Washington State Patrol

Washington State Patrol Employer Reviews

Rewarding Career
Sergeant (Current Employee), Spokane, WAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: take home car, no commute time to get to work, opportunity for promotion, variety of different positions.
Cons: pay needs improving, work late nights, weekends and holidays, potentially dangerous job.
The Washington State Patrol is a State Law Enforcement agency. It's Troopers are engaged in law enforcement activities like traffic enforcement, collision investigations, criminal investigations, dignitary protection, aviation, detectives and SWAT to name a few. Another great thing about the WSP is the freedom which comes from the job. Troopers have – more... the ability to transfer to any area of the State to do the job of a trooper. There are many opportunities available to troopers to pursue any of the above mentioned jobs within the agency. It provides great benefits but the pay compared to other agencies within the State of Washington falls well below the 50th percentile. Seems as though there is hope for pay raises in the near future. A great place to call your career and it becomes part of your family, and your identity. – less
Washington State Patrol
Communications Officer (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAMarch 16, 2013
Pros: great benefits package, awesome co-workers, the satisfaction of successfully serving the public and law enforcement, each day is new and exciting.
Cons: little to no breaks or decompression time, high stress environment, constant change in schedule and disruption of sleep patterns, family and outside activities, the job becomes your life.
Controlled chaos.
A continuous learning process. You must keep current with policies, and procedures and there are so many in this agency. You are dealing with the lives of law enforcement, as well as, the public's safety. Therefore you must be able to perform the job at hand quickly and efficiently.
Management provides everything you need in order – more... to succeed.
My co-workers never hesitate to help in any way possible. It is truly
a family.
The most difficult part of the job would be the schedule and the inability to plan outside activities. Our schedules constantly rotate, overtime is often necessary, and to keep abreast with current policies and procedure one must use personal time for study.
What I enjoy the most is that everyday presents its own set of challenges that you must work through. There is ever a dull moment with the State Patrol and I have been proud to serve. – less
Not Fun
Trooper (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAFebruary 22, 2013
Get to work, make several peoples day bad. Clear collisions and arrest drunks.
Great agency to work for overall!
Fingerprint Technician (Current Employee), Olympia, WASeptember 29, 2012
The jobs are secure, the people are nice and the employees are treated with respect.
Criminal Justice Agency
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee), Olympia, WASeptember 17, 2012
The WSP is a professional law enforcement agency made up of dedicated professionals who work hard to improve the quality of life of citizens and prevent the unnecessary loss of life on a daily basis.
Awesome company to work for
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJune 16, 2012
Pros: jeans on fridays
I learned a lot pertaining to law enforcement there as there is always a class being offered to teach you something. I enjoyed the people I worked with and I just loved this job. If I ever moved back to Washington state, I will go back there.
Fun place to work
Secretary Senior (Former Employee), Olympia, WAJune 5, 2012
Pros: fun and family-like feel
Cons: not a lot of promotion potential
I loved working for State Patrol. In the administrative section is not any career growth. One would have to transfer throughout the agency for that. But the workload was sufficient and the leadership was awesome. This agency was like family.