Waste Management Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,575 reviews matching the search
Not a place you want to work
Trash Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Canal Winchester, OHJuly 19, 2016
Where do I start. They don't care about you as an employee and no I'm not saying that because I'm bitter. I'm telling you the truth. They don't have enough work so you will be off 1 to 2 days a week, the site manager is amazing but his boss the short guy with the big ears is a joke and he only cares about what kind of raises he can get. The only good thing about this company is the amazing group of guys you get to work with.
Pros
When it is time to clock out!!!
Cons
Everything and i literally mean everything
Some of the most professional co-workers, enjoyed working with alongside
District Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandJune 27, 2016
Successful and growing organization, cutting edge programs and technology. Focus was on the non-exempt employee at the district level and the commitment seemed to wane the further you got from the district. Some of the most dedicated and competent co-workers I had the pleasure of working alongside.
Pros
Programs and technology
Cons
Strives for employee engagement but competes with financial goals
customer service
CE Inside Commercial Rep (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAJuly 6, 2016
OMG!!!!!!!! The management is HORRIBLE.... WE was trained to do the job incorrect, we was put out on the floor to take call with my classmate and we both don't know what to do/ sink or swim.....When making a mistake due to you was trained wrong you was called into the supervisor office and harassed. The floor leaders refuse to help you and very disrespectful... NOt a Good place in commerce,ca
Pros
On the phone with customers and pay
Cons
Learder, Management, and training
Large Corporation with many departments that function together
Lead Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2016
Waste Management is a large corporation that does function well considering it's size. Typical day for me requires putting out fires and resolving issues for multiple departments and fiels sites.
Hardest part is the pace of doing 2 and sometimes 3 jobs while my department team members are on vacation.
Pros
They pay parking or bus fair
Cons
Small department that needs more help
Very Hazardeous but fun productive place to be
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAJune 6, 2016
A Typical day at work consist of on the movement, work with bi hazards over seeing hazard chemicals placing order, making sure that work environment is a safe place to work running a trash com prater the hardest part of my job was making sure that payroll get's done on time due to the fact that I'm consistently interacting on the work site on the move
Pros
Learn different task's Challenage for me, benefits are great
Cons
Health care was not all that great
Decent pay/benefit's. Terrible management
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 4, 2016
They blame you for EVERYTHING that goes wrong. Expect you to break DOT rules and write you up if you don't. If you question them they make up answers and expect you to accept it. New guys are treated terrible .Expect to drive trucks nobody else wants to drive and only have to drive if truck breaks down.Terrible equipment! I worked about 8 months,camera's got me fired in Raggedy truck,cameras goes off 30-40 times a day in raggedy trucks,maybe 2-5 times in newer trucks
Pros
Decent Pay/Benefits
Cons
Management, Equipment
there are no benifits for my position (scale clerk)??
Scale House Operator (Current Employee) –  Union Cross, NCJune 12, 2016
I love working here. the only thing i do not like is the fact that there is no perminat postion for scale clerk. managment say that they are working on it. I pray soon because i'm getting comfortable here and to not be able to enjoy the benifits of the job is very saddening..:-(

I still give an overall five because i know the potential in working here it's just not showing it for me at the moment.
My Review
Wastewater Operator (Current Employee) –  Naticoke, PAJune 27, 2016
A typical day is on an assembly line separating trash. I learned that it is a hazard place to work. The supervisor and management are very nice people. The co-workers are good and help out each other. The hardest is being careful and safe because you may see needles, rats, sharp edges, ect.... on things even thought you are protected with eye wear/ sleeves for your arms.
Pros
Cafeteria to eat
Cons
Need to pay more money for that type of work
It was an ok place to work due to the employees. Not allot of management support.
Inside Commercial Representative (ICR) (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMay 13, 2016
The best part of working there was working with alot of real nice folks. We all worked hard and hung out sometimes after work. I felt there was some favoritism going on and those who were favored seemed to always have the best calls coming from the queue. Also, if you weren't in with management it was difficult to advance.
Pros
Great employees.
Cons
Favoritism, no real opportunity for advancement.
Long hours horrible management
Roll Off Driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2016
Equipment is by far the worst I have ever driven. For the work load that we do here we would have nicer newer equipment. I drive a truck that was new in 1993!!! No joke, we get worked 14 hours a day most of the trucks don't have a/c in summer and the heaters don't work in the winter time. Management is by far horrible. At this location you are just a number to them. You are not a human being. Just becareful and think about coming to work for waste management, just remember you are only a number to them. We have a high turn over rate here in roll off here in Indy because of the trucks we drive and hours we work. We have no family time at all. I can't say anything good about this company nothing. I have wasted several years here for nothing.
Pros
Pay benifits
Cons
Trucks, management, long long long hours
overall this is Company
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 10, 2016
if its any job that I wish that I could work for again it would be Waste Management I loved working for them it was a cool place to work had some good supervisors and most of the workers was team players that did not mind helping you the thing that stuck out with me the most is safety they was a stickler for safety they wanted everyone to go home to there family safety first and I love that about Waste Management
Pros
gift cards
Cons
it can get real hot outside
very stressfull
Route Manager All LOB (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORJuly 3, 2016
Waste Management does not take care of management. all boils down to stock holders. Long hours with no pay. Upper management is in the same boat. They have you work with as few people as possible and expect you to get everything done. The are not concerned about how many hours drivers work, they just make sure they get paid for hours they work. They don't care about the drivers family life.
Great guys you work with. Made some great friends. Good pay and benefits.
Heo1 (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 4, 2016
Management is crooked, use underhanded ways to do "customization" to company trucks. Equipment has gobs of hours and tears up constantly. They treat you like gold till there tired of you and will fire you for something you done several times before under their direction. If you do not think this is correct ask the 11 people i saw come and go in the less than 2 years i worked there
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor poor management. You are nothing but a number. Watch out. NO JOB SECURITY HERE!!!!!!
Hard Working Place
Quality Control/ Bales/Sorter (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 13, 2016
Typical day at work was quality control of the bales and made sure the facility didn't get shut down every 20 minutes. Management was good made sure everyone was hydrated and on task. The hardest part was dealing with the heat. that was the most important thing I learned how to work hard in AZ heat. The most enjoyable was Thursdays when that UPS truck would pull out PAYDAY.
Hard labor
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 24, 2016
Starting at 6am with a safety meeting, then driving a residential garbage truck, frequently getting in and out dumping waste with some physically fit individuals that know how to do their job. Management is great! The Hardest part is being in all the elements year round. The best part is they provide Gatorade and water during the summer, and provide uniforms, and working boots.
It used to be a great place to work
Wastepaper picker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 14, 2016
Don't be expecting to get a job here if you've been in this industry for a long time hr only want noobs that know nothing and don't know there rights and if your an equipment operater that's been doing your whole life your over qualified this place is joke and that's insulting to the word joke do your self a faver go else were
Pros
Coworker
Cons
Grab the wheel, and hold tight
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Springs, NVJuly 20, 2016
Extremely long hours- 60+/week
Constant change in management, employees and initiatives.
Little opportunity to impact work culture.
Most days are spent dealing with accidents/spills/employee issues, not in managing the business towards improvement.
Pros
Pay- Work Truck- Freedom to roam the city
Cons
Hours- Unionized workforce- Management Initiatives
Challenging and a good fit for the right person
COMMERCIAL ROUTE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Salem, NCApril 12, 2016
Days can be long which usually start at 2:45 am. A typical day consists of opening the facility, running reports and analyzing data from the previous day. Coaching drivers on performance, conducting safety meetings weekly, manager meetings, driver huddles, visiting customers, and making sure drivers are getting everything on their routes completed. Management is good at site level. Hardest thing to do is work around issues you can't control. Best thing about this job is the ability to work away from the office.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
No day is the same
Allright overall.
Field Technician/Roustabout (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, PAApril 11, 2016
WM's Energy Services branch in Elizabeth PA used to be a great place to work. 70-80 hours a week and home just about every night.
Last year, I made over $50k as a tank cleaner, which they misclassify as a roustabout on their requisition. Great co-workers and management tended to leave us alone and let us do our thing if we were busy. Sadly, as with most oil and gas service companies, our work has run out until energy prices start rising again.
Pros
Decent place to work overall
Cons
No work
waste management gave us the right tools and schooling to do are jobs
diesel mechanic (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 4, 2016
a fast pace environment to get truck on the road to accomplish the job. new technology on natural gas. had to work will with management for we can have enough truck to run the routes. worked will with co workers and we had family BBQ be because we spent more time at work then with family. working in side of the hoppers with the garbage it smell bad at times. learning new things every day with new trucks
Pros
learning the new technology
Cons
hard on the body