Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee), Andews Air Force BaseApril 4, 2015
On a typical day and almost everyday you wash dishes. all we did was serve army personnel, but overall its a place to work.
Good Compensation and Job Security
Electronic Safety and Security Systems Support (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2015
Company is very safety oriented, Employees are to strictly follow the safety rules and wear all safety equipment.
Great oportunities to get technical training on the different systems throughout the system.
balanced work force.
A great place to grow
Senior Diversity & Compliance Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2015
If you are fortunate enough to work in the right department that fits you, you will have a long last career at WMATA. Great location and free Metro rides.
Room for advancement within
Community Relations Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: off all holidays with pay
Good company to work for where you gain training and there are opportunities for growth within the organization. Great benefits
• Worked with ETL team and helped in designing and developing ETL Scripts using Data Stage. • Worked on SQL Server 2005 and DTS, in export data from e
Cognos Consultant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2015
Cognos 10.2 & 8.4/8.2 Report Studio, Query Studio, Cognos Connection ,Cognos Planning, Framework Manager, Power play Transformer , Cognos Scheduler, Access Manager, Cognos SDK, Java, VB.Net, PL/SQL , IBM DB2 ,SQL Server 2005, DTS, Oracle 11i/10g ,TOAD, HTML, MS-Access, MS- Excel, Unix, Windows NT
Demanding fast pace workplace
Station Manager/ Line Platform Instructor (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: good benefits and job security
Cons: short breaks, no home life, long & late work hours, hard to advance within the company
Dealing and meeting different people from all walks of life. I'm a people person and love talking with people especially when they are from a different place or another state. Metro is a very demanding public transportation career job, having to make sure that the public gets to and from their destination safely.
Great place to work!
Wellness Coordinator Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: ample free time
Cons: none noted
Great place! Learned the basics of a corporate wellness program. Had the ability to grow as an individual and learn a multitude of information under a great supervisor. Everyone is very friendly and helps to accomplish the same goal. Particularly in the health field, every day one is able to get an individual thinking about their personal health more than the day before, is rewarding.
Must be alert at all times, must watch the screen for delays and talk to station managers on a daily basis.
Rail Operations Information Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 7, 2014
Pros: ride the metro free
Cons: working all shifts while in training
A typical day was to watch the different lines on the screen to see if there were any delays in the rail system. If there were delays, we were to inform the customers in the station of the delay by making announcement in all the Metrorail stations. Any incidents on the rail, we had to keep the customers up to date with the incident. Management over the position had some areas of mismanagement. I had almost 30 years in the Authority and I could see those areas that needed improvement. My co-workers were very important part of my job. They provided on the job training for me, assisted me whenever I had a problem or did not know how to handle a situation. Management did not play a part in the training process at all. The hardest part of the job was it could be stressful if you allowed it to be. You had to act quickly to rail incidents, customers having injuries, etc. You had to contact the proper authorities in a timely manner if some one was injured. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers. We all worked together to get the job done. I'm a people person, I like assisting customers with any problem they may have, however the only customers we assisted were station managers. There were no public contact with this position as I though it would be prior to accepting the position.
Fun workplace
Metro Transit Police Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 27, 2014
Exciting work environment. Great salary and benefits. Advancement opportunities.
MUST BE ON TIME
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 7, 2014
PUBLIC TRANSPORTION IS VERY IMPORTANT ABOUT BEING ON TIME.
great pay and benefits
Bus/Rail Train Operator,Rail Station Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 28, 2014
Pros: pay and beefits
Cons: being low man on the list
This job was great with the exception of having to work in seniority based business. schedule based on your run and better runs come with more time on job so you end up with all the weekends and holidays until you get time in on job
Good and stable career
Metro Transit Police Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 22, 2014
Tri state jurisdiction agency covering Maryland, DC, and Virginia
Plenty of opportunities for advancement
It was my second home
Various positions held (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 16, 2014
Pros: you get to work at the "prestigious" brookings institution
I enjoyed my entire experience at The Brookings Institution.
I had the opportunity to meet some of the most influential people in the world. There would be world leaders visiting on any given day, and to have an opportunity to be in the same room was awesome.I worked with some very educated people who helped me grow as an employee, and as a man. Although I lacked the normal educational requirements for some of the positions that I applied for, I would still apply, and it was that attitude that got me into the Center for Public Policy on Education, as a Meeting Coordinator. There is nothing that I can say that would make me feel like work was hard. I had the luxury to say that I worked there.
WMATA is a good place to get experience and meet different people
Secretary/Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Washington, D. C.July 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: low pay for administrative staff.
WMATA is a good place to work with good benefits.
I have been working at the company for 20 years. The promotional growth for administrative staff isn't good. The grade difference between Administraive staff is wide but the duties are close to the same.
Micromanagement in the NOC
NOC Engineer (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 23, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: micromanagement, unfair shift rotation
Beware working in the NOC. The job itself is not bad, but management is horrible. The turnaround is high due to management focusing more on what time you go to lunch then the quality of work. One senior manager is more invested in getting his staff in trouble for minor details instead of focusing on the quality of work.

The management that reports to the senior manager are terrified of getting written up or fired. I do not recommend working in the NOC unless you like management breathing down your neck
Fast pace environment
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee), Washington DCJune 16, 2014
Good People. Fast pace environment. Multiple layers of management.
Exciting always something new and exciting. Various jobs responsibilities
Admin (Current Employee), 3500 Pennsy Drive, Landover, MD 20785March 13, 2014
Pros: enjoyed meeting new people and taken on new responsibilities
Overall a great job. Enjoyed being able to meet new people and coordinate events and attend meeting to network.
Metro
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 11, 2014
Pros: lunchbreaks
Cons: management
A typical day at Metro is driving public transportation.

Driving you encounter alot of different people from varoius backgrounds.

My Co-workers were easy to get along with
Actually a great for environment. Various cultures and overall decent people.
Auto Body Painter (Former Employee), Bladensburg Rd. Washington D.C.February 3, 2014
Pros: tuition reimbursement
Cons: too short of a break
Like a policeman, coffee and doughnuts, morning meeting, work assignment, then off for completion for that particular day. Some days safety training and catering afterwards. I took management courses, in which I received completion certificates. My coworkers were at time a little stance due to their ages, but generally friendly, and helpful once they were comfortable in their new environment. The hardest part of the job was listening to some managers long drawn out speeches. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing assignments before due dates, thereby giving me time to catch up on passing ASE courses.
Great Training Environment
Consultant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: training, employee benefits (non monetary), exposure
Cons: management, does not encourage or foster growth, too many employees in the same position from eras back hence, threatened, outdated employment/employee practices
A typical day at work was quite busy. This is great because if you keep busy & maintain proof of your work then all is well. As a new employee, fitting into the culture was quite a daunting task as employees with unusually long tenures could make life difficult should they feel threatened.

I gained a lot professionally from taking classes/training and great tuition reimbursement program.

Management, however- not in with modern times... Too many time-consuming extremely unproductive meetings. Metro began using Microsoft Office Suite in- Fall 2009

The age disparity amongst employees is quite interesting. Life is easier if you do not come across as brilliant, forward or one who is passionate about your job. Its like undergoing an initiation process that entails hazing for a Secret Society. Nevertheless, keep personal life far away from your professional life as best as possible. Well its the first place I've ever worked where employees scour to the internet to gather any information regarding any new employee who works through those doors. It was creepy in the beginning but I stayed focused.

The hardest part of the job is that assessment of employees/evaluation is usually not objective. In Management, depending on level, one may feel helpless because the ability to manage effectively is stripped because employees may use the union as a "shield." And a fight with the union definitely takes away from day-to-day operations. Nevertheless, few employees, including Managers & Directors who have worked outside the organization are aware and versed about managing effectively & efficiently – more... in a Union environment. If you are lucky to have a very brilliant Manager or Director (esp. one who is inclined to modern day practices), um, tenure is usually very short. The organizational structure is quite Hierarchal.

Positive Aspects:
Benefits (Non-Monetary), Training, Exposure to City Officials and other organizational chiefs, free transportation..
When one becomes immune to some of the politics and brilliantly shield self from debris (paying attention to actual job functions as well as interaction w/ internal & external customers), problem-solving under limited time-constraints will be a self-rewarding; acquired skill. – less

1 2 3