Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Employee Reviews

Leading healthcare facility with endless opportunities to learn and grow
COTA/L (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDAugust 24, 2015
During my 6+ years here, I have been able to expand my career as a certified occupational therapy assistant and increase my skills working in an acute care setting.
Clinic
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJuly 10, 2015
Good atmosphere for work and friendly professional staff. In depth training and the ability to advance with in the department to learn different positions.
Great hospital but many problems
Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJune 21, 2015
Nurses understaffed. There is a disparity between RN's and LPN's, meaning the LPN's frequently do not follow directions, come in late, refuse tasks, and band amongst themselves according to the country they originated from. I found that to be extremely frustrating.
Rewarding Experience
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDMarch 29, 2015
I enjoyed my time there. I learned a lot about inventory control and menu planning. My shipmates were very educated and fair.
A wonderful experience to serve the men and women that serve us
Senior System Administrator/Engineer (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDMarch 20, 2015
Pros: great mess halls, great people to work with, robust working environment, sense of accomplishment at the end of the day
Cons: traffic!
A typical day at work involves saluting our Flag every morning before tending to our work. It is a wonderful experience to work alongside some of the greatest people in the armed services. You really feel like you're doing good for your work.

I have learned that despite a very hard and pushy environment to get your job done, you can look back at the end of the day and feel proud of what you'd done. Most important of all, if you need a break, you can step out, grab some fresh air, then come back in fully refreshed and ready to attack the next task.

Management and co-workers are amazing. They can be painful to deal with sometimes, but you can really feel and appreciate the passion they have for the work they do. Again, it is a wonderful experience.

The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job. Granted some team meetings can last well over an hour or two, but they are quite substantive to keep track of what is going on in your project, anything new coming down the pike in terms of work to perform, and most importantly working with newer technologies.
Productive: meet new soldiers and family members daily
Lead Health System Specialist (PEBLO) (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDMarch 7, 2015
Pros: building greater relationships with others
Cons: the constant changes within the agency
My daily work schedule was constantly counseling and data entry. Building working relationship with co-workers, being a Team Lead was a great experience for myself and to grow in management. The Job was not hard, and the most enjoyable was meeting new people along the way from all walks of life.
Senior IT Specialist
Senior Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: great team of technicians, good support from management
Cons: limited growth
Answer calls, troubleshoot in person issues, install and troubleshoot hardware and software, train new technicians. work with printers, laptops and desktops.
Easy Job but tedious work
Contractor/Program Manager/Program Analyst (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJanuary 5, 2015
My day consisted of making spreadsheets all day. Spreadsheets were for the budgeting department and kept track of expenses. We helped each other out when needed and maintained a safe environment. Another thing I did there was make flyers, programs and things of that nature on Microsoft Office.
Job security
Requirement Analyst/Medical Technologist (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDOctober 19, 2014
A diverse work environment with well structured work flow.
Loved it there
Henry Jackson Foundation-Healthcare Specialist (Former Employee), Bethesda, Md.October 13, 2014
Pros: patients
Cons: management
Fun place to work, and most importantly I loved taking care of the wounded warriors.
A lack of accountability in with Management in IT department
Senior Help Desk Technician Lead (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDAugust 11, 2014
A lack of accountability in with Management in IT department
not applicable
OR/PACU Ward Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJuly 31, 2014
• Assisted senior leadership with new process definition, analysis, design, and implementation
• Proofread and edited outgoing correspondence to ensure the proper use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation
• Provided advice to staff regarding healthcare administrative policies and procedures
• Procured equipment and set up equipment
• Worked daily with Essentris, AHLTA, and CHCS computer programs in addition to the Microsoft Office Suite
• Coordinated scheduling of wounded warrior and medical director travel, admissions, and referrals in conjunction with filing, medical record maintenance, unit activities, and conferences
• Compiled data regarding patient statistics and staffing patterns to use for letters from physicians and recurring reports
Great experience, fun place to work, very rewarding.
Operating Room Specialist (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJuly 22, 2014
 Assist in preparing patients and operating room environments for surgery
 Provide assistance to the medical staff during surgical procedures
 Perform various preoperative and postoperative procedures
 Maintain the cleanliness of the operating room and set up sterile fields for surgical procedures
 Receive, clean, decontaminate, sterilize, store and issue various medical supplies and equipment used during surgical procedures
 Provide technical guidance to subordinates
 Perform operating room scrubs and provides scrub and circulator services as required
 Set up, position, and operate specialized operating room equipment
Military Hospital
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDJuly 4, 2014
A typiclal day at work for me is caring for wounded warriors and their families. It gives me great pleasure to be able to serve patients and resolved their issues with a calm and caring attitude .I am honored to be able to work in such an environment were one can help people who has serious physical and mental issues and help some soldiers with their day to day situations. Also, my work family really look up to me for answers. I'm glad that I'm able to train and have the experience to carry them through their tasks at hand. The most enjoyable part of my job are the patients. I loved to help and assist patients with their needs.
Productive and fun work place
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDJune 10, 2014
Pros: good salary, decent breaks, health care, paid transportation by train and bus.
Cons: being furloughed without pay.
The day starts 0645, ends 1515 monday through Friday. After the morning report we enter the floor, introduce myself to my assigned patient, access the patient, assist in preparing their daily goal sheet for the morning community meeting ensuring that hygiene and his living area has been done. Breakfast arrives to the floor. While pts are at breakfast the note is opened with writers assessment of patient. This has to be done prior to 1000. After breakfast the milieu is prepared for morning community meeting. All patient and the entire staff of the day are present. the staff is comprised of army psych.Tech's navy corpsman's civilian psych techs, both branch doctors, military nursing students RN's civilian and military. Staff introduces themselves and their roles on the unit along with patient's assignments to individual teams, health and welfare inspections are conducted.Then patients introduce themselves a therapeutic goal and feelings. This is completed by 0930. Their first group starts promptly at 1000. There is nursing groups, doctors group, OT and lunch. The afternoon 1300 nursing group, Yoga done by a professional group. Dog therapy and art therapy. The duty day ends at 1600. Treatment planning is done twice weekly. The hardest parts of the job 1:1's line of sights and having to restrain a patient. The enjoyable part of the job is being able to participate in all aspect of therapy. My input in patient treatment planning, preparing and facilitating nurses group and escorting patients on air-evacuation all over the country to the different military bases.
Leaders
Supply Management Specialist, Innovation Manager (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDMay 18, 2014
Innovation Manager
Lean six sigma, Project Management Professional
Over see 72 individuals
Great work environment
Great Experience!
Associate Director for Clinical Support Services (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDApril 1, 2014
Pros: education opprtunities
Cons: high turnover
One of the busiest military treatment facilities. My superiors taught me how to be an effective leader. Management ensure that you were challenged every day. Co-workers will to learn and support teamwork. Hardest part of the job, when the operation tempo increased, the hours at work were long.
Most enjoyable part is seeing the fruits of your labor.
Poor Management
Health Technician (Former Employee), BethesdaMarch 29, 2014
Cons: food, parking, resources, general management, patient care
Poorly managed and not a productive environment for any healthcare professional. The organization pacifies their problems by holding weekly talent shows and fun events to distract employees from the real issues that aren't being addressed.
Great place to work. Always something to look forward to.
CUSTOMER SERVICE RELATIONS (Former Employee), Bethesda, MarylandMarch 5, 2014
Working for Walter Reed National Military Medical Center was a great place to kick start my desire to get involved in healthcare.
IT Support for Military Health Facility
Information Assurance Engineer (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDFebruary 20, 2014
* Fast paced environment in the Military Health Industry.
* Management and co-workers are qualified and a dedicated to the mission.
* The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of the Information Security team supporting the mission of providing world class health care to wounded warriors and military veterans.