Washington Humane Society Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
not a fair place to work
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  dcAugust 12, 2015
loved my job but would not work there again. They did me wrong by firing me because I had an injury that permitted me from doing my duties for a little while and permitted me from going to work .( I was in a car accident) and hurt my back and they said that I was being insubordinate for missing days off work even with my doctor's note.
Not your ideal work place
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee) –  1201 New York Ave. NEApril 14, 2015
Working at the Humane Society of DC you would be shocked to find how inhumane it can be. I'm not referring to the patrons who come in to dump their once beloved pets, although that is often a hard pill to swallow. I am speaking of the management. As an employee you are over worked and under appreciated. You will often find yourself being bullied and punished for things that are out of your control. And when you turn to look for assistance from a superior they have left for the day. The shelter is a fast paced environment with an assortment of things to learn but can also have an overwhelming risk of danger. There is no real training taking place for newcomers who have no background in animal care. Often they are thrown out front alone to face whatever crisis that may occur with no real knowledge of how to rectify it. Management knows this is happening but still they continue the same cycle. Staff members have been bitten and/or scratched by animals several times due to poor training and management. And once an animal has bitten someone is it no longer an adoption candidate and thus it's name is added to the euthanasia list. Needless to say countless animals are being put to sleep because they are being mishandled and biting out of fear. I don't want to say that working at the shelter would be complete let down because you will find joy in the animals you are able to help and the people you work with closely. Your coworkers will be the only things that keep you sane and able to continue working on the rough days. And when you see an animal that you were sure wouldn't make it  more... through the night, due to it's health or behavior issues, being put on the adoption floor and adopted. You will know that all though your job is more cumbersome than it needs to be, it is worth it to see an animal getting the chance it deserves to live and be loved again.  less
Pros
Saving/helping animals, helping patrons who want the best for their pets, coworkers, learning medical information
Cons
poor management, no breaks, bullying, danger of bodily harm, no real training except for what is done on the job and that is limited
Fun exciting place to work.
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.COctober 4, 2014
I work with animals so new things happen everyday. Very helpful organization to help animals. Also a place to learn more about animals, I've learned a lot since I've started the job for example medical needs and overall everyday needs of animals. Management is a very changeable experience as well. very versatile culture oriented job to meet different people from day one of the job. Good place for advancement and opportunity to create a career. Hardest part of the job are the changes that can be everyday you work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the animals, you might see something you've never seen in person.
Animal Care Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 27, 2014
A typical day was cleaning cages and toys for the animals, caring for the animals, so feeding and interacting with the animals which was very fun. I managed myself and reported to my internship supervisor. Hardest part, there really wasnt anything hard about this internship. Most enjoyable was getting to spend time with the animals.
Fun Workplace
Animal Caregiver (Former Employee) –  washington dcDecember 29, 2013
Experience handling domestic and wild animals;
Excellent communication skills and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment;
Ability to find creative solutions to challenges;
A team-oriented approach to work, with an ability to bring out the best in peers;
Passion for the Washington Humane Society’s mission.
playful job with the ability to build long term relationships
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2013
Become very familiar with animals behavior. An work environment where you can build strong relationships with pets and possible adopters. Learn how to properly medicate sick animals.