Waste Management
1,297 reviews

Waste Management Employee Reviews

Fast Paced
Operations Manager (Current Employee), PAMay 26, 2015
This industry is tougher than most understand. If you are able to keep up and continue to drive for success the company will eventually provide you a path. The key to success starts with you.
It was okay for a starter job
Call Service Rep., The Connection (Current Employee), Loves Park, Il.May 23, 2015
Pros: semi okay hours
Cons: harassment
This job was alright the management wasn't always equal but I was harassed when working there and It took awhile for them to move me.
Large warehouse facility
Laborer (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 23, 2015
Where you worked was based off a daily cycle where a certain day determined where you worked and what responsibility you held in the workplace. Working there I learned the basic required skills for waste management which was how to clean out the carts. The management there was respectable, the manager was a good leader/motivator. My fellow colleagues were decent people who made decent workers. The most challenging part of the job was cleaning on top of the rail cars. Along side its difficulty it was the most enjoyable part of my day because it kept me occupied.
Interesting job
Driver/Hopper (Former Employee), Tupelo, MSMay 20, 2015
A typical day is an early start picking up waste cans and unloading the truck. Its interesting to see all area of the city.
Virtual
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Onsite) (Former Employee), virtualMay 20, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
It is great I enjoy working there. I have worked many different projects with them. I recommend this company to everyone. They come highly recommended.
A place very you have many opportunities
Billing Clerk/ Trainer (Former Employee), Pompano Beach, FLMay 19, 2015
Pros: Company like to try to train the employees, company spend money in training
Cons: Many hours
Proceeding daily billing, researching for any billing discrepancies. Send statements and assist customer with any inquiries
fun workplace, competitive, and great environment
inside sales rep (Former Employee), phoenix, azMay 19, 2015
typical day would be taking around 80-100 calls a day, being professionally courteous and also being able to offer services an sales of products, compensation and bonuses drive work
Improved Operational processes & safety metrics
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAMay 19, 2015
Pros: safety culture and hard working people
Cons: long work days that lead to safety concerns
Typical day started at 4:30am or 5:00am and went till about 6:30pm which had a constant focus on operational performance and safety. WM is truly focused on safety and I worked hard to support this core value and company culture. The driver safety training I received and provided to new drivers was valuable and results driven.

There is a lot of turn-over in district and senior managers, I had three district managers within 8 months including myself as an active manager for months which was excellent experience, but added to the work day usually until 7:30pm or weekends. The work day duration was a large negative aspect of working at WM.

The Cedar Rapids site was smaller and as a result received older equipment to provide customer service, this made it hard to provide trucks that ran and reliable service to many customers.
Great college job
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMay 18, 2015
I really enjoyed this job throughout my college career. It was very tough to think of myself continuing with the retail side after college. Would love to work in their corporate office though, the upper management I had the pleasure to work with were awesome!
Great Company to work for - the hours given are amazing
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Commerce, CAMay 18, 2015
Pros: everything ! benefits, hours, people !
great environment ! managers and teams are amazing people - very friendly , very professional .
answering calls all day ; assisting customers with orders or issues with their accounts .
Great place to work loved working with employee across the country
Accountant II (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 18, 2015
Pros: Vendor lunches and meeting people you talk to on the phone.
Cons: Stress at close
First thing was to check to see if my AP person needed help with AP keying in PeopleSoft AP System. Invoices from field had a 24 hr. turn around. I may key couple hours to help her get caught up. Check e-mail and phone calls answer any question that came in. I would prepare to add assets in the PeopleSoft Asset Management System. Verify I had proof of delivery from field. Code with asset information needed to add. Verify that the cost in the PeopleSoft GL System was correct. Pull cost from PeopleSoft Project Cost System and add the asset.

Management was always supportive to me and my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was yearend close because of budgeting cost had to be entered or accrued otherwise you need to use your new year budget. Asset Management worked the holiday every year.

The most enjoyable part of the job was everything I love doing accounting work. It is in my blood 32 years of doing it and I have never gotten tried of doing it.
recycle industry
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Germantown, WIMay 18, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: hostile envirement
The facility i supervised processed over 55 tons of material a 10 hour shift.
I supervised a shift of over 50 employees.
I also was the head safety director.
Quality and Production is very important component to the business
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Windsor, CTMay 17, 2015
Typical day is taking care of a client's trash needs whether it is a empty and return, missed pickup, increase in service, empty and do not return on their containers. Our goal to insure the client is taken care of to the best of our ability. Making sure we a displaying the best feed back possible and their needs and wants are met. The hardest part of the job is multi tasking through different systems and software to make sure the request is processed properly. The most enjoyable is learning waste management business and to know how the company is operates.
semi productive and fast paced.
Roustabout- Energy Services (Current Employee), Bridgeport West VirginiaMay 15, 2015
Pros: benefits, discounts, experience
Cons: advancements, raises, little to no incentives.
All days are pretty much the same. You show up, listen to a safety brief, load the company vehicle, get in and go. You learn little of the oil and gas industry and more of the processes of cleaning up the messes within it and that's it. The management staff is excellent if you know how to get along with them, though sometimes confusing and misleading often un or misinformed adding an extra level of difficulty. Also very tight nit as 3 of them are immediate family members. The crew leads don't count as management and are like some of the co-workers but with an edge of laziness to them and a bit of false pride in their title. The co-workers are really a hit or miss on any given day, they mostly talk and act like 16yr old teenage girls that pretend to know everything, so information from them is very unreliable. some days they work other days they dig for excuses or call off. abusing their privileges and making it harder for the rest of us. The hardest part of the job would would be coping with the supervisors misinformed and confusing list of directions given to the crews to go out in work, often ending up in inconvenient last minute changes and unprepared extended work days. You do not receive raises like informed in orientation, some in the field for 4+ years still making less then 15 or 16 dollars an hour, and the only room for advancement is when someone quits or is fired and even then it's seniority or favoritism or hiring someone from outside first instead of skill level or production quality. You only get 1 day off regardless of what you were told in orientation, and sometimes – more... called in that day. The most enjoyable part of the day is the drive to and from the sites, sometimes something funny or exciting happens at the site but not often, and sometimes on break you can do things to pass time since they happen throughout the day and some are even extended. Also the personality of the supervisors is great, and if they like you they won't haggle you much and makes for an easier work environment.. This job is great for inexperienced people looking for experience or time and getting their foot in the door to move forward with other/better job opportunities. – less
This job was a great job I loved it.
Customer Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 15, 2015
Pros: The money was great.
Cons: New CEO didn't know how to manage the company. Closed down facilities.
WM promoted within and that was a great asset for everyone that worked there. I learned a lot about the trash business, recycle and contruction waste. After working in Customer service for 5 years, I was promoted to inside sales, dealing with construction, business owners and portable outdoor facilities. I learned how to provide business owners with removing their trash and dealt with roll-offs for construction sites. I made sure trash bins were delivered and worked on what type of service they needed for their business. Then most important I made sure that I completed legal contracts for that service. Customers knew they could count on me to get the right service to help with what they needed. Co-workers were great people and we enjoyed our time at work. Dealing with homeowners was the hardest part of the job, they wanted the trash picked up from their house no matter what it took. Sales was the most enjoyable part of my job. I was really motivated to make the sale because I knew my reward would be my commission check each month.
Great work enviornment!
Customer Service Representative (contract) (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2015
Pros: Cafe, work out room, dual monitors and the great supervisors.
Cons: Building temperature, doors being broken and no IT department.
A typical day in waste management consisted of arriving everyday promptly at 6 am, and providing customers with as much information about the services we are providing them. I learned where all of the trash and recycling that we use goes. I also learned the process for which it was done. My co-workers were great! They were very energetic and loving. The hardest part of the job was keeping track of the information about the services, seeing as it changed in real time. The most enjoyable part of my day was at the end when my job was completed and I had served my purpose in the company for that day.
Tough job
Gunslinger (Current Employee), Roseville, MIMay 13, 2015
This job can get tough at times due to all of the lifting of garbage that takes place.And you don't have a set time to get off of work its whenever an issue comes up or when you're done with your tasks. No set times.
Waste Management is Waste of Time = Waste of Company
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Wixom, MIMay 13, 2015
Pros: No pros
Cons: Keep track of your pay. They lie to you. Management makes threats. No training.
Waste Management is a horrible company to work for. They never trained. Management sucks. They try everything they can to make things difficult for you. They don't care. people are scared when they go into work there. My job there was simple but when I went to work there it felt wrong everyday. Management especially was rude and made threats to me everyday. Sometimes multiple times a day. I was never so happy to leave a company.
Very Productive
Trash Collector (Former Employee), Bristol, PAMay 12, 2015
The days are usually long and very tiring. I usually would work 12-14 hours a day. I would work in all different kinds of weather environments.
Operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (D9,D8,D7,Escavator Volvo (Former Employee), Baytown,txMay 6, 2015
Good money, but worked in trash so no the best smelling job i ever had for sure. Job was close to home and lots of overtime. Was glad to be away from trash.

1 2 3 4 5

About Waste Management

Waste Management is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management and environmental services in North America. We are – Read more

Waste Management Salaries

Driver
$6,000 per year
Heavy Equipment Operator
$8,000 per year
Collection Specialist
$16.50 per hour

Waste Management Photos

WM employees love engaging with and giving back to the communities they service.
A helper operating safely on the back of a residential truck in Southeast Texas
Drivers gather for a morning safety meeting. Safety is a core value with zero compromise at WM.