Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Bittersweet..
Management Analyst, Resource Management (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2015
So the actual Department I worked in was great, the Contractor was the issue. while they did pay well, their communication with direct department heads was horrible. To many contradictions when it came to job descriptions and direction of positions. Some of this may have been due to the impending closure and bidding wars, however it could have been handled much more professionally..
Pros
Great pay and benefits plus OT.
Cons
Communication between management and contractor needs work.
The Federal sector here is mired with process
Unified Communications Architect (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2016
I worked at WRNMMC as a contractor,The central mission of the command is the care of active duty military, dependents, retirees and wounded warriors. The hospital is the pinnacle of military medicine, has several centers of excellence, conducts leading edge research and supports training of the next generation of military medical providers.
Pros
It seemed to be a great hospital when I was working there. The dining choices are excellent.
Cons
Horrible place to work. Bad communication between co-workers and higher ups.
Fun work place
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 30, 2016
During a typical day I supervise the front desk, greet the customers as they come in for meetings. The people I work with are very polite. The Management needs more communication as to how work needs to be completed in the office.
Wonderful place to work
General Duty Corpsman (Medical Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 22, 2016
Working at Walter Reed on the Internal Medicine/Surgical Ward was the foundation of my medical experience. While providing great staff, such as the CNAs, Nurses, and Doctors to work beside, it also provides wonderful clinical experience for anybody in the medical field. The greatest part of the job was interacting with so many different people and providing them with the help they needed.
Pros
Endless Learning Opportunities, Friendly Staff
Cons
Sometimes undermanned
Innovative military treatment facility
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 14, 2016
good place to work, learn and grow. Enjoyed the culture of respect and disciplined work structure. Parking is a challenge.
Walter Reed: Helping Wounded Warriors
Executive Assistant - Human Resources Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2015
Smart Management and smart co-workers have made Walter Reed Army Medical Center a proud place to advance your career. Being a part of a historcal base, that has cared for some of the most promoent memebers of the military, and presidents alike has made my career much more worth while,
Pros
Co-Works, beautiful landscaping
Cons
Base now closed
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 8, 2016
Here at Walter Reed the working expereience is truly one of a kind. You encoutner a lot of different people with different cultures as well as different personalities. The diversity is amazing and it feels good to give back to your country in some from of fashion.
Work-life programs in place were not open to everyone
Supervisory Nurse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 27, 2016
I learned how difficult it is for a Federal Agency with different cultures, values and beliefs to merge.

The merger of Army and Navy was like mixing water and oil.

It will take years before the two cultures start to meld and understand their differences as well as value their similarities as we move to a smaller, smarter, military force.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Jagged management structure which did not often work well or timely enough
Rewarding
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 27, 2016
I enjoy working at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. I have been there for almost 5 years and I have witnessed and participated in a lot of the development growth. Its also rewarding to know that your ultimate mission is to support our wounded warriors as they made the sacrifice to service our Country.
Pros
Training and continued development is encouraged
Cons
I want to utlize more of the training and skills that I've learned from PMI framework.
nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2016
Its and okay place to work but need a little work deal with management, and how they treat employees, they needed to speak to employees a little better than they do
Pros
smiles from the customers
Cons
management needs to work with employees

Want to know more about Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?

Ask a question
Contractors don't get paid well and contracts last for a year and salary will then take a dive.
Government Contractor - Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 24, 2016
The people are friendly...management can be unfair to contractors. You cannot complain about treatment and expect results as a contractor. Options are to to find another contract position or leave. I have to believe that other federal agencies are more complete.
Pros
Inexpensive lunch
Cons
salary for contractors is meaningless.
Lots of issues
Emergency room medic (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJune 9, 2015
When I was a medic at walter reed there were alot of issues with the way our wounded warriors were taken care of. Not enough accountability among the higher ranking doctors for negligence, Not enough staff to take care of the wounded warriors, The barracks for wounded warriors was awful. The nurses and medics were all over worked and the environment was not one of pride or hardwork but was all about who could get away with doing the least amount of work. There was alot of finger pointing when standards of care weren't met. It also seemed that the harder a person worked the more work is put on that person and the people who should have been accountable for less than satisfactory work were given lighter work loads leading to the hard working employees getting over worked.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Management, Work load, The way wounded warriors were taken care of.
dish washer
Food Service Clerk/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 30, 2015
what i learned was kitchen maintenance in a hospital setting
management was very professional
Assured all assigned tasks and responsibilities are completed prior to the end of each shift.
Pros
gaining the work experience
Cons
temp job
Very Good opportunities for growth
interim site manager (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 2, 2016
Overall very good health care facility with alot of opportunities for growth and development for both military personnel and civilians alike.
Pros
Free use of gym facilities
Great Place
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 17, 2016
Love working here, great environment. Don't drive, take the metro. Staff are always willing to help and nothing more satisfying than serving our nations heroes.
friendly environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 28, 2016
friendly and productive work place and team work, the staff is focus on patient care and the patient is the center of everything
Pros
team players
Cons
n/a
Productive place
nurse (Current Employee) –  MarylandDecember 21, 2015
As a teaching hospital, I learned a lot in the facility and had a great time gaining experiences in the nursing realm. Great preceptors and good place to start a career off
Very interesting
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2016
Walter Reed was an interesting place. I enjoyed there showing the injured soldiers my appreciation. The pay was ok and the benefits were pretty decent.
Productive place to work
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2016
Productive and fun place to work. The opportunity to learn and interact positive with patients and management is possible
Pros
Productive place to work.
Cons
racial issues
Great work environment
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Eckerd Pharmacy. Both of the Pharmacists taught me a lot while i was employed with them as well as the lead Pharmacy technician.

4.2