Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Employee Reviews in United States

Stressful and thankless job
Supervisor. Asset Management (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2016
A typical day was filled with changing priorities. Management is constantly riding your back to get things done but does not provide the proper resources to achieve. Enjoyed working with peers and other coworkers.
Great place to work!
Superintendent, Bus Service Operations (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2016
I'm headed towards retirement and WMATA has been a wonderful place to work. I would like to relocate to Tampa, Florida after retirement!
Great Company
GM Officer of Procurement & Materials (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2016
Great company for an intern to start out and to also learn. Staff was really eager to teach and encourage each to perform as best as we could.
Fast paced environment Interacting with many people
Station Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2016
The best part of this work environment is the people that you get to help and meet each day. Ive learned that your first impression is the best impression so with meeting new people every minute, you must always bring your best foot forward.
Pros
Great Compensation/Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, management
A lot of great people work there.
Document Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2016
This job made me think on my feet. I learned a lot of new skills. One enjoyed the work. I did not enjoy all of the moving around from office to office.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No health care
stable salary
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDFebruary 26, 2016
productive and secured career. flexible schedules. great location. I have nothing else to provide as a review at this time
Pros
great pay
Cons
safety
executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2016
WMATA is a great company to work for. I enjoyed working as the Executive Assistant for the CEO of Vehicle Program Services and the Program managers.
Great pay and opportunities
Control Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 30, 2015
Worked in control center.. Very stressful but rewarding financially on pay day. Possible 6 months to a year training if your hired from the outside and about 26 weeks of training from coming up from the ranks.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stressful environment
pool table, ping pong table
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Street, MDNovember 20, 2015
very nice place to work meeting people and being able to drive a bus was a great experience for me. this is a job where you could move up in to management or go in to training or just be a but driver over all a very good place to work
Pros
good pay
Cons
traffic
Challenging place to work
TECHNICAL PROJECT MANAGER LEVEL III (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2015
Challenging place to work but compensation is OK. Advancement can be difficult due to the culture and promoting solely on years in the company.
Needs improvement,Coworkers Good people to work with
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  WashingtonOctober 25, 2015
They need to treat their senior techs which they invested so much time effort and money into as if as they would a new hire shower them with full authority to do their job in a productive and safe manner
Behind the Times
Manager of Supply Chain Planning (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2015
This organization is headed in the right direction. However they are still stuck in the late 80's with much of they way they do business. If you are good at process improvement, and are a hard worker, and can put up with opposition from people who have been doing the same job the same way for 30+ years then there isn't a level that you cannot reach in this organization from a management standpoint. They need to do away with the union also because it cause much of the workers to be unproductive. In short if you can put up with the culture here there is plenty of room for career progression.
Pros
Job security and advancement for hard workers
Cons
bad business practices
Challenging and Educational Environment
Sr. Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2015
I performed cradle to grave procurements from Acquisition Planning to Close Out. I performed negotiations and worked extensively with internal and external customers on highly technical engineering projects
Beneficial work place with positive environment and many opportunities
Art in Transit Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2015
I've been working as a summer intern for WMATA for 3 years. Each year I have experienced the upmost support of coworkers and helpful guidance from my supervisor. They've provided me with an amazing work place experience, along with training sessions that prepare me for any future in the workforce.
Pros
Free Metro, Great training
Great place to work and grow if you want to
Maximo Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2015
I have learned a lot during my time working there. Have a chance to learn other avenues other than my normal job. I learned that I have a great training and planning ability.
Pros
Ability to learn different aspects of the job
Cons
Don't have one.
Opportunities to grow
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2015
There are a lot of opportunities to add value as a Consultant. I have worked with multiple teams in the Accounting, Procurement and IT Departments.
The retirement is great!
MetroBus Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2015
A typical day at work is just about delivering the customer to his or her destination safely and without incident. Wmata is a great place to work and there is plenty of advancement to move up the corporate ladder.
Pros
The Retirement is Great!!
Cons
I wish Wmata had a 4 day work week for Operators
Nice place to work
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Andews Air Force BaseApril 4, 2015
On a typical day and almost everyday you wash dishes. all we did was serve army personnel, but overall its a place to work.
Good Compensation and Job Security
Electronic Safety and Security Systems Support (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2015
Company is very safety oriented, Employees are to strictly follow the safety rules and wear all safety equipment.
Great oportunities to get technical training on the different systems throughout the system.
balanced work force.
A great place to grow
Senior Diversity & Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2015
If you are fortunate enough to work in the right department that fits you, you will have a long last career at WMATA. Great location and free Metro rides.

4.3