Waste Connections, Inc Employee Reviews

great place to work
Operations Analyst / Trainer (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAMay 15, 2012
Work 8 hours a day, 7am to 4pm most of the time. It's busy and productive which is great. I learned a lot about excel and mapping, training. In terms of management, I learn a lot about the company structure, and how to communicate with other people in those structure. Coworkers are friendly and nice. The most enjoyable part of the job is waking up every morning knowing that you will meet nice coworker in the office.
Pros
some free lunches, fridge to put your food.
Cons
short breaks
Junior Driver taking over my route. Favoritism in the company
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Kodiak AlaskaJuly 21, 2015
It's a big company but the one over in Kodiak Alaska where there is a small crew, you get lucky if you're a close friend to a manager otherwise you step aside and do the low end job among the crews.
Pros
Good benefits and schedules.
A Great Place To Work
Dispatcher, Office Manager, Route Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SdDecember 14, 2012
Management philosophy that values workers and provides merit based opportunity for advancement. Values driven with clear, practical vision and great leadership. Recommend this company to anyone.
benefits
Great Executive team that wants and means the best for their employees
District/General Manager (Former Employee) –  Various CitiesDecember 3, 2013
Political struggles with co-workers at the local levels prevents the dream of servant leadership taking full effect.
Pros
The people
Cons
Micro managing by direct supervisor
CSR (Current Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJune 30, 2015
I love this job. If i were not moving back to California i would stay forever if i could. The management is great, my co workers and i all work very well as a team.
Pros
Great team to work with
Never had so much fun working on a landfill!!
Office Manager / Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Lincoln CaApril 12, 2012
This was a Fantastic Experience!! I loved my position here as the Office Manager. My day consisted of several diverse projects! Great Company!
Work Hard - Play Hard
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NebraskaNovember 22, 2014
One of the last large decentralized companies. All are guided by the Corporate Operating Principals, other decisions and policies are yours to make.
Job Security but difficult work
Laborer/Load Checker (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 6, 2012
This company has Job Security, decent benefits but some of the managment is in need of training in the field of managment.
Not the best palce to work
n/a (Former Employee) –  CAMarch 6, 2014
Benefits not so great, pay either. Company has slim margins, so the benefits and pay suffer.
A "Cut-Throat" Company
Assistant District Manager - Brent Run Landfill (Former Employee) –  Montrose, MINovember 3, 2012
I worked as a landfill manager for 5 years working my way up after college. I moved all over the US for Waste Connections in order to help develop myself into a great manager and leader. Everything was going very well. I had a great rapport with my superiors. I was in it for the long haul. I was completely convinced that I was going to grow old with this company. I was offered a second promotion and moved for the 4th time in my 5 year tenure with them. One my 6 month anniversary, I was suddenly and unexpectedly terminated by my manager and regional VP. I apparently "wasn't what they were looking for in a WCI leader". The funny thing is that they offered me a severance package to "keep my mouth shut and not give them any grief".
One day everything is going well, and the next, I am thrown to the curb like a piece of trash. All this after sacrificing day in and out for them, with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife, in a strange place that they moved me to where I do not know anyone.
That's as cold as it gets, I don't care how you look at it. Corporate mentality at it's finest.
I looked up to those guys. The saddest part of it all is that I actually thought I wanted to be like them.
I am not saying that they are a bad company, they just have a few crooked managers that they think can do no wrong. Sometimes they can't see the forest for the trees.
Applicants beware. Don't put all your eggs in one basket... they could be crushed and left for you to pick up the pieces just like me.
Pros
mostly decentralized and not dictative
Cons
a few crooked managers who are hungry to advance and cut-throat.
A "Cut-Throat" Company
Scale Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OklahomaSeptember 21, 2015
I was hired to be weight scale clerk right before my 3 month period was up was fired - not what they were looking for nothing else but a hand shake.

1) You get one time shown how to do something the first month- rule one memorize and do not ask questions.

2) No training. Their is two sides to the landfill one side is run by a women (no name) who has been there 7 years, she appears to be nice but she really is not. She is suppose to train you but she does not, example a Lady from Rd -no name 2 called in on my second day and put a complaint in against me when asked what did I do wrong... she says you did nothing she does that to everyone..but then yet my manger calls me in asks me why she put in a complaint, I explained -no name says she did that to everyone...he did not care...what was it for she said she waited a half hour in line...

2) Tooty calls- they do not tell you that these are a fire-able offense when hired they said its used as a training tool - first month you don't answer phones- the second month you do I got 4 tooty calls - one which I should not have done but since no training I thought I would try....got 74-79 was told great job....the one I should not have done got a 32....got called into office and told if they do not improve I would be fired...(training is hand you 4 scripts figure it out) memorize....Got a tooty call last week did the right script but since I did the one I should not have previous month they gave me a horrible review no name said she was fixing it and appealing it but ya....

3) Hazard Waste trucks- called dirt trucks.......very
  more... hazardous to health no name gets moved into a circulated clean air room ....you lol you bet ,,,nothing suck it up cup cake! 50 Trucks per day on these...so I started using cashier gloves...ya got in trouble for that and I asked for a mask if they did not get the dirt mixture to where it was non hazardous...next thing I know I get pulled into the office and he was like I want to know why your wearing gloves? I also got a complaint that you were wearing a mask! I told him I have not worn a mask I asked for one..I told him they were cashier gloves and he lectured me on that should be the only reason i am wearing them....FYI the trucks cause diarrhea and headaches and makes your eyes burn and it gets all over you I dont know how they work in it, if it was bad in the office your like wait the one one person gets a clean room and you get in trouble for protecting yourself when they did not even offer you a mask...ya......

4) I loved this job, just did not get the proper training, nor any proper notifications of any wrong doings or any help to improve.

Be wary think of it this way the one lady that I was replacing was stealing she was a temp also was reported by RD,, the one before that was awesome ----been there 5 years --was told they were going to fire her because of tooty calls, she quit because of the hazardous waste trucks was making her sick.....and was also reported by the same lady at RD...there is a pattern here .....

I hope who ever gets this job has better luck and as the Landfill truck manager says ...you must be pretty and really flirtatious you are the face of the company...ya you guessed it I am none of those.. I felt like saying then why did you hire a older lady that has proper manners and just ok looks? But then get complemented on how awesome I am with the customers....the guy that runs the landfill side is nuts,,,,he runs the landfill side but does not know how to enter tickets ...he waited about a week ago to see about covering you for lunch ...he was like well the other two girls that were here worked it out to relive each other....umm the dirt trucks were not running at the time....and no name cant be around the dirt trucks...hence the clean air room you built her.....ok enough venting I hope this gives you all a better idea on what it is like to work there.....this is just a few things to warn you about .....very disappointing in how this company is being run this was my dream job!
Pros
Safety Day free lunch
Cons
You may or may not get a lunch / Long Hours 7:30 -4:30/ Hazardous Waste Trucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Connections, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Waste Connections, Inc Reviews by Location