Waste Management
1,302 reviews

Waste Management Employee Reviews

Great job but company revews drive cams and overides supervisor opinions.
Rolloff Driver (Former Employee), Newark, OHMarch 5, 2015
Pros: good hourly wage
Cons: fear of loosing your job because of drive cam.16 to 20 hour days
The people I worked with were great! My boss was a great boss.The hardest part of the job was worrying about drive cams and there extreme rules.I learned a lot of good driving skills.
on site cafe
Billing Clerk I (Current Employee), Phonenix, AZMarch 5, 2015
I currently process refunds for cancelled accounts and search for misapplied payments. Also, bi-monthly landfill billing.
Very good place to work with many benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 4, 2015
Pros: bonuses every month from call stat.
Cons: i didn't really find any i just loved my job
I loved working for Waste Management would still be there if call center didn't close down.

I looked forward to going to work everyday, the people I worked with was a great team and my job was never a bored moment.

The hardest part of my job was not enough time in a day to get everything done.

The enjoyable part of my job was being able to solve customer problems, talking to customers and making them feel like they finally got to the right person.
nice place to work
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 3, 2015
Pros: was a job
Cons: not enough pay for shift work
Gust not my bag of garbage..lol I enjoyed pushing around garbage and trash for a while, And the shift work was not working out.
What Waste Management was like
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Harvey, LAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: healthcare, flexable
Cons: management, training
-Cold called 20-25 business a day.
-Learned what you have to do to be successful in sales.
-Management was not involved.
-Co-workers were fun to work with.
-The hardest part of the job was not having help from management.
-The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to know my co-workers and working with them to make sales.
A good place to work
Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee), Windsor, CTMarch 2, 2015
Pros: discounts on wm services, and many discount partnerships with companies worldwide
Cons: waste will never be considered glamorous
WM has a good corporate culture that celebrates innovation, and promotes safety for their workers.

Typical day is servicing customers, doing bid follow up, sales calls, meetings
I have learned a lot about negotiation and contract renewals
Management really depends on who your particular manager is, there is not necessarily a set of rules for your manager to follow so the management can completely change the feel of the job.

Enjoyable parts of the job - customer interaction
Walking on Egg Shells
Customer Service (Current Employee), Germantown, WIFebruary 27, 2015
Their policies are very strict and the environment is that of a corporation.... not for everyone. You get written up for being one minute late or for punching in a bit late from lunch. The benefits are great if you are able to keep your job.
Awesome Place to work
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Otay, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: leaving the job
In the beginning we had to get the name out there so we drove the trucks around a lot to get some exposure. The management, co-workers and even executive management were great to work with.
We delivered, picked up, stored and cross country moved portable storage units.
Very challenging work enviroment with zero job security
Sales (Former Employee), Menomonee Falls, WIFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: huge company with great assests
Cons: poor brand and experience in customers eyes. huge negative for salespeople to overcome
Your tenure will be very short. The quality of life is not balanced at all. Senior area management prefers to hire pervious co-workers and or friends. Making for a very challenging work place.
Productive fast paced environment Overall decent place to work
Sorter (Current Employee), Lakewood, NJFebruary 23, 2015
Responsible for sorting trash, metal, and recyclables from clean cardboard and paper off of a moving conveyor belt. The ultimate goal being to produce clean paper and cardboard bales. Maintain machinery and floor housekeeping in a swift and diligent manner. Lifting objects over 50 lbs on a regular basis. Successfully maintaining stamina while moving my upper body and standing up essentially for the extent of each shift. Lock out/tag out trained and certified.
Very inconsistent management practices
Inside Commercial Sales Rep (Former Employee), Coraopolis, PAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: wonderful co-workers
Cons: constant policy changes
While there was room for advancement, there were also many aspects that could be improved upon regarding the treatment of employees. Not all employees are treated as if on the same playing field.
Excellent Job
Trash dumper (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLFebruary 21, 2015
Excellent job, Very satisfied with the level of work and pay. I learned to work with other team members to get the job done. Management was great. The hardest part of the job was picking up heavy items or working in the rain. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the job done and feeling accomplished.
Good pay but terrible operational support
Outside Business Sales Representative (Current Employee), Greenwood Village, COFebruary 21, 2015
Tough job and contracts make sales that much harder. You can get a customer on board and the price and relationship are there but a previous company's agreement keeps things from moving forward
All work no play!
driver (Current Employee), Lake City, GaFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: long hours
Cons: pay and home life
Long hours and short pay. Management and dispatchers are not on the same page and not the best to work with. Trucks are old and in desperate need of replacement. Managers treat you like preschoolers rather than adults. Huge pay disparity between veteran and new hires.
pay and benefits
Sorter/Forklift Trainee (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: working a route
Cons: winters
Overall the work environment is very enjoyable and there are a lot of smart and caring people. The job is very rewarding for those who are self motivated and want to take on a challenge.
NA
Trash Truck Driver and Collector (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 19, 2015
I worked there for 5 years adn the management were not together. The job was a great job and I made good money and had great benefits. I would still be there if it wasn't for personal issues at home with finances.
very repetivive
Garbage truck driver (Former Employee), Ambridge, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Show up at 330 Am and have a safety meeting while the trucks are warming up. Then do our dot inspection before we leave for the day. Head out for our route.
Set route and rutine
Driver (Former Employee), Mankato, MNFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: Set route, Work at your own pace, Follows HOS, Truck assigned to route and not to the driver
Cons: Non to mention
You get a set route and you can do the route as needed to get it complete. You have to follow DOT HOS under your class B or class A cdl license. You can only get 57 1/2 hours of paid work under this and they follow it very closely. If you finish your route early, you are encouraged but not mandated to help other routes finish. Overtime is paid and encouraged as well. You don't work the holidays but you make it up by working on that Saturday.
Great company to work for if you are in the right market area
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, great compensation plan and benefits
Cons: can't sell on the spot, sometimes very stressful job
A typical day at my job involves cold-calling on the phone from 8am-12pm Mondays and Wednesdays to set up appointments for the week, and then door-to-door cold-calling for the duration of the day. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are designated for appointments and prospecting for new business.
I have learned in this position what it really takes to be successful at sales. It takes determination, persistence, and perseverance in order to truly have success in this profession. In addition, one would have to be extremely organized in order to be a productive and effective salesman.
I love my management team! They are extremely supportive and are always there if I need anything. I have awesome co-workers that are always uplifting and positive. This is a hard job and a tough industry, and having supportive and uplifting co-workers is essential in order to be successful.
The hardest part of my job is competing with unethical waste disposal companies. There are a lot of uncontrollable circumstances that you will not be able to overcome; you just have to keep going and don't give up. Also, you will not be able to sell on the spot. Most companies will be under contract and are not sellable at that moment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the work/life balance. I love my schedule, and being able to spend time with my family!
Team Orientated
Senior Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great benefits. understanding management.
Cons: small cubicles
Good company to work for with excellent benefits. Everyday there seems to be a new challenge which is so enjoyable. Management is very supportive and encourages growth.

About Waste Management

Waste Management is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management and environmental services in North America. We are – Read more

Waste Management Salaries

$45,000 per year
Customer Service Representative
$13.50 per hour

Waste Management Photos

WM employees love engaging with and giving back to the communities they service.
A helper operating safely on the back of a residential truck in Southeast Texas
Drivers gather for a morning safety meeting. Safety is a core value with zero compromise at WM.