Waste Connections Employee Reviews

Not much backing for There employees
Driver (Current Employee) –  Red bluffMay 20, 2013
Wasn't a bad place to work for at first. The benefits sucked they don't give you the bonuses or raises they promise you. When I asked about my retirement the Site manager laughed at me and said it was a joke. And told me to just save my money. When I had a problem with the way the lead driver was treating me she said honestly I'm not gonna do anything about it. All the trucks are broke down constantly. If you write your truck up for repairs the mechanic will red tag your truck the next day and you will be stuck in the back up truck which should be thrown to scrap. The mechanics have until 6 pm to fix your truck but instead decide to go home early and red tag your truck the next day. Then don't even think about speaking your mind about it or you will be fired. Also don't mention the union that that every other solid waste driver is part of or they will eliminate your position just to fill it a month later. Also you only get three paid holidays off and have to make them up on Saturdays. The three sick days your given are usually gone with the first round of sickness cause nobody can afford to take the day off when they get sick. It's the lowest paid solid waste driver in all of America. And one of the few that are not union. The lead driver will escape work like the plague even if it means everyone suffer. Favoritism is a large part of the way things are ran. And be carefully of any holiday as there is about 7 jahova witnesses that work there and the only thing about the holidays they want is the tips from customers.
Pros
the hours and beer at every company party
Cons
the fact they care less about anybody working for them, insurance sucks, retirement is a joke says the site manager, turn over, trucks are trash, hope you don't mind waiting sometimes hours for a mechanic to come right another temporary fix
NOT a "great place to work anymore" as the company promotes
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Sedalia, ColoradoJune 6, 2014
Placing and compacting trash, hauling dirt for cover, grading side slopes and maintaining haul roads. NO OPINIONS INCLUDED - JUST FACTS: I learned that a multi million dollar company cares less about it's employees than their equipment and the equipment is purchased used, wornout and dilapidated. They appear to offer benefits that really are trivial while expecting work to be completed without providing adequate equipment to get the job done. In the great scheme of things,they spend minimal amounts of finances to keep the equipment working. When there is equipment failure management is quick to call it "operator error". When in fact it is "worn out" used equipment purchased to SAVE money. The co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was working with management that knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the tasks of working a landfill and was more interested in letting you know WHO WAS BOSS. If the employee is not a "YES MAN" he will be eliminated. The most enjoyable part of the job was .... LEAVING. Their equipment is a JOKE, (you get sent home because the equipment is broke down) their safety practices are a JOKE and their immediate field management is a JOKE. The sad thing about it is .. it used to be a great place to work and could be again but UNLESS and UNTIL upper management pulls their head out of the sand, stops pretending everything is OK and gets back in the game, it is going to get worse. Putting unqualified leadership in charge is NOT working. I did not leave because I was forced out like others .... I left because I saw what was happening to others  more... and was very disappointed to see what the company had become.  less
Pros
opportunity to work with great co-workers who were knowledgable and skilled and their jobs, i learned a lot.
Cons
poor management and poor equipment
Very fun & relaxed workplace, co. does a lot for their employees, good pay & benefits, great group of co-workers, etc.
Commercial Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2014
Very fun and relaxed workplace, great group of driver's & co-workers for the most part. Of course, it was much better before the merge, buy-out & new management & leadership. The new didn't seem to want to keep too many of the original around...for some reason?! We were talked to & treated much better when we were Republic Waste...before the merge & then buy-out of us remaining. New leadership/management is very arrogant, really enjoys his power & abuses it. Threatens in an example story telling way & always with a grin on his face. Loves & will go head over hills, even been known of hiring private detectives trying to catch someone at something...like a Tom & Jerry game & then tells & shares with all...certainly breaching professionalism &/or confidentuality?! We had virtually no turnover before & then when he/new management was in place it was constant & tremendous...even with new hirings that was not originally Republic Waste employees...! It's sad to think that one man has the power & could cause so much demise of what is virtually at good company & a great place to work...! It's one of those deals that you better hope he likes you & you stay on his good side...or he will ride you like an unbroken horse...until you brake?!
Pros
great, fun, relaxed & happy place to work, good pay & benefits, great driver's & co-workers for the most part.
Cons
leadership enjoys & abuses his power, threatens & watches people in an around about way, is dishonest, untrustworthy, sneaky...& let's you know he enjoys it & there is nothing you can do about it!!
Houston TX.
ROLL -OFF Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston TX>April 9, 2014
I started as a roll-off driver 1 1/2 months ago at Waste Connections in Houston, have 18 years experience as a roll-off driver, no tickets, no accidents, missed 3 days in 18 years at a previous waste company. I worked on Monday,was called into yard, and was let go, no reason, nothing. Terrible blow, for the people including management were great, don't know what went wrong, was doing the job according to my coworkers. I am sorry I lost this job, for I would of benefited them. I have great work ethic and appreciate a good job. But I will say, in their employment booklet, it states at least 40 times, TX. is an AT WILL STATE, we will fire you for anything but yet Waste Connections ask for a two week notice before you quit.. I don't know what I did, and I feel I deserve the respect to get an answer, any answer,but HR just stated I was not wanted, WELCOME TO TX. is what my friend said. Waste Connections, I started with a reck of a truck, did the best I could do, you could of gave me a reason,
Pros
nice people/co workers
Cons
don"t care enough to say why, blind to your feelings
decent pay for work harder than it needs to be.
Recycling attendant (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAFebruary 12, 2014
I worked at a recycling center cashing out customers for CRV bottles and cans. The work will keep you occupied but some days will be so busy that your ability to complete tasks would be impossible without cutting corners as the workload can sometimes be just too much for a single offsite employee. The pay was quiet excellent and benefits were nice as well, though opportunity for advancement was out of the question, to advance I was told I would have to take a pay cut and start over in an alternate position within the company!

Co-worker relationships consisted of saying hello at clock in at the MRF and goodnight at Clock out at the end of the day.

Hours were solid at 40 hours, 5 days a week.

Management was decent though constant reminders were needed over and over again for needed supplies. For example scales were off balance for months cutting customers pay-outs short until W&M finally came and shut down our centers near the end of the work day. In all my time I never revived an actual review of my performance, outside of casual conversation saying "You're doing a good job."
Outstanding people
preventive maintenance mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fife, WaSeptember 29, 2015
A safety first culture, caring and invested co-workers and outstanding management. Best infrastructure and support I have been around from the shift lead to regional manager. The company truly cares about the health and well being of it's employees. There are numerous benefits at Waste Connections that are not a typical in the industry. Communication is at the forefront and tremendous respect is given to each employee. The culture on the shop floor is one of growth and development. No co-worker has ever been too busy to assist or offer help when needed. Top of the line shop equipment that improves the safety and ease of performing the job/tasks. This is by far the best I have ever been treated by an employer. The one negative is that there are simply not enough mechanics to handle the workload. This results in a lot of overtime which affects work/life balance negatively. The pay is also below industry standard but the volume of overtime compensates for that.
Pros
culture, management, co-workers, training, safety, cleanliness, perks
Cons
overtime- life/work balance, less than industry standard pay
management is awful
Front End Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Rainier, WASeptember 20, 2014
I work for waste connections 5 years and enjoyed the first two year then after that it went all down hill. If you are not good friends with the boss and didn't do activities with her after work then you were treated terrible. You would be picked on on a daily basis. The boss would allow her friends to take up to a hr up to two hr breaks and lunches and would be fine with that while trucks would be waiting to get loaded. The boss would put on a big show though when the bigger bosses would show up. An employee could do the same exact things in the yard as her friends would do but you would be the one who gets reprimanded if you were not her close friend even if you went above and beyond. Hopefully someday corporate will see this. Facts are facts.
Pros
bbq every friday
Cons
flirty with employees, only hires her friends, favoritism to her friends, only comes out to the yard if her boss shows up, you will get reprimanded on things you did not even do.
Waste Connections provided me a great job for 2 years.
Level II Technician (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CANovember 21, 2015
For my company I was responsible for preforming preventative maintenance, as well as light engine work for our fleet of 13 garbage trucks. In that time I learned how to preform my various tasks in a professional safe manner. I really appreciate how my managers made me feel like a part of the Waste Connections family. Each day I looked forward to working with my supportive co-workers. The hardest part of my job was taking constructive criticism and using it to perfect my technique. At the end of the day I enjoyed thinking about what I was able to learn while helping my company further our goals.
Pros
Full benifits and learning oppretunits.
Cons
I had to work far away from my home town.
Taken a course and going fishing
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Polkton, NCDecember 7, 2014
To start to work and be call the manager and ask how to fix a truck that some one else work on.
What did I learned the hard way because when there is no leader to show you what needed to be done you will have to fine out for your self.
Management is open and close. At all time the general manager was very open and will help you with every thing you needed to do and know about your job.
Co-workers They was very good to work around and with them lost of cross training.
The hardest part of the job/ is to have to go to the shop manager to get something done over and over again just to get every thing done.
The most enjoyable part of the job. Is to know that you know the job very good and it was a good thing that other location call for your help not the shop manager.
A wonderful business in trash collection learning the residential & commmercial side of customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha,NebraskaAugust 7, 2013
A typical day was taking 250 calls with customers such taking payments by phone, setting up new & cancellations or making changes to service. I learned that patience is a virtue. Management is only as good as their staff. The co-workers were a lot of fun. the hardest part of the job is wishing at times you good do more for your customers if allowed. the best part of the job is at the end of the day when you know you have helped a lot of good people.
Pros
having a fun job to go to all week.
Cons
watching co-workers being terminated and then it's your turn.
Choose a different company to work for
customer service (Former Employee) –  wichita, ksApril 5, 2015
The pay is decent, however, it is a lot of manual entry. In fact, I have never seen a company so...how do we say...corporated on breaking your hands and your back. The atmosphere is sick. If you aren't a drama queen...you don't fit in. Then if you are nice to the customer you get dogged on. They think you should be mean unless your getting a payment or getting some new service in. Management...I wont even go there..end of story.
Pros
blank...literally.
Cons
Insurance, pay, co-workers, vulgarity, untrained co-workers and poor management
it was a ok job
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee) –  Harlan, KYFebruary 6, 2015
a typical day at work started at 530 am it was a very tuff job and it was dangerous but good exercise I enjoyed it till they changed our pay to a day rate we worked 60 hours a week lots of times with no overtime pay and if the company would have kept paying by the hour with overtime pay I would have still been there today just did noit like working all those hours with out over time pay I don't mind working overtime but I like to be payed for my overtime
Pros
lots of good customers
Cons
enjoyed working for the public
A learning Experience
Sales Consultant/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston TXDecember 9, 2014
Learned to identify and communicate with different levels of management, negotiate sales/contracts, communicate efficiently with various depts to resolve customers service requests.Learned the importance of communication and follow up. I enjoyed building relationships with my customers/co-workers and the benefits that came from it. Wearing the hat of Account Mgr/Retention/Billing/Sales Consultant could be a bit overwhelming at times.
Pros
great health benefits and the flexibility to work from home.
Cons
no car allowance/fuel card. a lot of turn around in management/sales dept.
A workplace to learn and enjoy
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Harper, KSDecember 2, 2012
Daily inspection sheets, build and maintain roads, operate heavy equipment, load trucks, ensure workplace safety.

I learned how to operate equipment better. I learned to take charge of situations.

As with all corporations, some management was superior and helped teach and others were self-indulgent.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with unsafe co-workers that endangered each other and equipment.

I loved the job because I could operate all of the equipment on-site and I was heavily relied upon.
Pros
i could work all the overtime i wanted.
Cons
favoritism amongst managent.
poor management and favortism towards certain empooyees
maintenance manager (Former Employee) –  mccall idahoAugust 19, 2014
Poorly operated, worked 50 to 70 hrs a week salaried and that wasnt enough for the site manager. They want you to put the company first and your personal life second. Coworkers were awesome for the most part. Benefits were great, pay was descent. If you smoke, drink, and love guns you will be a favorite and youll get away with almost anything.
benefits
Cons
everything else
"A wasted connection"
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 8, 2016
Don't even think about these ppl are not for their employees. A typical day is getting 100-200 calls abt the driver not picking up the trash or the recyclables. Management is the worst team I've ever experienced. They never see your right only your wrong. And fire employees with no particular reason stating "failed the introductory period"
Pros
Cons
Management, drivers not servicing routes properly
Okay work place
Preventative Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  OklahomaAugust 4, 2015
Long days, 12-15 hours a day. I furthered my knowledge in mechanics. Co- workers where okay. Hardest part of this job was dealing with management, that shop had two people going regional so if there was a problem they did not want to deal with it in fear of loosing their promotion.
Pros
Working at night
Cons
No time with family
NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK FOR
driver (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORDecember 13, 2015
Be prepared to work for a company where you are always told what a bad worker you are. If you go out of your way to do a good jo it goes unnoticed. Favoritism is another thing. If you're not on their favorite list of people you'll get screwed every time. everyone talks bad about each other and definitely not a team work environment
Terrible management and very unfair
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 26, 2014
I worked there for 3 months management had there favorites. Also I did a two man job for one mans pay. All they care about is partying at college football games. Management had no experience and was hired because they were drinking buddies with the district manager.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
managment and the backwards overtime.
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
This was a good place to work with a lot of great people. Throughout the years met and worked for some great people. Able to work with a trusted work ethics, the bosses trusted you to do your job in a timely and safe manner. Felt like you were your own boss representing the company in a professional manner.
Pros
Great insurance benefits
Cons
long hours, sometimes hard labor on the body