Waste Connections Employee Reviews

Great pay/benifits
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 8, 2017
Great company to work for. Some long days, can be challenging due to weather conditions. No boss standing over your shoulder..........................
Pros
Above average pay, excellent benifits including medical, dental, vision, 401k, Roth 401k, life ins, disibility, safety bonus
Cons
Above average break downs that result in long days.
Plenty of over time
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, TXAugust 5, 2017
Very stressful job trucks were wore out and abused. Upper people liked to play games and tell you what they thought you wanted to hear. Hard to get supervisor on the phone if you had a problem then he would just tell you "I'll take care of it don't worry", but usually nothing was done about the problem. My advice is do the job you signed on for and nothing more.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Workplace
Driver (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 31, 2017
Awesome place to work, you can climb the ladder of success. Working for the people in the neighborhood making sure trash is picked up on a daily basis.
They abused us where I worked. 12 hour minimum days
former driver (Former Employee) –  Richwoods, MOJuly 28, 2017
We worked from 5am until 5 pm every day.It was ridiculous.I would pick up 1000 homes a day meanwhile another driver a mile away from me was picking up only 100 stops.It was total mismanagement,apathy,and ignorance at the management level.When I started the company was IESI and it was great.I clocked in at 3:30 am sometimes when it was summer to beat the heat and they allowed it.Waste Connections runs on a fascist system where each manager at each location follows a corporate model but tries to make it appear like they are one of your brothers.If you get hurt on the job,no matter how good you are,no matter how long you have worked there,they will find a reason to get rid of you.If you get hurt,get an attorney before signing or saying anything to them.I also witnessed in my time rookies getting hired on for more than I was making after 9 years in the place.It is the shadiest company I have ever worked for and I recommend staying away from them and not doing business with them.They may say they care about safety,but it is only short term to protect their bottom line.Long term you get stressed out,overheated,and exposed to the sun and bacteria longer because of their working hour policy.If you work there, contact a union and get a better situation for yourself.
Pros
My fellow drivers were good people
Cons
hours, workload, no respect. They plot against you
They don't care about their employees
Head Sorter and Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 23, 2017
The superviors show favortism to family and friends. There is no chance for advancement, and very low chance of a raise. Will be making $8.50 for 3 years and if you ask about a raise you will get an unfavorable answer. You have no time for your family. You will work the day before and the day after every holiday. If you go to the doctor and you have an excuse from the doctor the days still count against you. They have a problem with you taking off days period.
Pros
Cons
many
Fun, fast-paced work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEJuly 22, 2017
Fast-paced, fun work environment. Room to grow, learn and advance in company. Family oriented company that offers good benefits. Professional management that goes above and beyond.
Total mis-management. Cant believe they have grown to the size they are.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 18, 2017
To anyone thinking about working forr WCI, think twice. The mgt. of the company you're thinking of applying too will fill you with nothing but lies. They run every company they own the same way with the same paperwork and the same mis-management at every location. The individual mgt. at each company is given fat incentives to save every penny they can at the expense of the customers & the drivers. I know having worked for 6 yrs. under their "servant leadership & their pyramid of success". 28 yrs. in the industry & never seen such a business model. Making the top 10 execs. in the corp. as much money ss possible at all costs is all that matters. PERIOD! Worst company to work for I've ever seen. Glad I was able to retire.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Don't expect to be appreciated. Your just a number.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAJuly 12, 2017
El Dorado Disposal (Waste Connections in Placerville) is one of the most mismanaged places I have ever seen.
This district is always out of the nessesary equipment and parts needed to do your job.
Trucks
are more often on the down (not operable) list than they are on the road. Partly because the shop manager has to many other reposiblities. Most of his added work load isn't even for our district but covering for people who have quit and or moved on.

Residential Customers
New customers are always waiting for carts. Why.... because we don't have any and the controllers keep cutting the cart budgets.
Old customers are stuck with broken and smelly carts because we don't have any to replace them. The cart washing program is always backed up. The one person who washes the carts is always being pulled away to do something else. Some customers still have Waste Managment carts 10+ years after Waste Connections bought them out.

Commercial customers
Continuously have to use bins that are rusting and falling apart. No budget to buy more. And when we do get new bins they are gone within a week or two.
Commercial customers who are wishing to increase their service (bin sizes) often wait a couple of weeks if not longer. These wait times have exceeded 8 weeks at times. New customers are in the same boat. Imagine your a seasonal business and your season starts. You start your trash and recycle service a couple weeks before your business opens. But the bins show up a couple of weeks after you open. What do you do with your trash and recycle?????

There is a huge disconnect
  more... between the workers and management.
New employees with no experience often get stared out with a higher wage than those that have worked there for years. You can start about the same time as another driver with the same experience and license and make a couple dollars less. You often have to remind management about your cost of living raise every year and even then it takes weeks if not months to get.

The problems all start at the top. The District managers phrases are often "that's the first I've heard of it" or "we will circle those wagons later."

If you like to be an effective employ this isn't the place for you. You have to learn to to care or you'll stress out about things you cannot control.

Employee turn over is out of control. But feel somewhat safe the county just approved a rate hike and contract extensions.
Pros
They provide gloves, hard hats, safety. You only have to work Monday-Friday. OT is always available there are never enough drivers
Graet Place to work
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Haltom City, TXJuly 10, 2017
Waste Connections is a great place to work. They are extremely focused on safety. The operations manager and district manager at the location I worked at (Haltom City, TX) were the best in the business. My dispatcher and drivers were awesome. The other supervisors were a great team to work with. I also had the pleasure to spend time with the CEO of the company and he and his family are truly good people
Pros
Great benefits, laid back management
Great Place to work.
District Controller (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 6, 2017
WCI is a big family and we like to work hard so we can play hard. They have a lot of life long employees who are well taken care of. We view people as our number one asset.
Pros
Bbq, big EE party, fun people
Cons
They like to relocate controllers for advancement
Great
Driver (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAJuly 5, 2017
Love Waste Connections Messer a great company to go to its employer it takes care of its workers is concerned about the workers family and themselves their outstanding and they're always there when you need them
Its a job
Roll Off Driver (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 30, 2017
In waste connections the first value is safety, however there have been more than a few times drivers are held to it until management needs stuff done
Pros
Its a weekly check
Cons
The list of cons is far to long to put on here, but the main one is that drivers are here to serve the need of money hungry management, not to offer great customer service.
Great Place to Work
Controller (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 23, 2017
I have worked for WCNX for 5+ years and I'm grateful to have found a career rather than a job. The people I work with are all great and I have created lifelong friends rather than just coworkers.
Pros
Flexible schedule, challenging work
Culture Matters!
Region Recruiter (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 23, 2017
I wake up excited to go to work. I'm expected to work hard and am given feedback when I am meeting and exceeding expectations. However, I also receive feedback when I am not meeting expectations and given the support to be better.
Great Culture!
Region Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 22, 2017
Company has a great culture and management has a very open door policy. The growth of the company is exciting and I love working here. Don't plan on ever leaving.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Loved working here
Refuse Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 22, 2017
Had a good time working here learned a lot professional people well organize company Just all-around enjoyed working with so many different people Couldn't ask for a better job
Fast paced and Long hours
Trash Helper (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXJune 19, 2017
Riding on the back of a garbage truck in a fast paced outside work environment in all weather conditions rain,snow,ice and long hours sometimes from 6:30 am till 9:00 pm
Safety is the biggest concern.
GARBAGE TRUCK SWING DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAJune 19, 2017
Start early, work late if you like and can.
Safety is everything. keep eyes on the road and beware of surroundings.
Keep communication open with Management and all will be well.
Guys working there become like brothers if your a personable type.
Staying safe in all surroundings is the hardest part.
Best part of job is security is you follow all rules.
waste connections good job
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 8, 2017
I was required to show up to work on time every day, do a pre and post trip on truck.I had to go to commercial buildings and service all customers recycling bins.
Pros
always got overtime didnt have to work weekends
Cons
worked every holiday wont be able to get alot raises
Extraordinary place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJune 7, 2017
I absolutely loved it here my bosses were great never had any issues with them I made so many friends from this job aswell it was more like a family Than anything.
Pros
Company partys
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Connections. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9