Waste Connections, Inc Employee Reviews

Junior Driver taking over my route. Favoritism in the company
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Kodiak AlaskaJuly 21, 2015
It's a big company but the one over in Kodiak Alaska where there is a small crew, you get lucky if you're a close friend to a manager otherwise you step aside and do the low end job among the crews.
Pros
Good benefits and schedules.
CSR (Current Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJune 30, 2015
I love this job. If i were not moving back to California i would stay forever if i could. The management is great, my co workers and i all work very well as a team.
Pros
Great team to work with
Work Hard - Play Hard
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NebraskaNovember 22, 2014
One of the last large decentralized companies. All are guided by the Corporate Operating Principals, other decisions and policies are yours to make.
Not the best palce to work
n/a (Former Employee) –  CAMarch 6, 2014
Benefits not so great, pay either. Company has slim margins, so the benefits and pay suffer.
Great Executive team that wants and means the best for their employees
District/General Manager (Former Employee) –  Various CitiesDecember 3, 2013
Political struggles with co-workers at the local levels prevents the dream of servant leadership taking full effect.
Pros
the people
Cons
micro managing by direct supervisor
A Great Place To Work
Dispatcher, Office Manager, Route Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SdDecember 14, 2012
Management philosophy that values workers and provides merit based opportunity for advancement. Values driven with clear, practical vision and great leadership. Recommend this company to anyone.
benefits
A "Cut-Throat" Company
Assistant District Manager - Brent Run Landfill (Former Employee) –  Montrose, MINovember 3, 2012
I worked as a landfill manager for 5 years working my way up after college. I moved all over the US for Waste Connections in order to help develop myself into a great manager and leader. Everything was going very well. I had a great rapport with my superiors. I was in it for the long haul. I was completely convinced that I was going to grow old with this company. I was offered a second promotion and moved for the 4th time in my 5 year tenure with them. One my 6 month anniversary, I was suddenly and unexpectedly terminated by my manager and regional VP. I apparently "wasn't what they were looking for in a WCI leader". The funny thing is that they offered me a severance package to "keep my mouth shut and not give them any grief".
One day everything is going well, and the next, I am thrown to the curb like a piece of trash. All this after sacrificing day in and out for them, with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife, in a strange place that they moved me to where I do not know anyone.
That's as cold as it gets, I don't care how you look at it. Corporate mentality at it's finest.
I looked up to those guys. The saddest part of it all is that I actually thought I wanted to be like them.
I am not saying that they are a bad company, they just have a few crooked managers that they think can do no wrong. Sometimes they can't see the forest for the trees.
Applicants beware. Don't put all your eggs in one basket... they could be crushed and left for you to pick up the pieces just like me.
Pros
mostly decentralized and not dictative
Cons
a few crooked managers who are hungry to advance and cut-throat.
Job Security but difficult work
Laborer/Load Checker (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 6, 2012
This company has Job Security, decent benefits but some of the managment is in need of training in the field of managment.
great place to work
Operations Analyst / Trainer (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAMay 15, 2012
Work 8 hours a day, 7am to 4pm most of the time. It's busy and productive which is great. I learned a lot about excel and mapping, training. In terms of management, I learn a lot about the company structure, and how to communicate with other people in those structure. Coworkers are friendly and nice. The most enjoyable part of the job is waking up every morning knowing that you will meet nice coworker in the office.
Pros
some free lunches, fridge to put your food.
Cons
short breaks
Never had so much fun working on a landfill!!
Office Manager / Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Lincoln CaApril 12, 2012
This was a Fantastic Experience!! I loved my position here as the Office Manager. My day consisted of several diverse projects! Great Company!