Wayland Baptist University Employee Reviews in United States

Good people, resistant to change
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Plainview, TXMay 31, 2016
The people are the best part of the job. There is a very family-like atmosphere. However, with any organization there are good seasons and bad. Current management is struggling to adapt to changing trends and culture. It is challenging to be taken seriously as a young, professional woman.
Challenging work place
Accompanist for Children's Choir of Plainview (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXMarch 27, 2016
This school worked with me. Because anytime I was not in class I could go to work. I only was allowed 20 hrs a week, however, I could also make my schedule. I worked hard and the school was happy with my improvement.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits or work advancement
Student Assistant at the Admissions Office (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXSeptember 2, 2015
When I used to go to work a typical day at it was to get there, and see if there is anything to do or help at the Admissions Office. Sit on my desk and start putting information of international students on the Data of the school, receive emails and phone calls from different international students that needed help on applying to the school. I learned different things like having responsibility on what I was doing, responsibility of being there on time and I learned how to manage different problems with calm and trying to take the best decision possible plus many new things that I learned on the computer. My co-workers was the part that I would enjoy the most, they were very nice and pretty respectful with everyone, we used to meet and eat something once a week.
Pros
lunch together
student worker (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXDecember 10, 2015
Worked under some great supervisors who were supportive. Jobs require discipline, nothing too extreme. All students are paid minimum wage.
Great environment to work but low pay and benefits
Professor (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJune 14, 2015
I love Wayland's mission and legacy. However, the last few years have been rough and employees have had no pay raises and benefits have been reduced. Many job vacancies are not being replaced. It's really sad to see such bad times fall upon such a great institution.
Pros
Excellent collegiality and commitment to Christian principles
Cons
Low salaries, reduced benefits, tough times in a bad economy
An enjoyable and rewarding workplace that serves the greater good
Administrative Assistant - Education and Science (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 6, 2015
A typical day at work is very quiet but rewarding because I am able to help others. I have learned many things about working within the higher education arena such as how to be a team player and to be flexible within my job duties. My co-workers make my day more enjoyable because of their can do attitude and willingness to help one another. We have a solid management team with the good of the organization in mind as well as employee morale and wellness. The hardest part of my job is to be sure that I maintain my records for state accreditation. The most enjoyable part of my job is being a part of seeing our students succeed at earning their degrees and earning their certification.
Typical workplace with religious enviornment
Head Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJanuary 25, 2015
A typical day at work consists of arriving at 8am and working until 5pm. During the day you maintain student records such as their transcripts and degree plans. Contact is maintained with student's advisors via email and telephone. Most of the co-workers are easy to work with and nice. The hardest part of the job is waiting for advisors to get preliminary degree plans completed and corrected for the students. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with and the monthly birthday parties.
Pros
scholarship for full time employees and their children
Cons
low pay
Sound and fine University
Ft Huachuca Senior Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Huachuca Sierra Vista, ArizonaJanuary 4, 2015
Wayland Baptist University offered me my training and back groud for working with the military. This includes VA certifications MOS, MSS credentialing and many other special avenues used when working with the military.
Pros
good atmospher
Cons
more challenges
Family Atmosphere
Manager, Record's Department (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 17, 2013
Wayland is a great place to work and feel like you are part of a family. Even though there are over sixty full time employees, most of which are located in one building, it still feels small and intimate.
WBU is a Christian environment so everyone who works there is held to an honor code.
Being that it is a private university, funding is not as readily available as it could be elsewhere. Generally people come to work at Wayland for the atmosphere as opposed to the compensation.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
small advancement opportunities, poor compensation
Relatively new office with very little management and low compensation
Secretary Business Office (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 13, 2013
I helped students with registration; made tuition collection calls and did quite a bit of filing.

I took this job as soon as I moved to San Antonio and it did not use my skills.

Management was not involved at all. There were no annual reviews. The pay was very low and there was no explanation. There was nowhere to advance at Wayland.

I was able to continue my college education.

I always enjoy interacting with people - that was my favorite part.
Pros
it was close to my home
Cons
pay and an inequitable manager
Working for Wayland
Online Professor of New Testament (Current Employee) –  Plainview, TXOctober 19, 2012
It's good for people who are committed to Christian education. Pay is very low, even for a private Christian school. I do the same work for three times the pay for a school very similar to Wayland. Other than that, it's fine. The faculty is amazing, and as a teacher you are able to do whatever you need to do without much interference. There is no meaningful opportunity for advancement - if you do work your way up, maybe after 30 years you can get to the level of compensation that you would have started at elsewhere.
Pros
opportunity to educate
Cons
pay is hopelessly below industry standard
Student Coach
Student Assistant Coach/Intramural Director (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXDecember 14, 2013
Student Assistant Coach Women’s Basketball/Intramural Director
Assisted Coaches with all operations of the; Women’s Basketball program. maintained inventory and purchases, recruited student athletes, stat maintenance, conditioning and strength training. Also, managed and organized the universities seasonal intramural program maintaining schedules and staff for all sports
Great place to be
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJanuary 31, 2014
WBU has an awesome culture in every way.

Small town life is not for everyone, but Wayland is a great company to work for. Managers care for employees.

WBU has a great sense of community and team work. Employees are happy.

Pay isn't great, but WBU is a great place to work in almost every other way!
Pros
you're a person here, not a number. very well managed and operated.
Cons
low pay
Good Nursing Program
Adjunct Educator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2014
Wayland Baptist University is a good nursing school, a typical day at work was to meet your students and identify areas of improvement for their education discussing strategies for their goals.
Pros
support from management was helpful
Cons
students have many struggles in life aside from school
Okay job for a student worker in college
Business Office worker (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXApril 30, 2014
Management is a little immature in Business office cares more about being cool than correcting bad behavior on her employees who tease and belittle other student worker for speech impediment.
Pros
slow paced job
Cons
rude student co-workers
Veteran friendly
Adjunct Professor - Taught Computer Applications (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 23, 2014
10/11 - Present WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY, San Antonio, Texas
Adjunct Professor –
1. Computer Applications, MS Office with Access Database
2. Information Technology Theory
3. Cyberlife
4. Web Design
Fun workplace and tons of support
PBX Operator (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJune 28, 2013
This place is awesome. It allowed me to attend school and work inbetween scheduled classes. The provided great support for me in my schooling and personal life. Absolutely a fun environment to be in.
Pros
great coworkers
Easy teaching/life balance
Full-time Student (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 14, 2014
Wayland is my first Adjunct Instructor job and also my Alma Mater. It pays low for adjunct instructor position as I see it, but gives plenty of time for a work/life balance
Prepared me for NCLEX!
Full-time Student Nurse/ Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 23, 2013
I learned so much in the BSN program at Wayland Baptist University and am so appreciative to my instructors for providing me with the vast knowledge and experiences for my RN career.
Branch of Wayland - great way to complete your degree
Counselor/Administrative Aid (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 23, 2012
Take advantage of working on your degree. This is a great way to complete it.
Pros
great sense of accomplishment to help students work towards their goals.

4.2