Washoe County School District Employee Reviews

Volunteer: Washoe School District
Classroom Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVApril 21, 2017
This volunteer work differs from day to day because I do different things based on the type of classroom I am in, or if I am at an event outside of school hours.

I really did not meet any management, except for the principle.

The workplace culture was great. Most of the teachers talked great with each other, and they all helped when needed. The office staff was helpful as well. I always feel welcome when I walk into the school. I do have to say that I only volunteer at one school here because of all my other obligations.

This job is so rewarding that I cannot not find a hard part. I get to spend time with so many different kids in K-6, that I am constantly learning new things. I even got to volunteer with the SIP; Social Intervention Program. This class had students that may have had a disability such as a mental, physical, or behavioral issue. I loved every minute of being in that class, that is where my heart is.
Pros
Flexible, great work environment, pleasant co-workers
Computer teacher - tough, but rewarding.
Education Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 12, 2017
I was the computer teacher at an elementary school. It was a 27 hour a week job. The good kids and the good classes made it all worth it. The hardest part was the disciplining of the classes with behavior issues. Kids see computer class as a chance to get away from their teacher and goof off, which makes being the computer teacher a bit of a challenge.
Pros
Some of the kids are truly amazing
Cons
Some of the kids are a lot to handle
Promotes employee's with sponsored training; good retirement program
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 5, 2017
I worked for over 19 years for Washoe County School District and had the privilege to advance from within and train new custodians with some hiring. I was able to work for 3 years on a mobile maintenance cleaning crew and learned some supervisory skills from this. From the time I started working with this employer, was working for the goal to retire and prior to doing this I stepped down in housekeeping to perform general non-supervisory skills and do basic cleaning and maintenance for 8-months. I had a wonderful privilege to work under someone who was more responsible to delegate and supervise me as a regular custodian.
Pros
Hiring pay increase, accrue sick and vacation leave hours, offers health benefits, retirement benefits, step raises, environmental training, promotes careers from within current employee's, provides employee's union
Cons
only allowed 1/2 hour lunches with 2 15 minute breaks
Teaching is not for me.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 12, 2017
Far too much is expected of public school teachers. I am looking to get out of this profession because of the ridiculous amount of time required to do this job well. I got there early, worked through lunch, stayed late, worked on weekends, and still couldn't do the job well enough. I tip my cap to the people who can teach well and have a life. I never figured out how to balance the two.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Great Job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 8, 2017
I love working a substitute. It is on my schedule. I love working with children and I learn new things everyday. Everyone I work with is so nice and friendly.
Fun but demanding
Team Up Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 7, 2017
Setting up tables for kids, grade k-6. Give snack, have homework time, assist during all periods, clean up messes, supervise out side. Assist teachers with curriculum, remind kids of behavior/ dealt with write ups. Taught hour of enrichment. Give dinner, Release to known parents/pick up.
Very productive and fulfilling and was very flexible with my shudule and having kids in school
Lunchroom Attendant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 3, 2017
Going to work was very exciting and fun always learned something new everyday and I enjoyed being the kids and serving them everyday with a healthy balanced lunch .
Pros
Getting to be with the kids everyday and interacting with the parents
Cons
I really don't have any
Deciated professional striving to provide a quality education to today's youth
Elementary and ESL school teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 2, 2017
Deciated professional striving to provide a quality education to today's youth. Was a great experience and one I will always cherish working with the teachers and staff, and sharing the classroom with the students
Nice place to work
Teacher Aide III (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 28, 2017
I was able to learn a great deal. I was assisted by the staff and the administration. I think I benefited from working at this place. I would recommend it to others.
Awful place to work especially admin
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pine middle schoolDecember 16, 2016
Been teaching in the district for 14 years. Had one school year with an amazing supportive administration at SSHS. The other 13 years were a joke ..lots of bullying and gossip and intimidation among some teachers and almost all of admin..( bulling is not just happpening with the students) If you can join our district and change things for our students, please help.. if you are going to only contribute to the disturbing education of Reno Nevada, please don't. Our principal at Pine once was giving a presentation on "Cultural Awareness. Mr. B started out his speech on cultural awareness by intending to help teachers become aware of the various cultures we serve. Completely unaware of showing his racist self, Mr B began his cultural awareness speech with .. " I would have brought an African-American person to make this presentation, but I couldn't find one that wasn't in Prison". I will be leaving the district in search of a better education for my children and a better community ..
Pros
If you lay low and don't fight for students education you can get tenure
Cons
incompdent Administration
Somewhat stressful work experience.
OTR/L (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 16, 2016
Most therapists, including myself were assigned 4-6 schools which was somewhat stressful. School district is very large and covers many outlying schools, making for some long travel days. Some schools had difficulty finding a suitable space for the OT therapy to take place. Management was changed several times during my 4 year employment making it difficult to feel supported as they, too were required to wear many hats! Some excellent OT therapists however, that were very knowledgeable and supportive.
Exciting and fun experience
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 15, 2016
I love it! The experience was extremely gratifying, i cant vouch for this career enough, everything about the position is perfect!!
Pros
Gratifying
Cons
Everything is perfect!
Overall atmosphere was very stressful
SPED Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 18, 2016
I worked in the district for 8 years & policies were changed arbitrarily & without notice for classified personnel. I would not consider going back to work there.
Pros
Met some nice people over the years
Cons
Too much data seeking which caused stress. It was not fun to go to work.
Best job I have ever had
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 28, 2016
Great people to work with. working with the children and watching them grow and learn is amazing. Having a positive attitude and wiling to learn yourself with help you become better.
Enjoyable not paid well
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV 89512July 11, 2016
I was a substitute teacher for many years. An upside was I worked when, where, and what grade I wanted. The biggest downside was the pay. This year they have finally decided to make it worth a subs time and effort.
Decent benifits horrible management
Teacher (Current Employee) –  4th grade teacherJune 7, 2016
Co workers were all fantastic. Management is what drove me away. Constantly talking behind your back and giving no support. Enjoyed the work schedule and having summers off.
Pros
Benifits, schedule
Cons
Management, lack of support, extra work from government
School kitchen work is limited in scope, yet rewarding because of the kids
Kitchen Manager/Worker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 24, 2016
Stable job with improving management. Great to work hours and days with school system because I have my own kids.

Hard to find more hours in the school kitchen system.

Learned kitchen manangement, kept my computer skills up.

Hard to have only one co-worker when differences come up.
Pros
Good part-time work
Cons
Difficult to advance
Best Experience
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVMarch 23, 2016
This job has really given me insight into what being a teacher is like and I am so glad that I have chosen this profession for the rest of my life!
Loved the kids
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 26, 2016
I enjoy working with all the students. This company has a great medical plan and holiday pay.The split shift and not full time is difficult.
Easy Schedule
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with the after school program and the Supervisors were nice and helpful. The program was helpful to a lot of families and to be a part of it was a great opportunity.
Pros
Working with Children
Cons
only part time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washoe County School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Washoe County School District Reviews by Location