Waste Connections

Waste Connections United States Employee Reviews

It's a good job for this state
Driver (Current Employee), MississippiApril 22, 2015
Pros: home at night
Cons: long hours lower pay
Pay is different for different routes and some get paid way more than others. Raises aren't much but bonus is ok. Not many jobs in this area can pay this.
Choose a different company to work for
customer service (Former Employee), wichita, ksApril 5, 2015
Pros: blank...literally.
Cons: Insurance, pay, co-workers, vulgarity, untrained co-workers and poor management
The pay is decent, however, it is a lot of manual entry. In fact, I have never seen a company so...how do we say...corporated on breaking your hands and your back. The atmosphere is sick. If you aren't a drama queen...you don't fit in. Then if you are nice to the customer you get dogged on. They think you should be mean unless your getting a payment or getting some new service in. Management...I wont even go there..end of story.
very bad place to work bosses don't respect the work that employees do for the company- not a very safe place to work- very abusive language
Sanitation Driver (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa,AlabamaFebruary 25, 2015
Cons: better pay- long hours- abusive language towards employees- better respect for employees
I have been blocked and given bad recommendations for jobs for 2 yrs. And was also told that I was not responsible and didn't have enough sense to do the job of sanitation worker but I did it for a 1 1/2 yrs and other jobs while I was employed there and was very capable of doing them.
it was a ok job
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee), Harlan, KYFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: lots of good customers
Cons: enjoyed working for the public
a typical day at work started at 530 am it was a very tuff job and it was dangerous but good exercise I enjoyed it till they changed our pay to a day rate we worked 60 hours a week lots of times with no overtime pay and if the company would have kept paying by the hour with overtime pay I would have still been there today just did noit like working all those hours with out over time pay I don't mind working overtime but I like to be payed for my overtime
A learning Experience
Sales Consultant/Account Manager (Former Employee), Houston TXDecember 9, 2014
Pros: great health benefits and the flexibility to work from home.
Cons: no car allowance/fuel card. a lot of turn around in management/sales dept.
Learned to identify and communicate with different levels of management, negotiate sales/contracts, communicate efficiently with various depts to resolve customers service requests.Learned the importance of communication and follow up. I enjoyed building relationships with my customers/co-workers and the benefits that came from it. Wearing the hat of Account Mgr/Retention/Billing/Sales Consultant could be a bit overwhelming at times.
Taken a course and going fishing
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Polkton, NCDecember 7, 2014
To start to work and be call the manager and ask how to fix a truck that some one else work on.
What did I learned the hard way because when there is no leader to show you what needed to be done you will have to fine out for your self.
Management is open and close. At all time the general manager was very open and will help you with every thing you needed to do and know about your job.
Co-workers They was very good to work around and with them lost of cross training.
The hardest part of the job/ is to have to go to the shop manager to get something done over and over again just to get every thing done.
The most enjoyable part of the job. Is to know that you know the job very good and it was a good thing that other location call for your help not the shop manager.
Terrible management and very unfair
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: managment and the backwards overtime.
I worked there for 3 months management had there favorites. Also I did a two man job for one mans pay. All they care about is partying at college football games. Management had no experience and was hired because they were drinking buddies with the district manager.
management is awful
Front End Loader Operator (Current Employee), Rainier, WASeptember 20, 2014
Pros: bbq every friday
Cons: flirty with employees, only hires her friends, favoritism to her friends, only comes out to the yard if her boss shows up, you will get reprimanded on things you did not even do.
I work for waste connections 5 years and enjoyed the first two year then after that it went all down hill. If you are not good friends with the boss and didn't do activities with her after work then you were treated terrible. You would be picked on on a daily basis. The boss would allow her friends to take up to a hr up to two hr breaks and lunches and would be fine with that while trucks would be waiting to get loaded. The boss would put on a big show though when the bigger bosses would show up. An employee could do the same exact things in the yard as her friends would do but you would be the one who gets reprimanded if you were not her close friend even if you went above and beyond. Hopefully someday corporate will see this. Facts are facts.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Rep/Office Receptionist (Former Employee), Riverton, WYSeptember 16, 2014
Good job and people to work with and it made the days go by pretty quick. Got to know good people
I liked my job.
Mechanic/Driver (Former Employee), Commerce City, COSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: wc gave us free t-shirts for work.
When I was with Waste Connections, we had a good team and worked together well.
poor management and favortism towards certain empooyees
maintenance manager (Former Employee), mccall idahoAugust 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything else
Poorly operated, worked 50 to 70 hrs a week salaried and that wasnt enough for the site manager. They want you to put the company first and your personal life second. Coworkers were awesome for the most part. Benefits were great, pay was descent. If you smoke, drink, and love guns you will be a favorite and youll get away with almost anything.
Terrible company to work for.
Roll off driver (Current Employee), Hutchinson, KSAugust 5, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: pay, benefits, management
They promise a sign-on bonus but it gets paid in small portions. Management is horrible, very moody, cursed at employees often. Pay is very low. They messed up the insurance so my dependants were dropped.
challanging mentaly and physicaly ,over all verry enjoyable.
container delivery (Former Employee), Duncan, OKJuly 7, 2014
Pros: mentaly challenging, time flew by
Cons: sometimes verry hectic.
a typical day included lineing out my objectives for the day,repos in morning,repairs and painting mid day,deliverys in the afternoons.
working at WCC
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), fife wahingtonJune 26, 2014
Was a great place great staff and much to learn they have many new things to learn from
NOT a "great place to work anymore" as the company promotes
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Sedalia, ColoradoJune 6, 2014
Pros: opportunity to work with great co-workers who were knowledgable and skilled and their jobs, i learned a lot.
Cons: poor management and poor equipment
Placing and compacting trash, hauling dirt for cover, grading side slopes and maintaining haul roads. NO OPINIONS INCLUDED - JUST FACTS: I learned that a multi million dollar company cares less about it's employees than their equipment and the equipment is purchased used, wornout and dilapidated. They appear to offer benefits that really are trivial while expecting work to be completed without providing adequate equipment to get the job done. In the great scheme of things,they spend minimal amounts of finances to keep the equipment working. When there is equipment failure management is quick to call it "operator error". When in fact it is "worn out" used equipment purchased to SAVE money. The co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was working with management that knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the tasks of working a landfill and was more interested in letting you know WHO WAS BOSS. If the employee is not a "YES MAN" he will be eliminated. The most enjoyable part of the job was .... LEAVING. Their equipment is a JOKE, (you get sent home because the equipment is broke down) their safety practices are a JOKE and their immediate field management is a JOKE. The sad thing about it is .. it used to be a great place to work and could be again but UNLESS and UNTIL upper management pulls their head out of the sand, stops pretending everything is OK and gets back in the game, it is going to get worse. Putting unqualified leadership in charge is NOT working. I did not leave because I was forced out like others .... I left because I saw what was happening to others and was very disappointed to see what the company had become.
Fun productive workplace
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Belton, SCJune 4, 2014
This was a busy job worked in strip mines. enjoyed the people that I worked with
Houston TX.
ROLL -OFF Driver (Former Employee), Houston TX>April 9, 2014
Pros: nice people/co workers
Cons: don"t care enough to say why, blind to your feelings
I started as a roll-off driver 1 1/2 months ago at Waste Connections in Houston, have 18 years experience as a roll-off driver, no tickets, no accidents, missed 3 days in 18 years at a previous waste company. I worked on Monday,was called into yard, and was let go, no reason, nothing. Terrible blow, for the people including management were great, don't know what went wrong, was doing the job according to my coworkers. I am sorry I lost this job, for I would of benefited them. I have great work ethic and appreciate a good job. But I will say, in their employment booklet, it states at least 40 times, TX. is an AT WILL STATE, we will fire you for anything but yet Waste Connections ask for a two week notice before you quit.. I don't know what I did, and I feel I deserve the respect to get an answer, any answer,but HR just stated I was not wanted, WELCOME TO TX. is what my friend said. Waste Connections, I started with a reck of a truck, did the best I could do, you could of gave me a reason,
Fulfilling work load, wonderful co-workers, poor management
Residental and Commercial Dispatch/Operations (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 2, 2014
Pros: fulfilling workload, wonderful co workers, comfortable atmosphere
Cons: management
Fulfilling workload. Great Co-workers. Lacking in proper management. Waste Connections has an extremely high turnover rate and expectations that should not be considered in placement. It is much like being under a dictatorship.
Very fun & relaxed workplace, co. does a lot for their employees, good pay & benefits, great group of co-workers, etc.
Commercial Dispatcher (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2014
Pros: great, fun, relaxed & happy place to work, good pay & benefits, great driver's & co-workers for the most part.
Cons: leadership enjoys & abuses his power, threatens & watches people in an around about way, is dishonest, untrustworthy, sneaky...& let's you know he enjoys it & there is nothing you can do about it!!
Very fun and relaxed workplace, great group of driver's & co-workers for the most part. Of course, it was much better before the merge, buy-out & new management & leadership. The new didn't seem to want to keep too many of the original around...for some reason?! We were talked to & treated much better when we were Republic Waste...before the merge & then buy-out of us remaining. New leadership/management is very arrogant, really enjoys his power & abuses it. Threatens in an example story telling way & always with a grin on his face. Loves & will go head over hills, even been known of hiring private detectives trying to catch someone at something...like a Tom & Jerry game & then tells & shares with all...certainly breaching professionalism &/or confidentuality?! We had virtually no turnover before & then when he/new management was in place it was constant & tremendous...even with new hirings that was not originally Republic Waste employees...! It's sad to think that one man has the power & could cause so much demise of what is virtually at good company & a great place to work...! It's one of those deals that you better hope he likes you & you stay on his good side...or he will ride you like an unbroken horse...until you brake?!
Ok place to work
Sanitation engineer (Former Employee), Miles City, MTFebruary 26, 2014
Work by yourself. you're your own boss most of the time. I took care of the Colstrip-Lamedeer route and the ranches in between.

About Waste Connections

How The Waste Was Won (with apologies to John Ford) would tell how Waste Connections has come to provide solid waste collection, – Read more

Waste Connections Salaries