Washoe County School District

Washoe County School District Employer Reviews

Work at an after school program and manage to get the children to their destination to snacks, recess, academic tutoring, and enrichment activities.
Teacher Assistant - Grace Warner Elementary School (Current Employee), Reno, NVJuly 21, 2014
Everyday we set up the tables, garbage, snacks, and take attendance for the after school program. After fifteen minutes of snacks the children gets a fifteen minute recess. Then we guide each grade of students to their academic tutoring and we either help the teachers or manage to help parents at the cafeteria area. When academic tutoring is done after – more... an hour, we have enrichment hour of fun activities. Each day will be different like, computers, outside activities, art, board games, science experiments, and etc. Finally, the last thirty minutes the children will have dinner and during that time the parents pick up their kids.
Having patients is the key to success when dealing with about 40 to 60 children. Getting to know the children and being understandable helps to relate to their situations. Managing the program could be hard at times, however we make it through and work together as a team. Communication is the most important part when working with co-workers and handling many kids. It's fun working at an after school program cause everyday is different, sometimes it will be easy or difficult and love to make a positive difference to each children. – less
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee), Reno, NVJuly 14, 2014
Good company to work for, with good people and good benefits.
I had a lot of support and the job allowed one to learn and progress.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Reno, NVJuly 1, 2014
There were many different tasks at hand, which provided a great all-around experience.
Enjoyable
Custodian (Current Employee), Reno, NVMay 5, 2014
Every day is busy, learned how to replace faucet stems, and toilet stems. My coworkers are great. Enjoy going to work every day.
Fun place to work. Specially because I worked with kids most of the time.
Nutrition Worker (Former Employee), Reno, NevadaMarch 9, 2014
Everyday I enjoyed being around kids. I learned so much every single day. My manager was very understanding when I needed a day off for doctor appointment or any personal time, as far as I requested with time. She also was very patience to train me.
Fun working with kids.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Reno, NVFebruary 25, 2014
Typical duties included, tutoring and working with students individually. Assisted teachers with daily planning and lectures. supervised students at all times during lunch and recess times. Read to students and helped with students struggling with math. Spoke with parents about students progress, or explained to parents about their student that had – more... any problems struggling. Management was very very kind. I would consider this my favorite job. – less
Wonderful and caring place to work with and educate children.
Education Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Reno, NVFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: meeting wonderful educators and teaching children life-long skills.
Cons: no healthcare, part-time employment only.
I learned people skills and patience working not only with children, but my fellow co-workers, as well, whom were not as tech-savvy as myself.
Great kids, and great families! The lifestyle in Reno provides lots of outdoor recreation!
Resource Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Reno, NVJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: outdoor recreation
Cons: payschedule low, innovation missing
Fast-paced, fully inclusive school environment for students with learning disabilities. Seeing kids learn to read and progress is always satisfying abd rewarding.
My tenure with the WCSD has been positive.
Teacher on Special Assignment/Consulting Teacher (Current Employee), Reno, NVOctober 17, 2013
Pros: i enjoy my current position.
Cons: i would like to return to the classroom where religious education is included in the curriculum.
A typical day at work is flexible. I visit 5-8 teachers per day at their respective schools. I mentor General and Special Education Teachers teaching Early Childhood to High School aged children.
My duties include, but are not limited to:
Observing teachers in the classroom and offering feedback.
Modeling lessons.
Writing lesson plans.
Writing IEP's.
Writing – more... behavior plans.
Arranging and accompanying novice teachers on visits to veteran teachers.
Videotaping teachers and facilitating a reflection session.
Assisting novices in writing their long-term goals and short-term objectives.
Assisting teachers in meeting the expectations of their Administrators through the evaluation process.
Collaborating with Administrators.
Collaborating with various departments withing the WCSD.
Maintaining a confidential relationship with my mentees. – less
Excellent leader - excellent staff
Education Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Reno, NVSeptember 30, 2013
I would of never left if my family had not moved. Great place to become your best!
General Fund jobs are typically cradle to grave
Employee (Former Employee), Reno, NVAugust 26, 2013
Pros: new superintendent and benefits
Cons: chief officers, directors, middle management are good 'ol boys and bullies
Management is made up of good 'ol boys and bullies. Women are not respected as professionals in general. There are exceptions, but are few and far between.

They don't challenge you, do not require furthering your education, do not need much education to get in just have to know someone and other than giving up some salary every few years, which you – more... do get back eventually, not an awful place to work -- as long as you want to do the same thing year after year after year after year...

Disappointing that they care more about their jobs and salaries than the teachers and the students. – less
Productive, Fun, and Sociable place to work
Student Cafeteria Worker - Food Preparation (Former Employee), Sparks, NVAugust 19, 2013
Pros: early lunch, first food choice
Cons: no breaks, no benefits, short hours
Starting out with Ice Cups (filling 60-80 cups with ice for drinks)
Then checking the list of duties Wrap apple, Pour sauces, Make toast, etc.
I leaned a lot about my health and what types of foods can help it, learned how to use a juice machine, how to use an ice maker, how to use cafeteria ovens and appliances.
the Manager was very nice, but when – more... it came down to business she didn't let anything go wrong.
The co-workers were very nice and friendly, and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was covering somebody else's duties when didn't show up.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the manager, the employees, and serving the customers. – less
A job filled with variety
Teacher, Grades K-12 (Former Employee), Reno, NVAugust 16, 2013
Working on different teams from day to day, with different groups of children. The administrators at Washoe were helpful and consistent. Most days were 6-7 hours long. Changing company and environment daily taught me to become a better teacher and more adaptable personality. I found the most difficult part o the job to be always challenging myself to – more... do my best. What I enjoyed most was when I felt a connection and joy from the students. – less
As a substitute for WCSD, I am unable to give a rating for benefits, advancement, or work/life balance. I do enjoy substituting for the district.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Reno, NVAugust 11, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: last minute changes
I arrive at least a half hour before school starts, and review the teachers instructions. I then look for the materials I'll need and get oriented to the classroom. I often put duck tape on the students desks so they can write their names, and I can learn them faster.

The hardest part of the job was classroom management, yet I've learned a great deal – more... about it. The most enjoyable part was watching the children interact with each other, and when they understand a
concept they've been struggling with. – less
Positive place for kids.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Reno, NVAugust 5, 2013
The people there are friend trying to make the most of the time and resources they have to educate children.
Friendly, professional atmosphere with advancement opportunities.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Reno, NVJune 28, 2013
Pros: free lunch and other employee perks.
Cons: short breaks.
Seek a productive, challenging workplace to help people as needed on a daily basis. Friendly atmosphere and professional co-workers. Customer-service oriented.
WCSD is a great place to work for.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Reno, NVMay 29, 2013
All around, WCSD is a great employer. WCSD is managed very well. I have learned much more about education because of their
continuing education classes and test for teachers. Co-workers are
usually very kind and highly intelligent. Most enjoyable part of WCSD is the fellow staff and students.
Nutrition worker 1
Nutrition Worker (Former Employee), Reno, NVMarch 29, 2013
It was a good place to work, but you only work 2 to 3 hours a day... and the district is hard to get insurance
Educators and staff are treated like children
Math and Science Teacher (Current Employee), WCSDMarch 16, 2013
Pros: like yourself, working with professionally dedicated teachers.
Cons: unprofessional environment, long hours and very low pay.
As a secondary math and science teacher I have had the honor of working with some of the best professional educators in the business. Before becoming a teacher I worked in organizational leadership development. My experience has been that WCSD employs administrators based on social connections rather than leadership ability. The great work of many professional – more... teachers is often impeded by fumbling administrators with backgrounds in home economics or physical education who can't read a data sheet or use proper syntax. Dedicated teachers work 50-60 hrs a week, yet receive ridicule and admonishment for not being able to move a students scores in 8th grade who has a 2nd grade reading ability. I love teaching math and science, and became a teacher and took a 50% pay cut to be part of the solution. I think the solution is to leave teaching and go back to a grateful career where I'm treated like an adult. – less
poor...back biting environment
Fuel island attendant (Former Employee), Sparks NVFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: the people i worked with in the garage.
Cons: poor management
I worked at the Sparks bus yard. Management doesn't care about you as a person you just a number. Management will listen to your concerns but that's as far as it will go unless you do something wrong then they are quick to action. From top to bottom poor management. They are always worried about losing their jobs so we got the brunt of that. No pay – more... raise in the last 4 years and with the school budget none in the future. If you choose to work here get your CDL AND GET OUT OR move to one of their other bus yards to avoid the politics. Management looks out for themselves if your caught stilling time you will be fired but if management does it it gets swept under the rug. Proven. Manager caught dead to rights taking a half hour to an hour a day for at least a year....nothing. Dispatcher did the same thing fired with 17 + years of service. No pension no nothing. They talk about seniority based....not. They only use it when it suits them. I hope the other departments in the school district are better. But this department...not good – less