Washington State Department Of Ecology Employee Reviews in United States

Interesting Learning Experience
Mercury Product Stewardship Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lacey WashingtonDecember 27, 2014
I have been the Ecology Lead for the new LightRecycle Washington recycling program for mercury-containing lights beginning on January 2015. I have learned a lot in working towards getting the program operational and am excited to see this opportunity for the residents of Washington State.
dedicated group of people who love the outdoors.
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WAApril 15, 2012
The culture of Ecology is relaxed dress and intense protection of the environment with emphsis on service to the public. We behave more like a liberal grad school where 15 mins late is the norm.

I write and manage NPDES and State wastewater discharge permits. To be sucessfull, and I am, you need to use your discipline talents or get them pretty quiick. The job is a nice blend of science, newswriter, researcher, and hard nosed negotiator.

The workforce is youthful although there is plenty of grey hair.
Pros
the work hard to keep people from layoffs
Cons
if you do not have an engineering degree, you are doomed to lower pay for the same work.
Supported State Policy
Communication Intern (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAAugust 2, 2012
Management- provided clear company goals

Co-Workers- Balanced, worked on teams to meet timelines, goals, and each person followed through with their contribution to complete a project.

Work/Life Balance- Appropriate and in tact. May be required times to stay after, but it was not the expectation or excessive.
Pros
interaction with a variety of other science professionals
Cons
nothing
if you love the outdoors
Assistant/Environmental Technician/Botanist (Former Employee) –  Lacy, WAJanuary 22, 2014
I loved my time there, I had a supervisor that was 2 years younger then me and had worked in my position the year before so he thought he knew it all
Department of Ecology supports the protection of our environment and sustainability.
Admin Assistant 4 (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 25, 2012
The Department of Ecology offers flexible work hours with some positions being able to telecommute. Ecology supports advancement and provides free training in all areas.

I’ve gained top notch experience in many areas. A typical day utilizes my talents in maintaining confidentiality as principle support to the Department of Ecology’s Manager of the Toxics Cleanup Program. It allowed me to motivate and guide others under my supervision, and provided me with the ability to share my vast knowledge as a Senior Executive Assistant to others of the Agency’s procedures and expectations.

A typical day also involved mastering the ability to plan, schedule, and manage complex calendaring. I anticipated the needs of our manager and quite often prepared correspondence for his signature. I introduced a new filing system and successfully achieved positive results developing a pilot program for special needs staff.

The most difficult task in my position was corralling multiple parties in other State Agencies, local businesses, internal management and private citizens. In short order, I learned to plan, schedule and organize statewide events.

The most satisfying part of my responsibilities was taking on a pilot program that allowed those with both mental and physical challenges to succeed professionally. The gratification of seeing a new-found sense of pride was priceless!