Wegmans Employee Reviews

Found 1,220 reviews matching the search
Co-Workers are excellent
Produce Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MD 20876March 10, 2017
I love going to work beside my co-workers. We have established a family like atmosphere within the workplace. Dealing with the public can be daunting, but we lean on each other for support. The management could use being a bit more adaptive to their employees. There is a culture of "every man for himself" in upper management and they like an employee that is willing to turn on their fellow workmate if the need arises. The job is very labor intensive, with little recognition from management. That is why I am grateful for my co-workers. We are all in the same boat. I will say that if you are young, eager and willing to do an occasional backstabbing, then you will go far in this company. Sad to say. Everyone sings the praises of this company, but there is a behind the scenes culture that could use a lot of work.
Pros
Benefits (FT), Advancement
Cons
Work culture, upper management
Don't care about college students
Front End Employee (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Unless you plan on Wegmans being your career, they do not care about you. You're looked down upon if you attend college and are not very good with your availability. Moving up is extremely hard unless you know someone, regardless of how good of a worker you are. No discounts on food is also ridiculous. I have worked here 3.5 years, rarely call in sick, am always on time, have never gotten a customer complaint, and always do my best work and somehow someone who has gotten a suspension moves up in the company before me because they know someone. Wegmans is all about playing the games and knowing people and doesn't value the qualities that a career that requires an education does. Lots of people love working here don't get me wrong; this is just my personal experience.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Rude customers, constantly changing management, moving up
Don't care about college students
Front End Employee (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 16, 2017
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Rude customers, constantly changing management, moving up
Great Place to work...but it is hard work!
Customer Service Representative Prepared Foods (Current Employee) –  Dickson City, PAOctober 14, 2016
If you are looking for a great place to work Wegmans is an awesome place.
The salary is competitive, advancement encouraged, and the culture of diversity and a "happy" workplace makes it a place where you don;t dread going to work.
That being said, working in the kitchen is not for the faint of heart! It is hard work but the teamwork emphasized makes the work go by fast.
They offer benefits for art time workers.
Because of the emphasis on incredible customer service, we are trained to welcome and treat all customers with a smile and work hard to give them what they expect from Wegmans. The customers are generally pleasant.
The flexible schedule is really helpful and they respect the needs of families.
It is like working for a small mom and op kind of place.
the hardest thing is the kitchen seems to be understaffed so sometimes the work load is incredible.
Pros
flexible schedule, competative salary, regular raises, vacation for part time workers
Not good for part-time workers who are easily stressed or have anxiety
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  DeWitt, NYSeptember 15, 2016
I worked at the Wegmans in Dewitt NY, I worked in the produce department. I feel like they were unrealistic with expectations on busy days, we were regularly understaffed, the management was not specific on what areas to work for me, management got angry at me because I was unaware they wanted me to do the entire "backs" and bare in mind there was just me and two others on the floor until about 1 pm. This was a Sunday, and they expected me to cover the bagged apples, citrus, and bananas, as well as potatoes and onions. I was lucky to get one of my two legally required breaks.

So in summery, way too high expectations thrown at one if not the lowest paid part-timer in the department. I make barely more than my state minimum wage.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Overly high expectations for low wages, insensitivity to those with anxiety disorders, understaffed department, no likelyhood of advancement or raises for part-timers
20 years later and I'm still struggling
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYDecember 22, 2016
After starting as a clerk and working my way up to management over the last 20 years, I find this company has done a 180. Gone are the days of a career with a company that prides itself as one of the best companies to work for. I have struggled my whole life and find that as I've got older, Myself and other employees are being replaced by young, college grads, and told we are not a good fit for the positions we've held for years. I have little retirement and never will be able to thanks to the lack of good health insurance, low pay, and awful hours that do not allow for me to pick up a second job. Once a generous company that bent over backwards for its employees has now forced them to step down from positions of power to avoid paying them what a college grad would do for half. Also, do not get injured on the job or they will surely give you more work to do to force you to quit or they will let you go when you return because you cannot handle the position anymore.
Pros
Free lunch, Good vacation benefits, Great customers
Cons
Low pay, no health insurance, cannot use as reference if you quit, must be willing to work a different schedule every week
can be very physically challenging, great benefits
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Pottsville, PAMarch 16, 2017
although wegmans company on the whole is great, the distribution center is not. things change practically everyday, and not for the better. too many young managers, not experienced enough and not educated in the warehouse enough to manage. Other managers and team leaders seem to run with that title and have egos bigger than the grand canyon. HR listens, unfortunately they will never have your back, only managements. But benefits are great, hours are ok, ot not mandatory, no point system, great wellness center and often feed you a meal. If you can go to work, keep your mouth shut, and do WHATEVER you are asked, pretty much, be their robot, then you will be ok.
Pros
top notch exercise gym, no point system in place
Cons
constant management changes, your suggestions are never considered
Everyone is so friendly and supportive.
Cook II (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJanuary 16, 2017
I enjoy going to work at Wegmans everyday. My fellow employees are all very kind and welcoming. As Wegmans employees we are always putting the customers needs first. We go above and beyond to assist the customer as much as we can. Wegmans does a great job with work/life balance. The managers are always understanding when asking for days off and giving the employee the time off they need. The job can be stressful sometimes. Especially around the Holidays as the store gets very busy. But there are different problems that can occur daily that can effect how the day goes, making some days stressful. Attitude can help make your day better. Wegmans employees seem to love their job and maintain a positive attitude.
Pros
Coupons on items, employee appreciation, great benefits
Cons
long shifts.
Good company to work for. It is retail business , It is not for everyone.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYDecember 6, 2016
Cashier ,entry level position: it is a hard job. You are expected to stand on your feet for your entire shift. an 8hr day gets 2 15min breaks and 1 half hour break. You are expected to stand for at least 2hrs before your break sometimes 3hrs. Your are the main department that interacts with the customers.
During those hours your are standing at your register and checking out the customer's groceries. It is generally a repetitive job. The company does offer advancement with in the company to other departments;you must meet job transfer requirements.
The people you meet and work with are what makes the job They are very nice people to work with and work for. The company does offer many benefits.
Pros
nice people to work with and the benefits
Cons
Retail business
Great workplace.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAMarch 6, 2017
At Wegmans, everyday I come in contact with hundreds of individuals. This has helped me with communicating with people regularly. I learned a lot through my Wegmans experience. The main thing I learned is to treat people with respect when talking to them. Management at Wegmans is great. The managers are always willing to lend a hand and help out. At Wegmans, the culture that management has created is fantastic. Management does a great job of creating a team environment where everyone plays a key part. The hardest part of the job is communicating with angry customers. Sometimes people get disgruntled while grocery shopping and take it out on the cashiers. When this happens, I learned it is important to not engage in anything that might further anger the customer. The most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with people. I consider myself a pretty social person, so I enjoy talking to people all day.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Very fun company despite retail environment
Produce Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Warrington, PAFebruary 3, 2017
A typical day at work in most departments involves maintaining sales floor stock, assisting custumers, and preparing for the following day. I have learned countless skills including pallet jack and walk-and-reach use, as well as various cooking/food prep tips. Management is very helpful albeit surprisingly uninformed at times. Workplace culture is very positive at Wegmans. Daily "W" stretches, as well as annual celebrations of company accomplishments. The hardest part of the job is most certainly the customer interaction as well as the odd hours required in the retail industry. The most enjoyable part about working at Wegmans is the other coworkers.
Enjoyable and influential work enviornment
full-time overnight grocery and dairy (Former Employee) –  Township of Ocean, NJJanuary 6, 2017
I feel that there are very few businesses that operate like Wegmans. Most people that work here are happy with what they do, but they are also looking for opportunities to move up within the company. The management will influence people to take promotions or better job opportunities either within or outside the company. The management and supporting staff were very supportive of myself transitioning into the Army. Wegmans was not a good fit for me, but it was definitely a great start.
Pros
internships, healthcare, dental, scholarships
Cons
Overal a very solid part time position for a high school/ college student.
Cashier & Helping Hands Employee (Current Employee) –  Manalapan, NJFebruary 26, 2017
A typical day at work involves assisting hundreds and thousands of customers, whether at checkout or on the floor. Very fast paced environment which includes sharp reactions and quick mobility. I learned how to be a professional apart of a company in the Fortune Top 100. Management doesn't communicate very well with employees, but you can't blame them. There is a lot on their plates. Wegmans is a workplace centered around the customers needs first. We go up and beyond to ensure that our customers are always happy once they leave through the exit doors. We are very hard working individuals who thrive to ensure that. The hardest part of the job is to stand in one confined spot for hours. The most enjoyable part is the people you meet, whether it's your coworkers or customers.
Pros
paid weekly, small benefits for part timers
Cons
Poor management communications, limited full time positions, low pay for college graduates. Max 32 hours per week for part timers.
Not a great experience
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 7, 2017
I worked as a Pharmacy Technician at several locations in the Rochester area. In my experience, I found that some members of the pharmacy department management teams have little experience leading others, and/or little experience in the field of pharmacy itself. There is a lot of focus on the business aspect. National pharmacy technician certification is not required with this pharmacy chain, so my certification was not recognized. It was not a good fit for me.
Pros
Great benefits. Generosity with fruit, sandwiches, lunches, etc, in break room
Cons
No 10 minute breaks in pharmacy department
Fantastic company to work for.
Produce Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAFebruary 13, 2017
I have worked with this company for 5 years and I have zero complaints. Great management team and very friendly environment. Job security is a key aspect of this company as well as customer service. Have not met a nicer group of employees.
Pros
Benefits, hours, nice staff.
Cons
Having to deal with rude customers
It's all an act
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 28, 2016
Unless you're a pretty, young, female millennial, forget about advancing. At least this is true in the Buffalo area Wegmans stores. Not sure about other areas of the company, but it's starting to open so many stores in other places that don't know Wegmans that just about anyone is getting selected for positions of leadership. And if you do get to advance it takes forever and even then you get screwed. Work life balance is great if you're part time. If you're full time or in a leadership position in a department, forget it. Some of the most time I spent has been working so hard for this company that I have missed out on things with my friends and family. Not as much thanks or compensation as I deserved. Management is either really dense or they're turning a blind eye to the favoritism. Some people have deserved their growth and promotions, but on the whole it's like the blindness leading the blind, except the blind being led have all the talent and knowledge. Looks great on paper and wins lots of awards, but I can tell you from my years of experience that it's all a joke. The owners of the company need to do a little digging. There are tons of unhappy people in their stores.
Pros
People/friends, high quality product to be proud of
Cons
Division mgmt, favoritism
VERY Political atmosphere
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 4, 2016
I would NOT recommend working here. The night management team is GREAT but once you get past them it's a nightmare The upper management team does not care about the night crew, in their opinion night team is the worst department in the store. The teamwork DOESNT exist. Your going to do more work on your own with VERY little acknowledgement. Also the team members that do cause problems don't get addressed about it at all. If you haven't worked with the team since the store opened then your an outcast.
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS, pay
Cons
Just get to take lunch break sometimes, no teamwork, management, job security
Highly Recommend
Prepared Foods Chef (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 17, 2017
Great place to work. A lot of room for advancement of you are willling to take risks. Management is very concerned about your personal development as well. Fun, fast paced, working environment!
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No employee discounts on food
Wegmans Food Markets
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 7, 2017
Major supermarket chain. I worked my way from part time to full-time employment.
I cashiered sometimes the number of people waiting to be checked out was more than the help we had. This made some people irate. I also returned unwanted items to the shelves or departments. This was a very physically taxing job. Lots of heavy lifting and lack of support from management made it tough.
Pros
Good healthcare and scholarship benefits.
Cons
No breaks or lunches on busy days. Not even allowed to use the rest room.
Great for benefits, excellent pay, high stress
Baker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 26, 2017
Lots of complaints from the Buffalo Division- it's a mess. Management isn't always a stable position- have had 4 managers and 5 team leaders in three years. New management members tend to come in on a power trip and aren't open to any suggestions or solutions from experienced employees. Managers (particularly those 20-30 yrs old) are severely lacking in communication skills with other dept heads and their own employees. Scheduling is not as flexible as the company brags about, when you're full time. Was told by upper management that (off the record) full timers 'aren't really allowed an availability and should be open to any time scheduled'. Have had weeks where I started at 3 different times per week between 12 am to 4 am. Have also had weeks where I was scheduled 6-8+ days in a row, conveniently arranged to where it didn't count as overtime. Bakers tend to be in short supply as not many people want to work that shift (anywhere about 12 am- 5 am start time) and many times, stores end up short handed. Be prepared to pick up extra slack without complaint. Expect to work most if not all holidays and it's not easy to get a day off on a weekend. Have to constantly fight to get 2 days off in a row. On the plus side, the pay is pretty good for shift differential and (so long as you're not a problem employee) you get 2 raises a year. Benefits are good as well.
Pros
Benefits, shift differential pay, twice yearly raises
Cons
Management, high stress, often short-handed, work almost all holidays and every weekend

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wegmans. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3