Washington State Patrol Employee Reviews

Very good pay and benefits
VIN Officer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 8, 2015
Good learning experience. Very good pay and benefits. The actual work itself was enjoyable and not very difficult. The culture was difficult due to prejudices and differences in personalities. I learned a lot about how to get along with difficult people and how to do the best job possible even if the conditions were difficult.
Flexible schedule, fun job, good work pace, good pay, easy job
Investigative Aide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver WAJuly 14, 2015
Very flexible job, they can pick me up anywhere or we can meet. I live close, I work with great officers and meet new people. Awesome job oveerall.
Pros
I do actual work maybe a total of 1 hour out of 6 hours, fun co-workers, always different, on edge, always learning, fast and slow paced.
Cons
Can include very long drives in a small car
exciting, unpredictable and at times stressful
Trooper (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 29, 2015
Contacted the public in multiple situations and showed me how to work with a variety of people from different cultures, economic status, races and religions. Enjoyed working with my co-workers and people from different agencies.
Ship without a rudder
trooper (Former Employee) –  WashingtonApril 30, 2015
Once a premier law enforcement agency now only exists on its tradition. The saying at the Washington State Patrol is the day you leave the patrol is they day they leave you. You're a number and a constant liability to them.
Pros
Decent equipment, training varies between mundane to exciting.
Cons
Bars and Stars, (lieutenants and captains) protect each other. Arbitrary and capricious discipline system.
Not like it used to be
Trooper (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WADecember 8, 2014
WSP was a great organization to work for, WAS, great troopers, sergeants. But over the past 6 years it has progressively gotten worse. Command Staff is out of touch with the Troopers and actual line employees. The command staff holds an Us Vs Them mentality with the Troopers and Sergeants. There is a huge emphasis on numbers, the command staff has "goals" which is a PC word for quota. If you are not meeting their "goals" you are punished by not attending training or your part time specialty position. Unfortunately the agency does not value actual police work, but treats the job like a factory job demanding numbers. The command staff facilitated raises for themselves, but the Troopers continue to be well below average in compensation and benefits.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
terrible command staff, low pay
Mismanagement and poor decision making
Manager (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 4, 2014
A lot of office drama, politics, unnecessary spending, and poor decisions being made. I cannot see how this agency will grow because they lack the ability to see the long-term. They also are not willing to take input from lower-level employees.
Pros
union
Cons
too strict, terrible management, and lack of growth opportunities.
Fun place to work
Secretary Senior (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 5, 2012
I loved working for State Patrol. In the administrative section is not any career growth. One would have to transfer throughout the agency for that. But the workload was sufficient and the leadership was awesome. This agency was like family.
Pros
fun and family-like feel
Cons
not a lot of promotion potential
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 4, 2015
Overall, it was a good place to work; however, there are some things I would change. The pay could have been higher.

Certain managers were good to work for.
Cons
Pay
Awesome company to work for
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 16, 2012
I learned a lot pertaining to law enforcement there as there is always a class being offered to teach you something. I enjoyed the people I worked with and I just loved this job. If I ever moved back to Washington state, I will go back there.
Pros
jeans on fridays
Criminal Justice Agency
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 17, 2012
The WSP is a professional law enforcement agency made up of dedicated professionals who work hard to improve the quality of life of citizens and prevent the unnecessary loss of life on a daily basis.
Rewarding Career
Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 12, 2014
The Washington State Patrol is a State Law Enforcement agency. It's Troopers are engaged in law enforcement activities like traffic enforcement, collision investigations, criminal investigations, dignitary protection, aviation, detectives and SWAT to name a few. Another great thing about the WSP is the freedom which comes from the job. Troopers have the ability to transfer to any area of the State to do the job of a trooper. There are many opportunities available to troopers to pursue any of the above mentioned jobs within the agency. It provides great benefits but the pay compared to other agencies within the State of Washington falls well below the 50th percentile. Seems as though there is hope for pay raises in the near future. A great place to call your career and it becomes part of your family, and your identity.
Pros
take home car, no commute time to get to work, opportunity for promotion, variety of different positions.
Cons
pay needs improving, work late nights, weekends and holidays, potentially dangerous job.
ticket factory
Trooper (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJanuary 5, 2015
There are no quotas at WSP just "APA Goals" you are granted officer discretion, but they want you writing tickets. A very numbers oriented agency. Any criminal interdiction or collision investigation at night have very little meaning to the agency, they want DUI arrests, Speeding tickets and seatbelt tickets, even if it means ignoring other aspects of productive Law Enforcement. 99% of troopers are great people, the command staff on the other hand is a joke, they are disconnected to the field force and are in their position for personal or political gain. The WSP is not afraid to throw someone under the bus deserved or not, to make the agency "Appear" better in the media. WSP is not a well paid agency. A lot of troopers are leaving for departments with better pay that have respect and care about for their people. Even when this gets brought to command staffs attention, The Chief's standard response is "thats the first i have heard of this, i will look into it" and the next district visit, if it gets brought up again same answer. Bottom line, avoid WSP go county or local for LE jobs.
Pros
take home car, good co-workers
Cons
pay, benefits, command staff is terrible
Great agency to work for overall!
Fingerprint Technician (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 29, 2012
The jobs are secure, the people are nice and the employees are treated with respect.
Not Fun
Trooper (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 22, 2013
Get to work, make several peoples day bad. Clear collisions and arrest drunks.
Washington State Patrol
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 16, 2013
Controlled chaos.
A continuous learning process. You must keep current with policies, and procedures and there are so many in this agency. You are dealing with the lives of law enforcement, as well as, the public's safety. Therefore you must be able to perform the job at hand quickly and efficiently.
Management provides everything you need in order to succeed.
My co-workers never hesitate to help in any way possible. It is truly
a family.
The most difficult part of the job would be the schedule and the inability to plan outside activities. Our schedules constantly rotate, overtime is often necessary, and to keep abreast with current policies and procedure one must use personal time for study.
What I enjoy the most is that everyday presents its own set of challenges that you must work through. There is ever a dull moment with the State Patrol and I have been proud to serve.
Pros
great benefits package, awesome co-workers, the satisfaction of successfully serving the public and law enforcement, each day is new and exciting.
Cons
little to no breaks or decompression time, high stress environment, constant change in schedule and disruption of sleep patterns, family and outside activities, the job becomes your life.
CompaƱerismo
Analizador de Datos y Registros 3 (Former Employee) –  Washington,March 2, 2016
Un sitio muy a gusto donde trabajar. Un dia tipico seria, encender el ordenador, organizar el correo, contestar a las cartas. Leer los email. Archivar.
La parte mas dificil mover fue las cajas pesadas llenas de documentos.
En general, todo lo que hacia en este trabajo me gustaba
Pros
buen ambiente
Cons
seguro medico privado

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington State Patrol. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9