Waste Connections Employee Reviews in United States

good place to work if you like boring jobs and bad management
Driver Trainee (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 21, 2016
boring, robotic, monotonous, and management doesnt have any idea what they are doing. they just want to please the people above them. dont care how they screw the people below them.
Productive good attitude good safe environment
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Brookings, ORJuly 21, 2016
GReat Place to work and grow into many careers and other oppertunitys, great family oreanted all around, and they took good care of their employees and employees family needs.
Pros
insurance, meals at safety meetings
Cons
sometimes the weather lol
Long hours, horrible management.
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 28, 2016
WCI as a whole is a great place to work. On a corporate level they support their philosophy as a "servant leader" organization. However, the districts in North Carolina fall very short in their support. Upper management set unattainable goals and fail to provide the necessary tools and training to effectively perform duties. As a member of leadership you will be expected to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week, even while taking approved vacation days. Pay would be fair, if the hours outlined in offer letter were even close to accurate. 50 hours a week will be advertised for a salaried employee. 75 to 85 hours a week is the normal. I have worked in multiple districts for WCI. Nc districts have by far been the worst. Management lack of people skills have caused a turn over rate that says it all. Skilled, talented, dependable employees will not stay if they are being ignored and being made to feel unappreciated and their turnover rate reflects this particular failure.
Pros
Co workers were dedicated and hard working
Cons
Lack of integrity, long hours, no work/home life balance
Want employees who live too work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 22, 2016
Worked at this co. over 25 yrs.Last 6 under WCI. 60 hrs. a week Won't provide enough manpower to get work done.Micromanage every facet.Don't trust any of their employees.Just the opposite of the previous owners.Most of my co-workers have worked here over 20 yrs,all are re-tiring as soon as they can.Corporation is all that matters.WCI has ruined what once was one of the premiere solid waste haulers in the state.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Management, long hours
RUN!!!! HORRIBLE work environment!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clallam County, WAJune 21, 2016
This company is a JOKE!! I quit after less than a year of H*LL!!! They presented the position as a great opportunity to work for a Fortune 500 company when in reality the office was located in a converted, rotting, doublewide-trailer with dead animals (rodents) decomposing in the air ducts. I would not recommend working for this company to anyone!!
What I Learned
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 10, 2016
I learned a lot of valuable skills working for Waste Connections such as welding, body work, and engine repair. The Maintenance Manager was great about showing me how to make a repair so that I could do it on my own the next time.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long work hours
Dont take a job at Lake Shore Disposal mccall idaho
Employee (Current Employee) –  McCall, IDJune 8, 2016
This is the most poorly ran management I've ever seen nor been associated with the manager couldn't even manage his own hat if it was in his hands. Paul needs to learn respect of his crew not just the corporate office
Pros
NONE
Cons
Evrydsy coming to work
Nice place to work without the extras
Front End Loader Driver (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 7, 2016
Waste Connections as a whole is a good place to work for and I did learn some valuable information while being there. The flow of the day was by far one of the best schedules I had because it allowed me to be home with my family on a nightly basis
Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 6, 2016
A call center with very high turn over. Constantly recruiting and replacing status. Low wage and poor hours. Grind the workers and replace.
Productive and wonderful place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAJune 3, 2016
A typical work day would be checking my manifest for pick-ups of recycle to see if residents has paid account or if account is delinquent. Inspect my truck to make sure its operating at full potential speed. Make sure I have all the necessary paper work and maps to ensure I am heading in the right direction.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
N/A
Good place to work and learn.
Journeyman Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 24, 2016
Started out really good and gained lots of knowledge and then after some years it slows down and to move up you have to move out.
Great place to learn new skills.
Horrible Job!!!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEMay 9, 2016
I gave my all to this company for almost 3 yrs & got kicked in the teeth with a stupid reason for termination. I loved the job as long as I was off the property. But the drama,poor management and the lack of fixing the truck correctly drives ya absolutely crazy. The way they treat the people that are making THEM the money is not right. I watched so many fellow employees be treated so bad. They always make you feel like you are wrong. It seemed like the more I cared the more they would knock me down. But I stayed because the customers that I developed an acquaintance with meant a lot to me. But they let go of me for doing a good deed and did not care a bit.
Pros
lots of hours!!
Cons
the whole company!
Outgrown
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 9, 2016
I outgrew management. There was nothing left to learn from them. Job/Life balance was non-existant. Often times, I was asked to place my job before prior engagements with my family.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Stressful enviroment
ok place to work
transfer station operator (Current Employee) –  TennesseeApril 6, 2016
The primary strength of working with Waste Connections is knowing I will have my position tomorrow, a year from now, or even long. Even if everyone tried to recycle more than they currently do, I will still have a job. There are many things people throw away, because they no longer need/want it, or no longer works for its purpose. The worst part of working with Waste Connections is the hourly wage , and career advancement within the company. This is a dead end job with job security. You cannot connect with your future because there is no future in this company. I've been with this company for 9 years with the promise of good pay and advancement. As of now the company has failed to meet their promises. A positive about the company is that my co-workers and i are like family. From the time I started to now, my work load has increased but not the compensation. If you are looking for steady work with minimum hourly wage, Waste connections is the place to work. In my personal opinion, this company should pay more considering they are in the fortune 500. It shouldn't matter what district/location.
Pros
job security
Cons
pay, advancement
Its hard on the body but pays bills, dangerous
Rear load Driver (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 6, 2016
HR and management do not care about the employee at all. They just need a seat warmer and treat you like it. Most expensive outfit in town yet pay the least. Drive cams have great uses but are abused by management to punish rather than coach or praise. If someone irritates the boss expect to get an earful. Management doesn't care rather or not you do a good job. If he doesn't like you, you won't have a job before the end of your 90 day. Otherwise, it's consistent work and fairly reliable hours. Good luck making your 90 days and getting your benefits. Like the management said, "If you dont like how things are here leave, theres the f***ing door! I've got 30 f***ing applications on my desk and I don't need any of you!"
Pros
Solid hours/ot
Cons
Require meal breaks unpaid, subject to weather conditions, drive cams can get you 3 day suspensions for anything management feels, dangerous.
Great pay and benefits but no life..always working.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 30, 2016
I really love my job but I'm also not married and have no kids. I work 60 hours a week and start at 1AM. Communication is poor and you're always getting a new manager..don't bother trying to remember names.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
a decent place to work i learned how to run a roll off truck and how to get around the oil field
Driver / Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMMarch 2, 2016
it was a decent place to work for three and a half years I was satisfied where I was with me management team and liked my coworkers. but in the end very stressful about weather I would have a job from day to day. I still showed up and gave my all until the day I was laid off
"A wasted connection"
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 8, 2016
Don't even think about these ppl are not for their employees. A typical day is getting 100-200 calls abt the driver not picking up the trash or the recyclables. Management is the worst team I've ever experienced. They never see your right only your wrong. And fire employees with no particular reason stating "failed the introductory period"
Pros
Cons
Management, drivers not servicing routes properly
Customer driven company.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, KYJanuary 28, 2016
Good customer relations and customer service. Enjoyed serving the public and daily interactions with the public. Work atmosphere is employee oriented. No room for advancement since it is a small company.
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
This was a good place to work with a lot of great people. Throughout the years met and worked for some great people. Able to work with a trusted work ethics, the bosses trusted you to do your job in a timely and safe manner. Felt like you were your own boss representing the company in a professional manner.
Pros
Great insurance benefits
Cons
long hours, sometimes hard labor on the body

2.8