Wawa, Inc

Wawa, Inc Employer Reviews

Exciting place to work if the management is good
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Capitol Heights, MDJune 16, 2014
You get to meet tons of new people. very fast pace, from sun up to sun down. paid weekly, which is great. My only issue was with the management , the were terrible but I cant say every wawa will be.
Irritating and Exhausting - Bound to Wear Out ALL Employees
Inventory/Merchandise Manager (Current Employee), Delran, NJMay 20, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: management, work/life balance, unreliability of employees, hours
A typical day includes cleaning up after the two shifts that came before while still having to do a huge list of tasks that the company provides for you. I also have to watch after and follow all my employees to make sure that they are doing their job and correctly because they have not been trained correctly so by the end of each night I feel as if – more... I have not gotten anything done.

Everything I have learned after moving from a training store has been self-taught. The only person that cares about my advancement and learning at this store is myself so I have to learn things on my own.

Management only cares about themselves and in turn is the reason why the employees are miserable and are quitting left and right. They are there to do minimal work then leave instead of making sure everything that the company has them to do is done.

My poor co-workers are fed up and therefore do not care to do their jobs to par. Instead they are all there to do minimal work and collect a pay check at the end of the week. I do believe that if they knew they were cared for and appreciated by upper management that they would be more willing to do a better job.

The hardest part of the job is keeping morale up and having my employees both inside and outside do what they are to do so that my shift is ran correctly and things are done for the shifts that follow.

The customers are the most enjoyable part of my job. They make it worth going to work each day. – less
Fast paced environment
Shift Manager (Former Employee), West Chester, PAMay 12, 2014
Fast paced environment with advancement abilities. Customer service oriented. Labor intensity based work.
Technology Specialist
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Hatfield, PAApril 21, 2014
Technology Specialist
• Duties: Assisted Customers in Technology Selection, Computers, Peripheral, Cashier
Not at all what you would expect
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Pottstown, PAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: amazing people to work with
Cons: owner
I started to work here because I thought that working in the wedding industry would be fun and exciting. While I'm not wrong, this was not the place for me to be. My role consisted mostly of answering phones and scheduling appointments. My co-workers were the best people I have ever met. The customer service aspect of the job wasn't altogether terrible – more... either. The owner is what made it difficult to stay here. – less
Great pay and advancement but harsh working conditions
General Manager (Current Employee), PAMarch 9, 2014
Pros: pay, paid time off
Cons: lucky if you even get a break, you have to pay for food but there is a discount, hours are odd and very long, upper management is so top heavy and micromanages
As a GM you are responsible for everything in the store. Best part of my job is team building and having fun at work. Expect to work extremely hard even as the general manager due to minimal labor. Company is very profitable, has great benefits and pay, but it all comes at a price. Work life balance is very hard given the shifts and very long exhausting – more... hours required at times. This job is not for the feint of heart. – less
Awesome Compensation and Benefits, Poor Work/Life Balance
Fresh Food Manager (Current Employee), Bethlehem, PAJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: pays well, great benefits, job security
Cons: management, poor work/life balance
This is a fantastic company to work for. They pay well, especially management, and the benefits packages are incredible. Since becoming a manager, however, it feels as though I have sold my soul to the company. I have had to give up time with my child and don't get to do things that normal parents do. I miss most of her school and after school related – more... activities. It is a high stress position and most days I work a 9 hour shift without an opportunity to eat a meal. It has begun to compromise my health and definitely my quality of life. As I said, I do love the company, I am currently looking to step down from management but stay on as a Customer Service Associate. – less
Upbeat work pace and friendly faces
Shift Manager/ Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: goosebumps, discount on wawa products when working
Cons: part time, short breaks
Wawa Is a great place to work. The people are friendly and they reward you with goosebumps if you went above and beyond. Wawa is all about customer Service which I believe is a very important part of a company.
Customers and managers suck
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Portsmouth, VANovember 17, 2013
Pros: better pay then $7.25
Cons: no breaks on 3rd shift, can't call out without getting talked about.
I worked at Wawa for awhile, I must admit I hated it. I was on the register 40 hours a week, the customers were very nasty and rude which no surprise there because working at Wawa you are dealing with the public. The management sucked as well, if you called out the boss would talk about you behind your back or would try to force you to come in. Also – more... a heads up 3rd shift does not receive breaks at Portsmouth, VA Victory Blvd. A lot of over night employees were unhappy with it and I still do not believe it is fixed. They started me out at $8.25 which is better than $7.25 and if you really want to move up with wawa you can, just be prepared to deal with callouts and nasty customers/employees! I hurt my leg while I was working there too and the boss would not let me sit down even though it was sprang... – less
Good Job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Woodlyn, PANovember 11, 2013
Pros: great environment
Cons: good advancement
Great place for advancement and has okay benefits. The management is good and so is the customers.
Busy, fast paced
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee), philadelphia, paOctober 28, 2013
A typical day at Wawa is extremely busy. Making coffee, making sandwiches, ringing people up at the register, filling the cold box. Expect not to have much down time, there are always things to do.
Great customers and fun to work for
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Folsom, PAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: discounted food while at work
Cons: short breaks, sometimes none and management change
I loved working for this company but you really need to be a team player to work here. The benefits are good , a bit expensive but good. You must be able to except constant change because your managers change every 6 months. I had great co workers and we did things as a group which was enjoyable.
Easy going atmosphere and easy to move up to higher levels
Customer service associate/Shift Manager (Current Employee), Aberdeen, MDJuly 25, 2013
Pros: flexibility of schedule on short notice
Cons: standing on feet for long hours and only a 30min break
A typical day at work for me could include ringing at the register, working in the deli, coding product, tending to customer complaints, running shift, reconciling regiter tils, transferring funds from one safe to another. I learned how to valued people, delight customers' and live a life of integrity. My Managers are always supportive and understanding – more... they want to see me grow and have considered me for the MIT (Manager in Training) program. The hardest part of the job would be making sure everything gets done before the next shift takes over, but overrall it would get done. The most enjoyabke part of the job would have to be lunch rushes although they are busy it shows how successful in sales our company is and how hard our team works to make sure that we are serving our customers beyond their expectations. – less
fast paced environment
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), hampton roads,vaJuly 11, 2013
Pros: fun atmosphere in some stores
Cons: upper management is weak
Lots of hours and hard work must be crosstrained hard to advance in the company
Fast Paced Environment with Great Benefits
Inventory/Merchandising Manager (Former Employee), Dennisville, NJJuly 7, 2013
Pros: 401k, company stock, healthcare benefits, holiday/vacation/personal time, monthly bonus
Cons: strict labor control, open 24 hours
Wawa is a great place to work, especially if you are a single individual. Each day brings new challenges from preparation of rolls outs to the flow of business. Wawa strives to bring great customer service to each person that enters.
While employed by this company, I've learned how to work under pressure. I've also learned better time management and – more... delegation skills. Also, the importance of how attention to detail really makes a difference in making customers happy.
The most enjoyable part of working for Wawa is the daily interaction with customers from those I would see every day to the ones just passing through. The hardest part of the job was balancing my work and home life. Since I held a management position, I worked a minimum of 45 hours a week on a 2pm-11pm shift, which made it difficult to spend time with my children. – less
A good philosophy
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Newark, DEJuly 7, 2013
Pros: good healthcare plan, pto
Cons: lack of respect, excessive work loads
Unfortunately I do not have a very positive review for Wawa, Inc, so I will keep this brief. The overall culture and philosophy is very good on paper, with it seemingly prioritizing associate care with the belief that happy and satisfied workers will lead to happy and satisfied customers. Sadly, I feel the company has begun to lose sight of this vision – more... as it has become more concerned with competing with very industry it can. – less
Shift Manager
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 8, 2013
I work as a shift manager at Wawa, which is a food service chain on the east coast. We are a convenient store and deli as well as provide gas at many of our locations.

I perform various managerial tasks including register and sales audits, and go over daily, weekly, and monthly reporting and FSSA audits. I oversee several employees training and development. – more... I perform cycle counts and inventory audits and assist in ordering process. My job also requires working with the customers and ensuring they have an pleasant experience providing them the items they are looking for as well as assisting in preparing their food. – less
Fast paced and enegergetic enviorment with great teamwork.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 16, 2013
Assisted customers with purchases, maintained the property both inside and out. Continuously stocked the coolers, kept products fronted and orderly. Maintained a first in first out inventory system.

I've learned that each customer is unique and provides new challenges and rewards. As a shift manager, I learned how to delegate responsibility and to – more... lead a team to productive and measurable results. Ensured money both in safe and cash register was reconciled prior and post shift.

The biggest challenge I faced while employed at Wawa was the constant change of leadership. Each General Manger had their own style that I would need to adjust to. It was a enjoyable challenge for it helped me grow as a team member.

Customers were far and away the best part of my job. I have built and maintain friendships with many of the customers. Even the most difficult customers were a pleasure to serve for they required deeper thinking and helped me hone my patience. – less
Unproductive, stressful work place
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Easton, PAMay 1, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: drama, no communication, stress, extremely inconsistent hours
Working with the customers is truly enjoyable, but the management does not listen to their employees at all, coworkers try to sabotage each other a lot, and there is a lot of drama between coworkers based on personal lives.
Better than most, not the greatest
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), La Plata, MDFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: active environment
Cons: sometimes overly demanding
While I can say the company promotes positive attitudes and activities for both employees and customers alike, there's something left to be decided. All the same, I was there for over 6 years. Not bad compared to some part time jobs.

About Wawa, Inc

Wawa, Inc., a privately held company, traces its roots back to 1803 as an iron foundry in New Jersey. Owner George Wood started – Read more