Waste Connections Employee Reviews

District Manager (Current Employee), Ada, OKAugust 16, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Okay work place
Preventative Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), OklahomaAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Working at night
Cons: No time with family
Long days, 12-15 hours a day. I furthered my knowledge in mechanics. Co- workers where okay. Hardest part of this job was dealing with management, that shop had two people going regional so if there was a problem they did not want to deal with it in fear of loosing their promotion.
fun work place
labor (Current Employee), troy nyJuly 27, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: great benfits
great place to work easy place, great company, great benfits, great staff, easy work, nice people, great pay, great company move up in
Driving position
Commercial Driver (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 15, 2015
Pros: driver recognition
Cons: Retirement matching funds
Management would make it a point to acknowledge and recognize driver achievements on a continual basis. drivers were compensated regularly for safe efficient driving.
Still doing it
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Stanton, TXJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Hours
Cons: No room to grow
12 hour shifts with plenty of over time, no room to move up but still a solid job. Good environment to learn from the more experienced folks as well as teaching the younger kids...
Great company to work for
Scale Clerk (Former Employee), Wichita, KSMay 19, 2015
It was a great company to work for, just not adjustable hours for my schooling. It was also boring work with not a lot of human interaction.
It's a good job for this state
Driver (Current Employee), MississippiApril 22, 2015
Pros: home at night
Cons: long hours lower pay
Pay is different for different routes and some get paid way more than others. Raises aren't much but bonus is ok. Not many jobs in this area can pay this.
Choose a different company to work for
customer service (Former Employee), wichita, ksApril 5, 2015
Pros: blank...literally.
Cons: Insurance, pay, co-workers, vulgarity, untrained co-workers and poor management
The pay is decent, however, it is a lot of manual entry. In fact, I have never seen a company so...how do we say...corporated on breaking your hands and your back. The atmosphere is sick. If you aren't a drama queen...you don't fit in. Then if you are nice to the customer you get dogged on. They think you should be mean unless your getting a payment or getting some new service in. Management...I wont even go there..end of story.
it was a ok job
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee), Harlan, KYFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: lots of good customers
Cons: enjoyed working for the public
a typical day at work started at 530 am it was a very tuff job and it was dangerous but good exercise I enjoyed it till they changed our pay to a day rate we worked 60 hours a week lots of times with no overtime pay and if the company would have kept paying by the hour with overtime pay I would have still been there today just did noit like working all those hours with out over time pay I don't mind working overtime but I like to be payed for my overtime
A learning Experience
Sales Consultant/Account Manager (Former Employee), Houston TXDecember 9, 2014
Pros: great health benefits and the flexibility to work from home.
Cons: no car allowance/fuel card. a lot of turn around in management/sales dept.
Learned to identify and communicate with different levels of management, negotiate sales/contracts, communicate efficiently with various depts to resolve customers service requests.Learned the importance of communication and follow up. I enjoyed building relationships with my customers/co-workers and the benefits that came from it. Wearing the hat of Account Mgr/Retention/Billing/Sales Consultant could be a bit overwhelming at times.
Taken a course and going fishing
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Polkton, NCDecember 7, 2014
To start to work and be call the manager and ask how to fix a truck that some one else work on.
What did I learned the hard way because when there is no leader to show you what needed to be done you will have to fine out for your self.
Management is open and close. At all time the general manager was very open and will help you with every thing you needed to do and know about your job.
Co-workers They was very good to work around and with them lost of cross training.
The hardest part of the job/ is to have to go to the shop manager to get something done over and over again just to get every thing done.
The most enjoyable part of the job. Is to know that you know the job very good and it was a good thing that other location call for your help not the shop manager.
Terrible management and very unfair
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: managment and the backwards overtime.
I worked there for 3 months management had there favorites. Also I did a two man job for one mans pay. All they care about is partying at college football games. Management had no experience and was hired because they were drinking buddies with the district manager.
management is awful
Front End Loader Operator (Current Employee), Rainier, WASeptember 20, 2014
Pros: bbq every friday
Cons: flirty with employees, only hires her friends, favoritism to her friends, only comes out to the yard if her boss shows up, you will get reprimanded on things you did not even do.
I work for waste connections 5 years and enjoyed the first two year then after that it went all down hill. If you are not good friends with the boss and didn't do activities with her after work then you were treated terrible. You would be picked on on a daily basis. The boss would allow her friends to take up to a hr up to two hr breaks and lunches and would be fine with that while trucks would be waiting to get loaded. The boss would put on a big show though when the bigger bosses would show up. An employee could do the same exact things in the yard as her friends would do but you would be the one who gets reprimanded if you were not her close friend even if you went above and beyond. Hopefully someday corporate will see this. Facts are facts.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Rep/Office Receptionist (Former Employee), Riverton, WYSeptember 16, 2014
Good job and people to work with and it made the days go by pretty quick. Got to know good people
I liked my job.
Mechanic/Driver (Former Employee), Commerce City, COSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: wc gave us free t-shirts for work.
When I was with Waste Connections, we had a good team and worked together well.
poor management and favortism towards certain empooyees
maintenance manager (Former Employee), mccall idahoAugust 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything else
Poorly operated, worked 50 to 70 hrs a week salaried and that wasnt enough for the site manager. They want you to put the company first and your personal life second. Coworkers were awesome for the most part. Benefits were great, pay was descent. If you smoke, drink, and love guns you will be a favorite and youll get away with almost anything.
Terrible company to work for.
Roll off driver (Current Employee), Hutchinson, KSAugust 5, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: pay, benefits, management
They promise a sign-on bonus but it gets paid in small portions. Management is horrible, very moody, cursed at employees often. Pay is very low. They messed up the insurance so my dependants were dropped.
challanging mentaly and physicaly ,over all verry enjoyable.
container delivery (Former Employee), Duncan, OKJuly 7, 2014
Pros: mentaly challenging, time flew by
Cons: sometimes verry hectic.
a typical day included lineing out my objectives for the day,repos in morning,repairs and painting mid day,deliverys in the afternoons.
working at WCC
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), fife wahingtonJune 26, 2014
Was a great place great staff and much to learn they have many new things to learn from
NOT a "great place to work anymore" as the company promotes
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Sedalia, ColoradoJune 6, 2014
Pros: opportunity to work with great co-workers who were knowledgable and skilled and their jobs, i learned a lot.
Cons: poor management and poor equipment
Placing and compacting trash, hauling dirt for cover, grading side slopes and maintaining haul roads. NO OPINIONS INCLUDED - JUST FACTS: I learned that a multi million dollar company cares less about it's employees than their equipment and the equipment is purchased used, wornout and dilapidated. They appear to offer benefits that really are trivial while expecting work to be completed without providing adequate equipment to get the job done. In the great scheme of things,they spend minimal amounts of finances to keep the equipment working. When there is equipment failure management is quick to call it "operator error". When in fact it is "worn out" used equipment purchased to SAVE money. The co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was working with management that knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the tasks of working a landfill and was more interested in letting you know WHO WAS BOSS. If the employee is not a "YES MAN" he will be eliminated. The most enjoyable part of the job was .... LEAVING. Their equipment is a JOKE, (you get sent home because the equipment is broke down) their safety practices are a JOKE and their immediate field management is a JOKE. The sad thing about it is .. it used to be a great place to work and could be again but UNLESS and UNTIL upper management pulls their head out of the sand, stops pretending everything is OK and gets back in the game, it is going to get worse. Putting unqualified leadership in charge is NOT working. I did not leave because I was forced out like others .... I left because I saw what was happening to others and was very disappointed to see what the company had become.