WebAssign Employee Reviews

Excellent Culture, Great Vision
National/International Channel Director (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 4, 2016
Loved all of my Co-Workers- we all worked well as a team. The culture of WebAssign is very innovative, forward thinking- Managers always have an open door policy. WebAssign as of last week was acquired by Cengage Learning.
Great job
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 19, 2016
Great Job, by far the greatest job I have had thus far. This job cares about its employees and believe in balancing Home life, social life, and career life as well.
Employee Driven
Sales (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 25, 2016
This company really values their employees and celebrates living with a work/life balance. A lot of your job satisfaction will depend on your department. If you are looking for a company that promotes from within, WebAssign has found a great balance of using internal and external resources.
Empty, frustrating experience
Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 19, 2016
I worked in the content creation side of the WebAssign for a few years. It wasn't objectively bad, but it became a pretty frustrating place to work. I look back at that time in my career as something of an empty hole.

Creating question content at WebAssign is working on a homework assembly line. Assembly lines aren't bad, but it's mentally exhausting work with very little connection to how the finished product is used. Most of the feedback you get is negative---on a good day when everything goes right, you don't get any feedback at all.

The processes that existed while I was at the company were essentially set in stone---no deviating from the way it's supposed to be done unless you could make a business case for why it would make the company more money. That might be a profitable way to run a company, but it stifles creativity. There was very little interest in new ideas from our side of the company, or even in letting us break up the monotony a little with other tasks. (One major positive: I never really had to bring work home with me.)

The management of the company frustrated me the most. A constant refrain at WebAssign is that they're an "education company," which I think is mostly how they justify not investing in the technical expertise and IT infrastructure needed to run a functional *software* company.

And there were some serious problems with the IT side of things. My perception was that the management didn't take any of those issues seriously until it all blew up on them in 2013. The fact that they fired a bunch of non-technical staff after a major management
  more... screwup was predictable, but still felt like a betrayal from a company that constantly reminded itself that it was "different."

All of the popular buzzwords were commonly used there---"disruptive innovation" and that kind of thing. WebAssign exists because STEM faculty and even grad students are expensive. Colleges are looking for ways to not hire new people and pack 200 students into a Calc I class with the same number of instructors they used to have. WebAssign gives them the tools to make that at least somewhat workable. It's heartbreaking that this is the reality of higher education, but at WebAssign it's called "innovation."

That sounds pretty bitter, and maybe a little unfair. But I spent a lot of days going into a dull and thankless job, contributing to a system that makes for a worse student experience. Eventually I reached a point where I couldn't handle the spin anymore.

All of that said, my immediate co-workers were all kind and pleasant people, the pay was okay, and the benefits were pretty good. I'm not crazy about the open office floor plan, but if you're into that sort of thing, they've got it.
Pros
People
Cons
Management, company mission
Great place to make very little impact
Full time (Current Employee) –  Raleigh NCAugust 15, 2015
If you want a place to show up and do less than challenging work on a daily basis, this is the place for you. That is the job security two stars factor. Everything about it is lackluster, out dated and stale; the "culture", technology, innovation and reoccurring "struggles" of the company as a whole. Management has no clue how to mindfully engage much less walk the walk the expect of others. Drones for the most part. Advancement? Unless this is your first job, don't expect to be compensated nor find a path to higher career success, there are none with no where for a person with any experience to go in this company.
Pros
Lots of natural light in the office
Cons
Too many to list
No room for advancement
Lead technical suppor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 6, 2014
They passed me over for a promotion 3 times because they kept changing the requirements. They changed the way my position worked and I was stuck on phones all day long.

Co workers were nice
Management will work with you and are nice
typical day at work would be answering phones, reporting bugs, and answering emails.
I learned there are some building customer loyalty, writing up bug reports, calming customers down. and how to deal with angry customers.
Hardest part of the job was when the IT or development teams did something and crashed the system. We then had more calls than we could handle
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to hear the pleasure in people's voices when I fixed their problems.
Pros
Great health insurance, free food, birthday party every month, year end bonus
Cons
very boring, They changed the way the advancement worked so I did not meet the qualifications, Changed my job so it was no longer a liaison between Development and customer service
Fun and interesting modern tech workplace
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 13, 2013
A typical day at this job was definitely one of the best experiences I've ever had in a workplace because it was a brand new facility with very casual rules on dress code. The management was very awesome and relaxed, always something to be done, and they were always teaching me things. Of course I had a say in anything that I wanted to learn hands-on, but the hardest part of the job was data analytics, and gathering information on every single school that was using the WebAssign software. Otherwise, the workplace was by far the nicest that I have ever worked at.
Pros
Great people, awesome facilities, and great oportunity
Cons
They look for people who have expertise in the technical, rather than the business side of computing

Want to know more about WebAssign?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WebAssign. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3