Waste Connections, Inc Employee Reviews

same thing each day
Customer Service Supervisor/Operations Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lacombe LA 70445December 12, 2017
I come in and I do the same steps every morning, Go Thru my emails , print emails , print trash cart deliver tickets and other tickets I may need for my day . I also start to patch the payments that come in the lock box from the night before. help with walk in customers, some times the hardest part of my day is dealing with very mean customers, the best part of mt day is spending it with my co- workers after 9 years you become like family
Pros
great benefits
Cons
cut back with over time
Poor Management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAOctober 27, 2017
This is a terrible place to work. There is so much pressure to be perfect here. No mistakes are allowed. The stress is unbelievable. You have to do so many steps for what should be the simplest task. Office manager plays favorites. There are cliques. It's unwelcoming. The pressure is intense. They don't care what the CSR's think, they just add more and more stress to their jobs. Everything is their fault. The computer system is slow and inadequate. Most of the customers are rude. You get reprimanded for being 1 minute late and other minor infractions. It was a hostile work environment.. One of the CSR's was incredibly rude to co-workers & customers alike & he got away with it. Stay away from this company.
Pros
Free trash service, great benefits
Cons
Stressful, horrible management, expectation of perfection
Productive and fun place to work
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Kilgore, TXOctober 10, 2017
Productive and fun place to work. Wonderful co-workers and management team. The work culture is always on the cutting edge and makes the work environment pleasant.
God
Lead Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  TxSeptember 5, 2017
Plenty hours lots of work work work and more work. Plenty to do
Work on everything. Plenty of work lots to do. Work plenty of overtime. Lots of good people and trucks to work on
Very hard labor job
Waste Management (Current Employee) –  Angleton, TXSeptember 2, 2017
Never get lunch , workers don't help each other out , don't offer pto , and doesn't compensate for lost hrs due to catastrophes, not enough pay for work that you do
Hard work and not a lot of stability
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Lily, KYAugust 22, 2017
Long hours and hard work. Made some good friend while working there for seventeen years. Management was so so, could do a better job at being fair with all employees.
Nice workplace
Driver (Current Employee) –  Diamond Springs, CA 95619August 14, 2017
I work for Waste Connections in Placerville California they were great to work with they took care of their drivers and made sure everybody was taking care of happy and our customers Waste Connections in Missouri is a little bit different I applied for 10 different jobs and it's either they won't give me a job because I'm a woman or it's because they're unsecured that I can't do the job when I've worked for Waste Connections in the past for almost 9 years in California
Pros
Healthcare was good
Cons
Waste Connections in Placerville California
Always work to do. Never dull. Mostly great people to work with.
Driver Trainer Safety & Compliance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 7, 2017
The waste industry is very competitive and margins can be difficult. But WCN does their very best to get the bottom line up by being the safest in the industry. That is attained by employing the right people and empowering them to do the right thing at the right time for the right reasons.
Pros
Never the same thing day after day. Great people.
Cons
Waste industry can be stressful at times.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Townsend, WAJune 28, 2017
For the most part the company on the Olympic Peninsula are trying to become a "Big City" service area, while there are new customers coming onto the Peninsula adding more work for the company will not hire anymore CSR's to help with the phone or the ones they have do not answer phones, Mostly in that matter its a double standard, the favored employees get time to do their work, where as the non favored do all the phone calls and the daily work with no breaks from the phones.
Pros
free garbage service for employees
Cons
little town operation trying to be ran like a big city.
great place to work!
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 27, 2017
A lot of room for advancement, great corporation with small business feel. CEO makes frequent stops at all locations and is well known throughout the company.
I do not wanna do these
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXJanuary 16, 2017
• Prepared reports and complex correspondence paperwork
• Scheduled legal visits for state and government agencies
• Maintained records and files for classification, count room, and offender records staff
• Processed cases and report writing
• Entered offender demographic information and other files
• Provided case management experience to offender’s assigned caseload
Pros
hello
A "Cut-Throat" Company
Scale Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OklahomaSeptember 21, 2015
I was hired to be weight scale clerk right before my 3 month period was up was fired - not what they were looking for nothing else but a hand shake.

1) You get one time shown how to do something the first month- rule one memorize and do not ask questions.

2) No training. Their is two sides to the landfill one side is run by a women (no name) who has been there 7 years, she appears to be nice but she really is not. She is suppose to train you but she does not, example a Lady from Rd -no name 2 called in on my second day and put a complaint in against me when asked what did I do wrong... she says you did nothing she does that to everyone..but then yet my manger calls me in asks me why she put in a complaint, I explained -no name says she did that to everyone...he did not care...what was it for she said she waited a half hour in line...

2) Tooty calls- they do not tell you that these are a fire-able offense when hired they said its used as a training tool - first month you don't answer phones- the second month you do I got 4 tooty calls - one which I should not have done but since no training I thought I would try....got 74-79 was told great job....the one I should not have done got a 32....got called into office and told if they do not improve I would be fired...(training is hand you 4 scripts figure it out) memorize....Got a tooty call last week did the right script but since I did the one I should not have previous month they gave me a horrible review no name said she was fixing it and appealing it but ya....

3) Hazard Waste trucks- called dirt trucks.......very
  more... hazardous to health no name gets moved into a circulated clean air room ....you lol you bet ,,,nothing suck it up cup cake! 50 Trucks per day on these...so I started using cashier gloves...ya got in trouble for that and I asked for a mask if they did not get the dirt mixture to where it was non hazardous...next thing I know I get pulled into the office and he was like I want to know why your wearing gloves? I also got a complaint that you were wearing a mask! I told him I have not worn a mask I asked for one..I told him they were cashier gloves and he lectured me on that should be the only reason i am wearing them....FYI the trucks cause diarrhea and headaches and makes your eyes burn and it gets all over you I dont know how they work in it, if it was bad in the office your like wait the one one person gets a clean room and you get in trouble for protecting yourself when they did not even offer you a mask...ya......

4) I loved this job, just did not get the proper training, nor any proper notifications of any wrong doings or any help to improve.

Be wary think of it this way the one lady that I was replacing was stealing she was a temp also was reported by RD,, the one before that was awesome ----been there 5 years --was told they were going to fire her because of tooty calls, she quit because of the hazardous waste trucks was making her sick.....and was also reported by the same lady at RD...there is a pattern here .....

I hope who ever gets this job has better luck and as the Landfill truck manager says ...you must be pretty and really flirtatious you are the face of the company...ya you guessed it I am none of those.. I felt like saying then why did you hire a older lady that has proper manners and just ok looks? But then get complemented on how awesome I am with the customers....the guy that runs the landfill side is nuts,,,,he runs the landfill side but does not know how to enter tickets ...he waited about a week ago to see about covering you for lunch ...he was like well the other two girls that were here worked it out to relive each other....umm the dirt trucks were not running at the time....and no name cant be around the dirt trucks...hence the clean air room you built her.....ok enough venting I hope this gives you all a better idea on what it is like to work there.....this is just a few things to warn you about .....very disappointing in how this company is being run this was my dream job!
Pros
Safety Day free lunch
Cons
You may or may not get a lunch / Long Hours 7:30 -4:30/ Hazardous Waste Trucks
Junior Driver taking over my route. Favoritism in the company
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Kodiak AlaskaJuly 21, 2015
It's a big company but the one over in Kodiak Alaska where there is a small crew, you get lucky if you're a close friend to a manager otherwise you step aside and do the low end job among the crews.
Pros
Good benefits and schedules.
CSR (Current Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJune 30, 2015
I love this job. If i were not moving back to California i would stay forever if i could. The management is great, my co workers and i all work very well as a team.
Pros
Great team to work with
Work Hard - Play Hard
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NebraskaNovember 22, 2014
One of the last large decentralized companies. All are guided by the Corporate Operating Principals, other decisions and policies are yours to make.
Not the best palce to work
n/a (Former Employee) –  CAMarch 6, 2014
Benefits not so great, pay either. Company has slim margins, so the benefits and pay suffer.
Great Executive team that wants and means the best for their employees
District/General Manager (Former Employee) –  Various CitiesDecember 3, 2013
Political struggles with co-workers at the local levels prevents the dream of servant leadership taking full effect.
Pros
The people
Cons
Micro managing by direct supervisor
A Great Place To Work
Dispatcher, Office Manager, Route Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SdDecember 14, 2012
Management philosophy that values workers and provides merit based opportunity for advancement. Values driven with clear, practical vision and great leadership. Recommend this company to anyone.
benefits
A "Cut-Throat" Company
Assistant District Manager - Brent Run Landfill (Former Employee) –  Montrose, MINovember 3, 2012
I worked as a landfill manager for 5 years working my way up after college. I moved all over the US for Waste Connections in order to help develop myself into a great manager and leader. Everything was going very well. I had a great rapport with my superiors. I was in it for the long haul. I was completely convinced that I was going to grow old with this company. I was offered a second promotion and moved for the 4th time in my 5 year tenure with them. One my 6 month anniversary, I was suddenly and unexpectedly terminated by my manager and regional VP. I apparently "wasn't what they were looking for in a WCI leader". The funny thing is that they offered me a severance package to "keep my mouth shut and not give them any grief".
One day everything is going well, and the next, I am thrown to the curb like a piece of trash. All this after sacrificing day in and out for them, with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife, in a strange place that they moved me to where I do not know anyone.
That's as cold as it gets, I don't care how you look at it. Corporate mentality at it's finest.
I looked up to those guys. The saddest part of it all is that I actually thought I wanted to be like them.
I am not saying that they are a bad company, they just have a few crooked managers that they think can do no wrong. Sometimes they can't see the forest for the trees.
Applicants beware. Don't put all your eggs in one basket... they could be crushed and left for you to pick up the pieces just like me.
Pros
mostly decentralized and not dictative
Cons
a few crooked managers who are hungry to advance and cut-throat.
Job Security but difficult work
Laborer/Load Checker (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 6, 2012
This company has Job Security, decent benefits but some of the managment is in need of training in the field of managment.