Waste Management Employee Reviews

Found 1,898 reviews matching the search
Not such a good company to work for.
Customer Service/Inside Commercial Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Wahington, PaNovember 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is your fellow coworkers. You are expected to do the work of 3 people with minimum pay. The benefit deductibles keep going up every year.The management bonuses depend on the amount that is spent on their employees, etc, so raises are very far and few between even if you go above and beyond in your job duties, rarely is it recognized.
Its a very fun and exciting enviroment.
Sorter (Current Employee) –  Germantown, WIFebruary 6, 2017
Keeps you busy and loves the pace. Everything is kept neat and always clean up whatever you mess up whenever finish. Don't ever hold on to objects that's tied down on the lines. Be aware of your surroundings
Pros
Free coffee and hot chocolate
Cons
Short breaks and no healthcare. Couldnt get in door at times
great management team, room for advancement
Machine Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Germantown, WIMarch 13, 2017
This is a company that strives for a clean environment. Great management team and wonderful employees. A pat on the back is commonplace. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to start their career with a well rounded company.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
better pay
Long Hours
Lead Dispatcher/ Customer Services Rep (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 29, 2016
Residential and commercial rubbish removal by subscription. I was taught computer systems and account management protocol. I oversaw the day to day operation of scheduling and equipment condition. The most difficult part of the job was the length of the day which often ran between ten and twelve hours.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Up to twelve hour work days
Great Paying Job
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 9, 2017
The Company had went through 8 Supervisors in 7 years. Very Poor Management made you question the company. Supervisors would fail to schedule dumpster repairs for delivery and then blame it on the shop workers. We constantly ran out of steel and welding supplies. But, very safe environment.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor Management
Location is good
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILMarch 12, 2017
Great location, people are friendly, system is old. Directors been there for a long time and shows favoritism towards others. The company is moving in a better direction but need to make changes in upper level management for more balance
Pros
excellent pay cares about thier employees
Cons
unstructured
It was a cool job gained some good work experience there
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 23, 2017
Waste management was a great job I liked the job and liked the pay as well my checks were great. Some days I would do 12 hour shifts from 6 am to 6 pm I worked Monday thru Friday and hade my weekends to chill I liked the job wish I can go back.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Garbage smell
Co workers are good People
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  West Boylston, MADecember 20, 2016
Management is absolutely horrible. Starting with the GM down to the Shop Manager, but go figure they're practically best friends out side of the workplace. Route managers are literally hired from your local fast food restaurants and expected to run a trucking company with a burger flipping mentality. Shop manager refuses to send service trucks out to fix road calls, would rather have trucks towed to an off site company for them to fix instead. All the route managers leave the shop after everyone leaves in the morning and refuse to answer phones or help the drivers with any issues. They don't care if you've worked there 20 years or 2 years. Time served is not worth anything to them, but again the actual workers who are out actually doing the routes and jobs are great people to work with
Pros
Co workers and benefits
Cons
They don't pay and the managers only care about their bonuses
mentally stimulating work place
Motherboard Tech (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COOctober 26, 2016
This is the most fun I've ever had working. We worked in a small group that worked independently of one another, unless we ran into complicated problems. We were able to keep above an 80% return rate on machines that had been recycle for various issues. The management was able to talk to us and address some of our concerns. The only real draw back to working here was that it was a warehouse that didn't have air conditioning and was extremely hot.
Pros
great co workers, challenged me to find unique solutions, felt like i was able to give back a bit.
Cons
Extremely hot work environment.
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Neville Island, PAOctober 24, 2016
Typical day at waste management was kind of boring in over worked for little pay ,I learned to bite my tongue on things and how manage bills with such little pay, The Co workers for the most were good to work around ,the hardest part of the job was being on our feet in the winter months in summer ,management was poorly ran i think ,the most enjoyable part of the job was when they gave us free lunch for work being caught up or over caught up
Pros
n/a
Cons
short breaks /poor pay / no benifit/
Good stepping stone job for new drivers or young people looking for a career.
Residential Front Load Driver (Former Employee) –  PADecember 17, 2016
Good company. Great benifits. Lots of overtime and rules to keep you safe. Loved working on my own. Keep in mind, you need to be ok with the Drive-Cams.
Pros
Benifits, overtime, and working alone.
Cons
Yard waste is heavy, Drive-cam, and lots of truck problems.
Manangement shows favortisim towards certain drivers very bias atmosphere
Class B Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILDecember 13, 2016
Great company, great pay just really poor manangement horrible training doesn't prepare the driver for the route. Very bias atmosphere management shows favortisim towards certain drivers..
Pros
Really good pay
Cons
Very bad training and poor manangement
not a good comany to work for
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 9, 2017
this is a bad company to work for everyday they knock you down you only here about everything thing wrong you did and your never good enough, the shop is a joke they have no equipment and what they do have its either broken and they wont fix it or they have one and 17 guys in the shop needing to use it, they want you to fix a truck with no parts so the guys there take parts off trucks that are parked to fix a truck, its a joke. once your on night shift you never leave you will never have a day shift job, getting a day off is a joke they have a rule only one guy off at any time so all the guys with the most years get the days off they want , the night shift boss is great at mad dogging you if he feels your taking to long its the evil eye all night long, everyday your there its like the life is being sucked out and you will have no life endless overtime stay away from this company .
Pros
pay
Cons
never good enough long hours no family life bad company
Good place to work good people!
Commercial Front-end driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 21, 2016
Started with company in California moving up to supervisor then moved to Oklahoma to work for 6 years. Work in Commercial refuse is hard up early, decent hours. Get along with crew good exchange of ideas about service managers willing to listen to drivers.Hardest part getting up early to work but after starting day enjoyed being own captain of truck. Fully involved company safety program.
Pros
Allowed to make changes to improve service
Cons
short lunch and traffic
Different work areas daily
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2017
Its a good job to stay fit a workout just by jumping off and on the truck and dumping trash. I enjoyed seeing and working in the new areas daily. You have to get enough rest and eat right when doing this job cause the work can put a bad affect on you.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Outside weather
Management is in need of culture change
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 30, 2016
As a Manager with Waste Management, I found that WM doesn't have the correct balance between work and life. It was mandatory to work 70 hours per week on a salary pay scale. Your hard work and valiant efforts are often over-looked as a stellar employee. Job duties included Payroll, Managing Drivers, Customer Service, Driver Duties (Servicing Trash Cans), Dealing with Municipality Relations (Contracts), 3:30am Start Time, No Holidays Off, Working Weekends, etc. Being Management there were more cons than pros. It is a great company to work for as a garbage man, as they make more money and work less hours than their own managers. Route Managers were consistently quitting and being relived from their duties, thus, there weren't many managers given the opportunity to build a strong skill set for the position.
Pros
Gained Great Experience
Cons
Poor Upper Management
very small site only 7 people working
Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  New Boston, TXOctober 16, 2016
Typical day starts out by checking out the haul truck and start hauling dirt to fix hill ad cover that days trash.

I learned how to operate all the landfill equipment

my district manager is amazing takes care of everyone site very well.

my coworkers were very cool and good at what they do.

hardest part of the job was dealing with the one guy who thinks hes management.

the most enjoyable part of my job is being mostly out doors all the time.
The culture of office politics erroded trust and open discussion among peers and upper management.
Public Affairs Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 24, 2016
A typical day at work involved spending hours on the road while managing endless conference calls and emails. The average work day was 12 to 14 hours 6 days a week. Vacation time was next to impossible to schedule. Process trumped objectives.
Pros
Staff was always willing to help.
Cons
Very stressful work environment.
Making good margins in trash does not equate to a good work environment
Worker (Current Employee) –  Four Corners AreaOctober 29, 2016
By far the most toxic work culture that I have seen or even heard of. The company is lacking in any sense of innovation or expanding into other market areas.

The company is extremely stagnant for career growth. I would not recommend Waste Management for anyone.
Pros
Good benefits after 90 days
Cons
Pay, work life balance, lack of career growth
picking up trash and getting the job done right
Trash Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Henderson, COMarch 22, 2017
the hours are awesome and the route managers work with you always. There is never a day when you have to not get hours. It is great if you like to go to work and only see your boss 2-3 times a day.
Pros
not so great pay
Cons
very good insurance for healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Management. Our community is ready to answer.

76%