Waste Connections Employee Reviews in United States

Its hard on the body but pays bills, dangerous
Rear load Driver (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 6, 2016
HR and management do not care about the employee at all. They just need a seat warmer and treat you like it. Most expensive outfit in town yet pay the least. Drive cams have great uses but are abused by management to punish rather than coach or praise. If someone irritates the boss expect to get an earful. Management doesn't care rather or not you do a good job. If he doesn't like you, you won't have a job before the end of your 90 day. Otherwise, it's consistent work and fairly reliable hours. Good luck making your 90 days and getting your benefits. Like the management said, "If you dont like how things are here leave, theres the f***ing door! I've got 30 f***ing applications on my desk and I don't need any of you!"
Pros
Solid hours/ot
Cons
Require meal breaks unpaid, subject to weather conditions, drive cams can get you 3 day suspensions for anything management feels, dangerous.
ok place to work
transfer station operator (Current Employee) –  TennesseeApril 6, 2016
The primary strength of working with Waste Connections is knowing I will have my position tomorrow, a year from now, or even long. Even if everyone tried to recycle more than they currently do, I will still have a job. There are many things people throw away, because they no longer need/want it, or no longer works for its purpose. The worst part of working with Waste Connections is the hourly wage , and career advancement within the company. This is a dead end job with job security. You cannot connect with your future because there is no future in this company. I've been with this company for 9 years with the promise of good pay and advancement. As of now the company has failed to meet their promises. A positive about the company is that my co-workers and i are like family. From the time I started to now, my work load has increased but not the compensation. If you are looking for steady work with minimum hourly wage, Waste connections is the place to work. In my personal opinion, this company should pay more considering they are in the fortune 500. It shouldn't matter what district/location.
Pros
job security
Cons
pay, advancement
Outstanding people
preventive maintenance mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fife, WaSeptember 29, 2015
A safety first culture, caring and invested co-workers and outstanding management. Best infrastructure and support I have been around from the shift lead to regional manager. The company truly cares about the health and well being of it's employees. There are numerous benefits at Waste Connections that are not a typical in the industry. Communication is at the forefront and tremendous respect is given to each employee. The culture on the shop floor is one of growth and development. No co-worker has ever been too busy to assist or offer help when needed. Top of the line shop equipment that improves the safety and ease of performing the job/tasks. This is by far the best I have ever been treated by an employer. The one negative is that there are simply not enough mechanics to handle the workload. This results in a lot of overtime which affects work/life balance negatively. The pay is also below industry standard but the volume of overtime compensates for that.
Pros
culture, management, co-workers, training, safety, cleanliness, perks
Cons
overtime- life/work balance, less than industry standard pay
Great pay and benefits but no life..always working.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 30, 2016
I really love my job but I'm also not married and have no kids. I work 60 hours a week and start at 1AM. Communication is poor and you're always getting a new manager..don't bother trying to remember names.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
This was a good place to work with a lot of great people. Throughout the years met and worked for some great people. Able to work with a trusted work ethics, the bosses trusted you to do your job in a timely and safe manner. Felt like you were your own boss representing the company in a professional manner.
Pros
Great insurance benefits
Cons
long hours, sometimes hard labor on the body
Waste Connections provided me a great job for 2 years.
Level II Technician (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CANovember 21, 2015
For my company I was responsible for preforming preventative maintenance, as well as light engine work for our fleet of 13 garbage trucks. In that time I learned how to preform my various tasks in a professional safe manner. I really appreciate how my managers made me feel like a part of the Waste Connections family. Each day I looked forward to working with my supportive co-workers. The hardest part of my job was taking constructive criticism and using it to perfect my technique. At the end of the day I enjoyed thinking about what I was able to learn while helping my company further our goals.
Pros
Full benifits and learning oppretunits.
Cons
I had to work far away from my home town.
"A wasted connection"
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 8, 2016
Don't even think about these ppl are not for their employees. A typical day is getting 100-200 calls abt the driver not picking up the trash or the recyclables. Management is the worst team I've ever experienced. They never see your right only your wrong. And fire employees with no particular reason stating "failed the introductory period"
Pros
Cons
Management, drivers not servicing routes properly
a decent place to work i learned how to run a roll off truck and how to get around the oil field
Driver / Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMMarch 2, 2016
it was a decent place to work for three and a half years I was satisfied where I was with me management team and liked my coworkers. but in the end very stressful about weather I would have a job from day to day. I still showed up and gave my all until the day I was laid off
Horrible Job!!!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEMay 9, 2016
I gave my all to this company for almost 3 yrs & got kicked in the teeth with a stupid reason for termination. I loved the job as long as I was off the property. But the drama,poor management and the lack of fixing the truck correctly drives ya absolutely crazy. The way they treat the people that are making THEM the money is not right. I watched so many fellow employees be treated so bad. They always make you feel like you are wrong. It seemed like the more I cared the more they would knock me down. But I stayed because the customers that I developed an acquaintance with meant a lot to me. But they let go of me for doing a good deed and did not care a bit.
Pros
lots of hours!!
Cons
the whole company!
Customer driven company.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, KYJanuary 28, 2016
Good customer relations and customer service. Enjoyed serving the public and daily interactions with the public. Work atmosphere is employee oriented. No room for advancement since it is a small company.
Okay work place
Preventative Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  OklahomaAugust 4, 2015
Long days, 12-15 hours a day. I furthered my knowledge in mechanics. Co- workers where okay. Hardest part of this job was dealing with management, that shop had two people going regional so if there was a problem they did not want to deal with it in fear of loosing their promotion.
Pros
Working at night
Cons
No time with family
Interesting Place to Work
Data Entry / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 3, 2015
Typical day: fast-pace, positive environment, always looking for places to improve work quality

Management is good.

Coworkers are good.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, raffles, drawings... really cool company parties
Cons
High stress with call center
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Ada, OKAugust 16, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Worst Management EVER!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCSeptember 19, 2015
They have terrible management! Look under MONROE God Bless the USA, Inc. (GBUSA) on BBB, they have a F rating. They do not care anything about customers needs nor their employees . All the management is interested in is the Transfer Station that is being built. BEWARE!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, low pay, unfair to customers/employees
Outgrown
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 9, 2016
I outgrew management. There was nothing left to learn from them. Job/Life balance was non-existant. Often times, I was asked to place my job before prior engagements with my family.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Stressful enviroment
Not a good place to work for
driver (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORDecember 13, 2015
Be prepared to work for a company where you are always told what a bad worker you are. If you go out of your way to do a good jo it goes unnoticed. Favoritism is another thing. If you're not on their favorite list of people you'll get screwed every time. everyone talks bad about each other and definitely not a team work environment
Good place to work and learn.
Journeyman Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 24, 2016
Started out really good and gained lots of knowledge and then after some years it slows down and to move up you have to move out.
Great place to learn new skills.
It's a good job for this state
Driver (Current Employee) –  MississippiApril 22, 2015
Pay is different for different routes and some get paid way more than others. Raises aren't much but bonus is ok. Not many jobs in this area can pay this.
Pros
home at night
Cons
long hours lower pay
A learning Experience
Sales Consultant/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston TXDecember 9, 2014
Learned to identify and communicate with different levels of management, negotiate sales/contracts, communicate efficiently with various depts to resolve customers service requests.Learned the importance of communication and follow up. I enjoyed building relationships with my customers/co-workers and the benefits that came from it. Wearing the hat of Account Mgr/Retention/Billing/Sales Consultant could be a bit overwhelming at times.
Pros
great health benefits and the flexibility to work from home.
Cons
no car allowance/fuel card. a lot of turn around in management/sales dept.
decent pay for work harder than it needs to be.
Recycling attendant (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAFebruary 12, 2014
I worked at a recycling center cashing out customers for CRV bottles and cans. The work will keep you occupied but some days will be so busy that your ability to complete tasks would be impossible without cutting corners as the workload can sometimes be just too much for a single offsite employee. The pay was quiet excellent and benefits were nice as well, though opportunity for advancement was out of the question, to advance I was told I would have to take a pay cut and start over in an alternate position within the company!

Co-worker relationships consisted of saying hello at clock in at the MRF and goodnight at Clock out at the end of the day.

Hours were solid at 40 hours, 5 days a week.

Management was decent though constant reminders were needed over and over again for needed supplies. For example scales were off balance for months cutting customers pay-outs short until W&M finally came and shut down our centers near the end of the work day. In all my time I never revived an actual review of my performance, outside of casual conversation saying "You're doing a good job."