Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Employee Reviews

Productive and Constructive Workplace
Shadowed Oncologist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2017
Followed the oncologist into meetings to see how their check-ups were. Learned ways to keep the patient engaged without using complex medical terms. Sat in on diagnosis meetings to find what the best option for the patient was.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Breaks
nurse
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2017
This has been my favorite job ,throughout my career. This job provided the opportunity to work along side active duty military medical staff. The was much opportunity for professional growth, and research participation. I gained knowledge of HIV staging and coordination of HIV patients care. there is opportunity to participate on an interdisplinary team. The opportunity to cross train in other specialty areas was available. A nurse could pursue any career path ,she desired. The administrative staff consisted mostly of Colonels and Lieutenant Colonels. Sergeants managed the enlisted staff and nursing support staff. It was a wonderful experience and opportunity.
Pros
Very diverse staff
Cons
The surrounding neighborhood was very dangerous
It was the military
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 12, 2017
The military offers great benefits and learning opportunities. It provides classes that help with your transition from military to civilian life. It was an opportunity to be on the inside of a hospital learn the politics that exist within a hospital and get hands on experience working in an ER
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Hospital/Military Politics
It is a nice place to work.
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 10, 2017
It is a nice place to work. I will recommend it to anyone. It is a pleasure to work in environment where you can help the one who needs help. I have learned the culture.
Pros
No free lunch, but reasonable price.
Cons
In all care setting, you have 30 minutes to 1 hour for luch. Depends how you use it.
Team working facility, helping
Receptionist/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 6, 2017
Working here has taught me a lot. It has made me grow and I like how everyone pretty much gets along. Work definitely gets done and people are nice. The management is so understanding and wants everyone to be as one. A typical day of work here is filled with laughs and good talks. The hardest part of working here is when someone isn't there, only because we are already short staffed as is.
One thing that is really hard for me is the commute though, it sucks!
Pros
Timely lunch breaks
Cons
Commuting
My favorite place of employment ever.
MEDICAL RECORDS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2017
Walter Reed was one of the best jobs I have ever worked for in my life. I really enjoyed working at this military hospital because I made a difference in people's lives. I appreciated the soldiers that fought for our country. I was also honored to have the privilege of helping them in their time of need. Wonderful place to work on any given day.
Writing verbatims and presenting them in group was grueling at times, but overall rewarding.
Clinical Pastoral Resident (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2017
Reporting to my preceptor in the Department of Ministry and Pastoral Care department for the divvying up the list of visits or related ministries. A patient first mentality reigned. Working the amputees offered the most challenges but was also the most rewarding.
Pros
working with a highly skilled interdisciplinary team and being in the nations capitol
Cons
Being on-call during weekends or holidays
A bit of history
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Walter Reed. It was a great place to work and I'm so glad I had the chance to work there before it closed. Walter Reed Military Hospital in Washington DC is now closed.
Pros
Closed
Cons
Closed
Good place to work.
Behavioral Science Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 27, 2017
I was a young soldier. Walter Reed is a well known institution. I enjoyed my time there where I was allowed to work with hospital patients out of the Social Work Dept. I made nursing home placements and counseled cancer patients.
Warrior Cafe is about the little guy
Operation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 26, 2017
I learn that if you take care of your customer you will love what you do that's what customer service is the little guy has just as much rights as the person with a lot of money and Walter Reed holds true to that
Pros
Training
Cons
policy on being a rehire

Want to know more about Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?

Ask a question
productive and fun workplace
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 25, 2017
productive and fun workplace. Staff and patients are very friendly. Family oriented facility. Supervisor are caring. The only problem i would like to address about the facility is that their is no staff parking.
Good place to learn
Full time MRI Staff at Walter Reed Medical (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 22, 2017
Not an ideal place for everyone. It is government job with a lot of bureaucracy and slow process and managed by government . However ,if someone wants to learn more ,this is the place.
Pros
Large
Cons
not organized
Taking control of the needs of others.
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 21, 2017
I enjoyed working at Walter Reeds hospital, putting the solders first making sure they have everything. Taking the time to listen to someone is a value care of life.
n/a
Sr. Communications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 18, 2017
Its alot to say but since its a government facilities, I choose not to speak about it. So far the culture is workable and the environment is acceptable.
Try to be a GS employee
Contract Social Worker- (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 16, 2017
I was a contractor and that made it difficult due to the salary and benefits package and having to deal with the contract renewing and starting with a new salary. Try to become a GS employee, if possible. Typical government/hospital setting. Knowledge of Military Culture is a must (or willingness to learn).
Mission for Soldiers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2017
No better place to work! Ability to support the overall mission to provide the absolute best medical healthcare for all our troops especially those who are wounded.
Pros
Great people and environment
Cons
commute
Working at Walter Reed
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 15, 2017
The patient load on the telemetry ward was a bit busy but I gained a ton of experience with patient care and office setting. Everyone helped with the well-being of each patient, which made the workload not so difficult.
That my review
Certified Medical Assistant/LPN (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 14, 2017
The hospital was a very busy place to work, but fun helping to care for the wounded warriors and their families. We were always training and learning
Pros
cheap food
Cons
no parking
no longer operational
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 3, 2017
My account is being created for me. The person does not know anything about Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and therefore will not be able to provide a review
No accountability; lazy, incompetent staff; poor management
Health System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 28, 2017
Staff are not here for the patients. Patients will wait while the staff are sitting around on their phones. Supervisors are incompetent and do not hold anyone accountable. Senior leaders do not seem to care that our department is so inefficient. They make someone else do a job that is not in their PD because the person who is supposed to do it is incompetent but don't hold them accountable for their incompetence. Zero room for advancement and not sure how some of these GS have advanced to the level they are since they do not know what they are doing. Verbal abuse from senior leader. This could be an awesome place to work (and it could just be my department) if they purged all the lazy, incompetent staff and started over. Too afraid to fire contractors who are not doing their job so we end up suffering with bad workers because of poor leadership. Military leaders are not holding military members accountable and are always pulling them away from patient care for ridiculous reasons.
Pros
Some of the people, hours
Cons
Incompetent leaders and staff members

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2