Waste Connections Employee Reviews

Don't waist your time
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 28, 2016
Not a good company to work for, they don't promote from within but they will tell you during the interview that they do. It's a lie!!!! Equipment/trucks break down all the time. Management is the worst most and most unprofessional place ever worked for.
Pros
It's a job
Newer employee
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 12, 2016
I have only been with the company a few months and there have been a lot of changes but overall everyone is trying to work through things and push the company in a positive direction. There are a lot of challenges which is great and the executives are fantastic to work for; open door policy, easy to talk to, etc.
Pros
Challenging, great executives
Cons
Too many people get involved with things that they don't need to
Waste Connections provided me a great job for 2 years.
Level II Technician (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CANovember 21, 2015
For my company I was responsible for preforming preventative maintenance, as well as light engine work for our fleet of 13 garbage trucks. In that time I learned how to preform my various tasks in a professional safe manner. I really appreciate how my managers made me feel like a part of the Waste Connections family. Each day I looked forward to working with my supportive co-workers. The hardest part of my job was taking constructive criticism and using it to perfect my technique. At the end of the day I enjoyed thinking about what I was able to learn while helping my company further our goals.
Pros
Full benifits and learning oppretunits.
Cons
I had to work far away from my home town.
Terrible
Residential Driver (Former Employee) –  Alvin, TXMarch 6, 2017
Great guys to work with supervisor was awesome. But regional supervisor talked you up and if one thing doesn't go his way he wants to shove you out the door. Any accident you get in rather even if police declare it not your fault the company turns it around on you and you get suspended without pay.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything but pay.
Was a great place to work
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2017
I've never quit a job. I've only ever quit managers. Life was good with the previous District managers but then we got a guy from progressive waste and he ruined the culture
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
This was a good place to work with a lot of great people. Throughout the years met and worked for some great people. Able to work with a trusted work ethics, the bosses trusted you to do your job in a timely and safe manner. Felt like you were your own boss representing the company in a professional manner.
Pros
Great insurance benefits
Cons
long hours, sometimes hard labor on the body
Poor leaders
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Sebastian, FLDecember 6, 2016
Very unorganized, needs better leaders and management, drivers are more worried about theirselfs than the helpers on the back, wouldn't consider any new ideas or possibilities from helpers
Outstanding people
preventive maintenance mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fife, WaSeptember 29, 2015
A safety first culture, caring and invested co-workers and outstanding management. Best infrastructure and support I have been around from the shift lead to regional manager. The company truly cares about the health and well being of it's employees. There are numerous benefits at Waste Connections that are not a typical in the industry. Communication is at the forefront and tremendous respect is given to each employee. The culture on the shop floor is one of growth and development. No co-worker has ever been too busy to assist or offer help when needed. Top of the line shop equipment that improves the safety and ease of performing the job/tasks. This is by far the best I have ever been treated by an employer. The one negative is that there are simply not enough mechanics to handle the workload. This results in a lot of overtime which affects work/life balance negatively. The pay is also below industry standard but the volume of overtime compensates for that.
Pros
culture, management, co-workers, training, safety, cleanliness, perks
Cons
overtime- life/work balance, less than industry standard pay
Eh
Corporate Employee (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXFebruary 14, 2017
There is a lot of hype about the company and how great they are but if you don't play by their rules...game's over. The field positions and people are awesome...corporate needs some work.
Pros
Field folks are great, travel time if you like that
Cons
No room for error, no benefit of the doubt
would rather not give a rating
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houma, LAJanuary 12, 2017
I would rather not give a review at this time as my opinions are skewed by recent experiences and would not be considered professional nor would they be acceptable.
Pros
Non to mention
Cons
None to mention

Want to know more about Waste Connections?

Ask a question
Ok workplace
Front Load Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COSeptember 11, 2016
not really a lot of room for growth and management is not strong, equipment is not updated or progressive I do like starting early in the morning and getting done mid day your are always over the DOT hour threshold.
Pros
sign on bouns
Cons
everything
its work
Preventive Maintenance/ Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  South Cairo, NYSeptember 30, 2016
poor management of staffing lead to burnout. pay is ok, lots of overtime available. Low staffing, low inventory and high breaking rate lead to worker frustration.
Pros
overtime
Cons
burnout
Residential Driver (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 22, 2017
I loved my job I didn't love the hours but we were trash and recycle drivers giving service to the city of Frisco Texas so it was time consuming and we had to help the slower drivers finish their routes
good company
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 22, 2016
Waste connections has a positive culture. they are very customer oriented and provide excellent service. their training programs are top of the line.
They have very productive work days .
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 21, 2017
Their are a great garbage company to work for abt their very supportive. Their truck are good working trucks and the workers are fun and great helpers.
Horrible Job!!!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEMay 9, 2016
I gave my all to this company for almost 3 yrs & got kicked in the teeth with a stupid reason for termination. I loved the job as long as I was off the property. But the drama,poor management and the lack of fixing the truck correctly drives ya absolutely crazy. The way they treat the people that are making THEM the money is not right. I watched so many fellow employees be treated so bad. They always make you feel like you are wrong. It seemed like the more I cared the more they would knock me down. But I stayed because the customers that I developed an acquaintance with meant a lot to me. But they let go of me for doing a good deed and did not care a bit.
Pros
lots of hours!!
Cons
the whole company!
A learning Experience
Sales Consultant/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston TXDecember 9, 2014
Learned to identify and communicate with different levels of management, negotiate sales/contracts, communicate efficiently with various depts to resolve customers service requests.Learned the importance of communication and follow up. I enjoyed building relationships with my customers/co-workers and the benefits that came from it. Wearing the hat of Account Mgr/Retention/Billing/Sales Consultant could be a bit overwhelming at times.
Pros
Great health benefits and the flexibility to work from home.
Cons
No car allowance/Fuel card. A lot of turn around in Management/Sales Dept.
decent pay for work harder than it needs to be.
Recycling attendant (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAFebruary 12, 2014
I worked at a recycling center cashing out customers for CRV bottles and cans. The work will keep you occupied but some days will be so busy that your ability to complete tasks would be impossible without cutting corners as the workload can sometimes be just too much for a single offsite employee. The pay was quiet excellent and benefits were nice as well, though opportunity for advancement was out of the question, to advance I was told I would have to take a pay cut and start over in an alternate position within the company!

Co-worker relationships consisted of saying hello at clock in at the MRF and goodnight at Clock out at the end of the day.

Hours were solid at 40 hours, 5 days a week.

Management was decent though constant reminders were needed over and over again for needed supplies. For example scales were off balance for months cutting customers pay-outs short until W&M finally came and shut down our centers near the end of the work day. In all my time I never revived an actual review of my performance, outside of casual conversation saying "You're doing a good job."
Productive good attitude good safe environment
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Brookings, ORJuly 21, 2016
GReat Place to work and grow into many careers and other oppertunitys, great family oreanted all around, and they took good care of their employees and employees family needs.
Pros
insurance, meals at safety meetings
Cons
sometimes the weather lol
good place to work if you like boring jobs and bad management
Driver Trainee (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 21, 2016
boring, robotic, monotonous, and management doesnt have any idea what they are doing. they just want to please the people above them. dont care how they screw the people below them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Connections. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8