Washoe County School District Employee Reviews

Teacher assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 10, 2018
Great place to work with children with supportive staff and rewarding challenges. Enjoyable work environment while working on a school schedule to allow vacation time.
fun place to work
transportation aide (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVFebruary 4, 2018
you get to travel around your city and see new things each day. I got to work with special needs kids which is super rewarding and a-lot of fun! lots of training and competitions.
Pros
siesta in the middle of the day
Cons
split shift
Great career opertunity
Site Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 4, 2018
Great place for someone with family or long term employment.

Family Medical insurance and paid sick leave is a great benefit for those with families or thinking of starting one.

11 paid holidays, 15 paid sick leave and 15 - 20 paid vacation days per year allow more time with family. some positions are 9 month per year.
Pros
Great Bennifits
Long hours and lack of appreciation
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 1, 2018
Hours were long, especially if you're a new teacher. Expect to work at least 12 hour days your first year. You will be placed in an insurmountable learning curve, especially if you teach special education your first year. I'm not saying anything bad about the children. There were some that were difficult to work with, but most were humble and willing to learn. It was the staff that was difficult to work with because of the stigma toward special education and special ed. teachers. Most of my job was paperwork and jumping through hoops for other people: principal, other teachers, parents, and students. The thing I did enjoy about this job was working with small groups of students.
Pros
Working with small groups of students
Cons
Negative vibes, stigma being a special education teacher
Too many "bosses"
Fleet Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVDecember 26, 2017
Budgetary constraints lead to short-cuts, which I greatly disagreed with. Workplace culture: Management did not hear my concerns. Hardest part of job: Not being able to maintain buses as they should be maintained. Enjoyable part of the job: Using my innovative abilities to do as much as possible with less.
Pros
Basic 8 to 5
Cons
Conflicts with short-cuts the entity took
Fun yet stressful workplace.
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 18, 2017
Typical day of work included case management of kids and managing of IEP's. I learned a great deal about myself, as well as the ways of the Special Education world. Workplace culture was great, lots of collaborative effort, and help to go around.
Substitute Teacher
Licensed Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 10, 2017
Enjoyed my time as a Substitute Teacher. The District is thoroughly underfunded. There are enough children in portable classroom to fill approx 4 schools. Interaction with other staff was always positive.
Teacher Aide & Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVDecember 7, 2017
Love the school district and working with children. It's my passion and love but the fact that I wasn't sure if my job would be changing because they didn't want to pay full time benefits was sad.
Pros
Fun
Cons
No benefits
Excellent job for gaining experience
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Reno-Sparks Indian Colony, NVNovember 24, 2017
Substitute teaching is an excellent way to gain teaching teaching experience. It provides an opportunity to test out teaching strategies and classroom management techniques. Often, students do not treat substitute teachers with a great amount of respect and this is the most unfortunate part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with students and with helping them learn.
Pros
School environment, teaching students
Cons
Potential sub disrespect
Great Immediate Managers/Principals Lack of higher Administration
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 24, 2017
WCSD has incredible teachers and principals but lacks organization and upper management county wise.
Schools, teachers, and principals lack support while high ranking officials are overpaid.
My job is not just a job. I cannot think of a better vocation.
Classroom Teacher, Grade 3 (Current Employee) –  Hunsberger ES, Reno, NVNovember 19, 2017
My typical day at work begins at 7:00 - 7:15 am, although my contracted hours are 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. I usually leave work between 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm. I spend many "at home" hours planning lessons and completing all other aspects of the profession. My experience as an administrator and district-wide consulting teacher (mentor) as well has serving as a lead teacher for college Interns has provided me with many opportunities for increasing and "fine-tuning" my skills.
I take advantage of attending seminars and taking classes that will improve my performance, therefore, I am considered "highly effective".

Time management is of the utmost importance, therefore, I plan not only my work duties, but my personal time.

My workplace culture is generally positive, although, many teachers are feeling "stressed" with the requirements of the profession. We are in our second year of writing formal Student Learning Objectives that is now part of our evaluation. Hours were spent developing them, and many of us would like to simply "teach". If you are an effective teacher and do what is best for kids, you will plan for differentiation, formal and informal assessments, and meeting the Nevada Academic Content Core Standards.

Parents are very involved at our school, therefore, my communication with them is daily and/or weekly. I have a positive relationship with my parents.

The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting new teachers, and watching my students grow in their social/emotional and educational endeavors.
Pros
I love my job and the people I work with.
Cons
I have none.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Reno SparksNovember 16, 2017
I was just a substitute teacher so I was able to be flexible with what days/hours I worked and also the location. It was great to sub for all different grades from K-12. The pay was good for each day. The only downfall is how much money WCSD sucks from you in order to apply. You have to pay for every little thing & it starts adding up to a few hundred dollars which would be fine one time but if you try to apply again you have to pay the money all over again for little things they should be able to keep in their system.
Pros
Flexible, good pay, different environments
Cons
how students treat a sub teacher, not having a job for the day
Excellent district
District Administrator (Student Services) (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 2, 2017
There are not any concerns associated with this employer. They are supportive, dedicated to quality, and embrace/foster internal growth. Hours worked ranged from 40-55 hrs per week. Hardest part of the job is balancing family and work.
Fun got to help children with their school work, i got to help with life lessons
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 30, 2017
If it paid a better wage I would still be a substitute teacher. I would have kept going through school to become a full time teacher. It was a great learning experience and I would go back if substitute teachers received health benefits and the wage was better.
Pros
Worked with all sorts of childrem
Substitute teacher summary
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 17, 2017
Working with elementary school kids was always interesting, albeit a twinge high strung. You would get blasted by noise and have to establish where you fit into the whole pecking order of things. Once that was worked out, it was easy enough to just follow lesson plans and stick to a script as needed.

If you were lucky, you'd get good enough lesson plans to follow so you could actually teach something; at worst you generally just handed out busy work and tried to look interested. Either way, you'd field questions from the kids and be accountable to the time, ensuring that you were providing information in a timely fashion.
great job for working moms
Elementary and Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 11, 2017
Working for the school district is a great job for parents of school aged children because the hours and vacation times coordinate nicely. It is rewarding.
Passion for education doesn't outweigh the state of it in this country
High School English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 29, 2017
The national opinion and treatment of the education system hampers most any ability to succeed, much less thrive in the field. Having a lackluster administration (at the county level, at least) is simply another nail in the coffin.
Teaching Life
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 27, 2017
• Managing data, students work and grades.
• Counseling parents in different areas to help their child.
• Nurturing students to grow and be good citizens.
• Maintaining records, relationships, and lessons throughout the year.
• Communication leader for Math and Science at my site for four years.
• A member of Leadership Team for three years.
• Coordinate and leader of Parent-Teacher Home Visits for three years
I loved working with students and teachers. The fast pace was fantastic. It was hard work and long hours when school was in session.
Pros
Time off and student interactions
Cons
Testings and principals
For the Love of the job.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 21, 2017
The most thankful part about teaching are the students that light up when they learn something new, the parents that appreciate all that you do and fellow teachers that truly are compassionate about teaching and collaborating with their peers.
Pros
Following the dream of watching my child succeed.
Cons
Very low pay, minimum financial backup for providing all necessary materials for children to learn, extremely long hours for special ed teachers.
Engaging environment with students and staff
SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 9, 2017
Helping students, collaborating with staff, and family engagement make this job rewarding on every level. This organization provides ongoing trainings and professional development in order to help staff improve their skills. I would recommend this school district to anyone who loves working with students.
Pros
challenging and engaging environment
Cons
limited work advancement with an SLP credential