Washington State Department of Health Employee Reviews

A good place to serve the public
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tumwater, WAAugust 22, 2017
People are nice here and I learned a lot about how public is served by state government.

I like the job because work/life balance is good.

Work process is getting improved, but a bit slow sometime.
WA ST Dept. of Health
Health Services Consultant 4 (Current Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJune 13, 2017
Like any other State Employment Agency connected directed to Government! Management is outdated and siloed! Preaches LEAN, Diversity and Inclusion but unaware of how to implement. Transparency is also an issue.
Pros
Cons
Management/Restrictive Environment/Political
I work with a fun group of people
Health Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tumwater, WAMay 9, 2017
I take pride in my job. I work with applicants who seek licensure in Washington as a Marriage and Family Therapist or a Chemical Dependency Professional.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
lack of proper training
Transformational Health Care - Landmark Health
Nurse Advisor and Manager of Statewide program (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 25, 2017
Landmark Health is providing the ability for patients to have access to urgent health care in their homes 24 hours a day and 7 days per week.
My work as a Nurse Case Manager provides the opportunity to support the medical providers who are available to go into our patient homes. I manage patient panels currently for 3 medical providers. The work requires telephonic and commuter based skills to maintain patient visit calendars; care plans; and working within an interdisciplinary team.
Pros
Time to celebrate success
Cons
On call for patients 24 hours at a time while working 40 hour work week
great place to work
Lead Communication Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAMarch 27, 2017
Great people and good environment. Really mission driven and people really care about doing whats right. The only reason I left is that the commute was too long.
Rewarding Work Environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAFebruary 18, 2017
I feel supported and challenged in my day-to-day work. The department provides a positive work environment. The work is team-oriented and enjoyable.
Great balanced place to work
Child Injury Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 27, 2016
WaDOH has been a great experience for me. I have had a great supervisor that allows for autonomy is always quick to describe relevant connections and process for advancement. The benefits are good, the pay is ok but could be better, but the atmosphere at least in my section is a great supportive and encouraging experience where everyone really works as a team and they are all a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Great team atmosphere, flexible schedule
Cons
Pay
The cliche about government jobs is fact, not fiction
COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANT 4 (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJune 10, 2016
Government agencies need to get a bit more modern if they want to attract younger workers. This includes using updated technology, getting less bureaucratic to get decisions made more quickly, and paying better wages.

I'm a bit on the fence about these jobs being unionized too. During your 6 months of probation, the union doesn't represent you at all, but you still have to pay union dues -- where's the logic there?

I've never seen such a lazier group of people at work and nepotism is alive and well here.

If you don't have an MPH degree, expect to be treated like you're lesser than. HR is working hard to change this, but still has a long way to go.
Pros
Great healthcare and retirement benefits, interesting work
Cons
No time off during 6-month probationary period, military-like hours with zero flexibility
very fine tooth comb
customer service (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMay 26, 2016
I enjoyed the job but there is not really anyone to contact when you have questions. Everyone passes you onto the next person.
In need of Management accountability
Project Assistant/Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Tumwater, WANovember 23, 2015
Culture is toxic due to poor management. Not a lot of trust between Management and staff. Management has track record of starting projects and making promises that they can't keep. Often management leaves for new positions before any of their projects come to completion, leaving staff to pick up the pieces.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No accountability from Management
Productive when people want to be
Forms and Records Analyst 2 (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAFebruary 2, 2015
No real training, nobody takes responsibility for their mistakes. I would not recommend working for any state agency.
Great Experience
RESEARCH ASSISTANT/FIELD STAFF INTERVIEWER (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 14, 2014
I was a Research Assistant for a grant funded project at the Department of Health. It was a great experience to be part of even though I was contracted through anther company.
Receptionist
Health Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAFebruary 21, 2014
Managed the receptionist area, including greeting visitors and responding to telephone and in-person requests for information. I like the fast pace of this job. There was always something to do. The bad part was some of the sales staff were not very nice.
Pros
Fast pace
Cons
Didn't pay well, no career advancement
Excellent
Secretary Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAOctober 13, 2013
Duties to include assistant to the Executive Director of the Nursing Commission, supervising, travel ararngements for staff and commission members, payroll, meeting arrangements, minutes, conferences, human resources, licensing nurses
Love the people I worked with. Hardest part of my job was explaining to nurses they do not meet the criteria, when there life depended on being issued a license.
Pros
variety of duties
Cons
non