The Washington Humane Society (WHS) is seeking an experienced, detailed orientated Animal Control Investigator (ACI). WHS is the only Congressionally-chartered animal welfare agency in the United States, providing comfort and care to nearly 30,000 animals each year through its broad range of programs and services. WHS operates two open-admission shelters and the National Capital Area Spay and Neuter Center. WHS is a rapidly growing organization. This full-time position will be located at the District of Columbia Animal Care Control Shelter and will report to the Director of Animal Control and Field Services.
This position will be tasked with responding to and investigating dog bites, and conducting inspections of various animal use facilities and activities throughout the District of Columbia. The ACI will work closely with members of the DC Department of Health and the Metropolitan Police Department to achieve the goals set forth under this position.
- Receives and responds to animal bites within the District of Colombia. Completes necessary interviews, reports and recommendations for submission. Maintains case files consistent with WHS standards.
- Conducts inspections of various licensed animal related facilities and activities such as: applications for Hobby Permits, Commercial Breeding facilities, Commercial Guard Dog Operations, traveling animal exhibits etc.
- Performs those duties as assigned to Animal Control Officers when available and necessary
- Drafts, secures and executes, when necessary, Administrative warrants for animal impoundment
- Testifies in court proceedings related to duties performed.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years as a successful Animal Control Officer
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Must be comfortable interviewing animal bite victims and owners of biting animals
- Must be familiar with the DC Dangerous and Potentially Dangerous Dog laws and other applicable laws and regulations
- Must be familiar with rabies and quarantine laws and regulations
- Be familiar with breed identification
- Basic understanding of photography techniques
- Knowledge of animal behavior, particularly canine aggression
- Knowledge of animal husbandry and proper care for various animals including exotic and rare species, farm animals and companion animals
- Must keep current on knowledge of dog bite factors and studies
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter outlining your qualifications and salary history and your resume with the subject line “ACI.”
Learn more at www.washhumane.org.
The Washington Humane Society (WHS), the only Congressionally-chartered animal welfare agency in the United States, has been the leading...