Washington State Dept. of Transportation Employee Reviews

Good place to work for
Document Control Specialist/Records and Estimates (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98104August 17, 2016
I love working here, I have great friends and have learned a great deal, but to many clicks that needs more supervision. I'm tired of the long commute every day.
Horrible managment
Fiscal Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAJune 24, 2016
The job was easy but the supervisor for this position was very hard to work for. Expectations were too high to reach. Supervisor does not know how to work with anyone smarter than her.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bad Supervisor
Not all it's cracked up to be
Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, North Central RegionFebruary 21, 2016
I worked for North Central Region in Wenatchee for 28 years and found that unless you worked in Engineering you were treated like a nobody. Maintenance workers weren't treated as well as Engineers but better than anyone else.

While I enjoyed the work - the micro-managing and incompetent supervisors, snotty back-stabbing co-workers and rude upper management (that needs to retire) - made the work days miserable. Every day I went to work I dreaded it and just wanted to be left alone to do my job.

Depending on what job you do - you most likely will be very busy. If you can overlook some of the co-workers and almost all upper-management you will be okay. In order to survive here you need to build up a real thick skin. You may also find it is sink-or-swim with very little actual help.

I did appreciate the leave that you can earn over time. I also enjoyed learning different aspects of my job and meeting a lot of different people.
Pros
Healthcare, earning leave, wage, and meeting a lot of people
Cons
Co-workers, upper-management and preferential treatment given to some
Very awesome place, good people, hard working, but well worth it!
Concrete Inspector (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WADecember 8, 2015
I was a temp on the job for around 6 months and really enjoyed working with the people. It was hard work, but I got to meet good people who really cared about you.

I would work for them again if given the chance.
Pros
Awesome people, good ethics!
Cons
Temps are cannot work for very long.
Understaffed and underfunded group of hard workers.
Transportation Electronics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 16, 2015
Coworkers are of true quality. Plenty of technical variety to work with. Unfortunately many days are frustrating as all do more with less while having less to show for it.
This was a great job and I hope someday to become full time.
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Everett, WADecember 29, 2014
A typical day at work was usually always something new and I literally learned new things every single day. I learned several skills here, to this day it was the best job I've ever had. My management here was pretty awesome I always got along with them and they appreciated all my hard work and willingness to learn. My coworkers here were mostly pretty great always willing to help me or teach me anything I wanted to know. The hardest part of this job was working long overnight shifts. And sometimes being in dangerous situations on the highway. The most enjoyable part of this job was learning so many different engineer office and clerical skills. This is the job where I learned the most. The pay was awesome as well.
Pros
Great pay, some benefits for being a temp
Cons
long overnight shifts
Only worked as a summer temp
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WANovember 1, 2013
Typical day consisted of 90% field work on construction sites and 10% office work filing field documents.
good co-workers
Senior Leadership and Management Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  WashingtonSeptember 6, 2013
Management needs to improve, enjoyed coming to work. We made it fun
Fun, stable work environment with great people.
Storm Water Compliance Specialist / NPDES Program (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 17, 2013
A typical day at work for me is spent either in the office or in the field. In the office, I primarily monitor NPDES permit compliance. Using my own tracking system, I compile data, provide projections and contact field personnel. In the field, I conduct inspections of maintenance facilities, review stormwater best management practices and train maintenance personnel.
Everyday I learn something new. I knew nothing of stormwater and when I started I was expected to be the state's maintenance stormwater expert.
I have a great relationship with management and co-workers. I spend a lot of time with boss at the office and in the field and we have a great working relationship. My boss does a great job finding me answers, when needed, while promoting me within and outside the department.
The most enjoyable parts of my job are the co-workers, management and field work. I love to travel and while all my travel is within the state, a day in the field is always better than a day in the office.
Pros
Travel, management, co-workers, provide training, learning something new everyday, job opportunities
Cons
Cafeteria

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington State Dept. of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Washington State Dept. of Transportation Reviews by Location