Walter Reed Army Medical Center Employee Reviews

dish washer
Food Service Clerk/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 30, 2015
what i learned was kitchen maintenance in a hospital setting
management was very professional
Assured all assigned tasks and responsibilities are completed prior to the end of each shift.
Pros
gaining the work experience
Cons
temp job
Bittersweet..
Management Analyst, Resource Management (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2015
So the actual Department I worked in was great, the Contractor was the issue. while they did pay well, their communication with direct department heads was horrible. To many contradictions when it came to job descriptions and direction of positions. Some of this may have been due to the impending closure and bidding wars, however it could have been handled much more professionally..
Pros
Great pay and benefits plus OT.
Cons
Communication between management and contractor needs work.
Caregiver
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2015
I absolutely loved working there. Sad that the center closed their doors for good last year. I would help the injured soldiers in my crew to eat, do daily activities, and to shower, as well as help to doctor appointments and give oral medication as prescribed. I was my own manager which was great. My co - workers all had a huge impact on my life. In order to have this job you must be have a great smile on your face, and have a strong work ethic as well as personality. The hardest part of the job was when, one of the men or women I helped would pass away or return back home somewhere far in the U.S. You become close when working with people like that everyday. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the soldiers smile. That made me know that I was doing my job the right way. These people are so down on themselves as it is, they need to smile as much as they can.
Pros
Seeing soldiers return home to loved ones
Cons
Losing an important person to an injury.
Walter Reed: Helping Wounded Warriors
Executive Assistant - Human Resources Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2015
Smart Management and smart co-workers have made Walter Reed Army Medical Center a proud place to advance your career. Being a part of a historcal base, that has cared for some of the most promoent memebers of the military, and presidents alike has made my career much more worth while,
Pros
Co-Works, beautiful landscaping
Cons
Base now closed
Challenging
Supply Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2015
Responsible for the Intergration of all Millitary equipment and personnel, and IT transitioning to the New Facility.
Pros
Excellent experience
Cons
Inexperienced Contracting personnel
Having excellent support
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bethesda MDAugust 5, 2015
Some days, I would care for up to five patients at a time giving me a very active day. The care would vary from wound dressing to feeding and hygiene. It was inspiring to work on patients so young that had lost so much but continued to have a fighting spirit. I had exceptional direction if a question would arise. Even the hospital food was good.
Pros
Providing care to wounded warriors
Cons
The commute was hectic at times
Working at Walter Reed
MEDICAL RECORDS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 18, 2015
Working at Walter Reed was different. I had nice supervisor but record rooms was horrible. When I started working there, myself and new co-worker had to clean up the records room in order to work there because nothing was organized. In that process, we had fun in work duties.
Lots of issues
Emergency room medic (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJune 9, 2015
When I was a medic at walter reed there were alot of issues with the way our wounded warriors were taken care of. Not enough accountability among the higher ranking doctors for negligence, Not enough staff to take care of the wounded warriors, The barracks for wounded warriors was awful. The nurses and medics were all over worked and the environment was not one of pride or hardwork but was all about who could get away with doing the least amount of work. There was alot of finger pointing when standards of care weren't met. It also seemed that the harder a person worked the more work is put on that person and the people who should have been accountable for less than satisfactory work were given lighter work loads leading to the hard working employees getting over worked.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Management, Work load, The way wounded warriors were taken care of.
Productive work evironment and busy
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2015
Sort mail for entired medical hospital, x-ray incoming boxes and metering outgoing mail supervisor's had great working history and very knowledgable about the work if needed questions answered.
Very unprofessional setting
Medical Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
When I first got the position I was very excited because I was in the government! Then when I got to work, I realized that some government workers are very lazy and extremely unprofessional! I felt like I was working in the HOOD!! Co-workers were back-stabbers and very getto! Management was shady and talked about employees personal business to other employees and was also caught using an employees' social security number to take out a loan. There was nothing hard or challenging about this position for me. I learned it in one day and was working on my own by the end of the week. I left after a year to find something challenging and to be in a safer environment.
Pros
This was my first job within the government
Cons
Long commute from Fredericksburg, Va and Stafford, Va.
Great Job for a Veteran
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2015
Probably one of the best places I have ever worked at. Walter Reed had excellent care for it's soldiers. It is a shame it was shut down.
Great learning experience for a Health Administration post grad
Assistant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 14, 2015
Great place to work with orientation to government and military protocols. Very convoluted rules and regulations, however, an excellent challenge.
Pros
Willing to give new grads an opportunity, very supportive and mentoring
Cons
Civilian position in a military work environment with limited opportunity for advancement
Registered Ultrasound Tech
Registered Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 23, 2015
You do a variety of different ultrasound studies. You work with a team of several techs and Radiologists. The doctors were nice and efficient. It was hard to find parking. This is a government job.
Pros
top of the line equipment
Cons
low pay and you are training your next supervisor. job advancement is low.
Lot of fun things to do
Assistant Inspector General (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 24, 2015
This job was great had the opportunity to meet a lot of people great. Loved meeting people. It was the best place to work. the staff was outstanding . I really miss that place.
Pros
na
Cons
na
productive and advancing
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2015
This was a positive and advancing opportunity for me. I maintain three hotels for wounded soldiers. I also did maintenance and iTT work for the hotels as well. I enjoy helping the soldiers so we had to project good customer service for the soldiers consistently.
Pros
free lunch, bonus and promotions
Most rewarding place I've ever worked at.
Health & Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2015
A typical day is arriving on base and saluting the flag of the United States Of America.

Learning was a day by day event as the mission changed from time to time depending on our visitors.

Brass Management gave directives and my team acted upon those fervently without haste.

The hardest part of the job was going home everyday, and when we had BRAC.
Secretary (Office Automation) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2015
Walter reed was located off Georgia Avenue at the time and has since relocated to Bethesda. The base was small and parking was difficult.
Pros
supportive leadership
Cons
difficult commute, difficult parking
Too many years ago to write effective review
Certified Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 21, 2014
Worked there almost 40 years ago, any review at this time would not be representative of current working environment. However, I did learn a lot and enjoyed my time working in a military hospital.
it had an free use of weight room gym, and also basketball court
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  washington dcDecember 21, 2014
A typical day at work was serving others, and lots of cooking, and cleaning. I learned about proper food procedures. Management was descent. I had had 3 managers. I got along with all but one. I cannot really think of any hard part of any job. The most enjoyable part was the friendships i made while there.
Pros
every other weekends off, and my work schedule.
Cons
no cons
Loved the atmosphere
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington DCDecember 4, 2014
Responsible for securing daily purchase and payment receipts and company funds.
Marketed and sold company products and services face to face.
Processed purchases
Secured the store at the close of the business day.
Will do it again in a heart beat. I loved working here and gaining knowledge to further my career in a place where i can grow.

4.4