Wegmans

Wegmans Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you never have plans of moving up in the world.
cashier (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2016
I have worked at Wegmans for four years and I can honestly say it is great if you need extra cash, or are really young like I was when I started. Unfortunately, Wegmans has a lot of problems with management and I could list a multiplicity of things but here's four problems with examples.

1.) Wegmans Good Ole Boys Club
Wegmans has a habit of employing the young and beautiful. I'm 22, definitely not what you'd consider old, but definitely older than most of my fellow co-workers. Wegmans has no problem promoting you to front end coordinator, pushing you into different departments, or promoting you to department coordinator, as long as you do it in the first 6 months you're working there. For some reason there's this really sick atmosphere that promotes all the newest employees into positions of power while everyone else is left fighting on the bottom end of the totem pole. It's weird and extremely obnoxious considering there are people with degrees who can't get promoted to store manager, but a recent high school grad is upper management before you know it.

2.) Communication is HORRIBLE
If you ever have to call off for something, make sure you call 3 times that day to let them know you can't come in because your message WILL NOT be passed around and you may end up with a strike on your record.

3.) Work/Life Balance is a Joke
I remember when I began at Wegmans, my hours were from 4-8, I was 18 and didn't have a car- the hours were perfect because my father had cancer and had to drive me to work after his chemo. When orientation was over, they switched me from 5-10,
  more... which I was not pleased about since I was starting college and had an 8 o'clock class the next morning. When I talked to a manager about this, she told me that "they had a business to run," and couldn't be concerned with my college schedule or my father's chemotherapy. I think about that a lot now every time I want to quit. Also, there are a lot of employees who work 7 days a week without any breaks in between and in physically demanding positions all for the hope of moving up a job ladder that doesn't exist.

4.) No SECURITY in the store. Unless you're planning on shoplifting.
Literally, there is no security for employees. They have cameras above every register to make sure you're not stealing any precious "nickels and dimes," from the cash register, but let a man walk into the store with a gun and there's no help for you anywhere. I've had plenty of incidents late at night with hostile customers where I've felt less than safe, only to look around and realize my front end manager is not on the front end, and the closest thing to a telephone is behind the customer service desk.

5.) 400 Employees in the store and I can count the number of people of color on one hand.
Wegmans has a horrible habit of not being as "diverse," as they pretend to be and when they do employ people of color, they're often not in the same department. The store I work at has over 400 employees, and I'm pretty sure our store employes maybe 25-30 people of color. It makes for a very unpleasant environment when we are forced to celebrate holiday traditions that are not relatable but also make us feel like we are "mocking," something that does not belong to us.
Pros
Fellow co-workers are nice, Clean working areas, simplification
Cons
No Diversity, Hours are cut or added depending on who does the schedule, Promotion to newly hired employees, Physically demanding in every department
Far from Fortune 500 Material
In Store position (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PANovember 23, 2015
Maybe they are a great company to work at their other stores but the store in Allentown Pennsylvania that I just spent 5 years working at my co workers and myself were treated like garbage. When I began my employment with them 5 years ago I was still in school and they promised me I would be moved to a full time position after I graduate college.When I graduated and I was ready for my fulltime position because they knew they could get me to work almost 40 hours part time so every time I would try to apply for a full time position they would make up some excuse why I couldn't do it even though I was more than qualified for the position and earlier this place they unfairly disciplined me by having me on a 6 month written warning probation for something that wasn't even my fault so they can keep me from applying for another position and damaging the good career I been working really hard at everyday. When it comes to job promotions they seem to only promote employees they clearly seem to prefer a lot being attractive younger girls over others even though many of the ones they never preferred were some of the hardest and most productive workers there and the ones that they prefer also get promoted within their first year while others who been there forever never get moved up. All the managers and hr are all best friends who always agree on everything together and treated all of us unfair. One of my co workers had a mental disability and even though she tried her best she had a few difficulties preforming her job at work with the disability and every single mistake she made they  more... held against her and she basically was forced to resign with threat of getting terminated if she made another mistake and she is now without a job. They also for the past few years have been understaffing us for the high volume of business that we get. A few years ago when the management changed to the one we have today which I am writing about many of my co workers couldn't handle them and resigned and they only hired about maybe half the amount of the number of people that left to replace which left us doing the work of 2-3 people. Then they also have a habit of sending people home for the entire day if they make a mistake like my co worker with the disability which by that point it would be too late for them to find a replacement to come in and that would leave us really understaffed. All I can say is unless you are desperate for a job and can't find any other place to work stay away from here they may cover themselves up with this Who we are stuff but they d not treat their employees well and I don't think they deserve to be anywhere on the fortune 500 list.  less
Management bends rules to fit their own agendas
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 9, 2013
I've worked in merchandising and prepared at Wegmans for about 4 years now, and at the three stores I have worked in, I have noticed a very strong "boy's club" mentality among the area managers and upper management/HR. If you're not from Rochester, or actively spying on other employees to report to the merch manager, you're going to be jumping through a lot of hoops to move up. They constantly pick and choose which rules to follow and which to break if it benefits them or if it means they can discipline someone they don't really like.

Management behaves like a clique in high school, ignoring you as they walk by in groups with their coffees all day chatting and laughing, but calling you into HR if you spend 2 minutes catching up with another co-worker. They'll give you hell if one of your endcaps are slightly out of stock, but don't bother to do any work themselves. There is a lot of inconsistency to which rules they follow in each department, and transgressions by the Rochester crowd are often overlooked.

80% of my co-workers are constantly on the look-out for jobs outside the company, and management pretends to be upset, but the more full-time staff that leave, the less benefits they have to pay out. They constantly spout the "Who We Are" values, but the application of caring and support in upper management in HR is a farce. A lot of the Team Leaders do care about their immediate employees, but management can override that pretty quickly.

For the most part, the Team Leaders and rest of the associates are really good people. We can eat lunch together and blow off steam, and
  more... despite most people loathing management, they're all very well-adjusted for the most part. There is no such thing as a secret at Wegmans, confidentiality in HR is an absolute joke.

Benefits are actually very good, health insurance is pretty decent, good 401k and IRA, they match up to 12% and PTO is 2 weeks after 2 years, raises every 6 months which is one of the only reasons I stayed with the job for so long. Pay is NOT commensurate with outside experience, that's a misconception they fleece over new employees. It's very difficult to get hired full-time, especially with the new health insurance regulations, and it's difficult to get fired here.
Pros
benefits, well-adjusted lower staff, 6 month raises
Cons
human resources, upper management, pay
Great place to work, may require travel
Helping Hands Customer Assistance (Former Employee) –  Brockport, NYAugust 7, 2012
Wegmans is THE upstated New York super-mart. Owned by the family of the same name, they like to focus on loacl economy, repeat customers, and happy workers. Anyone in the know will tell you that cart retrieval is one of the hardest jobs in any store, and Wegmans pushes it even further; have you ever been offered by a cart retiever to help you load your groceries into your car? If not, your not alone, unless you shop at Wegmans, then you should be reporting someone because this is mandatory for their cart retievers (known as the Helping Hands).
It's hard work, pushing stacks of carts around a hill shaped parking lot all day while still smiling and remaining friendly to customers, but it has suprising rewards. The biggest such reward is the camaraderie it builds in your fellow Helping Hands. It also creates very grateful customers (the whole reason Wegmans instituted these extra duties) who insist on rewarding you (Helping Hands officialy do NOT accept tips, but, you know, customer's always right and all that).
That said, I do have one main complaint about the Wegmans front end. It is an arguably effective method of rounding out the Front End Coordinators (the person standing in front of the cash registers making sure everything runs smoothly) by rotaiting them between stores, but from the small guies' point of view, it gets hard to remember your bosses name when it changes every 2 months. And then, of course, you always get that one guy who has a vission and just has to rework an already successful system, and you know how that always turns out.
Pros
feels more like family than co-workers, always room for advancement, extreamly flexible hours fresh air, lots of exercise, free hot chocolate in the winter, free sports drink in the summer, yearly chance for college scholarship
Cons
you have to buy your own pants and shoes (and you go through a lot of them), bosses change often, christmas eve rush (it dosen't matter how many helping hands they have on that day, you still can't keep up)
employee friendly company with a soild future
Cook III (Current Employee) –  Collegeville, PAJanuary 25, 2013
I work in prepared foods. It is essentially a cook position where I fill a food buffet bar and do prep and clean up. A typical day is fast paced, we are often behind in prep. I determine what we need to get through the next busy meal period for that day- cook that food, then start to prep for the next meal or next day (or 2) based on a inventory of what we have and what we need. I prep till I have to stop and either leave if I am on day shift, or stop to clean the kitchen at closing. During prep I am often pulled away to cook more food for the bars which is part of the job. Being able to multi-task is essential. Usually there are overlaps in the shifts to allow two people or more on for a few hours together so that one can focus on prep while one focuses on maintaining the food bar.

Management of my department is somewhat distant and corporate in feel, the higher-ups do not participate in the everyday runnings of the kitchen. I feel they mostly make decisions based on sales numbers. Sous chefs do participate but are not usually there for everyday support, if there is a problem or if you are overwhelmed they will help. The team leaders are the most supportive but often departments go for stretches with no team leader, or get one who is not familiar with the department because they have come from another department. Full time employees seem to be moved around allot.

My co-workers are pretty awesome. The team spirit of the hourly employees, and the solid team leaders makes up for the distance of upper management. They are always willing to help if they can, if they have time--
  more... and often work would not get done if it were not for coworkers going above and beyond to help each other

For me the hardest part of the job is working as hard and fast as I can and still not accomplishing everything that is needed for the next day. It is disappointing to leave work when things are not done for the next shift and I know my coworkers will start their day in the weeds.

The team spirit and actual cooking are the best parts of the job. The recipes are good and making tasty food for the public is satisfying. The camaraderie in the kitchen is great.
Pros
flexible schedule with my schooling, many advancement opportunites for full time
Cons
often no time for 10 min breaks
wegmans does not care about their people
Overnight Grocery (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Woodmore, MDMay 18, 2013
I worked for wegmans for almost three years. In the beginning I loved working there it was a time when I looked forward to going to work. Then I started to notice the favoritism and discrimination within the company. During my years of working there I saw African American men being discriminated against by white managers. I witnessed one of my co workers who happened to be over weight go from having 25 hours a week to 7 because she was not working fast enough due to her weight. I actually heard my manager make jokes about her size. My last six months working there I could not stand what was going on so I started to stand up for myself and my co workers. As soon as I started to complain about my team leaders and management my hours started decreasing and my work enviornment became hostile. My teamleader harrassed me not only in a hostile way but sexual as well. He would say inappropirate things to me and I was afraid to go to management because they all stick together. It got so bad I ended up just walking out and never coming back. Ive watched many of my co workers in the past do that very thing, but never understood why until I walked in their shoes. The day after I walked out of the store I called the store manager and apologized to her for leaving my job the way I did, I explained to her I was getting harrassed by my team leader but she didnt care. To her I was just another replaceable employee but mean while she has someone who harrasses employees. Leaving wegmans was the best choice Ive ever made and Im in process of helping my co workers find other jobs as well. I will  more... never shop there again and I will constantly encourage people not to as well. Dont let their who we are values fool you like they fooled me.  less
Pros
you get paid every week
Cons
discrimination, harrassment, sexism, favoritism
One of the best companies to work for
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  Penfield, NYNovember 13, 2013
I have grown up with Wegmans my whole life. The store is one of the top grocery stores in the country, yet, it is only in select states.To work there has been one of the best experiences of my life. The work atmosphere and culture is so unique, you can not find it anywhere else. We as employees put our customers first 100% of the time, and we do it with great sincerity. The company itself looks out for their employees as well, and helps us with company benefits and resources to help their employees to advance within the store and their life in the upmost positive way.

My managers are the best people to look up to and go to with any questions or comments. They are always there to listen and to help, and make work that much more enjoyable.

Through working at Wegmans, I've learned leadership skills, customer service skills, and a lot more about the business at hand. Working as a cashier, I have a first hand experience with customer service, helping out and conversing with customers, and working with employees all around me. As a cafe cashier I learned more about the operating system of the register, and am surrounded by other departments that I get to learn more about the store that way.

I just started working in the Seafood Department and it is a whole new field. I went from just dealing with customers, to learning a lot about fish, the ocean, different cooking techniques, how to cook the fish, the differences between the fish, and learn about just another awesome part of the company. Both my manager and team leader are very passionate and informative about the seafood department
  more... and they try to teach me as much as possible within a days work.

The fact that the whole store has become my family is the best thing ever. I look forward to work everyday. It's a place where I can have fun and work at the same time. It's a relaxed atmosphere and helping out the customers gives me great satisfaction. At the end of the day I know that I work with the best people at the best company ever introduced to this world.
Pros
great co-workers, flexible hours/schedule, delicious food, great learning opportunities
Was a fun and enjoyable to place to work, tough work at times, but as a producvtion worker, you and your crew rally together and get the job done.
Helping Hand, Cashier, Handyman, Bakery Prod. Line (Former Employee) –  Town of Chili, NYNovember 4, 2014
I realy enjoyed my time with Wegmans! I started as a 15 year old at the store locations and then moved my way up to the bakery warehouse production side when i was around 20 years old. I saw a lot of crazy things in there and got to interact with a lot of different people. I met and made many new friends there and i had a lot of fun working with them,. The reason why i left the job though was because i did not want to get stuck in the warehouse lifestyle of work like my father did. I left on good terms and am thankful for the years of employment they gave me. They helped me through college and helped me become a stronger more well rounded man from the intense labor that we did, whether it be mental or physical. It was a great experience there and i only wish i could have stayed a little longer, but i knew if i did i would get stuck and comfortable there and i did not want that to happen to me. I have a four year degree and i deserve to do something better than be a production worker making bread all day. My plan was to one day make it into the corporate offices, but that was just a pipe-dream. Then when i saw a new job opportunity i took it and never looked back...until now. Great company and people to work for and with. I thank them for everything they taught me.
Pros
porvided me with job security for 10 years, benefits, and scholarships, and allowd me to work with various people and firneds
Cons
warehouse work was a little intense, drove me away, i did not like how i was mentally responded to the atomosphere of everyday work.
Wegmans is a fun and rewarding place to work.
Cashier/Deli (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 9, 2013
• A typical day at work is evaluating what needs to be done within the first few moments I walk in the door, then setting out in doing those objectives in a timely manner and making sure all present staff is on board and in agreement. All the while customers are the first priority, so all background duties (cleaning/production/stocking) have to be done in between helping customers.
• I've learned how to multi-task, work effectively with others, listen to customers to help them the best way that I can, know the products thoroughly and use that knowledge to inform customers, manage my time, and to maintain a friendly demeanor.
• management at Wegmans is thorough, they normally have very specific standards and are very communicative. They also make sure that you feel heard and that they're there to help.
• My co-workers are very diverse in background, which makes for an exciting workplace. I've been there for some time now and have grown great working relationships with many of them that allows us to work very productively together
• The hardest part of the job is how surprisingly fast-paced and demanding it can be. It's very physical, which I enjoy to some extent.
• The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of making sure each customer is taken care of and is pleased with their experience.
Pros
flexible time-off, convenient location, friendly, regular raises
Cons
scheduling is tough to change, income cap limits
Relaxed work environment with low stress
Wine Shop Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 22, 2014
Typical day consisted of conditioning product, putting out stock, working with vendors to order wine and get new product, providing knowledge-based customer service regarding wine.
Was taught some about wine by company, but learned more independently. Learned mainly how to handle inventory and how to order product from distributors.
Management was generally easy to work with at the in-store level, but district and corporate managers were difficult to work with and clearly did not care or respect our in-store employees.
Co-workers were pleasant, easy to get along with, but there is very little pressure to have workers put forth effort and it often fell on myself and others to pick up the slack of the lazier workers.
Hardest part of the job was changing out displays, which involved a lot of heavy lifting for an extended period of time.
Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with and educating customers about product, helping to guide them to something affordable that they would enjoy, not just the most expensive item they'd buy. Focus was on getting customers to return and enjoy their experience at the store, not to get everything out of their wallet.
Pros
some benefits, two raises a year, 401k plan, etc.
Cons
no healthcare, breaks were often not given, part-time employees are often seen as expendable.
very energetic, and family oriented place
Cashier/Helping Hands (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 25, 2013
A day at wegmans is a feeling i can honestly say i've grown found of now that i have the time to reflect on it. AS a cashier at wegmans you were the last stop of the day. So as a customer you were either relieved and had alot to say about your shopping experience, or you were stressed and had alot to talk about period. I took my job as a cashier more serious than the average cahsier i guess you can say. I saw myself not only as the person who tooken care of ya household essentals, but also the person you can talk to when no one else around you was listening. At Wegmans it's preffered that we talked to our customers about everything under the sun, you can say this was a tactic to make the customers not notice how long the lines were or how long it took you to bag their grocieries. Either way when the person got to you it was time to speak up. After countless conversations and many beautiful but difficult people i've come to understand how wegmans helped mold me as a person. Wegmans gave me the chance to go from kind of reserved and shy, to confident, self-assuring, and posied in difficult situations. all in all i can say Wegmans has been the best first job i could ask for, not only were they flexable, but they cared for me and my family; a company that truely goes above and beyond.
Pros
family oriented, great managment, great employees
Cons
dealing with difficult customers
I Love Wegmans!
Accounting Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester NYMay 13, 2015
It sounds silly every time I say it, but I absolutely love working for Wegmans. I take pride in the fact that I work for such a great company and that my boss actually cares about me more than just an employee. I love working in the accounting office, and I love the cross-training opportunities I have accessible to me.
My coworkers are amazing, and I love some of them like family. We all work well together and we can get our jobs done while still catching up with each other.
My boss is one of the most caring people I know, and I am absolutely happy to work with and for her. She is more like a friend than a boss, but I know when and where to treat her as such. The upper management at my store are the same way, and I am happy to say that I have a good relationship with all of them, and they really want me to succeed in whatever I do.
The hardest part of my job is time management, but with hard work and determination I am gradually getting better. That's another great thing about Wegmans: everyone is constantly trying to improve on things which could use improvement.
My favorite part of my job is the flexibility. I have very flexible hours in case I need time to find a full time job utilizing my degree, and flexibility within my job in case I get a little behind.
Pros
Great work environment, good people, lots of room for movement
Cons
They don't give you free lunch every day. It's a grocery store.
Productive Workplace
Retail Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brockport, NYJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at Wegmans for me is to take product from the back freezer and distribute it onto the necessary shelves on the sales floor freezers. Along with doing that I am responsible for helping customers with questions and answering them to the best of my ability. During my time at Wegmans I learned how to professionally talk with both customers and my co-workers. Working for Wegmans has also taught me how to be self motivated as well as be very good at managing my time accordingly. Management at Wegmans is not necessarily the greatest, there is a lot of power hungry managers that are trying to just move up the Wegmans management chain without much regard for their employers such as myself. My co-workers are just the opposite of that, they are very helpful when I am in need of assistants whether it is with a question that I am not sure on how to answer or my co-workers taking the time to help me lift something in the backroom. The hardest part of my job is having to tell customers that we no longer carry a certain product that they are looking for, some customers are okay with the answers but others get very upset and I need to try and calm them down to the best of my ability. The most enjoyable part of my job is definitely the people that I work with, they are very helpful, easy to talk to and very outgoing which make working at Wegmans enjoyable
Pros
free lunch on occasion
Cons
not many benefits for part timers
A good company to work for overall
Natures Market Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VirginiaOctober 16, 2013
A typical day at work for me is to put the load on the shelves, ordering product for the next load. The other focus is to provide excellent customer service to all the customers.

I've learned a lot from working at Wegmans for almost 10 years. I learned how to run a cash register, fill prescriptions, ordering products through many different mediums (ie. fax, iphone, pics gun, computer, phone, telxon),

The management is slightly inconsistent from store to store. The managers are there to listen to you though. Overall, they treat their employees respectfully.

My co-workers are very hard working and easy to get along with. It makes for a friendly work environment. We work as a team to get the job done while helping our customers find what they are looking for and to answer questions they may have.

The hardest parts of this job is the lifting, pulling and carrying of boxes filled with product along with work and life balance. If you are full-time, the company does expect you to work there and no where else unless you have prior approval from management depending on the other job you may have.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the work environment and helping customers.
Pros
employee appreciation days, free lunch once in a while, prizes, 401k, good benefits, healthcare, vacation hours.
Cons
no work and life balance, management inconsistency.
Great Values!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Geneseo, NYMay 16, 2013
A typical work day at Wegmans is fun and energetic. There is always something to do and you get to develop great relationships with customers and employees. In the past 7 year that I have worked for them I have learned countless amounts of information on food recipes how to prepare meals and drinks and how to come up with your own recipes. The management is very nice and willing to work with you on anything from availability to personal matters as long as you are willing to work with them as well. Everyone who works there for that matter is very helpful and willing to answer any questions you may have. The hardest part about working for Wegmans is leaving. After making friends and developing relationships with everyone around you its hard to move away from that. My family personally has to relocate to a state that has no Wegmans but even for employees moving around within the company is difficult because you make friends everywhere you go and then after a few years you find a position to move up into and leaving those relationships behind is not the easiest thing. But the hardest part comes from the best part about the company. Wegmans likes to hire people who like to help others and that leads to a company full of caring people who soon become a "family."
Yes Wegmans is a great company to work for because of its high standards, helpful benefits and infinite directions to go in career wise but the best part about the company is that all the employees as a whole become one giant family.
Valued employees are the foundation to great business.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMarch 4, 2015
Wegmans does it right. As a grocery chain it delivers an outstanding experience to its customers and has the reputation to prove it. How can it deliver on such a high standard? It makes its employees feel valued.

Regularly Wegmans will sponsor employees time away from their departments to team-build or learn a new skill or just learn about the latest promotion. If a customer were to approach a clerk stocking the frozen food and ask "How to I prepare this fresh salmon?" that clerk could answer because Wegmans taught him how (despite it not being his department). If an item is featured this month - Every employee has tasted it.

Overall Wegmans pays a fair wage, doesn't skimp on raises, and promotes exclusively from within. The benefits are outstanding. The job security solid. It can be hard to get your foot in the door because people rarely leave (and some who do for "better opportunities" often come back).

It all comes down to appreciating people and Wegmans really puts its money where its mouth is.
Pros
hr on sight, occasional employee promotions, great company to work for.
Cons
if you dont like people / customers this isnt the place for you.
the best pharmacy/store around on the east side
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester NYSeptember 30, 2013
Wegmans is the best grocery chain on the Eastern side of the USA. hopefully in the future Danny will expand to west side. AS a Wegmans employee, we strive to do or best to provide the best customer service. We have been in Fortune magazine numerous times. WE also help the community through United Way, and teach our customers to strive for their own health by making healthy choices by shopping there. Wegmans isn't just a store. its an experience, The store is clean, employees are always happy to be working there. We have buffets, a café, coffee shop. people have lunch/dinner right there in wegmans. prices are great and the food is excellent and fresh.
My personal experience as pharmacy Technician, was I got fully trained via classes, which CVS never provided me. We also have to rotate stations every hour so we are hands on with everything and can handle any situation. I love my managers there. I woerk under 9, which includes the Pharmacists. They are very lenient to scheduling and everyones family needs. I don't find a hard part of my job. I consider "hard parts" learning opportunities,. I love working at Wegamns.
Pros
everything
Cons
wegmans is only located on the east side
Great place to work for
Customer Service Representative - Gen. Merchandise (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VirginiaOctober 31, 2012
I have been working (and still am) for a little over five years now. I went for the job primarily for giving me something to do over the summer and had intentions on quitting the job at the end of the summer. However, I enjoyed my experience there so I decided to keep it. Working at Wegmans is very good. They treat all of the employees very well and are very flexible when it comes to your school schedule. They expect every employee to provide exceptional customer service in which should be the case. One nice thing that is kind of nice (not all will like this) is the fact that you have different hours each week instead of a M-F 8-4:30. This is nice for the fact that you often have a day of the week off as well as a potential weekend if you ask for one off. I plan to continue with this position until I snag a career-related position that is in my college degree area.
Pros
very flexible in scheduling, good pay compared to other places, 99-cent small coffee
Cons
no discounts in prepared foods or on groceries, 30-day money back policy is a joke (unrelated but worth mentioning)
Great place to work that looks after you, as long as you pull your weight and maybe a little more than that.
Prepared Foods Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PAJanuary 8, 2016
Having spent two years in the prepared foods department, I can say with certainty that with flexibility comes opportunity. I started in the Choose Your Meal area (like the majority of newcomers do), and within several weeks, I could reliably be called upon to switch positions where needed, especially on days when more than one member of the scheduled staff for that day called out of work.

Occasionally, opportunities to cross-train arise, and in my case, the holiday season saw me working in the Old Fashioned Subs section of the prepared foods department, which is slightly outside the scope of the normal duties of most Prepared Foods Team members, as it is a department within a department of sorts, with a slightly different skillset that requires more hands-on preparation of food. For someone who at the time had no other obligations like schooling, this was a blessing, as it meant more hours to earn money.
Pros
Morning stretch sessions to start the day off right, excellent food, lots of opportunities
Cons
difficult to transition to full-time status
Not an enjoyable place to work
Service Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJApril 23, 2014
This company was consistently on the Fortune 100 "Best Places to work" however morale was always on the very low end of the scale. Managers were often micro-managing to the point that you had no confidence to do your job; the store manager and area managers often would deny someone the room to advance or grow in a job simply because "they didn't like the person." While it was never stated in so many words, everyone who was over 40 yrs of age knew that advancement would never come their way and always there was more pressure put upon that age group, making the most minor infractions into a major disciplinary action with the seeming goal of either forcing them to resign or terminating their employment and always the younger 20 something's were the ones hired in as fresh college graduates or promoted from within when the other candidates for a job were totally qualified and more than ready to take over in a supervisory/management role.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
discriminatory managers, unstated age discrimination

4.3