Washington Federal Employee Reviews

Growing, but not without major pains and a little chaos
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 18, 2017
Great Regional presidents, great corporate aid to divisions, immediate management disallows for growth except for where they want you. Pay is incredibly low in comparison.
Poor wages, no bonus, poor treatment of woman
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2017
please stay away from this company.WF lies, no bonus, no merit raise, health care insurance is not affordable. treat of employees by management is horrid.
Pros
Cons
wages, treatment by management, very cruel company
great environment
Customer Service Representative/ Teller (Current Employee) –  Price, UTMay 24, 2017
I love this job, it's a small office and I really feel like a valued member of the office. The members of the bank are so kind and its an all around wonderful place to work.
Pros
It's an easy job that has plenty of room to grow.
Cons
i'm not getting enough hours.
Professional and Appropriate
Assistant Branch Manager/ Mortgage Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington StateMay 23, 2017
I believe that I had every opportunity for growth and development here. I was given multiple raises and promotions in the short time i have been with the company. Although i believe that with such a successful company that the pay should be increased. Great benefits and 401K options.
Pros
Opportunity for change and growth
Cons
Pay
Loved working there
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 2, 2017
Worked as Mortgage Loan Processor for Conventinal loans only. Provided early disclosures and took up through pre-underwriting. Loved working there, great atmosphere, great people to work with. All processor jobs have now been eliminated.
Productive and a fun place to work
Operations (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 21, 2017
The people and atmosphere is welcoming and management is always will to work with you to ensure you achieve your career goals.The pay is not very competitive but its a great place to get experience.
Pros
Covers commuting fa
Cons
The pay
Terrible workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORMarch 14, 2017
This company said they valued their employees but they didn't. They provided hardly any training for the job I was required to do, and rushed the training process to meet corporate deadlines. The only pros to this job is that it was close to home and the pay was okay with decent benefits. Other than that, everything was terrible and the pay is way below national banking average.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients, they were always very friendly and liked to stop by and give us home made treats.

The worst part of the job was management and lack of training.
Pros
Working with friendly clients and a 45mn lunch.
Cons
short breaks, everything else
They want everything with little pay and treat employees like dirt
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 14, 2017
It has to be the absolute bank/credit union I have ever worked for. They tempt people with a good 401k plan however you are not allowed to talk, can not have a life outside of work and the management has no personality. The employees feel as though they are constantly walking on eggshells. I would never recommend this horrible banking institution.
Bank teller
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMMarch 9, 2017
I would daily do cashing checks, deposits. I would distribute money among the other branches. I would handle large amounts of cash. I would open checking, savings, CD, IRA accounts.
Pros
Good work environment before the buy of Bank of America
Cons
Management would not back up employees
Good place to work for a particular type of person
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 14, 2017
Not many companies can say that they are a centennial company. 100 years is a great legacy! I am confident that Washington Federal will continue going strong for many years to come.
Horrible place to work
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2017
I was a banker for 3 months with Washington Federal, I have been in the banking industry for 11+ years and have to say this is the worst bank I have ever worked for. They have 0 training no spending a few weeks in a class room to prepare you for the job you are going to do. They throw you in and give you little to no attention or guidance and expect you to produce and as they say "learn on your own" which consists of taking very boring online courses. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
To many to list
Great place to work, highly recommanded.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 31, 2016
Great place to work, but due to family issues, I want to relocate to Chicago Illinois
With almost ten years of experience in management roles, excellent ability in Delete repeated word, organizing, developing, implementing, and supervising complex programs and special projects, as well as delegating responsibilities as needed. outstanding capability to work with people of many different backgrounds at different levels of authority. a profound personal dedication to produce cost-effective results.
Pros
Excellent place to work
Cons
Dont have many branches.
bank
75 plus calls daily assisting customers (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 27, 2016
It has been an honor given the chance for washington federal giving me a job. i do what i can to make sure i reach their expectations.knowing i solved a problem that now one can makes me feel good and i accomplished something.
Low pay, bad moral
Varios pisitions (Former Employee) –  ArizonaNovember 7, 2016
Beyond the job paying absolutely nothing (actually quite pathetic), the managers are horrible. The Division/Regional Managers & corporate HR, does nothing about moral & personnel issues. Hard work is not recognized, and there is no common sense what so ever with Regional/Division/corporate managers. Basically this is a company that will take unqualified people with no education, pay them pennies and put them in positions with no training. There is no training and the expectations or the pay is unreasonable.
Pros
Monday thru Friday schedule
Cons
Everything besides schedule!!!
fun and productive work place
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDOctober 19, 2016
Great interaction with people. I enjoyed meeting new people daily. I enjoyed the quick pace work environment. Great people to work with and work for. Customer service has its ups and downs.
Great Environment and Staff
Teller (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAAugust 26, 2016
A Typical day at Washington Federal is processing teller transactions, answering questions such as problems with their online banking, how they would go about sending wires etc. Working with this company I have learned to better my customer service skills greet most of the clients by their name answering questions and following up with them. I have learned to open new accounts, send wires & redeem savings bonds. I worked for Washington Federal for almost 5 years, the branch manger was very friendly and very helpful I have enjoyed my time working with Washington Federal. The hardest thing about working for a bank is dealing with rude clients that are not happy with the bank changes and that are unable to keep up with their account activity. The most enjoyable part of the job is the staff not just the branch but everyone that works for this company is very nice & helpful
Pros
Enough staffing 401k benifits
Cons
Pay
Management is everything
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Sequim, WAAugust 7, 2016
I was targeted by the branch manager, micromanaging my every move. I went above her to district management who did nothing to rectify the situation. I happily left this job some years ago and am aware there is a new branch manager now, hopefully they've made the work environment a tolerable one.
good place to work for until you find something better
None (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJuly 21, 2016
You only want to work here temporarily not permanently, they believe their conditions are typical and they are not. They believe they go to bat for each other, they do not. They believe they are something and they are not. Their product as a bank is okay their working environment isn't.
Workload for certain positions is impossible to achieve
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORJuly 10, 2016
Pay is not in line with the industry. Not enough staffing to help Managers' or staff achieve their goals. There was never a typical day. Each day was dependent on how the day began...if people were sick, customers needing help that required a lot of time spent with them. Co-workers were great. The hardest part was short staffing.
Pros
Free soda and canned food in lunchroom
Cons
Promises not met and pay is way below the industry
A happy work environment
Appraisal Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 7, 2016
An office culture that presents the epitome of teamwork and value in professionalism. I've learned that the qualities needed to succeed start from teamwork and to pick up traits and ideas from everyone around you is the best way to develop a professional attitude.
Pros
Ability to learn more than necessary.
Cons
Smaller companies have less momentum for growth/promotions.