Waste Connections Employee Reviews

Cut-throat
Accountant 1 (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLMay 13, 2017
Stressful job. They require us to complete job duties without overtime and tell us we are to slow at our jobs. I would not recommend working here to a friend.
Pros
Free lunches at least once a month. Good insurance
Cons
Eight hour days to complete ten hours of work.
They fire you for actually exercising good customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCMay 10, 2017
I was hired on at this place last summer for about a week as a temp. The position was supposed to be permanent but they canned me, one of the department supervisors (a woman who I only saw when she came to collect another supervisor for one of their "regular" smoke breaks throughout the day. The whole place was a mess. They expected us to lie to customers about why trash wasn't collected or why their service hadn't started at their new residence. Just a terrible place to work. Management needs a complete overhaul. Everybody needs to be fired and then start over.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management is terrible.
Loved it
site manager (Former Employee) –  Kilgore, TXMay 8, 2017
Very good, very fair company.
The drive culture everyday. Financials are rarely reviewed. Projections are must, but never look back, keep driving business forward
Chicago Waste connections
Commercial Driver (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, IlMay 6, 2017
We just got bought out in Chicago,Seems like we are the only union shop WC has. I'm sure they don't like it. Here we make $33.72 an HR & $50.58 on OT. We just got our 3rd cameras installed & but it has its advantages. Otherwise we haven't had any issues "So far". We are union so it's a plus & the union decides if our work rules are fair otherwise they can not be enforced "Benefit Union". To all the other states from Mechanics, Drivers, transfer station & loaders & so on I would suggest calling your local union hall & get unionized because it gets you better pay, benefits " Medical, Dental, Vision & retirement. Good luck to you all!!!
Pros
We are union $115K plus a year
Cons
It's a hard job but it pays well
Long days and completely unappreciated and not valued
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ramsey, MNApril 25, 2017
Work life balance there was awful. Often 12-14 hour days with no relief. Huge turnover rate so always short on drivers. Little to no recognition for all the hard work.
It was a very nasty job
Waste Management (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMApril 12, 2017
It was a very different experience, but I still managed to work‚Äčthere the disturbing things. I seen some very interesting things at that job. I wouldn't mind working there again.
Pros
Long breaks, friendly people
Cons
Messy job
Good benefits and team work
Waste Management (Current Employee) –  Lehigh Acres, FLMarch 29, 2017
I'm really pleased with the good team work between me and my co-workers. Also, the company offers really good benefits. I only wish they would change the Chinese time.
Pros
Good benefits, team work, and meeting new friendly customers
Cons
Not paid fairly, and chinese time.
They have very productive work days .
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 21, 2017
Their are a great garbage company to work for abt their very supportive. Their truck are good working trucks and the workers are fun and great helpers.
Horrible pay and vacation
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMarch 17, 2017
Management claims to care but if you voice concerns or disagree with them then you might as well start looking for a new job. There are some great people, but the few managers who think it is their way or the highway ruin the culture. You can get paid far better else where to do the same job and the benefits and time off policies are pathetic.
Pros
Casual work environment
Cons
Pay, vacation, upper management
Only ignorant "yes men" get paid decent
driver (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 13, 2017
Typical day pick up 1000 homes,make 2 trips to the landfill while the company snitch,butt kissers have easy routes and same or more pay.If you clock inat 5am,plan on clocking out at 4pm at the earliest.Required to pick up couches,and other heavy furniture items on routes and put them in a front load truck.When the truck is damaged because of this,the management blames the drivers.The pay is not determined on merit or seniority.It is based on how much you pretend you are happy in the mornings when you walk in and your willingness to snitch on other employess and if you a dummy who votes no on a union vote you are gold to them for a while.If you work for these guys,I suggest you contact a UNION.
Pros
alone during the day, perfect company to UNIONIZE
Cons
pay scale, working hours in the heat, stupidity
Not a good permanent position
solid waste collection driver (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 9, 2017
The company itself is very wonderful however the individual casper location is not very good to work at due to small district there is no room for advancement the manager simply put is a snake in the grass who coddles certain employees says one thing yet proves otherwise I do not recommend working for this place unless management and mechanics are replaced
Pros
stable work
Cons
manager
Diesle tech
Lube tech (Former Employee) –  Pueblo coMarch 8, 2017
Was a good place but to meany back and it's always one person's fault no one else's. Some of the people like drivers where cool but had poor shop management.
Trucks are also old and run down they don't want to spend the money to fix them. They just wait till they get approved for new trucks.
Pros
Some people are nice. Learned a little about hydralics. Main boss of the office was really nice.
Cons
Managment and shop leads are poor quality. Not enuf time to do projects. Needed more training, insted of being thrown in to a mess.
Sorry place to wirk dumb managerz
Worker (Former Employee) –  El Campo, TXFebruary 25, 2017
Sorry place to work, getting paid 8.50 helper to work hard labor, the managers are dumb as a rock and only do audits OK once every couple months which everyone knows when they are. The helpers smoke weed drink behind the trucks this is by far the worst job ever, the drivers were the best ppl around except for the ones dat have been their for a while think their Foreman's. Best advice stay away they have cameras alot rules like they pay alot nk jib security ignorant non educared managers..
Pros
None see helpers dig and find goods worthore then their pay.
Cons
Pay, managers, raggedy equipment, absurd rules.
Eh
Corporate Employee (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXFebruary 14, 2017
There is a lot of hype about the company and how great they are but if you don't play by their rules...game's over. The field positions and people are awesome...corporate needs some work.
Pros
Field folks are great, travel time if you like that
Cons
No room for error, no benefit of the doubt
Was a great place to work
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2017
I've never quit a job. I've only ever quit managers. Life was good with the previous District managers but then we got a guy from progressive waste and he ruined the culture
A bad place to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Red Bluff, CAFebruary 4, 2017
Lets start off by, you do three jobs for one salary. One is being a driver. Two, is manual very hard labor. Three, is customer service. And let me tell you, customers are very demanding. Who would think, its only garbage. Not only is it customer service, its all about exceeding customers expectations. Trucks are older than dinosaurs. Not everyone is treated the same. They expect you to do pre trip inspection with out pay. Contradicting rules... and theres more... but I'm tired of wriring.
Pros
They hire with out experience
Cons
Everything else besides the pro.
Don't do it
Driver (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVFebruary 2, 2017
Not a safe place to work, they don't fix trucks. Set you up for failure and blame you for everything. They talk to much about safety but there's nothing safe there. I wouldn't recommend working there. Management always is right even if you have proof that they are wrong. An employee is never right.
Pros
Benefits and coworkers
Cons
Bad management and trucks
Residential Driver (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 22, 2017
I loved my job I didn't love the hours but we were trash and recycle drivers giving service to the city of Frisco Texas so it was time consuming and we had to help the slower drivers finish their routes
Most poorly managed company I've seen.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAJanuary 18, 2017
DM Recycling is without a doubt the worst managed company I've worked for. Discipline and policy enforcement is extremely SUBJECTIVE. Intimidation is their management model. Preach servant leadership, but in fact is the exact opposite. The more sense employee input makes, the more management resists. Approach employee suggestions and concerns as subversive and REFUSE to allow employees to feel validated or empowered!?!? Hostile, unstable, uncomfortable work environment.
Wage scale is a disaster. Certain people making $3 more per hour to do the same job?!
Horrible benefit package. Don't take care of the employees that make them profitable.
Worst place I've ever worked.
Pros
Wages are competitive.
Cons
Poor benefits and general care for employees.
would rather not give a rating
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houma, LAJanuary 12, 2017
I would rather not give a review at this time as my opinions are skewed by recent experiences and would not be considered professional nor would they be acceptable.
Pros
Non to mention
Cons
None to mention

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Connections. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8