Waste Connections

Waste Connections Employer Reviews

Terrible management and very unfair
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: managment and the backwards overtime.
I worked there for 3 months management had there favorites. Also I did a two man job for one mans pay. All they care about is partying at college football games. Management had no experience and was hired because they were drinking buddies with the district manager.
management is awful
Front End Loader Operator (Current Employee), Rainier, WASeptember 20, 2014
Pros: bbq every friday
Cons: flirty with employees, only hires her friends, favoritism to her friends, only comes out to the yard if her boss shows up, you will get reprimanded on things you did not even do.
I work for waste connections 5 years and enjoyed the first two year then after that it went all down hill. If you are not good friends with the boss and didn't do activities with her after work then you were treated terrible. You would be picked on on a daily basis. The boss would allow her friends to take up to a hr up to two hr breaks and lunches – more... and would be fine with that while trucks would be waiting to get loaded. The boss would put on a big show though when the bigger bosses would show up. An employee could do the same exact things in the yard as her friends would do but you would be the one who gets reprimanded if you were not her close friend even if you went above and beyond. Hopefully someday corporate will see this. Facts are facts. – less
Fun place to work
Customer Service Rep/Office Receptionist (Former Employee), Riverton, WYSeptember 16, 2014
Good job and people to work with and it made the days go by pretty quick. Got to know good people
I liked my job.
Mechanic/Driver (Former Employee), Commerce City, COSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: wc gave us free t-shirts for work.
When I was with Waste Connections, we had a good team and worked together well.
poor management and favortism towards certain empooyees
maintenance manager (Former Employee), mccall idahoAugust 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything else
Poorly operated, worked 50 to 70 hrs a week salaried and that wasnt enough for the site manager. They want you to put the company first and your personal life second. Coworkers were awesome for the most part. Benefits were great, pay was descent. If you smoke, drink, and love guns you will be a favorite and youll get away with almost anything.
Terrible company to work for.
Roll off driver (Current Employee), Hutchinson, KSAugust 5, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: pay, benefits, management
They promise a sign-on bonus but it gets paid in small portions. Management is horrible, very moody, cursed at employees often. Pay is very low. They messed up the insurance so my dependants were dropped.
challanging mentaly and physicaly ,over all verry enjoyable.
container delivery (Former Employee), Duncan, OKJuly 7, 2014
Pros: mentaly challenging, time flew by
Cons: sometimes verry hectic.
a typical day included lineing out my objectives for the day,repos in morning,repairs and painting mid day,deliverys in the afternoons.
working at WCC
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), fife wahingtonJune 26, 2014
Was a great place great staff and much to learn they have many new things to learn from
NOT a "great place to work anymore" as the company promotes
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Sedalia, ColoradoJune 6, 2014
Pros: opportunity to work with great co-workers who were knowledgable and skilled and their jobs, i learned a lot.
Cons: poor management and poor equipment
Placing and compacting trash, hauling dirt for cover, grading side slopes and maintaining haul roads. NO OPINIONS INCLUDED - JUST FACTS: I learned that a multi million dollar company cares less about it's employees than their equipment and the equipment is purchased used, wornout and dilapidated. They appear to offer benefits that really are trivial – more... while expecting work to be completed without providing adequate equipment to get the job done. In the great scheme of things,they spend minimal amounts of finances to keep the equipment working. When there is equipment failure management is quick to call it "operator error". When in fact it is "worn out" used equipment purchased to SAVE money. The co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was working with management that knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the tasks of working a landfill and was more interested in letting you know WHO WAS BOSS. If the employee is not a "YES MAN" he will be eliminated. The most enjoyable part of the job was .... LEAVING. Their equipment is a JOKE, (you get sent home because the equipment is broke down) their safety practices are a JOKE and their immediate field management is a JOKE. The sad thing about it is .. it used to be a great place to work and could be again but UNLESS and UNTIL upper management pulls their head out of the sand, stops pretending everything is OK and gets back in the game, it is going to get worse. Putting unqualified leadership in charge is NOT working. I did not leave because I was forced out like others .... I left because I saw what was happening to others and was very disappointed to see what the company had become. – less
Fun productive workplace
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Belton, SCJune 4, 2014
This was a busy job worked in strip mines. enjoyed the people that I worked with
Houston TX.
ROLL -OFF Driver (Former Employee), Houston TX>April 9, 2014
Pros: nice people/co workers
Cons: don"t care enough to say why, blind to your feelings
I started as a roll-off driver 1 1/2 months ago at Waste Connections in Houston, have 18 years experience as a roll-off driver, no tickets, no accidents, missed 3 days in 18 years at a previous waste company. I worked on Monday,was called into yard, and was let go, no reason, nothing. Terrible blow, for the people including management were great, don't – more... know what went wrong, was doing the job according to my coworkers. I am sorry I lost this job, for I would of benefited them. I have great work ethic and appreciate a good job. But I will say, in their employment booklet, it states at least 40 times, TX. is an AT WILL STATE, we will fire you for anything but yet Waste Connections ask for a two week notice before you quit.. I don't know what I did, and I feel I deserve the respect to get an answer, any answer,but HR just stated I was not wanted, WELCOME TO TX. is what my friend said. Waste Connections, I started with a reck of a truck, did the best I could do, you could of gave me a reason, – less
Fulfilling work load, wonderful co-workers, poor management
Residental and Commercial Dispatch/Operations (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 2, 2014
Pros: fulfilling workload, wonderful co workers, comfortable atmosphere
Cons: management
Fulfilling workload. Great Co-workers. Lacking in proper management. Waste Connections has an extremely high turnover rate and expectations that should not be considered in placement. It is much like being under a dictatorship.
Very fun & relaxed workplace, co. does a lot for their employees, good pay & benefits, great group of co-workers, etc.
Commercial Dispatcher (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2014
Pros: great, fun, relaxed & happy place to work, good pay & benefits, great driver's & co-workers for the most part.
Cons: leadership enjoys & abuses his power, threatens & watches people in an around about way, is dishonest, untrustworthy, sneaky...& let's you know he enjoys it & there is nothing you can do about it!!
Very fun and relaxed workplace, great group of driver's & co-workers for the most part. Of course, it was much better before the merge, buy-out & new management & leadership. The new didn't seem to want to keep too many of the original around...for some reason?! We were talked to & treated much better when we were Republic Waste...before the merge & – more... then buy-out of us remaining. New leadership/management is very arrogant, really enjoys his power & abuses it. Threatens in an example story telling way & always with a grin on his face. Loves & will go head over hills, even been known of hiring private detectives trying to catch someone at something...like a Tom & Jerry game & then tells & shares with all...certainly breaching professionalism &/or confidentuality?! We had virtually no turnover before & then when he/new management was in place it was constant & tremendous...even with new hirings that was not originally Republic Waste employees...! It's sad to think that one man has the power & could cause so much demise of what is virtually at good company & a great place to work...! It's one of those deals that you better hope he likes you & you stay on his good side...or he will ride you like an unbroken horse...until you brake?! – less
Ok place to work
Sanitation engineer (Former Employee), Miles City, MTFebruary 26, 2014
Work by yourself. you're your own boss most of the time. I took care of the Colstrip-Lamedeer route and the ranches in between.
decent pay for work harder than it needs to be.
Recycling attendant (Former Employee), Placerville, CAFebruary 12, 2014
I worked at a recycling center cashing out customers for CRV bottles and cans. The work will keep you occupied but some days will be so busy that your ability to complete tasks would be impossible without cutting corners as the workload can sometimes be just too much for a single offsite employee. The pay was quiet excellent and benefits were nice as – more... well, though opportunity for advancement was out of the question, to advance I was told I would have to take a pay cut and start over in an alternate position within the company!

Co-worker relationships consisted of saying hello at clock in at the MRF and goodnight at Clock out at the end of the day.

Hours were solid at 40 hours, 5 days a week.

Management was decent though constant reminders were needed over and over again for needed supplies. For example scales were off balance for months cutting customers pay-outs short until W&M finally came and shut down our centers near the end of the work day. In all my time I never revived an actual review of my performance, outside of casual conversation saying "You're doing a good job." – less
A 2 man job for 1 man's pay
Rear Residential Truck Driver/Loader (Current Employee), Whitley City, KYJanuary 1, 2014
Cons: micromanagement, management doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing.
At this company I drove a rear loader residential garbage truck. I was on the truck by myself and was required to drive the truck and get out and load the garbage at every stop.
Great place to learn about recycling.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Portland, ORNovember 7, 2013
Pros: i learned the importance of recycling
Cons: no room for advancement
Overall great place to work. I was able to exhibit my customer service skills at the highest level because we had lots of angry customers/
Great Company to work for
Inside HOA Sales/ Account Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COOctober 31, 2013
Pros: great culture, great compensation and environment
Waste Connections is a wonderful company to work for, I was with them for 2 years and enjoyed every minute. They have a great company culture, Great people and even greater management. Great benefits and compensation.
Good company and pay with benefits. Management is average
Waste Management Driver (Former Employee), Folsom, CASeptember 2, 2013
I worked for Murreys Disposal for almost 7 years. It is a good, solid company with good wages and benefits. The management can be average and sometimes the environment was tense but I think this happens at every company.
Horrible hours
Route driver (Former Employee), South Central kyAugust 12, 2013
Pros: some early days
Cons: healthcare hours
Your day starts at 2:30 am and you have 200+ trash cans a day to empty and be back in the yard by 3:00 pm

About Waste Connections

How The Waste Was Won (with apologies to John Ford) would tell how Waste Connections has come to provide solid waste collection, – Read more

Waste Connections Photos