Wayne State University Employee Reviews

Moving in the right direction in terms of creating a team environment
Parking Division Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 30, 2016
The Parking and Transportation at Wayne State University is moving in the right direction in terms of creating a team environment. It has been a very slow process in getting the right technology in place to ensure a smooth and efficient work environment. Because of this, the parking attendant has had to work harder instead of smarter and being in a university setting this is simply unacceptable.
Great environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 19, 2016
Fun environment with lot of emphasis on community engagement. Great colleagues and good people in senior management. Offer decent pay with ability to take classes and fill knowledge gaps
Nice environment to work
Office Manager/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 15, 2016
The office place was an enjoyable work environment with a great working team. However, I was not able to put my degree and experience to use.
Pros
Friendly work team
Cons
No opportunity for me to grow
Wayne State University is a great place to work.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 20, 2016
A typical day at work, is responding to residence request for service on their apartments or dorm rooms. This position has afforded me the opportunity to learn new skill and improve others. Wayne State University is an environment where management and staff work together to successfully provide students with courteous and professional service. The hardest part of the position is watching students leave at the conclusion of their education. The most enjoyable part of my position is meeting and working with the students each semester.
Excellent place to work, with some negative aspects.
Building Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 27, 2015
In spite of it's urban setting, this university has a good safe environment.
University police are fully-enpowered officers of the law, since they all are graduates of the Detroit Police Academy.
All colleges are highly-regarded, especially the School of Medicine.
Some on-site housing is available, but a large percentage of the student body is commuters.
Parking is inadequate, and no employees are entitled to free parking.
Parking structures and lots on site are both pay as you go and payroll deductible. Either is costly.
The work environment varies from location to location, due to aging facilities and new ongoing construction.
Physical resources management is highly capable.
Pay scale is negotiated with union contracts, as are benefits.
Benefits package is competitive, and so is salary.
Extremely interesting place to work.
Excellent reason to use car-pooling, but no formal arrangements in place for this purpose.
Pros
Safe environment, good schooling.
Cons
Inadequate and expensive parking.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 10, 2016
worked for WSU for ten years;
engaging company where you can learn and grow into other positions.
my position was phased out
Pros
excellent employer
Cons
downsizing
Good place to learn the foundation of Faciliteis Managment
Director of Plant Operations and Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 24, 2016
Environment requires doing more with less. It can be challenging but the rewards in terms of satisfaction for a job well done are substantial. Require a seasoned HR and Labor Relations background.
Pros
Tight knit culture
Good position
UTV Temporary employee (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 13, 2016
Great position:

Outstanding location: the campus is beautiful

Good people: Staff was great, and helped in any area that was needed.

Great pay: better than a lot of other companies I've worked for
Great atomsophere and a team effort
TRiO Student Support Services (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 1, 2016
Wayne State is filled with great employees its like having another family outside of your original family. The campus is amazing everything is up to date and if you enjoy diversity its the right place for you.
Very laid back place to work.
Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 17, 2016
I worked as a front dest assistant while going to school. Being able to work and go to school is an ideal job for a college student. They made it easy and steady work place.
Very busy production center
Assistant Professor and Head of Scenic Design (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 29, 2016
Good old boys organization that hires from within. Big personalities. Do some nice production work, but at times quality suffers from the amount of productions they put on each year.
Great Employer
New Student Orientation (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 12, 2016
Amazing company to work for. Provided a wonderful work atmosphere for us and the customers. You are compensated very well for your hard work.
Pros
free food
very good experiance
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 3, 2016
Teaching is the most enjoyable thing I like to do. Working for Wayne State University for 5 years as part time job helped me a lot with pursuing my PhD study.
It is a good place to work for.
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 4, 2016
Because of the size of the organization, there is room for advancement. The hardest part of the job, was at the beginning of a semester when many students are trying to get their affairs in order. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the students got their affairs in order.
Great Place to work
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 20, 2016
Great Place to work for with flexible hours and good pay. Higher authorities are co-operative and helpful. Overall I love working here.
Wayne State
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 9, 2016
Great company to work for really great company

Fast pace lots of college students
Great learning environment
Enjoy my tender here and company
Company will continue to grow
Productive.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 17, 2016
This is a good company to work with. Highly qualified staff, with a friendly environment to work with. Flexible timings.
A good job for someone who likes dealing with customers.
Parking Security Attendant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 8, 2012
A typical day at works involves meeting the customer needs when it comes to parking at the University. I learned a lot about customer service and how to deal with the public. Management is always trying to find new ways in making the parking experinence as great as possible. We're short handed, but my co-workers are working extra hard to compensate for the lack of man power.The hardest part of the job is taking verbal abuse from the customers and not reacting. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the customer lets you know that you were a great help in their enjoyment of the University experience.
Pros
free tution, and health benefits.
Cons
verbal abuse from the customers, and managment hiring more employees.
Great startup job
Teaching Assistant- Histology (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 10, 2016
Great job that taught me how to communicate effectively my thoughts and ideas. It keeps my mind sharp in order to assess the proper topics and teach them appropriately. The best thing about working as a Teaching Assistant is making that lasting impact on students even after they leave my class.
Progressive environment within the right atmosphere
General Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 26, 2013
A typical day at work involves anything from entering an application into the University system to helping a student find their lost cell phone. It usually starts off quiet with checking email and voice mail messages, then escalates into problem solving for students and staff. I have learned a lot about different cultures, communities and myself. My supervisor is the greatest person in the world to work for, but it is time for me to grow and move on and she supports me wholeheartedly. My co-workers are generally nice and value what I do for them. The hardest part of my job is the constant work flow, but this is where my multi-tasking skills come in handy. The most enjoyable part is satisfying an agent and/or student and receiving praise after I have helped them solve their problem in a timely manner.
Pros
free tuition for full-time employees and half price tuition for their dependents, health care package
Cons
job security is recently lacking and ability to progress is not as easy as it once was

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wayne State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3