WATCO COMPANIES Employee Reviews

fast paced and productive and saftey first
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Refugio, TXJanuary 7, 2018
I've been with Watco going on seven years. I would recommend this company to anyone. They truly care for their employees and their families. I have became a better employee because of Watco. This company offers many advancements. I started out as an operator, then to a lead and now a supervisor. I am truly blessed to have a great job!
Pros
great pay, great management, during natural disasters employess were taking care of
Shady management
Transportation coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARNovember 27, 2017
Managers would promise employees under them one thing to try and get them to say untrue things about fellow employees that management doesn’t like. I would not recommend working here to any hard working individual WATCO doesn’t care about their employees!
No advancement
Lab Manager / Operations (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 31, 2017
Incompetent Leadership, instability throughout the company, no place for advancement and the concentration is on their mexico work, never new what the next day would bring
Pros
Cons
no good leadership
Official response from WATCO COMPANIES
November 9, 2017

Hello,
Have you tried to reach out to our recruiting team for career growth opportunities? Our recruiting team will be able to provide the most up to date information for you. Please contact our team at recruiting@watcocompanies.com for assistance!

Good job for college students
Maintenance Crew (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSOctober 17, 2017
As a college student, working on the maintenance crew worked out well. We performed various duties around the company's several property locations. They were very good at working around my class schedule.
Official response from WATCO COMPANIES
November 9, 2017

Thank you for your review! We want to promote personal growth here at Watco and that means working with our Team Member's schedules!

Decent place to work
Groundsman/Shipping & receiving (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 16, 2017
Good environment to work at. You can learn about many positions, specifically more about shipping and Receiving. The pay is decent for the job.I would recommend it.
Laid Back Environment, Immediate Manager was great
NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 26, 2017
The environment at Watco was a laid-back environment and customers that I supported were fairly social. My immediate manager was very supportive of me and we had a great rapport working with each other. The only issues I had with the company was their tolerance for errors related to safety especially for someone who had not worked within a transportation company before. There was little to no guidance on policies related to safety, no training courses that I could take. I felt that upper management could do a better job with opening safety courses for non-railroad staff so that they know enough about safety to not violate any safety rules.
Pros
Laid Back environment, Work-Life Balance, Good workplace culture
Cons
Un Supportive Upper Management as relates to training.
Good place to wrok
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 18, 2017
Good work place with good benefits. Worked in OKC and transferred to Austin. Would definitely recommend this company to other people. You can move up in the company if you are motivated.
Home life can suffer
Unloader (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, WAJuly 28, 2017
On call 24/7 with 12 hour rotating shifts. Excessive work load due to minimum staffing don't always get a break. The higher your skill level the mor work you have to complete in the same amount of time.
Pros
guarnateed 40 hrs of pay per week
Cons
constantly having to adjust personal life to fit work load.
This was a great company
operator and rail car repairmen (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2017
I was able to really grow with this company and the balance of work and life was great. I transferred to Houston with this company and planned on retiring with them.
Pros
good work schedule and compensation
Cons
called in on days of sometime but it was part of the business
Loved watco
Carmen (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 13, 2017
One of my faborite jobs its just a shame the crude oil industry is going under that what keeps them busy i was laid off from there whis i was still there
Pros
Free lunch games all kinds of good stuff
Cons
Na
Fun to work if people aren't gunning for you.
Engineer conducctor (Former Employee) –  WyomingJune 9, 2017
The employees were awesome to work with. The schedule rotation was awesome. Alot of laziness around the company though. The company looks for any reason not to give you a raise compensation. When it came to customers complaints or anything that was special requested last minute and wasn't done, management didn't have your back. It's not a bad place to start off in the railroad field but just know that in railroad you only have to look out for yourself because nobody will have your back or speak up for you at the end, especially management at Watco. Careful with supervisors who look for you to mess up instead of helping you. Always watch your back.
Pros
Employees, work schedule and actual work being done
Cons
Some poor management, back stabbers, reasons to find to not compensate you.
Watco Companies
Commercial Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 4, 2017
Watco was a great place to work, learn and grow, while my tenure with the company was short, too short actually. I enjoyed the majority of the people, customers, and business network.

The structure of the company is one of change, individuals are asked to be creative, critical thinkers, and self-motivated. This structure of change often includes changes in roles and responsibilities.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Travel is highly expected
Watco
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, PAJune 2, 2017
I had a better experience with other companies, As a company as a whole its a good. But the everyday culture at the Midland location had a low morale.
Real laid back job
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Livonia, LAMay 24, 2017
I like the job but management needs to be better. They need to focus more on the employees instead of themselves. But an overall good company to work for.
Best decision I ever made.
Switchman (Current Employee) –  WatcocompaniesMay 24, 2017
Very hard working for a great company and unable to protect the reputation of your employer due to retaliation (My location)
I'm very fortunate to be employed by a company that continuously tries to expand. This company welcomes new ideas and totally works with personal issues and adjustments.
Not everything is perfect, though I wish they would recognize nepotism because it allows theft and unwanted work ethic.
Pros
- railroad retirement, benefits, upper management, advancement and steady work.
Cons
- neptosiom, theft, inexperienced supervisors, lack of a safe environment as of now.
Culture and Chain of Command
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  McIntosh, ALMay 23, 2017
The culture at my location is bad. The work isn't hard and fairly easy but the employees here are lazy and absent minded and there is only one manager in which there needs to be more leadership from that aspect of the group.
Pros
Easy job to do
Cons
Poor employee help
Overal good company to work for
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 21, 2017
Overall good company to work for with great experience and goals. I enjoyed doing what I did for the company and placing great organization tools in place.
Pros
compensation
Cons
Mangagement
Horribly run company
Operator (Former Employee) –  Stanley, NDApril 6, 2017
Just think of your worst job experience ever. Then put watco below that. That's where it should stand with most people who have worked there. Unless your previous job was cleaning porta potties by hand then maybe watco might be a step above that. Either way you are wasting your time working there.
Nice place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Refugio, TXMarch 20, 2017
A god group of people to work with, willing to help out when needed. I would like to go back if the work becomes steady. Needs better vacation days and able to tack off when needed with out pay
Pros
Good site
Cons
Out in the midle of no wear
Good Job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Industry, PAMarch 13, 2017
Excellent Compensation and benefits. Flexible scheduling.
Cons, always stuck behind a desk doing same duties daily.
schedule is typically mon-fri with weekends and holidays off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WATCO COMPANIES. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7