Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission Employee Reviews in United States

Security, but lack of growth and/or advancement opportunities
Mgmt Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDMarch 22, 2016
The people are a plus; it's a great team of workers with immense potential. A great place to work if you are seeking security only. If you are looking for a place to grow; however, it leaves much to be desired. It's not uncommon to find folk in the same positions for decades, and happy to be there. The benefits are decent, and the compensation is okay.

New leadership has arrived and the future looks bright...it's a good time to come on board.
Pros
New leadership, decent benefits, good people
Cons
Little to no room for growth and/or advancement
not bad as long as you dont work at piscataway wwtp
Facilities Technician (Current Employee) –  Accokeek, MDMarch 3, 2016
ive been lied to from managment everyday the plant superintendent makes up a new rule and there is no reward for hard work there is actually incentive to be lazy!!!!
Pros
easy job you can be very lazy if thats your thing (not mine)
Cons
no incentive to work hard or reward for hard work
It was a dream job as far as working with the employees
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 19, 2015
When I first was hired I thought I was actually in nurse heaven. There was really nothing in place so it was a blank slate except for poorly written policies and of course the DOT, OSHA and other Federal regulations that the industry had to (begrudgingly) follow. So I rolled up my sleeves and got to work, going out into the field where the actual workers were, something the previous nurse didn't do to often, and did classes on health matters that not only were impacting the guys and gals getting their CDL cards, but their lives as well. They were watching peers retiring young, only to die months later of cancer, or strokes. They all had family members with either diabetes or cardiovascular disease and saw the ravages those diseases cause, so I went about just giving little impromptu classes, encouraging the folks to come by my office to get their blood pressures checked, or letting me review their latest lab work with them, was available when they called with personal or family issues and tried to refer them to the correct resources. It truly was just wonderful.

but.....
The organization is a quasi-government agency, thus it has used that position to do some of the most corrupt things you can imagine. The number of lawsuits filed against the Commission by both current and past employees is unbelievable. If rate payers knew how much money the WSSC spent paying out to settle employee claims (mostly due to horrible management actions) I do believe they would be more than a little angry. I think I will just leave it at that.
Pros
wonderful workforce. great freedom to develop and implement teaching programs
Cons
incompetent and corrupt management.
Great
Jr. Financial Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 4, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers, but how you personally grew and develop. Very enjoyable.
Your Last Stop Before Retirement
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MarylandAugust 26, 2015
A typical quasi-government, bi-county organization where most of the people in the working with you are either related or friends or have become best friends over the course of their 20+ years of working at the same place.
Pros
Stable industry, Great Benefits
Cons
Country club atmosphere, Slow to initiate new ideas
Archiac practices, old policies, poor management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 25, 2015
Exempt employees are treated like non exempt employees. No teleworking or flexibility. They do not promote high employee moral and don't focus on retention.
Pros
Job Security
Great company with great people
Public Affairs Intern (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDJune 29, 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience working at the commission. The biggest benefit is all the extremely helpful co-workers willing to assist whenever needed. Not usually typical of government regulated companies, WSSC is open to new innovative ideas to help improve operations.
A Good Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  LaurelMay 29, 2015
A great place to work, where you know that what you do day in and day out has a impact on the community. Typical day in my department is answering emails, phone calls and interacting with the community. Review site and plumbing plans for adherence to specifications.
Great benefits and compensation
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDFebruary 24, 2015
Great benefits and compensation, stagnant work environment with little upward mobility, outdated technical systems and strained relations between the various departments
Pros
location
Cons
poor employee morale
GIS Developer/Analyst
GIS Developer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2014
• Provided JavaScript/Silverlight/.Net/Mobile GIS application development for online mapping applications.
• Developed and improved on organizational websites using HTML, CSS, JavaScript and other web development software.
• Quality assurance & quality control of GIS data
• Converted .dwg and shapefiles for GIS compatibility.
• ArcGIS 10.2 analysis and water/sewer services, assets, facility planning & management.
• Administration and maintenance of ArcGIS Cloud applications.
• Reason for leaving – Seeking more long-term position or contract.
Productive and fun people - mostly very busy
BUYER III - ACQUISITION CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDApril 3, 2014
Very busy, a lot of paper work. We still have fun working to meet very strict deadlines on various contracts and projects.
Worse Place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  every depotAugust 12, 2013
If you are looking for a place to work and gain experience, turn away from there. Co-workers are terrible Managers have no respect for one another especially those in the field offices. Poor Management over all Bad culture habit Selfish Contract managers
Pros
people love you in their face
Cons
discrimination against you inside them. they tear you down if you do know more than them
nice place to work
Sr.FIS.Support Appl Dev (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 7, 2013
Managers are friendly,
co-workers are good,
no pressure
they send you for training.
Very energetic
Forman (Former Employee) –  marylandJune 27, 2013
Everyday I went in it was a loving environment. We drank coffee to start off our day and had a daily morning meeting about the objectives and goals for the day ahead.

I learned customer servie, How to work with different people, how to read a measuring tape. My co workers helped me with everything. The hardest part of the job was not to run out of time. The job was so fun and involved that you wanted more time to learn more. It was almost like you couldnt wait to start wor the next day.

The most enjoyable part of working here was that I could see myself working there forever! It was definately more than a job , more like a career where all of your friends work and grow with you.
I enjoyed working in my own dept.
Machine Operator/Bindery (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJune 3, 2013
My experience at WSSC was rewarding and I advanced myself in 21 years. I was in charge of the entire print shop.
Pros
was able to learn and get trained on various equipment
Cons
needed upgrade and help with work
Good Place not so good Management....
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDApril 22, 2013
The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission is decent place to work. It takes some getting used to though. While it is quasi-government, it still has a bit of a private sector feel. From what I gather the morale as dimenished tremendously over last few years and it is quire evident.

There are definitely some great folks that work here though. You may find a few life long friends.
Productive and fun work place
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 28, 2012
On a typical day at work my co-workers and I get a couple route by our supervisors usually a curb box lift job or a water main break. I've learned a lot in the short moment I've been in Maintenance, such as where water lines usually run off the street into someones home or business also how to use a back hole to dig up dirt and cement that maybe over the water lines were trying to find. I have great supervisors that gives my co-workers and I space to work instead of breathing down our backs. My job is very demanding no time for play play, I must admit the hardest part of my job is getting knee high in the water during the winter very hard to deal with, there are perks on my job, when it rains its like a day off its against regulations for us to be out working in the rain.
Pros
when it rains we dont work
Cons
on call everyday
Incompetent and suppression
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 18, 2012
WSSC is riddled with cronyism and corruption. If you want to be effective this is not the place to work, but if you can smile and brown nose then you will survive. Just grin and nod and smile.
Worst Place to Work
Customer Care Agent I (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MdMarch 1, 2012
There was never a chance to grow. To many Indians trying to be chiefs. The standards for employees are terrible.
Cons
terrible management, no room for growth