Wegmans

Wegmans Employee Reviews

it could be better
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 9, 2016
they need to hire people who are willing to work andalso stop slacking off when someone has to get transfered.... it shouldnt even take so long to transfer a WEGMANS employee to another wegmans..it is ridiculous!
I loved wegmans, although i wasn't gettiing too many hours. But there's always advancement
CASHIER/STOCKING (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 8, 2016
Wegmans is a real diverse place that i loved to attend everytime i was scheduled to go in. You can't go wrong with even sitting in wegmans and having a great conversation with a stranger and grabbing something to eat.
Pros
Scholarships, flexibility, lots of love
Cons
Not too many hours
Fun place and people to work with
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 7, 2016
a typical is like the morning sunshine once you wall into the doors of Wegmans food market. The greetings from every angle and hugs just warms my heart on the daily basis. Everyone is committed on getting the work done as a team and incredible customer service is the reason Wegmans is one of the best places to work for in America.
Pros
going above and beyond to help, incorperating family life with work life, alwayas appreciating employees
Cons
none for now
Very flexible work schedualing, mostly frienldy to work for
Culinary customer service/Full Time Cook II (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYFebruary 5, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service and promptly waiting on customers. Management how ever does not look out for it's employees and moving up in the company is very hard to do. Co-workers vary from those who are easy going and like able to just the opposite as is in any work place. For the most part however the environment is easy going and fun. The hardest part of our work day I would say is making every customer happy it's not always easy but we always made sure it happened. The most enjoyable part of the day would be interacting and making customers happy.
Pros
Very flexible work schedual and good benefits
Cons
Hard to work your way up the chain of command
Best Place I've worked so far
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Downingtown, PAFebruary 5, 2016
- fast paced, but usually not stressful
- was my first job, so I learned almost everything I know about customer service
- management changed a lot over the years I worked there, not always for the best
- hardest part was standing for hours
- most enjoyable part was talking with customers
Fun to work with people
Customer Service Representatives (Former Employee) –  Geneva, NYFebruary 4, 2016
Working with the public is a great benefit. I would do all sort of things on the customer service side of things. Lottery, ticket sales,processing people"s comments. Loved the family, friendly environment.
Pros
Diverse customer base, great experience.
I met some great people and I enjoyed talking about the product I was selling.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 3, 2016
Cultish, Gossipy, Management was not very understanding about employees health problems, hours were inconsistent or changed without team members being made aware.
Pros
Benefits. Good pay and for the most part everyone was nice.
Cons
Sometimes you aren't given a lunch and you are not paid for lunch even if you dont get one, cult-like atmosphere, gossip and drama, some employees were consistently given "garbage work" when co-workers didn't want to do it, co-workers ignored customers, no formal training, and no discussions when we should've been having meetings about shipments, changes, etc.
Produce Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 30, 2016
An awesome environment regarding coworkers and management alike. The management seems to make an effort to try and connect with their employees.
Pros
A company that cares for its employees
Cons
inconsistent hours
Great work place with great benefits
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJanuary 27, 2016
was a well managed work place with great people to work with. very high standard and nothing i couldn't handle. everyone was well trianed.
Free and Enjoyable environment
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 20, 2016
At Wegmans anybody were welcome. A typical day at Wegmans nobody was ever bored always busy with work. Mangers always came to check on you when you didn't need it .The most enjoyable part of the job was being busy all the time.
Pros
meeting new people

Want to know more about Wegmans?

Ask a question
Awesome place to work at in every aspect
Cashier/ Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAJanuary 19, 2016
Interact with customers daily, great pay, tough hiring process. They treated the employees and customers with the utmost respect.
Decent First Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 16, 2016
Wegmans is a good place to work while in high school and college as a way to raise money for college. The management team there is very nice but don't expect to just sit around and get paid they expect ,like any job, that once you punch in you are ready to work.
Pros
25 cents/hr Raises every 6 months and many more breaks than any other part time place around
Cons
hard to get hours if your a college student
Good
Customer Service, Dairy (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 12, 2016
Excellent work environment with great camaraderie. Excellent management with a fine array of goods unparalleled by any other food grocer.
Great place to work if you never have plans of moving up in the world.
cashier (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2016
I have worked at Wegmans for four years and I can honestly say it is great if you need extra cash, or are really young like I was when I started. Unfortunately, Wegmans has a lot of problems with management and I could list a multiplicity of things but here's four problems with examples.

1.) Wegmans Good Ole Boys Club
Wegmans has a habit of employing the young and beautiful. I'm 22, definitely not what you'd consider old, but definitely older than most of my fellow co-workers. Wegmans has no problem promoting you to front end coordinator, pushing you into different departments, or promoting you to department coordinator, as long as you do it in the first 6 months you're working there. For some reason there's this really sick atmosphere that promotes all the newest employees into positions of power while everyone else is left fighting on the bottom end of the totem pole. It's weird and extremely obnoxious considering there are people with degrees who can't get promoted to store manager, but a recent high school grad is upper management before you know it.

2.) Communication is HORRIBLE
If you ever have to call off for something, make sure you call 3 times that day to let them know you can't come in because your message WILL NOT be passed around and you may end up with a strike on your record.

3.) Work/Life Balance is a Joke
I remember when I began at Wegmans, my hours were from 4-8, I was 18 and didn't have a car- the hours were perfect because my father had cancer and had to drive me to work after his chemo. When orientation was over, they switched me from 5-10,
  more... which I was not pleased about since I was starting college and had an 8 o'clock class the next morning. When I talked to a manager about this, she told me that "they had a business to run," and couldn't be concerned with my college schedule or my father's chemotherapy. I think about that a lot now every time I want to quit. Also, there are a lot of employees who work 7 days a week without any breaks in between and in physically demanding positions all for the hope of moving up a job ladder that doesn't exist.

4.) No SECURITY in the store. Unless you're planning on shoplifting.
Literally, there is no security for employees. They have cameras above every register to make sure you're not stealing any precious "nickels and dimes," from the cash register, but let a man walk into the store with a gun and there's no help for you anywhere. I've had plenty of incidents late at night with hostile customers where I've felt less than safe, only to look around and realize my front end manager is not on the front end, and the closest thing to a telephone is behind the customer service desk.

5.) 400 Employees in the store and I can count the number of people of color on one hand.
Wegmans has a horrible habit of not being as "diverse," as they pretend to be and when they do employ people of color, they're often not in the same department. The store I work at has over 400 employees, and I'm pretty sure our store employes maybe 25-30 people of color. It makes for a very unpleasant environment when we are forced to celebrate holiday traditions that are not relatable but also make us feel like we are "mocking," something that does not belong to us.
Pros
Fellow co-workers are nice, Clean working areas, simplification
Cons
No Diversity, Hours are cut or added depending on who does the schedule, Promotion to newly hired employees, Physically demanding in every department
Diverse place of employment
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDJanuary 10, 2016
Wegmans was a fun and different place to work. Being in the food industry is a little different from most. It was fun and cool to learn from different departments in the store. The hardest part of the job was sometimes management they couldn't seem to agree on a lot sometimes. But overall its a great company and very diverse
Great place to work that looks after you, as long as you pull your weight and maybe a little more than that.
Prepared Foods Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PAJanuary 8, 2016
Having spent two years in the prepared foods department, I can say with certainty that with flexibility comes opportunity. I started in the Choose Your Meal area (like the majority of newcomers do), and within several weeks, I could reliably be called upon to switch positions where needed, especially on days when more than one member of the scheduled staff for that day called out of work.

Occasionally, opportunities to cross-train arise, and in my case, the holiday season saw me working in the Old Fashioned Subs section of the prepared foods department, which is slightly outside the scope of the normal duties of most Prepared Foods Team members, as it is a department within a department of sorts, with a slightly different skillset that requires more hands-on preparation of food. For someone who at the time had no other obligations like schooling, this was a blessing, as it meant more hours to earn money.
Pros
Morning stretch sessions to start the day off right, excellent food, lots of opportunities
Cons
difficult to transition to full-time status
Front end
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 3, 2016
While working at Wegmans, I was a frond end cashier. my job was to quickly scan and bag items as fast as possible. sometimes i would work at the cafe registers as well
Pros
employee appreciation lunches
Cons
drawing blood for me
Rang up and bagged groceires
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ocean, NJDecember 28, 2015
I would greet and ring up customers then bag their items according to how they'd like. Then process their payment, and manage my work area keeping it stocked with bags and making sure my drawer was up to par
Cons
Constant flow of people
Family oriented enviroment, great company
Customer Service Produce (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 27, 2015
I started at the break of dawn most mornings, pulling shrink and replenishing shelves with new product. Each employee had a particular zone of the produce floor they were responsible for maintaining through out the day. Freshness and quality were top priorities for the produce. Customer interaction was the bright point of the days duties. I learned an tremendous amount of product knowledge and how to apply that knowledge to preparing healthy meals. Management was the best I have experienced thus far. I didn't find any parts of my job particularly hard because I enjoyed what I was doing.
Pros
Benefits, Location
Cons
Great place to be while in school
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 26, 2015
Fast pace environment, but a nice place to be. Employees there are friendly and approachable. Great place to work while in school, hours are flexible and staff understand your needs.

4.3