Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 20, 2017
Excellent place to work, lots of opportunity. The authority overall values its employees and works to ensure safety is the number one priority. employees support one another and growth is required.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
Sr. SOA Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 19, 2017
Good working place
Good timing
Good management
Good environment
Nice culture
Flexible timing
Morning and evening traffic is bad
Good Security
Not much remote work
ROCC Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Landover, MD 20785July 19, 2017
Great place to work as long as you know your job and understand all the rules and regulations and standard operation procedures.The culture is changing now was a very military type organization. Great benefits and retirement pension
Benefits
Cons
working weekends and senority
Very stressful work environment.
Director, Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2017
Very long work days.
Stressful work environment so may people are burnt out.
Low workplace moral so absenteeism is very high .
No employee accountability.
Great people to work with.
Elevator / Escalator Inspection & Instructor (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 11, 2017
I have been working at Wmata for over 4 years, and have found that there are many wonderful people to work with. Management tries to put its employees in the position to succeed.
It's who you know
INVENTORY PARTS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 6, 2017
If you want to advance you have to be in the club. The pay and benefits are good. The lazy and the ones least knowledgeable get promoted. Over the person that knows the job and is expected to do the work of the one promoted.
Good place to work in the early years
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2017
Was a great place to work in the early years. Past few years not so much. To many people hired in later years that had no idea what goes on outside the building in which they never leave. Benefits were the best in the area, but now they are not as good as they use to be. They have dumb down lots of the rules, which make it harder for the experienced personnel to get jobs done much more efficient both in cost and safety.
Training not as good as it use to be and it seems that most of the new people feel entitled and just let others do the work and will not learn their job.
Pros
Decent vaction and sick leave policy
Cons
To many rules made by personnel that don't do the actual jobs
Nice working place in Dc Metro Area
Tier II Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2017
The best place to work in Washington Metro Area,very nice co-workers they all help each other and friendly managers.also we get every week free lunch. We also get free ride from this company.
Cons
One hour break
Multi-line Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2017
Lots of opportunity. Most of the employees are devoted to Metro and live within the area and have been there a long time. Great place to work. Would go back to Metro if the opportunity presents......
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
work hours are great
Very Customer Oriented
Rail Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2017
A typical day at Wmata requires you to maintain a professional attitude at all times. During my employment with Wmata, I have learned how to deal with people as individuals, on a typical day you will have customers that you can't please, but one main thing that I've learned that dealing with people is a skill, not achievable by everyone. I have enjoyed talking and helping the people, from all different walks of life that I have met during my career.Our work place Culture is all about Safety, this is the number one priority when working in a Transportation environment

The hardest part of working for the Authority is when you get a customer that leaves not satisfied, even after you have done all you can to please them.And last but certainly not least, The most enjoyable part of my day at Wmata, was seeing the smile on my customers face, and them telling me I was very helpful, or the nicest person they got to meet during their trip.
Pros
Great Pay/Benefits. Getting to meet 100's of people from all over the world.
Cons
very strict policies. Untrained Supervisors, Lack of compassion for Employees
Management is aloud to mismanage their subordinates without consequences
IT Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2017
It is not what you know or even how well you do your work, but who likes you and what click (butt you kiss) to fit in.

The more people you back stab for (current) management the more you are likely to be promoted or have job security.
Pros
Lemons to Lemonade "Positive Growing Pains"
Cons
Healthcare is mediocre
Unexplainable and Unbelievable
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2017
Sometimes one should realize that there is something called protocol. There are too many chiefs who are not in full compliance with their job descriptions.
Overall Experience
General Manager Office of Procurement & Materials (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2017
I was able to grow within this company where I gained several opportunities to experience management and leadership skills.Entire workplace atmosphere was friendly and very diverse in culture.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Short Hours
Productive; ability to grow within organization
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 4, 2017
Was able to learn and grow with the organization. They even had in-house training. Employees were encouraged to continue to learn and advance. Environment was business casual which made it comfortable.
Pros
Pleansant working environment
Cons
Lost lots of position which increased workloads
Good paying working place
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2017
Worked 50 hours a week. Learning different aspects of life dealing with all types of customers building my customer service skills. Hardest part of the job is driving a 40 foot bus while dealing with a problematic person. Narrow streets and turns can be challenging at times, but I love a challenge. Most enjoyable part was getting the experience of driving a 40 foot bus, and meeting all types of different people.
Pros
Good hours per week
Cons
short breaks
Has lost its spot as an employer of choice
Senior Employee Relations Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 27, 2017
I fully believe and am proud of what Metro represents and offers the DMV in transportation services. However, due to years of neglect of the system has brought about many issues which makes it difficult to work in the environment. My immediate leadership is ineffective.

The organization as a whole is struggling to stay afloat financially. As a result, our non-represented workers have borne the brunt of the on-going financial short fall. This means there has not been many advancement opportunities, or performance based increases for those of us not represented by a Union. In addition to which, there are a significant number of lay-off actions which have taken place and continue to take place.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement and salary increases due to budget shortfall.
Good
Assistant Superintendent, Bus Service Operations (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 25, 2017
It is a good company to work for. The company ensures upward mobility if you are willing to put in the hard work. They also have wonderful benefits.
Small intimate atmosphere
Sr. Scheduling Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 24, 2017
Partner-Owners are good persons to work with and generous to share their expert knowledge. I learned much about the intricacies of scheduling and use of the P3/P6 software from them.
Pros
Comraderie among owner-partners and staff
Cons
Short duration work assignments
Silo Mentality.
Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCMarch 21, 2017
The new GM is trying his best, but this organization had years of mismanagement and change doesn't come overnight. Leadership in many departments do not communicate with each other, working in silo is the culture here. Most of the employees (especially upper management) lack federal grants management knowledge. There's no infrastructure in place, and many duties are redundant. No training is provided and general accounting principles are overlooked to complete unrealistic deadlines.
Pros
Free metro, Pay and benefits are pretty decent.
Cons
No career development.
I enjoyed the workplace and it was fun and exciting to be around likeminded people.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2017
I learned how to operate a public transportation while communicating with passengers. My workplace culture was very diverse. Management was relatable and professional. The hardest part of the job was learning how to drive the bus. the most enjoyable part was meeting different people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2