Waste Management Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,496 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun/social workplace.
Major Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 3, 2016
Waste Management is a great company to work for. The people working there are honest and transparent. The management style is good, however, sometimes managers are overloaded with to many people to manage under them. Co-workers are helpful and will assist if help is needed. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all of the re-tape associated with billing errors to resolution. Over all, WM is a flexible company to work for that cares about it's people.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Healthcare, good benifits
Cons
Outdated routing and billing systems made admin functions difficult
Productive and collaborative company to build a career
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 26, 2015
My day to day operations are within the Contingent Labor Program at Waste Management. I assist with coordinating moving parts of multiple projects and the administrative responsibilities that accompany those projects. I work with a team that is very proactive towards achieving the results as specified by our business leaders / partners. The most challenging and rewarding experience of my job is trying to keep the status of the projects updated, which turns out to be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Independent work space, Holiday Luncheons, Social Gatherings and the occasional office celebrations
Cons
As a contractor I do not experience the full benefits as an employee
Great company to work for.
Assistant to Senior District Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 7, 2016
I love working for Waste Management. It's a very good company to work for. We have many safety rules and guidelines to go by. I work with 4 locations and I have a very good relationship with everyone. My manager, mechanics and office people work well together and communicate.
I have learned how to input warranty claims.
My work day is enter fuel and hours for all the fleet. Enter lubes that was used, close work orders, give PO#'s, get invoices, send in signed invoices to A/P and answer phone calls.
I order parts and put parts up. I do inventories for 4 locations.
Benefits
Cons
Only off for 3 Holidays.
If you like being babysat, this is the job for you....
Roll Off Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHMarch 28, 2016
So, the pay was decent, even though the raises are a complete joke. And the benefits are great and VERY cheap for the employee, but they have cameras in EVERY VEHICLE called Drive Cam. Every time there is a sharp turn, or a huge bump in the road, or a hard brake, and it records you. And then you get called into the office and are "coached" on driving better. I couldn't stand that. I'm an adult, and would like to be treated as such. But the overtime is fantastic if you like working. I enjoyed that the most. However, you are just a number at such a large company and they treat you that way. It's a shame, but that's the way it is. Another huge setback with this company is that the equipment (trucks) which are Macks, are very old, and didn't ride well at all. And they were always breaking, so you had to deal the the mechanics. And the majority were not happy. They were completely miserable. So you had to deal with them directly when something went wrong. I was there for nearly 3 years. I wouldn't go back. Management are kiss ups, and loved to look over your shoulder. It's a terrible environment if you don't like being babysat. It's such a shame.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Old trucks breaking often, not user friendly (Macks)
safety driven environment
Residential Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Glenwillow, OHJanuary 27, 2016
Productive and people environment. I learned a lot about people management and punctuality skills. The hardest part of the job was managing routes when unexpected call offs occurred. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see staff feel rewarded for their efforts at the end of the work day.
Pros
incentive, compensation, people oriented, educational updates and training
Cons
staff shortage, incidents
The kind of job that sucks the life out of you
inbound Commercial Rep (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2015
At first this place was great. There was no micro-managing. Then the upper management was changed. Once that happened, things started to get pretty bad at a rapid pace. The morale of the entire building went down the drain. Everyone seemed to dread coming into work. As far as the compensation goes, they changed out bonus/commission plan so much. For the majority of the time those that had very low sales numbers were making much more bonus than those of us who actually had high numbers... made no sense. We also wouldn't know what our monthly goals were usually until the middle of the month. One month they changed our goals the 2nd to the last day of the month. Really??
People who would lie to their customers and not give accurate information were the ones who were getting awards and bragged on. Those were the ones that were praised by everyone.
Pros
The hours.. M-F the latest you will work is 6pm, weekly pay
Cons
Everything else
Can be a wonderful place to work
sales (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNNovember 17, 2015
Waste management can be a wonderful place to work. In my position, it requires relentless hours of effort to be successful. The work/life balance can be complicated if you have a family. I would definitely recommend this position to anyone who does not have family obligations. The compensation can be outstanding if you have the flexibility the job requires to be successful. It is a very competitive industry.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
very good company to work for
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 10, 2016
i was dispached in advance and new what to expect,i learned how the trucking bussiness worked,management are easy to work with,i learned how to use the different type of equiptment,co workers were easy to get along,lifting suff that was over the wieght limit,getting paid was the best part of the job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
having to pick up after workers who couldnt do there job
Busy and growing place to work
Setup Agent I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2016
Waste Management is a growing company with growing ideas. The job requires long hours at the computer. I love my co-workers and the beneifts.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Call Center
Co-workers are great people.
Inside Commercial Sales (Current Employee) –  Wixom, MIOctober 25, 2015
As an Inside Commercial Representative (ICR), I receive and process calls from Commercial customers and serve as the end-to-end point of contact for these customers. I'm responsible for closing new customer sales utilizing a consultative selling approach and responsible for maintaining current customers by utilizing creative problem solving and negotiation skills to resolve customer issues. Additionally, I handle service requests and changes and act as the customer's focal point to maintain strong customer relationships. I also offer, quote, and close prospective customer sales using knowledge of Waste Management products and services. This includes cross selling new products and services to existing customers by educating them on Waste Management environmental solutions. As an ICR, I collaborate with members of my team to meet overall call center objectives and enhance the customer service experience while working to exceed every customer's expectation.
Pros
Free lunches, clean environment, healthcare, dental and 401k
Cons
short breaks and lunches, outdated IT, numbers more important than customers.
Gas Technician I (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NHMarch 14, 2016
Competitive pay, good schedules, great benefits and job security.
Get along great with co-workers
Best part of the job is getting out of work at 4.
Great Place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE II (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLApril 5, 2016
Waste Management is an excellent company to work for. The benefits are also great I would definitely recommend this company to anyone.
productive
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hobe Sound, FLMarch 7, 2016
picking up trash all day,learned to drive a trash truck,management were mean,co-workers good people,hardest thing of the job was the tiredness after work,money was good
benefits
Cons
heavy work
Driver Check in.
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 4, 2015
I was the only person checking in drivers in the second highest volume yard in the district. Highly efficient and proficient at my job. Always maintained the highest level of accuracy. Management had a low level of knowledge of day to day activities of drivers and dispatcher. Drivers are difficult after a twelve hour day of driving.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Management lack of any skills.
Constant Change
Dispatcher Combo (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSApril 4, 2016
The company overall is a great company to work for. The pace is quick and the knowledge sharing is great. The coworkers are nice and the benefits are awesome.
Pros
Great pay and great benefits
Cons
Constant Change, Varying hours and jobs
A great place to gain experience. Poor communication and no upward growth. Very poor management.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 27, 2015
Excellent coworkers but poor management. We experienced a great loss of customers due to lack of communication and business skills among senior management. Good security within the company, but no chance of advancement. The company runs a rundown fleet of trucks and equipment with no upgrades foreseeable.
Pros
Good security within the company, great place to gain experience.
Cons
Raises are lacking, poor communication, no chance for advancements.
I liked working for this company, but they expect a lot of time invested
Operations Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 19, 2015
I worked here for one year in an operational management trainee program and am pleased overall with my experience. My boss took my professional development goals seriously, and I was given many opportunities to prove my value. When I did good work, kudos were given. When I made a mistake, I was given patience and a lesson learned was the focus.

I will say this, you will have no work/life balance. I'm not sure if thats a real thing (at least in corporate america), but all levels of management and support put in at least 50 hours a week. What started as 10 hour days, crept up to 11,12, 13, and even 14 hour days. Thats what pushed me away. The salary and benefits were nice, along with the professional develoment. But, anyone who has worked longer than a year is noticeably burned-out and frustrated.
Pros
Good starting salary, work culture, and opportunities
Cons
60+ hour work weeks the norm, not the exception
Great People to Work with, Laid back environment
Senior Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GASeptember 10, 2015
Very fast-paced and you must be flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping employees' understand their benefits so they can make good choices for themselves and their families. There is a lot of variety in what I do each day. You are exposed to different departments to get your job done, so learning new things are always an option.
Pros
flexible work schedule, great benefits
Cons
Leadership does not invest in building their management team. Reactive and not proactive.
Stressfull workplace
Outside Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2016
Company takes care of its employees. Good Benefits and time off policies. Pay does not correspond with work. The job that I do is all contract based.
Pros
As long as you make your number you can work from anywhere
Cons
Not much upward movement.
Professional, fun and educational scene
Team Lead -Sr. National Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTAugust 5, 2015
A days work can be typical and little routine but never really is. You always participate in projects, learn new skills and assist co-workers with tasks.
I have learn a great deal of things about, team build, managing employees and project management.
The most enjoyable part for me at this job is that i am dealing with numbers most of the part but have enough interaction with the clients that allows me to learn more and more every day. The department I am in evolves with all other departments and we consider our department the "gate keepers" of information before the client sees it.
Pros
good benefits, fun environment, possibilities