WEA Trust Employee Reviews

Flexible to work/life balance and needs
Web Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 26, 2017
I was downsized and outsourced. While I truly enjoyed working here, the market conditions have the WEA trust operating under shakey circumstances - which should be considered if looking for long term employment.
Innovative Thinking
Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 23, 2017
Management and Leadership teams are open to new ideas and are focused on what is best for their members and staff. Benefits are great and strong focus on culture and employee engagement.
I'm glad I got out before I sank with the ship
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 30, 2016
Boy, where to start...

I worked at the Trust for about two years. Was VERY excited to start because it seemed like a company that really cared about the people they served--started by a teachers' union, focused on quality, and so on. Plus the salary was pretty generous in comparison with where I was. Bragged about the "flat management structure" when I was interviewed, I'd be reporting right to my VP, easy to access CEO.

When I got there things changed. In my short tenure, I remember at least four reorganizations throughout the company, and leadership still feels completely lost. There was a tendency to blame current state issues on the decisions of those who were no longer at the company, to a point where it seemed to hinder moving forward and solving the problem. The company instituted a salary freeze, then different directors proceeded to promote certain staff to management roles without any real change in their job duties. When I left, I knew of several people who were titled "supervisors" or "managers" and had no direct reports.

Regarding the job itself: it continually felt that, rather than develop products in-house, the preferred course was to subcontract with vendors for flashy add-ons. Big red flag, product developers: sales runs product development.

There is an upside--the staff I worked with really did care about helping customers, and each other. Management should take a step back and look at those people who have been with the Trust for decades. Those people and their dedication are the reason the Trust was once great, and could be the way for it to
  more... be great again.  less
Pros
Caring, dedicated staff
Cons
Management is very much adrift
A company that has lost its way.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison WIOctober 25, 2016
This company was founded by a union to provide teachers with health insurance, and was once a leader in providing quality health care coverage and service, due in large part to its own unionized workforce. It is sad that they are now in the process of marginalizing their unionized employees. They have gone so far as to impose a contract without its organized employees' consent, despite the union's attempts to come to an agreement.

Years of poor management decisions have led the company to near ruin, and they continue to do so. Jobs at the Trust used to be one-of-a-kind, with customer service reps staying on the phones for ten, twenty, and even thirty years. A drive to meet "industry standard" completely negates and is eroding the areas like customer service in which we far exceed the standard, and as a consequence such long term workers will probably be a thing of the past.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Poor decisions at the top.
Great company in financial decline
Medical Services Operations and Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 15, 2016
The Trust is a wonderful organization that is unfortunately, slowly going out of business. With membership at an all time low, prospects are slim. The organization relies heavily on enrolling health plan members from the state and the state is transitioning to a self-funded health plan. While the organization has worked hard to bring in new business it has not been successful.
The people at the Trust are fabulous and the benefits are top-notch.
Pros
Flexible hours, convenient location, excellent benefits
Cons
Unstable financially, lay-offs looming
nice coworkers
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 16, 2016
Not a good atmosphere to work in. micromanaged and not many places to move up to. My coworker's were awesome to work with.
Work at Trust
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  madison,wiApril 6, 2015
A typical day at work would start at 8am till 4 or 5pm . Its a very challenging environment as there are many parallel projects going on at the same time which involve implementation of various new tools. The management is takes decision which haunt the IT department or the company at the later stages when implementing new projects and review is being conducted.
A company making a difference
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 1, 2014
A fun place to work where I learnt a lot.
A place where I met some very good contacts.
productive
Administrative Assistant/Configurator (Current Employee) –  Madison WIApril 23, 2014
very valuable work experience
dealt with duplicates
manaual reviews
COB's
pricing
payments
denials
Pros
knowledge
Cons
ending too soon
Smaller company with archaic processes and procedures
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 11, 2013
Lots of opportunity to improve, and hence lots of work to be done. In the midst of a culture change and much like every place that is used to doing things a certain way, there is some mild resistance in implementing new procedures and processes. Hence, its been a slow transition.
n/a
Health Claims Coder (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 6, 2013
This used to be a fantastic place to work until 3-4 years ago when a new CEO/President took over. Since then there have been Layoffs.
A great place to work but going through cultural changes
Employee (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 23, 2013
This was a great place to work but the environment changed because of the changes in the state political/worker environment. The company is going through many changes by changing its marketing strategy and reining in costs. My co-workers are very knowledgeable and caring as we go through the stresses of change and downsizing.
Pros
Great Benefits, caring co-workers
Cons
Sad to see good people leave because of down sizing
Helpful, Entertaining Job
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 8, 2013
Much of this job for me is done independently, but even so I feel like I know some of the members of the marketing team. They are always willing to help me out or give me an extension if necessary. I have learned quite a bit about what goes into internet research as far as marketing pitches go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WEA Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4