Wayne State University Employee Reviews

Wayne State
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 20, 2017
Graduate students get great benefits! I'm working there because I'm a graduate student, not because I sought long term employment there. I hear its a rough environment for long term employees.
great opportunity to learn
Graduate teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 17, 2017
A relaxed and convenient place to work with great faculty and staff. also a great opportunity to learn and improve your knowledge. Nice campus in midtown Detroit.
Not the best place to work
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 16, 2017
i worked a lot, even at night
i learned a lot though. the hardest part was the uncertainty, the most enjoyable were the people around me-very nice and helpful
Great Place to work
Consultant/Lead Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DetroitNovember 14, 2017
I enjoyed my time at WSU - great culture in an urban setting - able to learn and meet experienced and wonderful people. Would definitely recommend this place.
Pros
academic culture
great place to work
Lead CAD designer for micro batteries (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 11, 2017
as mentioned it was a great place to work and gain experience while going to school in several multi disciplinary aspects of engineering . the diverse work space helped me grow as an individual and develop great skills quirking in a team and problem solving .
This was a practicum expereince
Counselor in Training (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 9, 2017
This was a class for my graduate degree where I was practicing all counseling skills with real clients. This prepared me for my internships and put me in a good position to move forward.
Wsu
Web Design Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 9, 2017
Great place to work and advance one's career in the fields that anyone could think of Mastering or Majoring in.

So many different kinds of people that makes things better.
Pros
Education
Cons
Limted Time
Excellent benefits but no job security.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 9, 2017
A typical day would consist of an in person interview with people with life threatening diseases. These interviews can take anywhere from 90 minutes to 5 hours. Collected biological specimens and physical measurements. I learned how to listen to patient and be patient before interviewing started. The hardest part was seeing the patient in pain and listening to their story. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patient smile because they made it to the next phrase in their life.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No where to advance in research, No job security, low pay
Great school with great professors
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 7, 2017
Reviewed papers and wrote papers while consulting a little on the side. Learned how instrumentation is used, while learning several computer languages. The management was very good. The workplace culture was exceptional; everyone got along. The hardest part of the job was writing the Ph.D. thesis. The most enjoyable part of the job was matching the experimental data to the computer model.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Was Fun learning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 6, 2017
I did learn a lot about my research topic working as a research assistant. It is an interesting job. Not only I get to work under on of the most esteem faculty but also discover something new everyday..
Job security is the main problem
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 3, 2017
It is a place that you can reach your goals if you work hard enough. However, job security is a big issue that should be addressed to increase the productivity of employees.
Chief Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 24, 2017
I very much enjoyed working with energetic students and faculty researchers. I also enjoyed teaching Total Quality Management classes to Wayne Statue University staff. This class taught employees how to be customer focused, and to put continual emphasis on process improvement.
Great learning experience
Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 21, 2017
I had the opportunity to work with Veterans (like myself) who served in the Armed Forces who needed help transitioning back into civilian life. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help others like myself. Hardest part: Not being able to offer them more of the things they rightfully deserved. Workplace: The environment was great because it was a place to meet all different kinds of people in the Wayne State University Educational environment.
Pros
Being able to work with other Veterans.
Cons
Not receiving enough money from the Govt. to do more for the Vets.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 19, 2017
Long term employees really have old school attitudes about communication with others, and can come off rude and unhelpful. People are not really interested in each other as people - very corporate culture in that respect. No real training for systems you have to know and use.
Pros
2, 20 min breaks p/daymple: Free lunches, etc.
Cons
culture is antiquated
Environmental
Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 19, 2017
There where many tasks, that were taking place during the time I worked at this facility. The people where great and always helpful. As well as environmental you never knew who you meet.
Pretty decent place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 17, 2017
It's a school, for one. If your career path involves extensive research about your major, this is a great place to work. They have top-of-the-line testing labs to expand your goals with new, exciting discoveries each and every day.
Fun and easy going student job
Rock Climbing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 17, 2017
Very relaxed atmosphere. Yearly cleaning during the holidays. Management are "out to get you" if you are not liked by then. A friendly atmosphere between patrons and employees.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
management
Great Institution of Higher Learning
Academic Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48202October 17, 2017
The worklife balance is great. WSU has my heart and will always have it. The students and the school are awesome. The location is even better. It is a honorable and top 25 University.
Okay
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 13, 2017
Working in a research lab is never fun.You do a lot of work, and most of it is in your area of interest since you have taken it up. The professors are understanding. Learnt a lot from them.
Taught myself how to do pre and post grant administrtion processes
Grant Writer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 10, 2017
I really grew administratively in this position based on the level of responsibility and accuracy required to complete the submission on a prescribed timeline and meet the requirements in the Grant Submission packages.
Pros
Helped secure millions in grants for the University
Cons
Job required a lot of research and editing