Waste Management
1,345 reviews

Waste Management Employee Reviews

No benefits
General Labor / Line Lead (Current Employee), Irwindale, CAJuly 1, 2015
The company is going in a different direction. no more paid holidays its always extremely hot and don't provide with fans or a schedule. be ready to work 6 days a week 10 hrs a day if you are in second shift
fun workplace
Lead Driver (Current Employee), Lake Charles, LAJune 29, 2015
waste management is a good overall company to work for but for where I am at this point in my life it just doesn't fit my lifestyle
it was just a job
sorter (Former Employee), Akron, OhioJune 29, 2015
Pros: if you could work there you could work anywhere
Cons: did not care about employees
the weekly pay was nice
it as temporary
no benefits
very little time off
the hardest part of working was the conditions
the co-workers were nice
A Cultured Job with great co-workers
Route Driver (Current Employee), Ambridge, PAJune 28, 2015
Pros: good paycheck, decent retirement plan
Cons: Trucks breaking down
A typical day in the life of a garbage man. Generally starts early in the morning with clock in times ranging from 400-430 for the drivers. After a briefing in the morning we do our pre trip on the trucks where we check air pressure, fluids, mechanical functionality of pumps and hydraulics, check lights and brakes for safe operation. As a mentor it has made me a better driver as it has made me think more about the position and the reasons why we do things the way we do. For the most part the bulk of the workers there are great with similar goals. I have bonded with a few drivers that seem to stick together when someone breaks down they call us and we come and clean up a route so its not laying the next day...Wow, Teamwork....something that is lost sometimes but is an important part of the business. Hardest part of the job is just to persevere...your not always going to have a working truck or have a route that allows you to be off at a certain time. This job enables you to work outside of an office but still be the manager of your own route. This job allows you to see all the beautiful days of the year as well as all the bad ones as well. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love being out there as my own boss. Its unreal the amount of people that see the garbage or recyclers as rockstars of the neighborhood. Kids will comeout week after week standing in the rain or snow just for a glimpse of the garbage truck and a subtle blow of the air horn.
fun place to work.
small equipment operator/crew leader (Current Employee), Elizabeth, PAJune 26, 2015
Pros: flexable work schdual
Cons: not enough hours
Good co-workers to be with. Management needs improvement. i have learned a lot about safety. hardest part of the job is cleaning a frac tank full of sand. the most enjoyable part of the day is working with my co-workers.
Enjoyed working there for advancement and pay scale.
Payroll Support (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 25, 2015
worked in payroll department. Multi-task job. learn different position and keep file room organize and scan document into database.
A great place to work new challenges every day
Trainer Safety department (Current Employee), Parkersburg, WV,Bridgeport WVJune 24, 2015
Pros: Great benifents, Good employer
Cons: none
A great place to work new challenges every day,good benifits and pay would recomend employment to anyone looking for a long lasting employer
Too long ago to remember
Lead Developer and Integration Architect (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 24, 2015
The company was experiencing a lot of changes when I worked there. There were some great people, but leadership was suffering.
amazing company
Supervisor (Former Employee), La Crosse, WIJune 23, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: working through lunches
I worked for the company for 10 years, but unfortunately slowing economy called for cut backs. I supervised 7 amazing people that we all worked well together and became a family. My manager understood family and the company in a whole is very family orientated. I enjoyed running the heavy equipment and performing monthly reports along with the being in charge of the safety inspections, we would struggle and work long hours when equipment broke down or holidays fell during the week but together we fought to get through and accomplished the goal in the end,
Work life balance all for not
Route Manager (Former Employee), New MexicoJune 23, 2015
The company believes in a core and noble mindset, depending on region the upper management does not practice what it expects the front line leaders management to lead by. Big business status quo. Unprofessional and unaccountable that does not appreciate the hard work and dedication from frontline. No training for managers but focused expectation with results. What a difference that would make.
Fun place to work at
customer service rep I (Current Employee), foxborough MAJune 23, 2015
Pros: the stores
Cons: none
take care of all customer inquiries and complaints set up bulky pick ups and new service requests do service alerts collect payment from customers explain the scope of service to customers in their communities.
A great places to work
plastics lead (Former Employee), akron ohioJune 23, 2015
Pros: Had great co workers
Cons: a very dandress places to work
There never was a typical day at waste management each day brought new challenges @ rewords.One thing i learned at wast management was anyone can be good but if you don't have a good strong team you will never be great.The management there was some of the best i ever worked with personally for me.I really got along good with my co worker thought we had good moral in the work place.I think the hards part of the job was i tried to exceed all expectations of my co workers.My most enjoyable part of the job was working together to complete a common goal.
Cool place to work
Front end loader (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJune 22, 2015
I enjoyed working for WM. They pay well and allow for advancement. The only problem I had is that they seem to show preference to the friends of management. But who doesn't.
Collector/Processor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2015
A typical day for me was taking over 150 calls, assisting with any problems and assisting co-workers. I learned a different function on a daily basis using the new system. The best part of the job was assisting customers and co-workers.
I am not a Robot
Commercial Driver (Former Employee), Moreno Valley,CAJune 22, 2015
Pros: decent pay check every week
Cons: no time to spend the pay check
The pay is good but there is no Job security. You have no life because you work 60 to 75 hours a week. you definetly do not feel like you are a person only a expendible number. I felt like no matter how hard I worked or how good I was with this company it did not matter, the management would just give you more work, push, push, push. I am not blaming the Route Managers! It is definetly the upper Management who have sold the companies soul to wall street,
Management will not get the correct parts to repair the equipment.The trucks are old and worn out .Management bonuses are more important than safety
Senior Technician (Former Employee), Tarrant, ALJune 22, 2015
Pros: Close to the house
Cons: Management will not let you repair the trucks
Only being able to repair trucks without parts. Management will not allow you to get the parts to maintain the trucks there bonuses are more important.
Great trash company
Route Driver (Former Employee), Rio Rancho, NMJune 21, 2015
Pros: pay weekly
Cons: Breathing diesel fumes all day
I did enjoy working for Waste Management, but they need to do something about the way they treat their employees by not looking for a reason to terminate them on a daily basis.
Fun work days
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Loves Park, ILJune 20, 2015
Pros: people i worked with
Cons: insurance
Management wasn't all that well, people I worked with were always good to be around with, and overall I liked what I did. The company itself is a good company but again there are some people that aren't cut out to be in this type of job atmosphere
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kirkland, WAJune 19, 2015
on this position they most enjoyment part is being able to help customer in the best way i can. the management and co-workers also made this position great as well
A job only- no chances of advancing
Operations Specialist I (Former Employee), Slidell, LAJune 18, 2015
Pros: Good pay
Cons: Unfriendly coworkers, No teams players, not a secure place of employment or opportunities to advance, long hours, no breaks and only 30 minute lunches.
Employment with WM from the beginning was very unsatisfactory, there are no chances of advancement, working daily with people who do not even give you the courtesy of saying, Good morning but will request of your assistance.

What I learned is, always treat others with respect and be courteous even if they are not.

Management was performed as it should. Most times not considering the feelings of the employee's needs, only the company's needs as a whole not limited to or excluding terminations effective immediately.

My co-workers/peers were honest, hard-working and dedicated to their jobs even in extreme conditions because we all need employment.

The hardest part of the job was not the job itself but getting other WM staff who provided the needed information to assist with information necessary to perform a job duty without repetitive calling, if you ever received the information. Very uncooperative, and not friendly/helpful at all.

The most enjoyable part of my position was staying focused on the duties assigned and meeting the challenges necessary to get the job done in a timely manner on own, and the pleasure daily of working with assisting and greeting walk- in customers with any needs as well my peers.

1 2 3 4 5

About Waste Management

Waste Management is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management and environmental services in North America. We are – Read more

Waste Management Salaries

$45,000 per year
Customer Service Representative
$13.50 per hour

Waste Management Photos

WM employees love engaging with and giving back to the communities they service.
A helper operating safely on the back of a residential truck in Southeast Texas
Drivers gather for a morning safety meeting. Safety is a core value with zero compromise at WM.