Waste Management Employee Reviews

Found 1,891 reviews matching the search
working conditions in Maimi
Waste Management (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 3, 2017
worked 6 days a week doing miscellaneous jobs as needed with machinery. The first shift started at 3:30 am with 2 men until 7am then the rest of our crew came in . Lunch was for a hour you took that in shifts as the trash never stopped coming. at the end of the day you was required to cover the trash with dirt and where you started the next morning we would place a tarp over it to prevent smell and wind from blowing the trash away. There was always methane gas present which took a man every day mentoring it and keeping it under control which was always a fire hazard.
Pros
good steady working enviorment
Cons
no cons just do your work as required
IT was an okay job
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMarch 16, 2017
On a typical day this job was quiet easy. During my time there i did not learn much other than what the company uses to make money what was valuable and what was not. The manager i worked for was a really good guy but when it came to the supervisors we had one guy who would threaten the employees by literally getting so close you cold smell what he had for breakfast also the other employees would not help with your job and explain what exactly you were suppose to be doing instead they would report you and get the other employee fired i witnessed this a few times. The job was simple so i cannot say there was a hard part of the job.
Pros
the pay was exellent
Cons
the people treated you like the trash you picked
Stay Away
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYFebruary 24, 2017
In the summer you will work 12-14hrs a day. In the winter you will be forced to use vacation or personal days because they are so slow. Management is absolutely horrible. They only staff 2 day time mechanics so nothing ever gets fixed unless its shipped to an offsite mechanic. Any issue that comes up throughout the day is ignored, or passed to someone else by the route manager.
If that doesnt turn you off to working there, they made the saturday driver work the day of his brothers funeral. Stay far away from this site.
Pros
nothing
Cons
bad management, long hours, inept mechanics
Regular Work Day
Refuse Collector Senior (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 6, 2017
The typical day at my sons usually is what you make of it. You never know exactly what time time to get off that day so you just go with the flow. The guys there are usually a get along gang. we work our butts off and just look forward to going home after a hard day. Inspire of what may seem to go wrong you just make sure you do your job.
Pros
going home early (sometimes)still getting your 10 hours, seeing different people, interacting with kids, 3 days off
Cons
working in all weather, raises
recycle driver
Resident Recycle Collector (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2017
arrive at work look at the schedule it changes look for what route I am going to be driving and what truck I am going to be using
Look at the map, grab the tablet that is assigned to the truck.

Attended the meeting for the day. as a group we go out and started our pretrip when finished we leave the office for our assigned route.

The route are set up to hustle all day. we really don't take breaks.
the hardest part of the this job we have to repeatedly lift heavy stuff.

the most enjoyable part I get to enjoy the weather, I don't have to go to the gym to work out.
Hard work but probably pays off
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Skagit County, WAMarch 20, 2017
I retired from the company with 22 years of work. Started out on a recycling truck and after 3 years got a garbage route. This was a pay increase because of the lifting and bigger routes. Safety is job one and is stressed every day at morning safety meeting. (Which not everyone is required to attend) If someone is required to start earlier than everyone else the just come in at the end of the route and sign the attendance sheet which will make it okay. That way they are in compliance with rules that are for ALL the drivers.
Pros
Pay, insurance, healthcare, vacation time
Cons
Short breaks(between stops) short lunches, supervisors who like to ride your back to go faster, also poor equipment to work with
Great place to work!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAMarch 11, 2017
I worked at the Waste Management office as temporary help. I loved the work, as was able to help people all over Visalia. The drivers and office staff were all friendly. If you want a work place were your made to feel like part of a team/family atmosphere this is the place. Everyone works hard, from office staff,management, and especially the drivers, to the fellows who wash out the trash bins. I would absolutely love to work here on a permanent basis.
Recyler/Material Handler
Recyler/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSFebruary 15, 2017
Clock in then set up all 12 boxes used to sort companies waste. I check two baler to make sure that they are functional to operate. Make sure balers are set up properly to start the day.I would do area walk through to make sure everythings in proper place. I set up carts for picking area waste. I would then start process of picking area waste throughout the plant then bring it back for sorting.
Pros
Make it fun by going different routes each time
Cons
Same daily process
Work environment
Customer Care Representativ (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 15, 2017
Overall I'm very satisfied with Waste Management as a company. I really enjoy helping people as I did on a daily basis help customers get their issues resolved and provide excellent customer service.

The workplace culture was one of enjoyment everyone were always willing to help whenever needed. The hardest part of the job for me was having to assist those very irate customers that used profanity and nothing I said would calm the situation.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being apart of the Waste Management team.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Just irate customers
WM is a scam company
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAMarch 7, 2017
I worked there for 3 months. Then I found out they have two escalators in the fine print on the back of their contract and a escalator of CPI plus 6%. It looks like a 3 year contract but you have to cancel 90-180 days before expiration. This produced increase of 10 to 15% per year. A total rip off.

I was embarrassed to work for this company and quit. If you have any ethics or moral compass you shouldn't work for Waste Management.
Cons
Unethical
waste managment review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wixom, MIFebruary 9, 2017
I liked working at waste management and would still be working there if I hadn't relocated last year. they had great benefits. they care about there employee's. perfect hours of operations. The worst thing about working there is learning there system but that is something that you will catch on to with practice. I also liked there rate of pay. and there management team. I would defiantly recommend this job to others.
Pros
rate of pay, hours of operation, benifits
Cons
customers
Challenging
Inside Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 6, 2017
A great culture and great fellow employees in a call center scenario. Very challenging - nearly 67 counties with different requirements/options for waste management in an open market and or franchise city/county. Supervision was supportive, really cared about helping employees, working together to accomplish challenging issues - and that was important - the realization by supervision that our challenges were real, and helping our new staff for this market in Phoenix to flourish.
Pros
Good support, benefits
Cons
Challenging work
customer service job is horrible
Residential Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLMarch 6, 2017
I would never recommend this company to anyone. They play favorites, there is a lot of backstabbing. They only care about work, and not about family life. They make you feel as if they are being inconvenienced if you are forced to miss work. They made budget cuts every year, and fired people at the same time every year. It was not an enjoyable work environment
Pros
Cons
bad work environment nothing good here
Waste Management is a good company.
Residential driver (Former Employee) –  Louisburg, KSFebruary 16, 2017
I worked for them for 2 years and 7 months. The benefits are unbeatable and pay is good. I only left the company because HR sucks at handling issues with management. L & K in Louisburg, Kansas is ran by a small minded management who don't help you advance like they should. They will either make you quit or fire you if you don't jump on the mom and pop band wagon.
Pros
Lots of opportunity
Cons
Small sites ran by old management
Not the best place to work
Inside Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2017
Very micro-management ran. Worst company I have every worked for. No compassion for employees or their lives outside of work at all. Customers really dislike this company and share that with you very openly. Based on how employees are treated, it's not hard to see why. The only upside was that the compensation was good at the time, and budgets were decently easy to obtain in terms of earning commissions.
Amazing journey
Waste Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 23, 2017
Great experience, Senior leadership lead's by example everyday no matter the task or hurdles that may develope along the way.
all new employees can benifit from the contagious positive work ethics and approch created and on display ,no matter what your experiences or life accomplishment's team and family is of the up most importance .there is a unified desire to build and nurture positive and professional working relationship's as well as contagious commitment to give back to the community every time we get a chance.
Cons
.very long days
more rules than common sense.
Trash and Recycle Driver (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMarch 13, 2017
This company has zero tolerance for mistakes, which is difficult when you are human. Cameras in truck are more distraction than help.Pay is low for physical and professional rule demands that are extremely difficult for dedicated workers to follow. Kind of a round room where supervisors ask you to find corners.
Pros
medical
Cons
poor upper management skills, too many rules that defy common sense.
I Loved My Job!!
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 2, 2017
I loved my Job, I learned a lot. I would get to work before the sun rose and leave when the sun was setting 5 to 6days a week. I cared about what I was doing and in some way I thought they cared about us, but I was wrong. your just another #. There was such a good mixture of people from all different back grounds. But No Job security. So everyone would try to through others under a bus and blame the weakest person for it because they would not stick up for them selves. They did not want to make waves. The hardest was dealing with management. They see what is going on and turn to attack the weak with everyone else. The most enjoyable part of the Job was knowing at the end of the day you did everything you could. And that self pride I took in the work I did meant a lot.
bad supervisor
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Ault, COJanuary 22, 2017
I felt harassed most of the time, supervisor stalks you on your route, has no problem making your day harder, then wonders why it takes you longer. your on camera while you drive, no smoking, no eating, no drinking liquid (not alcohol) obviously. your lunch was up to you to take and i felt like my work load was so enormous and heavy that i was too stressed to stop take a break, or eat lunch, i developed a appetite sup resent disorder just from working there for 9 months.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short break, no trust, they restrict you at 50 hours, never over 60 in a week.
Waste Management is a great company. I learned so much about the solid waste industry.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXJanuary 16, 2017
I would love to work for this company again. I highly recommend Waste Management to anyone who is looking to work for a solid company.
While employed I learned about the sizes of all containers that could be used for various purposes.
At Waste Management I delivered full dumpsters to landfills for proper disposal.
Pros
Great benefits; great time home daily; ability to exhibit professionalism and communicatiom
Cons
Working in incliment wheather.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Management. Our community is ready to answer.