Wegmans Employee Reviews

Very flexible work schedualing, mostly frienldy to work for
Culinary customer service/Full Time Cook II (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYFebruary 5, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service and promptly waiting on customers. Management how ever does not look out for it's employees and moving up in the company is very hard to do. Co-workers vary from those who are easy going and like able to just the opposite as is in any work place. For the most part however the environment is easy going and fun. The hardest part of our work day I would say is making every customer happy it's not always easy but we always made sure it happened. The most enjoyable part of the day would be interacting and making customers happy.
Pros
Very flexible work schedual and good benefits
Cons
Hard to work your way up the chain of command
Great coworkers Poor advancement Oppurtunities
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYApril 2, 2016
Enjoyed working at wegmans. However when I decided to advance in my career with them after working almost 4 years with them I was told I could have the opportunity to advance. Little did I know that a week later I was told that management had change their minds and decided to give the postion to a less experienced person who had been there for only a year.
Pros
Scholorship
Cons
Lack of Respect from management
I met some great people and I enjoyed talking about the product I was selling.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 3, 2016
Cultish, Gossipy, Management was not very understanding about employees health problems, hours were inconsistent or changed without team members being made aware.
Pros
Benefits. Good pay and for the most part everyone was nice.
Cons
Sometimes you aren't given a lunch and you are not paid for lunch even if you dont get one, cult-like atmosphere, gossip and drama, some employees were consistently given "garbage work" when co-workers didn't want to do it, co-workers ignored customers, no formal training, and no discussions when we should've been having meetings about shipments, changes, etc.
Decent First Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 16, 2016
Wegmans is a good place to work while in high school and college as a way to raise money for college. The management team there is very nice but don't expect to just sit around and get paid they expect ,like any job, that once you punch in you are ready to work.
Pros
25 cents/hr Raises every 6 months and many more breaks than any other part time place around
Cons
hard to get hours if your a college student
Family oriented enviroment, great company
Customer Service Produce (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 27, 2015
I started at the break of dawn most mornings, pulling shrink and replenishing shelves with new product. Each employee had a particular zone of the produce floor they were responsible for maintaining through out the day. Freshness and quality were top priorities for the produce. Customer interaction was the bright point of the days duties. I learned an tremendous amount of product knowledge and how to apply that knowledge to preparing healthy meals. Management was the best I have experienced thus far. I didn't find any parts of my job particularly hard because I enjoyed what I was doing.
Pros
Benefits, Location
Cons
Everything is awful except your close coworkers
Baker (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAOctober 9, 2015
Wegman's is said to be the #1 company in America... That may be true in other stores but Downingtown Wegman's is a mess. The benefits are great sure... if you qualify. Management is absolutely atrocious, they don't do any work but they'll spend all day gossiping with each other. If you aren't a manager then you are treated like trash and yes, managers have been known to purposefully sabotage employees and customers through neglect and poor ethics. Also they will cheat you out of pay that you're entitled to if you don't keep constant track of your hours and basically hold their hand until they pay you what you deserve. If you want to work for Wegman's it's a great start to any fulfilling career... Just don't go to Downingtown, Pennsylvania for a job there.
Very friendly staff and always a welcoming environment
Customer Service Representative /Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gambrills, MDDecember 20, 2015
I learned a lot of core values working at Wegmans, it shows that people always be courteous to one another and have plenty of customer service skills. There was never a dull day, employees and management were always kind and concerned for our well being. A typical day at work included signing in and just doing your job while having some laughs with co-workers, and always talking to customers. It was very enjoyable each day, the hardest part would be getting the hang of training at first then everything is easy.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Okay place for part-time
Front-End Customer Service Advanced (Former Employee) –  Cicero, NYDecember 20, 2015
Started in one department and was lucky enough to train and move around to multiple other ones. However upper management is very poor and a lot of nepotism is used to give promotions and hours.
Pros
Good company culture
Cons
Poor upper management, no career growth
Great Benefits at Wegmans
Produce Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYMarch 7, 2016
I enjoy working at Wegmans. I have developed a strong rapport with several of my customers. The company offers great benefits for part time employees.
Cons
Job advancement is difficult.
Love working here!
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Blasdell, NYAugust 5, 2016
I love working in the produce department. Wegmans is really great about holding my job for when I go to college. A typical day includes restocking shelves, unloading trucks, breaking down pallets, and providing exceptional customer service. I've learned a lot about different fruits and vegetables and how orders are placed. The management is great and very easy to work with. The overall environment is relaxed, yet we always get the work done. I love all of my co-workers as well. The hardest part of the job is sometimes we do not have a product in stock and it is difficult to fill the spot on the shelf. The most enjoyable part is bonding with my co-workers, meeting new people, and making customers' day easier.
Pros
Good pay, great food, fun environment, great to employees
Cons
do not always have product in stock, sometimes difficult customers
A great place to work where you witness real empowerment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 12, 2016
As soon as you enter the workplace you realize that your coworkers are excited that you are here by giving you warm greetings, some will quickly brief you about how the day as been going on and inform you about what you may need to look forward to. What I've learned is that every day is not the same and even if certain situations look the same they might require to be handled differently. Your manager and supervisor leave you to do your work and don't interfere; you are truly empowered as they consider you a manager in your own right, and meanwhile they are your primary resources if you need help. The hardest part of my job is having customers to accept and acknowledge that in your work you have rules and procedures to follow. Despite that, the most enjoyable part of my job is when work is completed and when I'm successful in helping a customer and seeing that they are satisfied with the outcome.
Friendly Environment that treats you with respect
Front End Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PASeptember 5, 2016
Typical day is opening the front end, checking emails and doing my normal everyday duties to prepare the cashiers for the start of their day.
I have learned some new traits as in helping in different departments, learning and growing!
Management is great, we go above and beyond for our customers.
The hardest part of my job is when we are under staffed for that day and front end management needs to run registers to help out the front end traffic.
My enjoyment of my job is knowing that I get along with each co-worker and knowing that I went above and beyond for my customers.
Pros
30 min lunch/ 15 min breaks
Cons
There is Absolutely no discounts on anything.
Not good for part-time workers who are easily stressed or have anxiety
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  DeWitt, NYSeptember 15, 2016
I worked at the Wegmans in Dewitt NY, I worked in the produce department. I feel like they were unrealistic with expectations on busy days, we were regularly understaffed, the management was not specific on what areas to work for me, management got angry at me because I was unaware they wanted me to do the entire "backs" and bare in mind there was just me and two others on the floor until about 1 pm. This was a Sunday, and they expected me to cover the bagged apples, citrus, and bananas, as well as potatoes and onions. I was lucky to get one of my two legally required breaks.

So in summery, way too high expectations thrown at one if not the lowest paid part-timer in the department. I make barely more than my state minimum wage.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Overly high expectations for low wages, insensitivity to those with anxiety disorders, understaffed department, no likelyhood of advancement or raises for part-timers
Fun Place to Work with Great Management Team
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Downingtown, PAAugust 3, 2016
My typical day at Wegmans behind the Service Desk would be fielding customer complaints, processing returns/refunds, answering phones, selling and cashing out Lottery, and handling MoneyGram transactions. The job often called for assistance from management, who were always incredibly helpful and quick in their approach to customers and my own questions. Working with one other coworker at a time called for a level of cooperation that was a great learning experience; working with a particular person could change the entire shift from better to worse. This was the hardest part of the job, in fact actually working alone and handling a constant stream of customers was my favorite part - dealing with coworkers and their own habits could be frustrating. Most importantly, I learned how to deliver a patient and professional presence when dealing with customers and my management team and how to calmly handle difficult situations.
Busy but Fulfilling Workplace
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, MDOctober 24, 2015
In my position there's always a bit of short staffing, but the managers do their best to work within your availability so that you can properly balance work with the rest of your life. You could learn the typical busy and slow times during a typical work day/week in under a month as things are relatively predictable. There are frequent employee appreciation events, and interesting charity raffles, bake sales, and contests. The vast majority of my coworkers were wonderful people to work with, and management is pleasant to work with and does their best to listen.
Pros
Lots of employee appreciation, employee-only coupons, great benefits and pay
Cons
Some areas chronically understaffed
What a joke
Mule (Former Employee) –  Pottsville, PAJuly 27, 2016
It's like being in junior high all over again people gossip people want to know all about your life. Management is an absolute joke they don't know if they're coming or going there's no structure. The constant favoritism of people that like to kiss the butt of management there's no room to grow in this company unless you're a suck-up. They keep around useless people that don't carry their own weight and rely on others to do the work. Constantly putting you down. This place is an absolute joke and a disgrace to Wegmans as itself
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Gossip, always putting you down, lack of management, carrying the weight of lazy people that they will never fire, an absolute joke
Productive place to work with fun people
Market COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYOctober 15, 2015
Wegmans is a great place to work, if you are looking to become a chef or any other career in food service. It is also a great place to start out as a part timer. You can be over looked in advancing your career, if you dont have a close realtionship with managenent. Overall I would reccomend anybody to apply at wegmans, just remember you have to work hard to move up.
Pros
401k, BENEFITS, SALARY
Cons
SHORT BREAKS, SCHEDULING
Front End (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaAugust 19, 2016
I've been with Wegmans since 2011, and I have nothing but good things to say. The managers/coordinators treat you like family, coupons given for holidays, birthday, and special occasions and co-workers are great. Small raise every 6 months, but adds up! I've been with the company since going away to college, and coming home on breaks having a secure job as well as being graduated and coming back to a great company means a lot. They know how to treat their employees, more companies should learn from them.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, benefits, and overall great environment
Cons
Sometimes the customers but that's any customer service job.
VERY Political atmosphere
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 4, 2016
I would NOT recommend working here. The night management team is GREAT but once you get past them it's a nightmare The upper management team does not care about the night crew, in their opinion night team is the worst department in the store. The teamwork DOESNT exist. Your going to do more work on your own with VERY little acknowledgement. Also the team members that do cause problems don't get addressed about it at all. If you haven't worked with the team since the store opened then your an outcast.
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS, pay
Cons
Just get to take lunch break sometimes, no teamwork, management, job security
Is Wegmans Really a "Great Place to Work"?
Cashier, Customer Service, Nature's Market Place (Current Employee) –  Wegmans, McKinleyAugust 3, 2016
The answer to that question cannot just simply be answered yes. Because the answer is so much more than that. I thoroughly enjoy working for Wegmans, the treatment of employees is beyond amazing. The Wegmans family has done a great deal of work to make sure that not only do customers get what they need, but employees get the things we need as well. Making sure to have open door days with our managers, counceling services, yoga, weight watchers, Wegman's Got Talent, etc. All of these things really bring the company together as we call ourselves a Wegmans Family.

4.3