Waste Connections Employee Reviews

"A wasted connection"
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 8, 2016
Don't even think about these ppl are not for their employees. A typical day is getting 100-200 calls abt the driver not picking up the trash or the recyclables. Management is the worst team I've ever experienced. They never see your right only your wrong. And fire employees with no particular reason stating "failed the introductory period"
Pros
Cons
Management, drivers not servicing routes properly
Customer driven company.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, KYJanuary 28, 2016
Good customer relations and customer service. Enjoyed serving the public and daily interactions with the public. Work atmosphere is employee oriented. No room for advancement since it is a small company.
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
This was a good place to work with a lot of great people. Throughout the years met and worked for some great people. Able to work with a trusted work ethics, the bosses trusted you to do your job in a timely and safe manner. Felt like you were your own boss representing the company in a professional manner.
Pros
Great insurance benefits
Cons
long hours, sometimes hard labor on the body
Not a good place to work for
driver (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORDecember 13, 2015
Be prepared to work for a company where you are always told what a bad worker you are. If you go out of your way to do a good jo it goes unnoticed. Favoritism is another thing. If you're not on their favorite list of people you'll get screwed every time. everyone talks bad about each other and definitely not a team work environment
Interesting Place to Work
Data Entry / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 3, 2015
Typical day: fast-pace, positive environment, always looking for places to improve work quality

Management is good.

Coworkers are good.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, raffles, drawings... really cool company parties
Cons
High stress with call center
Waste Connections provided me a great job for 2 years.
Level II Technician (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CANovember 21, 2015
For my company I was responsible for preforming preventative maintenance, as well as light engine work for our fleet of 13 garbage trucks. In that time I learned how to preform my various tasks in a professional safe manner. I really appreciate how my managers made me feel like a part of the Waste Connections family. Each day I looked forward to working with my supportive co-workers. The hardest part of my job was taking constructive criticism and using it to perfect my technique. At the end of the day I enjoyed thinking about what I was able to learn while helping my company further our goals.
Pros
Full benifits and learning oppretunits.
Cons
I had to work far away from my home town.
Outstanding people
preventive maintenance mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fife, WaSeptember 29, 2015
A safety first culture, caring and invested co-workers and outstanding management. Best infrastructure and support I have been around from the shift lead to regional manager. The company truly cares about the health and well being of it's employees. There are numerous benefits at Waste Connections that are not a typical in the industry. Communication is at the forefront and tremendous respect is given to each employee. The culture on the shop floor is one of growth and development. No co-worker has ever been too busy to assist or offer help when needed. Top of the line shop equipment that improves the safety and ease of performing the job/tasks. This is by far the best I have ever been treated by an employer. The one negative is that there are simply not enough mechanics to handle the workload. This results in a lot of overtime which affects work/life balance negatively. The pay is also below industry standard but the volume of overtime compensates for that.
Pros
culture, management, co-workers, training, safety, cleanliness, perks
Cons
overtime- life/work balance, less than industry standard pay
Worst Management EVER!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCSeptember 19, 2015
They have terrible management! Look under MONROE God Bless the USA, Inc. (GBUSA) on BBB, they have a F rating. They do not care anything about customers needs nor their employees . All the management is interested in is the Transfer Station that is being built. BEWARE!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, low pay, unfair to customers/employees
garbage truck helper (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 18, 2015
Learn new things about people and how they treat the people picking up there trash. Fast pace work that helps you stay in shape as you clean up the neighborhood.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Ada, OKAugust 16, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Okay work place
Preventative Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  OklahomaAugust 4, 2015
Long days, 12-15 hours a day. I furthered my knowledge in mechanics. Co- workers where okay. Hardest part of this job was dealing with management, that shop had two people going regional so if there was a problem they did not want to deal with it in fear of loosing their promotion.
Pros
Working at night
Cons
No time with family
fun work place
labor (Current Employee) –  troy nyJuly 27, 2015
great place to work easy place, great company, great benfits, great staff, easy work, nice people, great pay, great company move up in
Pros
free lunches
Cons
great benfits
Driving position
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 15, 2015
Management would make it a point to acknowledge and recognize driver achievements on a continual basis. drivers were compensated regularly for safe efficient driving.
Pros
driver recognition
Cons
Retirement matching funds
Still doing it
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Stanton, TXJuly 7, 2015
12 hour shifts with plenty of over time, no room to move up but still a solid job. Good environment to learn from the more experienced folks as well as teaching the younger kids...
Pros
Hours
Cons
No room to grow
Great company to work for
Scale Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 19, 2015
It was a great company to work for, just not adjustable hours for my schooling. It was also boring work with not a lot of human interaction.
It's a good job for this state
Driver (Current Employee) –  MississippiApril 22, 2015
Pay is different for different routes and some get paid way more than others. Raises aren't much but bonus is ok. Not many jobs in this area can pay this.
Pros
home at night
Cons
long hours lower pay
Choose a different company to work for
customer service (Former Employee) –  wichita, ksApril 5, 2015
The pay is decent, however, it is a lot of manual entry. In fact, I have never seen a company so...how do we say...corporated on breaking your hands and your back. The atmosphere is sick. If you aren't a drama queen...you don't fit in. Then if you are nice to the customer you get dogged on. They think you should be mean unless your getting a payment or getting some new service in. Management...I wont even go there..end of story.
Pros
blank...literally.
Cons
Insurance, pay, co-workers, vulgarity, untrained co-workers and poor management
it was a ok job
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee) –  Harlan, KYFebruary 6, 2015
a typical day at work started at 530 am it was a very tuff job and it was dangerous but good exercise I enjoyed it till they changed our pay to a day rate we worked 60 hours a week lots of times with no overtime pay and if the company would have kept paying by the hour with overtime pay I would have still been there today just did noit like working all those hours with out over time pay I don't mind working overtime but I like to be payed for my overtime
Pros
lots of good customers
Cons
enjoyed working for the public
A learning Experience
Sales Consultant/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston TXDecember 9, 2014
Learned to identify and communicate with different levels of management, negotiate sales/contracts, communicate efficiently with various depts to resolve customers service requests.Learned the importance of communication and follow up. I enjoyed building relationships with my customers/co-workers and the benefits that came from it. Wearing the hat of Account Mgr/Retention/Billing/Sales Consultant could be a bit overwhelming at times.
Pros
great health benefits and the flexibility to work from home.
Cons
no car allowance/fuel card. a lot of turn around in management/sales dept.
Taken a course and going fishing
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Polkton, NCDecember 7, 2014
To start to work and be call the manager and ask how to fix a truck that some one else work on.
What did I learned the hard way because when there is no leader to show you what needed to be done you will have to fine out for your self.
Management is open and close. At all time the general manager was very open and will help you with every thing you needed to do and know about your job.
Co-workers They was very good to work around and with them lost of cross training.
The hardest part of the job/ is to have to go to the shop manager to get something done over and over again just to get every thing done.
The most enjoyable part of the job. Is to know that you know the job very good and it was a good thing that other location call for your help not the shop manager.