then changes started to change new employees with attitued. management worked with emplyees it was like one big happy family then the change came and it became a nightmare! Hated to come to work but when we had to close the hospital down I was truly upset
Pros
had everthing we needed to make the operation run smooth as slick
Cons
new management did not care about employees
Real life exeprience
Administrative Assistance (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2014
I enjoyed working at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC. A typical day at Walter Reed for me, would be enter acting with the soldiers coming back from Iraq. Just communicating with them made there day, there long life experience and stories made you feel like you was on the journey with them. I support my
troops, and I'm thankful for the support they give us by fighting for there countries.
Excellent term work, and discipline
Nurse Cardiac Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2013
A 12 hours work day with the best co-workers ever. Good excellent discipline with excellent part care. Management communicates with staff daily to up date them of the expectations of the day. The hardest part of the job is looking for parking. the enjoyable part of the job is working with military people who are very discipline and cooperative.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
no parking
it had an free use of weight room gym, and also basketball court
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  washington dcDecember 21, 2014
A typical day at work was serving others, and lots of cooking, and cleaning. I learned about proper food procedures. Management was descent. I had had 3 managers. I got along with all but one. I cannot really think of any hard part of any job. The most enjoyable part was the friendships i made while there.
Pros
every other weekends off, and my work schedule.
Cons
no cons
Productive and contructive workplace
MLT Student (Former Employee) –  WASHINGTON, D.C.September 6, 2012
Every section is constantly filled with help.
There was a great refresher of MLT and other knowledge daily.
Management was very understanding and flexible and family oriented.
Co-workers were as friendly and comfortable as family.
The hardest part of the job was having to leave.
The most enjoyable part was the social patients.
Pros
constant assistant with everyone in the facility
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Air vac Technician (Current Employee) –  Ft Belvior VAAugust 21, 2012
My position at my current job is ok.But right now there is no job security and advancement for myself.The team I work with are good as a team.I have learned about the DoD systems.My management is good to work for.My hardest part of my position seeing military personel injuried.I enjoy my schedule and teamwork that we have.
Pros
teamwork and enviroment
Cons
no advancement and job security
Loved working with Soldiers
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 5, 2013
This was my first hospital to work at. I started in the Coronary Care Unit where we admitted patients suffering from a current MI. I then moved to the Trauma ICU where most of our patients were military personel flown back in critical condition from Iraq or Afghanistan. This was the greatest honor I was given as a nurse. A chance to save the lives of those were fighting for our freedom.
I loved being a part of the WRAMC team
Medical Supply Technician, Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2014
Learning Medical Logistics was interesting and working at this hospital was an unforgettable part of my life as well as rewarding. Working with the different Army Bases across the world during the close down of this hospital was exciting. I will miss the work the staff and the wonderful friends I made.
Pros
the pay was great
Cons
the drive to and from washington, dc

4.4