Wegmans Employee Reviews

Found 1,225 reviews matching the search
Co-Workers are excellent
Produce Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MD 20876March 10, 2017
I love going to work beside my co-workers. We have established a family like atmosphere within the workplace. Dealing with the public can be daunting, but we lean on each other for support. The management could use being a bit more adaptive to their employees. There is a culture of "every man for himself" in upper management and they like an employee that is willing to turn on their fellow workmate if the need arises. The job is very labor intensive, with little recognition from management. That is why I am grateful for my co-workers. We are all in the same boat. I will say that if you are young, eager and willing to do an occasional backstabbing, then you will go far in this company. Sad to say. Everyone sings the praises of this company, but there is a behind the scenes culture that could use a lot of work.
Pros
Benefits (FT), Advancement
Cons
Work culture, upper management
Don't care about college students
Front End Employee (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Unless you plan on Wegmans being your career, they do not care about you. You're looked down upon if you attend college and are not very good with your availability. Moving up is extremely hard unless you know someone, regardless of how good of a worker you are. No discounts on food is also ridiculous. I have worked here 3.5 years, rarely call in sick, am always on time, have never gotten a customer complaint, and always do my best work and somehow someone who has gotten a suspension moves up in the company before me because they know someone. Wegmans is all about playing the games and knowing people and doesn't value the qualities that a career that requires an education does. Lots of people love working here don't get me wrong; this is just my personal experience.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Rude customers, constantly changing management, moving up
Don't care about college students
Front End Employee (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 16, 2017
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Rude customers, constantly changing management, moving up
Everyone is so friendly and supportive.
Cook II (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJanuary 16, 2017
I enjoy going to work at Wegmans everyday. My fellow employees are all very kind and welcoming. As Wegmans employees we are always putting the customers needs first. We go above and beyond to assist the customer as much as we can. Wegmans does a great job with work/life balance. The managers are always understanding when asking for days off and giving the employee the time off they need. The job can be stressful sometimes. Especially around the Holidays as the store gets very busy. But there are different problems that can occur daily that can effect how the day goes, making some days stressful. Attitude can help make your day better. Wegmans employees seem to love their job and maintain a positive attitude.
Pros
Coupons on items, employee appreciation, great benefits
Cons
long shifts.
can be very physically challenging, great benefits
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Pottsville, PAMarch 16, 2017
although wegmans company on the whole is great, the distribution center is not. things change practically everyday, and not for the better. too many young managers, not experienced enough and not educated in the warehouse enough to manage. Other managers and team leaders seem to run with that title and have egos bigger than the grand canyon. HR listens, unfortunately they will never have your back, only managements. But benefits are great, hours are ok, ot not mandatory, no point system, great wellness center and often feed you a meal. If you can go to work, keep your mouth shut, and do WHATEVER you are asked, pretty much, be their robot, then you will be ok.
Pros
top notch exercise gym, no point system in place
Cons
constant management changes, your suggestions are never considered
Good company to work for. It is retail business , It is not for everyone.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYDecember 6, 2016
Cashier ,entry level position: it is a hard job. You are expected to stand on your feet for your entire shift. an 8hr day gets 2 15min breaks and 1 half hour break. You are expected to stand for at least 2hrs before your break sometimes 3hrs. Your are the main department that interacts with the customers.
During those hours your are standing at your register and checking out the customer's groceries. It is generally a repetitive job. The company does offer advancement with in the company to other departments;you must meet job transfer requirements.
The people you meet and work with are what makes the job They are very nice people to work with and work for. The company does offer many benefits.
Pros
nice people to work with and the benefits
Cons
Retail business
Overal a very solid part time position for a high school/ college student.
Cashier & Helping Hands Employee (Current Employee) –  Manalapan, NJFebruary 26, 2017
A typical day at work involves assisting hundreds and thousands of customers, whether at checkout or on the floor. Very fast paced environment which includes sharp reactions and quick mobility. I learned how to be a professional apart of a company in the Fortune Top 100. Management doesn't communicate very well with employees, but you can't blame them. There is a lot on their plates. Wegmans is a workplace centered around the customers needs first. We go up and beyond to ensure that our customers are always happy once they leave through the exit doors. We are very hard working individuals who thrive to ensure that. The hardest part of the job is to stand in one confined spot for hours. The most enjoyable part is the people you meet, whether it's your coworkers or customers.
Pros
paid weekly, small benefits for part timers
Cons
Poor management communications, limited full time positions, low pay for college graduates. Max 32 hours per week for part timers.
Not a great experience
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 7, 2017
I worked as a Pharmacy Technician at several locations in the Rochester area. In my experience, I found that some members of the pharmacy department management teams have little experience leading others, and/or little experience in the field of pharmacy itself. There is a lot of focus on the business aspect. National pharmacy technician certification is not required with this pharmacy chain, so my certification was not recognized. It was not a good fit for me.
Pros
Great benefits. Generosity with fruit, sandwiches, lunches, etc, in break room
Cons
No 10 minute breaks in pharmacy department
Great Place to work...but it is hard work!
Customer Service Representative Prepared Foods (Current Employee) –  Dickson City, PAOctober 14, 2016
If you are looking for a great place to work Wegmans is an awesome place.
The salary is competitive, advancement encouraged, and the culture of diversity and a "happy" workplace makes it a place where you don;t dread going to work.
That being said, working in the kitchen is not for the faint of heart! It is hard work but the teamwork emphasized makes the work go by fast.
They offer benefits for art time workers.
Because of the emphasis on incredible customer service, we are trained to welcome and treat all customers with a smile and work hard to give them what they expect from Wegmans. The customers are generally pleasant.
The flexible schedule is really helpful and they respect the needs of families.
It is like working for a small mom and op kind of place.
the hardest thing is the kitchen seems to be understaffed so sometimes the work load is incredible.
Pros
flexible schedule, competative salary, regular raises, vacation for part time workers
20 years later and I'm still struggling
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYDecember 22, 2016
After starting as a clerk and working my way up to management over the last 20 years, I find this company has done a 180. Gone are the days of a career with a company that prides itself as one of the best companies to work for. I have struggled my whole life and find that as I've got older, Myself and other employees are being replaced by young, college grads, and told we are not a good fit for the positions we've held for years. I have little retirement and never will be able to thanks to the lack of good health insurance, low pay, and awful hours that do not allow for me to pick up a second job. Once a generous company that bent over backwards for its employees has now forced them to step down from positions of power to avoid paying them what a college grad would do for half. Also, do not get injured on the job or they will surely give you more work to do to force you to quit or they will let you go when you return because you cannot handle the position anymore.
Pros
Free lunch, Good vacation benefits, Great customers
Cons
Low pay, no health insurance, cannot use as reference if you quit, must be willing to work a different schedule every week
Wegmans Food Markets
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 7, 2017
Major supermarket chain. I worked my way from part time to full-time employment.
I cashiered sometimes the number of people waiting to be checked out was more than the help we had. This made some people irate. I also returned unwanted items to the shelves or departments. This was a very physically taxing job. Lots of heavy lifting and lack of support from management made it tough.
Pros
Good healthcare and scholarship benefits.
Cons
No breaks or lunches on busy days. Not even allowed to use the rest room.
Not good for part-time workers who are easily stressed or have anxiety
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  DeWitt, NYSeptember 15, 2016
I worked at the Wegmans in Dewitt NY, I worked in the produce department. I feel like they were unrealistic with expectations on busy days, we were regularly understaffed, the management was not specific on what areas to work for me, management got angry at me because I was unaware they wanted me to do the entire "backs" and bare in mind there was just me and two others on the floor until about 1 pm. This was a Sunday, and they expected me to cover the bagged apples, citrus, and bananas, as well as potatoes and onions. I was lucky to get one of my two legally required breaks.

So in summery, way too high expectations thrown at one if not the lowest paid part-timer in the department. I make barely more than my state minimum wage.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Overly high expectations for low wages, insensitivity to those with anxiety disorders, understaffed department, no likelyhood of advancement or raises for part-timers
Fantastic company to work for.
Produce Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAFebruary 13, 2017
I have worked with this company for 5 years and I have zero complaints. Great management team and very friendly environment. Job security is a key aspect of this company as well as customer service. Have not met a nicer group of employees.
Pros
Benefits, hours, nice staff.
Cons
Having to deal with rude customers
Great people, Great benefits, Great environment
Meat Dept. Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gambrills, MD 21054December 16, 2016
This is one of the top 10 places to work for in the US. That says a lot. I love working here. They give us a lot of free food and the environment is always friendly. My manager has always been understandable and very rarely unpleasant if at all. A normal day at work is filled with people being friendly and working out problems without getting angry. All of my co-workers have been easy to work with.
Pros
Great Environment, Great people, Great Hours, Great benefits
Cons
Cant think of any
Excellent Company, however salary did not meet my needs
Wine Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJMarch 26, 2017
Wegmans is an amazing company with many opportunities for advancement, great work,life balance and family culture.
I was able to teach classes on Bordeaux and Burgundy wines, as well as Italian.
Pros
I was able to share my passion for wine
Cons
Salary wasn't what I needed
Ranked in the Top Ten of Fortune's 100 Best Companies for a reason
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 14, 2017
Wegmans allows me to work part-time while being a full-time student. The company is flexible as far as scheduling, offers scholarship money, extra pay on holidays/Sundays and much more. Have seen many co-workers come and go in my 4 years with the company so far and you see all types of people. Pleasant environment to work in general.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, flexible
Cons
Busy store, customers can be stressful at time
VERY Political atmosphere
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 4, 2016
I would NOT recommend working here. The night management team is GREAT but once you get past them it's a nightmare The upper management team does not care about the night crew, in their opinion night team is the worst department in the store. The teamwork DOESNT exist. Your going to do more work on your own with VERY little acknowledgement. Also the team members that do cause problems don't get addressed about it at all. If you haven't worked with the team since the store opened then your an outcast.
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS, pay
Cons
Just get to take lunch break sometimes, no teamwork, management, job security
I love working here
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 9, 2017
Wegmans is an amazing company to work for! I've worked here a little over 5 years and I don't ever wanna leave. Wegmans strives to make sure there employees and customers are happy and satisified and recieve only the best. I always feel appreciated.
Pros
Benefits, flexible, free food sometimes
Cons
If I were to get full time i really have no choice in where i am going to be located
Highly Recommend
Prepared Foods Chef (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 17, 2017
Great place to work. A lot of room for advancement of you are willling to take risks. Management is very concerned about your personal development as well. Fun, fast paced, working environment!
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No employee discounts on food
I love Wegmans
Grocery Part Time Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Manalapan, NJMarch 17, 2017
It's a nice play to work. You can always count on the co workers and management. It's a very family oriented place and make you feel great about it. If you ever want a day off they are awesome at giving you the days you want off.
Pros
Christmas Gifts, Awesome Benefits
Cons
Need more hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wegmans. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3