Washtenaw Community College Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with a a lot of energy
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 30, 2015
The boss is terrific, the staff is knowledgeable. It can be a bit pretentious at times, yet the job was focused on the people.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
capped salary
The people make the job a pleasure
Contract Administrator & Purchasing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Budget, Purchasing, and Auxiliary ServicesSeptember 13, 2015
It is a pleasure to work with and for people from all walks of life that are interested in improving their lives and the lives of those around them. Overall, the management does not hesitate to encourage and promote initiative and drive in employees.The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people (executives, managers, staff, and students) find viable solutions and compromises that work for all parties involved. The red tape and politics are currently having an adverse affect on employee moral. As more and more people resign or retire, the workflow for experienced staff has become overwhelming as we try to juggle the training needs of newly hired personnel and our existing job duties.
Pros
Excellent benefits package with an abundance of time off
Cons
Taking longer and longer work hours to get the work done
Student Trained
Internship (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 24, 2015
I did not work for Washtenaw Community College, I was a student and studied video there. I was well trained in filming, editing and production planning.
Love teaching there
Part Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 22, 2015
A great place to teach, love the students and faculty I have met. Wish they had the opportunity for full time employment in LifeLong Learning.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
No benefits for part time faculty
Wide range of ethnic groups represented in the workplace. Family type of environment.
Computer Commons Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 12, 2015
•Assisted students with software and hardware issues
•Facilitated policy and procedures, monitored lab, and re-stocked when needed
•Utilized customer service skills and supported staff as needed
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers
Cons
No benefits, part time work only, little chance for advancement.
Creative and learing
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 5, 2015
What I like the most about my current job is that it gives me the opportunity to learn and be creative. I would check in with my supervisor and instructors to ask her what their needs are for the week. I would set up and break down all labs, maintaining medical supply inventory, assist with RN's, access to Lippincott Docu Care, maintain organization, run high fidelity simulators, and low fidelity simulators. My co-workers were amazing. My most enjoyable part of the job is helping the students achieve their dreams, and watching them grow.
Pros
Creative enviroment
Cons
No benefits
Proactive work place
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMay 26, 2015
A fun and rewarding job where I helped budding entrepreneurs using research and prior knowledge to help them along the path to owning a business.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Off the main campus
Creative people to work with
VIDEO LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 18, 2015
Working as a lab tech at WCC was a very good experience because the equipment managers and other techs are all people who crave new and creative ways to create media and exchange ideas.
Productive and very satisfying
Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 13, 2015
I would help students with basic Microsoft words or database applications. I learned a lot about helping others and how to be motivated. Management was awesome and very helpful. Students that were good at what they do. When you have a problem and you can not solve it without talking to your supervisor first. Hearing students responses and listening to how they would do things differently.
Pros
work balance life/ school
Cons
price foods
Loved it!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 23, 2015
I loved it even though it was a Temp position I appreciated the time I got to put in. Everyone was treated fairly and things ran very smoothly for the most part.
typical day at work
Financial Aid Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 10, 2015
Assisting students with enrollment into college and answering FA questions. Great working environment and flexibility with schedule and work life balance.
Energetic work place
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborMarch 8, 2015
The hardest part about this job is dealing with inter-office politics. I learned how to manage juggling several different task and how to accurately designate which tasks were more pressing then others.
Pros
good company
Cons
no benefits
Great job for a student.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann arbor, MIJanuary 15, 2015
 Greeting students in person and over the phone.  Maintaining an organized and up-to-date front counter with various information sheets.  Explaining the admission process for a variety of US visa holders.  Scheduling appointments with the counselor or referring students to appropriate resource.
fun coworkers and relaxed environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborNovember 27, 2014
I enjoyed my time working here for the auto service department. Schedules are set before the semester starts and they will work around other obligations (work, school, etc.) Working here feels like you're part of a family.
Pros
good work environment
Lots of freedom and flexibility
Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 24, 2014
Although teaching at WCC doesn't pay as well as teaching at a secondary school, WCC makes up for it with curriculum freedom and the flexibility to create your own schedule. It is also nice not having to deal with the parents or be overly concerned about educational politics. You get to teach what you love and how you want to teach it.
Pros
great department leadership, flexible teaching scheduling, great learning support for students
Cons
without adjunct status, part-time faculty can only teach a maximum of 8 credit hours.
Great mission; no clear future direction
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 25, 2014
great place to work but lot of obstacles to achieving job goals.
Good experience to know about how to lead a team
Lead team (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 20, 2014
Although it was just a small group project in a conversation class, it still help me a lot to know how to lead a team. In my opinion, the most important thing to lead a team is know every group members well. So you can help them to work together and when something happened, you can also find the best way for everyone to solve it.
Great Place to work
Automotive Lab Tech/ Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 15, 2014
A typical day at work here usually includes, making sure the shop is in order. Making sure vehicles are prepped for the classes. Maintaining shop vehicles example checking fluids, tires, making sure everything is put together properly. Also I work in the tool crib. I order parts, hand out tools students will need, keep inventory. I have learned a lot form working here. I also took the program to become an certified mechanic. The management is great, I never have any problems with them. My co workers are friendly and very helpful when needed. The most difficult part of this job is trying to get everything done in one day. There is so much to do. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am able to help the students when they are learning.
Pros
great environment, people
Cons
no benefits, and only a 20 hr a week position.
Telementor
TeleMentor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 22, 2014
We telementor and helped 8th grade students learn about College
Helping students reach their full potential
Manager of Student Accounting (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 23, 2014
Great higher education organization. The Student Accounting Division of WCC is a busy place helping the students understand their account information, payment deadlines, and how to enter payment plans.

4.4