Waste Connections Employee Reviews

Unique Values-Based, Servant Leadership Culture where Employees are Empowered
Manager (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Waste Connections is an amazing company! Employees are empowered to operate freely, leaders are servant leaders who truly care about their employees, executives are visionary leaders who have high integrity and achieve unparalleled results. The company feels like a family but functions like a high performing sports team. Employees are held accountable for results not processes—it’s more about what we accomplish and less about how it’s done. The company’s core values of Safety, Integrity, Customer Service, Great Place to Work, and Premier Waste Services Company guide every decision. If you want to work for a company that will empower you to be successful and allow you to run your business your way, Waste Connections is it!
Pros
Servant Leadership, Empowerment, Work Hard/Play Harder
Cons
Held accountable for results, Get results or get cut from the team (no slackers allowed--not really a con)
Newer employee
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 12, 2016
I have only been with the company a few months and there have been a lot of changes but overall everyone is trying to work through things and push the company in a positive direction. There are a lot of challenges which is great and the executives are fantastic to work for; open door policy, easy to talk to, etc.
Pros
Challenging, great executives
Cons
Too many people get involved with things that they don't need to
Ok workplace
Front Load Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COSeptember 11, 2016
not really a lot of room for growth and management is not strong, equipment is not updated or progressive I do like starting early in the morning and getting done mid day your are always over the DOT hour threshold.
Pros
sign on bouns
Cons
everything
Productive, fast pace, dirty
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 30, 2016
You can't have a weak stomach working here. You have to be able to multitask. If you work hard and excel more than other workers you can possibly be (but most likely won't) moved up and absolutely no raises management is poor and will do whatever necessary to get their bonus at the end of the year.
Benefits
Cons
Hourly pay, maintenance, management
great place to work
Lead Laborer (Current Employee) –  Graham, WAAugust 24, 2016
great place to work, great people and room to grow. Your supervisors are their to suport you. lots of room to grow from within. work well with public.
poor management
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 17, 2016
Poor communication from management in regards to start times and safety meetings. Work long hours, 13 days on before a day off and shifts were 12 hours. Start times were any where from 6pm to 8pm.
Pros
Company provided cold weather gear, benefits, paid vacation every 6 months
Cons
poor communication between management and employees, 12 hour shifts with 13 days in a row before a day off
This place was great until a certain supervisor got hired on.
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYAugust 11, 2016
I used to love this place and then I got screwed out of 10k a year by getting scammed onto a different route(was on prevailing wage, was promised shorter days and better hours vs going in at 2 am also promised a bunch of help pay which wasnt possible because the new routes were too big) I called corporate, rocked the boat and was terminated under the guise of voluntarily resignation. Im currently fighting with them for unemployment.
Pros
pay was great after 4 years I finally had a good truck
Cons
Middle management made this place into their playground.
Dont do it
Operator (Former Employee) –  Erie, COAugust 9, 2016
Out of the 7 operating jobs ive had in 25 years this is the worst. Just like all the reviews. Terrible management. Bad equipment. Terrible pay. 10 cent raise anually. And bottom poff the line benefits. Domt waste your time. The management is the main reason i left. Its terrible from the top down. Complete 2 face
Pros
Job security of you can handle it
Cons
poor management
Fun workplace
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Placerville, CAJuly 30, 2016
I been with this company for 10yrs and i love my job! Everyday is a different experience ... i enjoy meeting customers and be able to offer the best customer service so the customer leaves with a smile! Thats the best part for me ...
The day goes by fast, its always busy.
Of course it has a bad side like every other job, it can be stressful and at times u get customers yelling at u. Also everyone is pretty much stable so not much room to grow for a higher position.

We work as a team.. manager has been great ... and i hope to be part of this team for many more years!
Pros
Good benefits, pay is good
Cons
Awful place to work, unless you lie
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJuly 24, 2016
If your an successful liar.. you will do great. They do not want you to tell people the truth. And then when that person calls back in, it's left to someone else to fix it. Supervisor do not have your back
Pros
None.
Cons
Alot!
good place to work if you like boring jobs and bad management
Driver Trainee (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 21, 2016
boring, robotic, monotonous, and management doesnt have any idea what they are doing. they just want to please the people above them. dont care how they screw the people below them.
Productive good attitude good safe environment
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Brookings, ORJuly 21, 2016
GReat Place to work and grow into many careers and other oppertunitys, great family oreanted all around, and they took good care of their employees and employees family needs.
Pros
insurance, meals at safety meetings
Cons
sometimes the weather lol
Long hours, horrible management.
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 28, 2016
WCI as a whole is a great place to work. On a corporate level they support their philosophy as a "servant leader" organization. However, the districts in North Carolina fall very short in their support. Upper management set unattainable goals and fail to provide the necessary tools and training to effectively perform duties. As a member of leadership you will be expected to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week, even while taking approved vacation days. Pay would be fair, if the hours outlined in offer letter were even close to accurate. 50 hours a week will be advertised for a salaried employee. 75 to 85 hours a week is the normal. I have worked in multiple districts for WCI. Nc districts have by far been the worst. Management lack of people skills have caused a turn over rate that says it all. Skilled, talented, dependable employees will not stay if they are being ignored and being made to feel unappreciated and their turnover rate reflects this particular failure.
Pros
Co workers were dedicated and hard working
Cons
Lack of integrity, long hours, no work/home life balance
Want employees who live too work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 22, 2016
Worked at this co. over 25 yrs.Last 6 under WCI. 60 hrs. a week Won't provide enough manpower to get work done.Micromanage every facet.Don't trust any of their employees.Just the opposite of the previous owners.Most of my co-workers have worked here over 20 yrs,all are re-tiring as soon as they can.Corporation is all that matters.WCI has ruined what once was one of the premiere solid waste haulers in the state.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Management, long hours
RUN!!!! HORRIBLE work environment!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clallam County, WAJune 21, 2016
This company is a JOKE!! I quit after less than a year of H*LL!!! They presented the position as a great opportunity to work for a Fortune 500 company when in reality the office was located in a converted, rotting, doublewide-trailer with dead animals (rodents) decomposing in the air ducts. I would not recommend working for this company to anyone!!
What I Learned
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 10, 2016
I learned a lot of valuable skills working for Waste Connections such as welding, body work, and engine repair. The Maintenance Manager was great about showing me how to make a repair so that I could do it on my own the next time.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long work hours
Dont take a job at Lake Shore Disposal mccall idaho
Employee (Current Employee) –  McCall, IDJune 8, 2016
This is the most poorly ran management I've ever seen nor been associated with the manager couldn't even manage his own hat if it was in his hands. Paul needs to learn respect of his crew not just the corporate office
Pros
NONE
Cons
Evrydsy coming to work
Nice place to work without the extras
Front End Loader Driver (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 7, 2016
Waste Connections as a whole is a good place to work for and I did learn some valuable information while being there. The flow of the day was by far one of the best schedules I had because it allowed me to be home with my family on a nightly basis
Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 6, 2016
A call center with very high turn over. Constantly recruiting and replacing status. Low wage and poor hours. Grind the workers and replace.
Productive and wonderful place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAJune 3, 2016
A typical work day would be checking my manifest for pick-ups of recycle to see if residents has paid account or if account is delinquent. Inspect my truck to make sure its operating at full potential speed. Make sure I have all the necessary paper work and maps to ensure I am heading in the right direction.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
N/A

2.6