Wayland Baptist University Employee Reviews

fine place to work
External Degree Transcript coordinator (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXMarch 31, 2017
I learned how to look at transcripts from other colleges and see if any of the college courses would apply to the courses at Wayland. I worked with a good group of people.
New Nursing
FULLTIME NURSING STUDENT (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 5, 2017
They are new in the nursing program and have growing pains to overcome but with continuity and learning from mistakes this is a college that has potential.
work study
Dormitory Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJanuary 26, 2017
I worked at wayland all 4 years I went to school there and it was a great time. I like working as a RA because it provided good flexible hours that was possible for me to work at night
Pros
flexible
Cons
minimum wage
Library
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJanuary 8, 2017
Very manageable place to do studying and homework. Environment is very respectable. Others are very respectful of others
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No cons
student work
Student Worker, Chemistry Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXSeptember 7, 2016
I would go in and talk to the professor who was not in class at the time. I would ask what the task for the day is and then go and complete said task.
Productive workspace
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXAugust 10, 2016
As a student worker there were hardly any hours left to work, so within the moments during my time at work it was non-stop filing for students who were new to the University. Registration season was our most busiest month.
After registration work was slow and I was to tend to the professors needs when it came to supplies, printing, faxing, and mailing or e-mailing.
Pros
Worked with school schedule
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Environment
Academic Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZAugust 1, 2016
WBU is a great place to work. All the employees are kind and helpful. I am very lucky to have been able to work here for four years.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Poor Compensation
Good people, resistant to change
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Plainview, TXMay 31, 2016
The people are the best part of the job. There is a very family-like atmosphere. However, with any organization there are good seasons and bad. Current management is struggling to adapt to changing trends and culture. It is challenging to be taken seriously as a young, professional woman.
Full time student
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXApril 6, 2016
The university was very accommodating to the students and provided a extensive and thorough education. I would recommend the university to those professionals that are pursuing their advanced degrees.
Challenging work place
Accompanist for Children's Choir of Plainview (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXMarch 27, 2016
This school worked with me. Because anytime I was not in class I could go to work. I only was allowed 20 hrs a week, however, I could also make my schedule. I worked hard and the school was happy with my improvement.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits or work advancement
student worker (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXDecember 10, 2015
Worked under some great supervisors who were supportive. Jobs require discipline, nothing too extreme. All students are paid minimum wage.
Student Assistant at the Admissions Office (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXSeptember 2, 2015
When I used to go to work a typical day at it was to get there, and see if there is anything to do or help at the Admissions Office. Sit on my desk and start putting information of international students on the Data of the school, receive emails and phone calls from different international students that needed help on applying to the school. I learned different things like having responsibility on what I was doing, responsibility of being there on time and I learned how to manage different problems with calm and trying to take the best decision possible plus many new things that I learned on the computer. My co-workers was the part that I would enjoy the most, they were very nice and pretty respectful with everyone, we used to meet and eat something once a week.
Pros
lunch together
Great environment to work but low pay and benefits
Professor (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJune 14, 2015
I love Wayland's mission and legacy. However, the last few years have been rough and employees have had no pay raises and benefits have been reduced. Many job vacancies are not being replaced. It's really sad to see such bad times fall upon such a great institution.
Pros
Excellent collegiality and commitment to Christian principles
Cons
Low salaries, reduced benefits, tough times in a bad economy
An enjoyable and rewarding workplace that serves the greater good
Administrative Assistant - Education and Science (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 6, 2015
A typical day at work is very quiet but rewarding because I am able to help others. I have learned many things about working within the higher education arena such as how to be a team player and to be flexible within my job duties. My co-workers make my day more enjoyable because of their can do attitude and willingness to help one another. We have a solid management team with the good of the organization in mind as well as employee morale and wellness. The hardest part of my job is to be sure that I maintain my records for state accreditation. The most enjoyable part of my job is being a part of seeing our students succeed at earning their degrees and earning their certification.
Typical workplace with religious enviornment
Head Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJanuary 25, 2015
A typical day at work consists of arriving at 8am and working until 5pm. During the day you maintain student records such as their transcripts and degree plans. Contact is maintained with student's advisors via email and telephone. Most of the co-workers are easy to work with and nice. The hardest part of the job is waiting for advisors to get preliminary degree plans completed and corrected for the students. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with and the monthly birthday parties.
Pros
Scholarship for full time employees and their children
Cons
low pay
Sound and fine University
Ft Huachuca Senior Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Huachuca Sierra Vista, ArizonaJanuary 4, 2015
Wayland Baptist University offered me my training and back groud for working with the military. This includes VA certifications MOS, MSS credentialing and many other special avenues used when working with the military.
Pros
Good Atmospher
Cons
More Challenges
Student
Student - Bachelor of Applied Science (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Great place to be for professionals. I was just a student on a military GI bill plan. I completed a BAAS in aviation with a minor in management.
Easy teaching/life balance
Full-time Student (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 14, 2014
Wayland is my first Adjunct Instructor job and also my Alma Mater. It pays low for adjunct instructor position as I see it, but gives plenty of time for a work/life balance
Good Nursing Program
Adjunct Educator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2014
Wayland Baptist University is a good nursing school, a typical day at work was to meet your students and identify areas of improvement for their education discussing strategies for their goals.
Pros
Support from management was helpful
Cons
Students have many struggles in life aside from school
Veteran friendly
Adjunct Professor - Taught Computer Applications (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 23, 2014
10/11 - Present WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY, San Antonio, Texas
Adjunct Professor –
1. Computer Applications, MS Office with Access Database
2. Information Technology Theory
3. Cyberlife
4. Web Design

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wayland Baptist University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2